• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

The most difficult part was getting the equipment from the market wards for my level range.

I probably should have done this myself. Even Ravidrath was like "What the hell are you wearing?" when he helped me do the Warrior unlock quest last night. :(

Guess I should do something about that tonight, unless someone wants to make some gear for me? I have a ton of various materials on my retainer from back in the day, so maybe that's an option...

Muddimar

I've read various (outdated) threads about how a DRG is unwelcome later in the game. Is this still true? I'm starting to level my lancer right now and would hate to finally unlock the DRG job and never be welcome in a party. Also, are WHM welcome mid/late game? I was thinking about leveling to unlock the WHM job as well. Any thoughts? What classes are "needed"?

I've read various (outdated) threads about how a DRG is unwelcome later in the game. Is this still true? I'm starting to level my lancer right now and would hate to finally unlock the DRG job and never be welcome in a party. Also, are WHM welcome mid/late game? I was thinking about leveling to unlock the WHM job as well. Any thoughts? What classes are "needed"?

DRG is a good DD, but is in NONE of the ideal groups of ANY high level content.

DRG can do any high lvl content, but most ppl play by the book, that is the ideal setups everyone uses, and DRG is never in that ideal group.

That said, you won't have problem to lvl up DRG to lvl 50. But once you want to do high end content you'll face problems.

WHM/BLM/Tank(WAR or PLD)/BRD are the classes needed for most content. Specially WHM/Tank since every party always have at least one of them.

Edit: And this is coming from a DRG. lol

Coldsnap

DRG can do any high lvl content, but most ppl play by the book, that is the ideal setups everyone uses, and DRG is never in that ideal group.

That said, you won't have problem to lvl up DRG to lvl 50. But once you want to do high end content you'll face problems.

WHM/BLM/Tank(WAR or PLD)/BRD are the classes needed for most content. Specially WHM/Tank since every party always have at least one of them.

Just really depends. DRG is this this games Elf Hunter, a lot of really shitty geared players going DRG. For our CC speedruns we used two DRGs for princess and I'm fairly sure we are going to go heavy DRG for Garuda and Ifrit speedruns. You just gotta make sure you gear is in check, if you wearing full AF you doing it wrong.

Muddimar

Damn :/ hopefully some class changes come with 2.0... I really would like to play a DRG late game. Well, thanks for the input. Guess I'll start leveling the WHM for now I suppose.

Just really depends. DRG is this this games Elf Hunter, a lot of really shitty geared players going DRG. For our CC speedruns we used two DRGs for princess and I'm fairly sure we are going to go heavy DRG for Garuda and Ifrit speedruns. You just gotta make sure you gear is in check, if you wearing full AF you doing it wrong.

Not everyone can afford Double melded gear + explorer choker and so on, even less if you're new to the game.

As I said, DRG can effectively do every content but basically has little or no advantges over other DD in most fights, so people goes with BLM or MNK.

Mudo

I had fun playing last night thanks for the invite to the LS! I'm up to level 15 now after staying up til around 2:30 last night and DYING at work all day today from exhaustion lol. I'm planning on playing again tonight for several hours since there are basically 4 days left to get from 15 - 30.

Ravidrath

Did you guys disbanded Red Dot? i just reactivated and updating, who do i contact for a new gaf pearl, if room that is.

Logging in now, so send a /tell to Ravidrath Astolph if you're on.

PROTIP: If you're looking for a pearl, leave your character name so I can look for you, too!

I have to get in first. Tried sending a few tells, but couldn't get in touch with anyone that can invite.

What's your character name?

Muddimar

So for a CON (WHM) build. Which abilities do I want as my "additional actions"? I imagine it would be something from the THM, but I wasn't sure if another class offered something more beneficial for leveling a CON. Also, most threads I've read have extremely outdated info. Which stats do I want to pump my points into for a WHM? I've read DEX>MIN>INT=PIE=VIT?

Ravidrath

So for a CON (WHM) build. Which abilities do I want as my "additional actions"? I imagine it would be something from the THM, but I wasn't sure if another class offered something more beneficial for leveling a CON. Also, most threads I've read have extremely outdated info. Which stats do I want to pump my points into for a WHM? I've read DEX>MIN>INT=PIE=VIT?

