• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.A

Banned
New letter: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/51261

New (well, kind of) trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMrFXcqvk4

Hello again to all you FFXIVers out there, and to all of you looking forward to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Letter from the Producer #33, incoming!

Well, I’m back from ChinaJoy and the blazing hot metropolis that is Shanghai, and now my sights are leveled on Cologne and gamescom 2012. At the same time, we’re busy preparing a little something special for the upcoming 25th anniversary of FINAL FANTASY, and getting ready for the FFXIV alpha test. The heat is on—figuratively and literally.

Like I wrote last time, there’s been a lot going on. The new teaser site’s gone live, the new game title’s been announced, the new logo’s been revealed, and a new trailer’s been released. We’ve thrown a bunch of stuff out into the public, and now we’re finally shifting into full-blown A Realm Reborn mode.

There’s tons of topics I’d like to get into with you—what’s on the teaser site, what’s in the trailer, the imagery of the new logo, the meaning of some of the keywords we’ve been dropping… But in this letter, I’m just gonna talk about what’s going on in the trailer. Hope that’s cool for now.

The title of the trailer is The Fate of Eorzea, and in editing, the cuts, voiceover, and music were put together with the aim of appealing to people all around the world in a big way. That’s why it might look a little different from other FF series stuff you’ve seen up till now. We tried to make it as much like a hit Hollywood blockbuster trailer as we could.

I know you’re all jonesin’ for some in-game footage, though, and I promise it’s on the way. We’re going to be introducing some of the new content and features, doing walkthroughs on some maps, and showing the overhauled combat and Battle Regimen systems. It’s all going to be coming gradually as part of A Realm Reborn’s marketing leading up to release. I know that’s a bit longer than some of you would like to wait, but I hope you’ll bear with us and keep an eye out for it all!

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn isn’t meant for any one region or specific generation of gamers. Whether you know FF or don’t, whether you’ve ever played it or not, whatever hours you keep, whatever language you speak—it’s a game meant to be enjoyed by anyone in any part of the world.

I hate to repeat myself, but I really want to show the appeal of A Realm Reborn in a gradual and easy-to-understand way, even to people who don’t know anything about the FINAL FANTASY series.

Still, I admit there’s a bit of a persistent traditionalist in me. I did want to use the FF Crystal Theme in the BGM of the trailer, but in the end I decided that it just didn’t fit the vibe. This first trailer really needed something with more punch.

So after really having that inner voice nag at me for a while, I decided to have another trailer made up, which we did thanks to the hard work of the Visual Works crew, Masayoshi Soken and the others from our sound team, and our marketing and PR teams.

For old-school FF fans out there like me, I hope that you can feel a nice mix of the old and the new—some nostalgia and some novelty. This is the second trailer for the game. The last one was The Fate of Eorzea. Let’s go ahead and call this one A Realm Reborn. Boom. That just happened.

And what a rebirth it’s gonna be! The disaster that will usher in the Seventh Umbral Era is threatening Eorzea with darkness and danger. The themes of destruction and rebirth are more powerful than ever for FFXIV, and so what better time to drop a few keywords in the trailers to hint at what’s on the way in the wake of the coming catastrophe. I think it’s a little something special for those playing the game now, since it shows the worlds of the current version and the future version side by side in a way that hasn’t been done before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMrFXcqvk4

Alright, let’s get back to the Eorzea of the current version. Patch 1.23 went live a few days back, and just like with 1.22, we are going to be releasing a 1.23a and 1.23b as well. Look for 1.23a to go live on August 13.

The Seventh Umbral catastrophe looms! Get ready for the grand finale, and dive headlong into your final adventure before the realm is reborn!

Talk to you next letter, or on the forums!

Alright gamescom, here I come!
Bis bald!

Loona

Is it me or it seems that Dalamud was spitting out what gets to become the new Crystal Tower in that trailer? Those close-up pics of the dropping moon already made it look strangely artificial, but that would make it even odder.
Then again, it's Final Fantasy, high-tech relics from an ancient age are nothing new to the series, even if I don't recall this particular application before.