For abilities, WHM can only use abilities from Gladiator and Pugilist, so you'll want Rampart, Sentinel, Featherfoot and Second Wind.

For your character points, dump them all into VIT and MND.

For gear, focus on Enhancing Magic, Healing Magic, VIT and MND. Some -Enmity could be good, too, but if your tank is any good you should pretty much never pull hate.

Muddimar

For abilities, WHM can only use abilities from Gladiator and Pugilist, so you'll want Rampart, Sentinel, Featherfoot and Second Wind.

For your character points, dump them all into VIT and MND.

For gear, focus on Enhancing Magic, Healing Magic, VIT and MND. Some -Enmity could be good, too, but if your tank is any good you should pretty much never pull hate.

Thanks for the response! I apologize for all the questions and such. I'm tellin' ya man, so many different contradicting threads online. It's hard to find valid info. Well. I can't wait for 2.0 so I can switch servers to the gaf server.

Muddimar

Sorry I have one more question and I swear I'm done for the day. Where in the heck is the Auction House? If there is one, how can I reach it, I'm in Limsa Lominsa atm.

Muddimar

I like the second trailer. The narration is better and the music made it feel more "Final Fantasy".

I still can't get a group together to get the rest of my Black Mage abilities on Aegis. I would love to complete the current storyline before Realm Reborn but not sure if I'm going to make it. Curses!

I'm extremely low level in comparison to your character. But I'm also on Aegis. Character name is Mirari Tzu. I need friends :(

Ravidrath

Sorry I have one more question and I swear I'm done for the day. Where in the heck is the Auction House? If there is one, how can I reach it, I'm in Limsa Lominsa atm.

Look on your map for "Market Wards." Walk over there, and you'll get a menu with a number of different locations to go to when you enter that area - choose "Ul'dahn Mercantile House," and talk to one of the NPCs to search and buy things.

To sell things, you'll need a retainer and to find an open spot in one of the specific market wards.

Kandinsky

Oh sorry name's Gregorio Kandinsky getting on right now.

Edit: I hate to do this again and yet I do it everytime I resub, a Gaffer made an awesome fullscreen thing (ie no borders when playing in windowed mode), can I have a link to that.., again? sorry :X

Edit2: My ears, all Nations have the same fest music?

Edit3: thanks for the invite.

creid

And all day and night to boot. Permanently etched in my brain.

Got in my first XP party tonight. A lot more fun than doing solo leves. Anyone here almost ready for It Kills With Fire (the Ifrit fight?) At level 35 I think I'm about ready.

BLCKATK

This tends to be true in a PUG. However melee DD (Both MNK and DRG) shine in a lot of endgame content. If the boss has a ton of additional monsters, there is literally no better class then DRG for taking them out. High damage AoE (Ring of Talons, Leg Sweep, Dragonfire Dive) plus the ability to reduce cooldown to 1 second on a WS (Keen Flurry) as well as the ability to generate TP depending on how many enemies are hit with a WS (Dragonfire Dive) makes DRG a monster. The high end linkshells actually stack DRG to Garuda.

Most players of this game have basically heard from everyone to stack BLM at all times, have a BRD play Ballad the whole time, WAR for tank and two WHM. If you want to be effective though, you gotta mix and match the classes and use them for their strengths.

In the end, DRG is a powerhouse, don't count it out!

Mature

I really need to, but its actually helping me cut down my backlog. I'll definitely be back before dalamud crashes...what sucks is that believe it or not, I STILL havent beaten Diablo 3 normal >_>
Diablo 3 normal will be there forever.

Nael_van_Darnus.png

This guy, however...

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Oh sorry name's Gregorio Kandinsky getting on right now.

Edit: I hate to do this again and yet I do it everytime I resub, a Gaffer made an awesome fullscreen thing (ie no borders when playing in windowed mode), can I have a link to that.., again? sorry :X

Edit3: thanks for the invite.

edit: http://awk.selfip.org/bordless.rar

Edit2: Festival, so all nations get the summer festival music.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I doubt I'll do it, but out of curiosity - how long would it take to clear the story if all I have right now is a lv 30 pugilist (and some other jobs on 1-12 or something)?