Took a crack at Toto-rak yesterday, it was almost soloable as a level 40 pugilist (I went with a level 25 that shouted for it, since it sounded like it required a group), and other that the final scorpion boss and its annoying adds it went rather smoothly, considering I new nothing about what was expected, but the game was good at guiding you - just followed the green dots in the map, picked up the ???s as they appeared, and the shinier "pools" and nearby guiding spots were eloquent enough about the requirement of 4 cell thingies from the ???s to open nearby light gates, next time I try it should be a lot faster.

To anyone who's feel following the Maelstrom GC path, is there any voiced cutscene where they actually pronounce the Admiral's name?
Seriously, how does one pronounce "Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn"? The closest I can think of sounds like "Merryl Blowfish"... no wonder she goes by her title...
That a japanese person may have come up with the name when most of the syllables in that don't even exist in that language is kinda surprising.

Riposte

Is it me or it seems that Dalamud was spitting out what gets to become the new Crystal Tower in that trailer? Those close-up pics of the dropping moon already made it look strangely artificial, but that would make it even odder.
Then again, it's Final Fantasy, high-tech relics from an ancient age are nothing new to the series, even if I don't recall this particular application before.

Took a crack at Toto-rak yesterday, it was almost soloable as a level 40 pugilist (I went with a level 25 that shouted for it, since it sounded like it required a group), and other that the final scorpion boss and its annoying adds it went rather smoothly, considering I new nothing about what was expected, but the game was good at guiding you - just followed the green dots in the map, picked up the ???s as they appeared, and the shinier "pools" and nearby guiding spots were eloquent enough about the requirement of 4 cell thingies from the ???s to open nearby light gates, next time I try it should be a lot faster.

To anyone who's feel following the Maelstrom GC path, is there any voiced cutscene where they actually pronounce the Admiral's name?
Seriously, how does one pronounce "Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn"? The closest I can think of sounds like "Merryl Blowfish"... no wonder she goes by her title...
That a japanese person may have come up with the name when most of the syllables in that don't even exist in that language is kinda surprising.

I'm not sure who named the characters, but one of the localization team made a post somewhere explaining how to say her name, why she is named that, and how Roe names work.

BLCKATK

I prefer greatly this trailer than the other.

Agreed. That new trailer was way better and pumped me up for the game way more then the first one could. All the sped up footage in the first trailer took away the awe, now that I can see it, I'm much more impressed.

Coldsnap

24625454.jpg

creid

Is it possible to do the summer festival stuff at this point? On day 1 I got a little bored of it and figured I'd do it later. When I went to the balloon area the other day, there were only 3 or 4 people firedancing, and we failed every time. Should I basically do group seasonal stuff the first couple days or not at all?

Allard

If I remember correctly its pronounced: 'Merryl-wyb' 'blow-fess-when'

desu

Is it possible to do the summer festival stuff at this point? On day 1 I got a little bored of it and figured I'd do it later. When I went to the balloon area the other day, there were only 3 or 4 people firedancing, and we failed every time. Should I basically do group seasonal stuff the first couple days or not at all?

As long as events are designed in this shitty way, you should do them in the first days. Afte that you might have no more chance to compelte it, unless you get your whole LS to help. Stupid event and stupid design choices :s. A week after the content has been released its not possible to finish it anymore...

CaLe

I just subscribed, I have a couple of questions:

- I bought the game at launch and never subscribed before. Am I too late to be part of the Legacy system ?

- I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to the controls. Is there any way to customize them to be as close as possible to most MMOs ?

- What class would you recommend for a beginner who would like a DPS build ? I plan to play most of the time solo.

- Can I get an invite to the guild ? :)

- Anything else I should know ?

Thanks !

Ravidrath

I just subscribed, I have a couple of questions:

- I bought the game at launch and never subscribed before. Am I too late to be part of the Legacy system ?

- I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to the controls. Is there any way to customize them to be as close as possible to most MMOs ?

- What class would you recommend for a beginner who would like a DPS build ? I plan to play most of the time solo.

- Can I get an invite to the guild ? :)

- Anything else I should know ?

Thanks !

- No, it required three months of sustained payment before June 1st

- Nope, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got there. If you have a controller, I recommend trying that, because much of the game was built around that

- If you want easy soloing, my recommendation would be Marauder / Warrior - it's a tank in party play, but it's a beast when soloing

- Post your character name here, and I'll look out for you and try to get you a pearl

- Don't waste your anima, do story quests and hurry to Level 30 if you want your Goobbue mount - it goes away on Monday!

Loona

It's a bit late for Legacy now.

You can customize the controls for movement and camera, it was one of the 1st things I did so it'd be more similar to FFXI.

Pugilist, marauder and lancer all seem like good DPS classes to me - I favor pug, but its early healing skill is quite handy to use in other classes; lnc has a skill that practically garantees a hit if you miss, so that's handy; those mrd axes speak for themselves in the DPS front, and their Bloodbath helps keep you alive while you're delivering your heavier hits.

Edit: too late, was typing on the phone...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
- Don't waste your anima, do story quests and hurry to Level 30 if you want your Goobbue mount - it goes away on Monday!
I'm 26 at the moment and have 95 anima. What's the quickest way to get to 30? I'll try to get to GAF linkshell but that might be hard due to the time zone difference (I'm in Japan).

kiryogi

Banned
As long as events are designed in this shitty way, you should do them in the first days. Afte that you might have no more chance to compelte it, unless you get your whole LS to help. Stupid event and stupid design choices :s. A week after the content has been released its not possible to finish it anymore...

You can still do it for a price. . .

CaLe

- No, it required three months of sustained payment before June 1st

- Nope, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got there. If you have a controller, I recommend trying that, because much of the game was built around that

- If you want easy soloing, my recommendation would be Marauder / Warrior - it's a tank in party play, but it's a beast when soloing

- Post your character name here, and I'll look out for you and try to get you a pearl

It's a bit late for Legacy now.

You can customize the controls for movement and camera, it was one of the 1st things I did so it'd be more similar to FFXI.

Pugilist, marauder and lancer all seem like good DPS classes to me - I favor pug, but its early healing skill is quite handy to use in other classes; lnc has a skill that practically garantees a hit if you miss, so that's handy; those mrd axes speak for themselves in the DPS front, and their Bloodbath helps keep you alive while you're delivering your heavier hits.

Edit: too late, was typing on the phone...

Thanks for the replies, it's really appreciated :) (especially for writing such a long reply on the phone!)

My character name is Velaris Belmont, thanks in advance for the invite !

Edit: I will be creating a new character, mine wasn't on Sargatanas. I'll post here when it's done !

ZetaEpyon

Thanks for the replies, it's really appreciated :) (especially for writing such a long reply on the phone!)

My character name is Velaris Belmont, thanks in advance for the invite !

If you end up going with Marauder, I highly recommend leveling Pugilist up to 6 too, for Second Wind. In taking Marauder from 17 to 30 over the past few days, that one skill has made a tremendous difference in my ability to complete leves easily on my own. I have to think that the small time it would take to level that to 6 will easily be made up by its utility.

CaLe

If you end up going with Marauder, I highly recommend leveling Pugilist up to 6 too, for Second Wind. In taking Marauder from 17 to 30 over the past few days, that one skill has made a tremendous difference in my ability to complete leves easily on my own. I have to think that the small time it would take to level that to 6 will easily be made up by its utility.

Much appreciated ! Yes I will be taking Marauder. I'll follow your advice.

Ravidrath

I'm 26 at the moment and have 95 anima. What's the quickest way to get to 30? I'll try to get to GAF linkshell but that might be hard due to the time zone difference (I'm in Japan).

Levequests, probably.

As long as your gear is remotely current, once you hit 27 or 28 you should be able to move up to level 30 leves and that should make finishing the last few levels go pretty quickly.

Ravidrath

Much appreciated ! Yes I will be taking Marauder. I'll follow your advice.

Yeah, I probably should've mentioned getting Pugilist up for Second Wind.

Invigorate from Lancer is also an incredibly useful ability, but it's Level 14 and probably not worth going out of the way for in your race to get your Goobbue by Monday.

ZetaEpyon

Levequests, probably.

As long as your gear is remotely current, once you hit 27 or 28 you should be able to move up to level 30 leves and that should make finishing the last few levels go pretty quickly.