Buttons

BUTTONS - Where did you SB your WHM relic? I got my unfinished last night and looking for a good spot. Any tips?

Kobold stronghold. The AF Room (top left). The right wall is safe, to the left there are many Kobold standing in line. Target the second from the bottom with Aerora to pull them all (except the deadly chest mob), then run towards the door to aggro the other four Kobold. Sentinel, Holy twice. Rinse and repeat.

If you have friends to help PL you, two WHM can easily solo the room, two Aerora should kill the kobolds if you use nuking gear. :) Have fun. You just pull the mobs are normal with aerora, aggro the others and featherfoot/sentinel to claim them. Your friends can then nuke them down for you.

Muddimar

Any leveling hotspots for a level 17 char? I can't really find a mod cluster with levels 17-20... I've searched high and low throughout limsa. I found a cluster of 35+ and a cluster of 30+. Any ideas?

Zomba13

Any leveling hotspots for a level 17 char? I can't really find a mod cluster with levels 17-20... I've searched high and low throughout limsa. I found a cluster of 35+ and a cluster of 30+. Any ideas?

At that level I just did leve quests. I find that I still use leves as my main way of level and I'm 36. I've yet to get into an exp party lol.

Coldsnap

Kobold stronghold. The AF Room (top left). The right wall is safe, to the left there are many Kobold standing in line. Target the second from the bottom with Aerora to pull them all (except the deadly chest mob), then run towards the door to aggro the other four Kobold. Sentinel, Holy twice. Rinse and repeat.

If you have friends to help PL you, two WHM can easily solo the room, two Aerora should kill the kobolds if you use nuking gear. :) Have fun. You just pull the mobs are normal with aerora, aggro the others and featherfoot/sentinel to claim them. Your friends can then nuke them down for you.

Awesome idea with the holy! I am going to try that.

Muddimar

At that level I just did leve quests. I find that I still use leves as my main way of level and I'm 36. I've yet to get into an exp party lol.

I still don't understand a lot of things about the game. I completed one leve quest when I first started the game. Can you repeat them somehow? Every time I try and repeat the leve quest I've already completed, it will tell me I don't have any available or something along those lines. It's frustrating how many things I'm unaware of about this game.

cruets

I still don't understand a lot of things about the game. I completed one leve quest when I first started the game. Can you repeat them somehow? Every time I try and repeat the leve quest I've already completed, it will tell me I don't have any available or something along those lines. It's frustrating how many things I'm unaware of about this game.
You have to go back to town and pick up more leve quest after you complete them. They can be obtained at the adventurers guilds. Rinse repeat

creid

You should really be doing levequests. Go to the inn and pick up as many as you can for your level range (you'll want to pick a bunch of level 10's if you're level 17) then go to the camp where those leves start. When you start them, you'll want to pick the difficulty that adds +6 levels (so you'll go up against level 16 monsters) or +9 (if you think you can handle level 19 monsters.) When you've done all of them, you can't just redo them. You'll need to go back to the inn and pick up a few more.

You want to do this because at the end of each one, you'll get a few thousand experience as a bonus. This should make leveling a lot quicker than running around and killing random monsters.

Posting again for the new page: anyone want to fight Ifrit tonight/this weekend? Haven't started the quest yet, but I see a few other people are working their way through the GC storyline.

BLCKATK

At that level it might be a good idea to try to shout for someone and try duo'ing Shposae. Personally I have never tried it but the area seems like an ideal place for that level, plus there is gear to be found in there.

At that level it might be a good idea to try to shout for someone and try duo'ing Shposae. Personally I have never tried it but the area seems like an ideal place for that level, plus there is gear to be found in there.

I leveled Pugilist from 13-15 here to unlock BLM and remember there being some much tougher mobs in the area. Should be good up to around level 20, probably. It could be difficult going in solo though because the area was designed as a group dungeon and there are a lot of dense mob populations inside that leave little room for exploring.

Axl