As a personal anecdote since I just did this last night, I found most of the level 30 leves easier than some of the level 20s boosted up to 29. This is as a Marauder, of course, so maybe it's different for whatever you're playing.

Ravidrath

As a personal anecdote since I just did this last night, I found most of the level 30 leves easier than some of the level 20s boosted up to 29. This is as a Marauder, of course, so maybe it's different for whatever you're playing.

Yeah, there's some variance in leves, just based on which mobs are in them and how many you have to fight at a time. In most cases, the number of simultaneous mobs is the determining factor, since their level is always pegged at whatever level you chose.

So, yeah: if you have to simultaneously fight two level 30 mobs at 27, it will be easier than fighting 3 level 29 mobs.

I'm not aware of any really good guides for leves, so it's just kind of trial and error and learning which ones are problems and which ones aren't.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Sooo Im playing again, level; 28 Lancer on Balmung.

Anybody on that server playing? Any chance to switch to the GAF server? Im playing by myself and its a bit lonely

Ravidrath

Anybody on that server playing? Any chance to switch to the GAF server? Im playing by myself and its a bit lonely

Dammit, you're so close to 30 it'd probably feel like you lost a lot more progress than you actually have, so you probably don't want us to try and convince you to start over... but it would be great to have you with us!

I don't know how much you can play before Monday, but it still should be quite possible to get to 30 before the Goobbue goes away then, so I think you should switch servers? We're pretty talkative, helpful and will make you lots of free armor and weapons.

Alternatively, you can get your Goobbue now, be lonely and sad on Balmung, and then transfer when 2.0 hits?

Lhexh

How do I know where to go to initiate the story levels and when do they start(level wise)? Last I remember was putting on a linkpearl and seeing a bunch of tarutaru kids in Gridania. lol

All of the wiki's for XIV are not as clear as XI. I understand the difference between the two, I'm just stating a fact.

BLCKATK

I'm actually on Balmung. Unfortunately I don't anything around your level (My lowest is 16 THM) but if you ever need anything, let me know. My ign is Lenz Sabre.

Mudo

I got the game a couple nights back from Amazon digital and am up to level 9 or 10 now. I started a Conjurer on Sargatanas named Xay Savage. Been running around Ul'dah trying to kill as fast as possible. I learned how to get battle leves from the Quicksand in the city and then go to the camps and do them (at least I think I'm doing that right). Is this the fastest way for me to get to 30 by next Tuesday? Any advice would be great at this point - I've read around online and some links in the OP but it's a bit overwhelming right now and I'm sure I am missing obvious things I should know about.

Also, I'd love to join the LS do I just need to message you in-game Ravidrath?

Ravidrath

How do I know where to go to initiate the story levels and when do they start(level wise)? Last I remember was putting on a linkpearl and seeing a bunch of tarutaru kids in Gridania. lol

All of the wiki's for XIV are not as clear as XI. I understand the difference between the two, I'm just stating a fact.

There will be ! bubbles over the heads of the story quest people. If you're just starting out, it's going to be from the leader of the adventurer's guild in the city you started in.

Also, you shouldn't need a Wiki as much for this, at least as far as quest and story content goes. The Journal entries have a "Map" button that shows you exactly where you need to go, and the target will be marked on your minimap when you're close to it, too.

Also, I'd love to join the LS do I just need to message you in-game Ravidrath?

I just tried contacting you in-game and you're not on, so, yeah, that's the best way.

Cend a /tell to Ravidrath Astolph and I'll bring you a pearl.

CaLe

Can I get an invite to the guild please ? My character's name is Velaris Belmont (I created a new character on the correct server this time).

Thanks !

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I'm actually on Balmung. Unfortunately I don't anything around your level (My lowest is 16 THM) but if you ever need anything, let me know. My ign is Lenz Sabre.

Oh nice! I'll look you up, my characters name is , er Blackimus Spaniard

Any good linkshells on the server?

Ravi, I'll just make the jump when 2.0 rolls around. Its too much of a time sink right now otherwise :| Is it even confirmed you can switch servers when 2.0 comes around?

Sallokin

Finally got DRG breeches tonight.

Side note. I looked up the requirements for DRG relic and I sort of had to laugh and cry at the same time. I hadn't realized that the relic quests were so crazy. I saw someone selling a double melded obelisk in the AH for 40 million. How on earth do you even make that kind of money in the game?

BLCKATK

Ravi, I'll just make the jump when 2.0 rolls around. Its too much of a time sink right now otherwise :| Is it even confirmed you can switch servers when 2.0 comes around?

Currently I'm in a little weird situation with linkshells but I actually know a pretty good one that is active a lot. The guys in there are really nice, I haven't' gone to many events in there but they are very helpful. They are called "The Social Get Together" and they've got a website. You can just find the guys to whisper there, I'll try to give them a heads-up.

http://socialgettogether.guildwork.com/

I'll add you to friends as soon as I get on.

Bento

Started playing again today, hit level 26 with my Conjurer :eek:) Give Lindl Rosenburg on the Sargantas server a whisper if you want to group up.

Teknoman

I should hope so. Would be nice to have all of GAF in the same spot.

Finally got DRG breeches tonight.

Side note. I looked up the requirements for DRG relic and I sort of had to laugh and cry at the same time. I hadn't realized that the relic quests were so crazy. I saw someone selling a double melded obelisk in the AH for 40 million. How on earth do you even make that kind of money in the game?

Alot of people have gil saved up from way back. Also I hope they completely change relic gear reqs in 2.0.

Someone NEEDS to make a .gif of the guy 46 seconds in.

ipWNKMeLeelKC.gif

Lhexh

There will be ! bubbles over the heads of the story quest people. If you're just starting out, it's going to be from the leader of the adventurer's guild in the city you started in.

Also, you shouldn't need a Wiki as much for this, at least as far as quest and story content goes. The Journal entries have a "Map" button that shows you exactly where you need to go, and the target will be marked on your minimap when you're close to it, too.

I just tried contacting you in-game and you're not on, so, yeah, that's the best way.

Cend a /tell to Ravidrath Astolph and I'll bring you a pearl.

Thanks rav

Munba

img01.png

It is time..

High above the Twelveswood, the raven circles, evermore seeking out truth hidden amongst the shadows of the trees. In today's edition, field correspondent Oliver Goodfellow examines the social upheaval that has come about on account of the recent changes exhibited by the lesser moon Dalamud.

Meteor Storm
The region of Coerthas, situated in the central area of Abalathia’s Spine, is reeling from the destruction wrought by a violent barrage of meteors. We have heard similar reports of meteor impacts and their effects on the native monster population, but never before have these celestial rocks fallen in such numbers within such a brief time, and never with such devastating focus on a single area.

The utter confusion left behind in the wake of this disaster can be no more evident than in the account of a local shepherd, who claims to have seen a great chunk of stone tear itself from the ground and fly straight up into the sky. Can we attribute this unlikely tale to a mind suffering from shock? Or might a force even more unnatural be at work here?

Scouts Lost?
News of the Coerthas meteor storm has sent the Order of the Twin Adder into a frenzy of activity. According to our sources, a squad of Eorzean Alliance scouts previously dispatched to the region has failed to report back. Efforts to ascertain the squad’s fate continue amid fears that the soldiers perished in the sudden, brutal downpour.

Putting thoughts of this tragedy aside, one might wonder why the Eorzean Alliance felt it necessary to send a reconnaissance party into what is ostensibly Ishgardian territory. I suspect an “imperial concern” featured prominently in the decision, though liaisons for the Order remain resolutely tight-lipped on the subject. As I pore over reports detailing the ever-increasing number of imperial warships on course for Mor Dhona or Coerthas, I am unable to suppress a mounting sense of dread.

One can only pray that the Order gains swift control of the situation, and sees fit to release a statement free of alarming obfuscation.

Oliver Goodfellow

I like the second trailer. The narration is better and the music made it feel more "Final Fantasy".

I still can't get a group together to get the rest of my Black Mage abilities on Aegis. I would love to complete the current storyline before Realm Reborn but not sure if I'm going to make it. Curses!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Congrats!
Thanks! Getting from level 25 to 30 took less time than I thought. The most difficult part was getting the equipment from the market wards for my level range. No one seems to be selling it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom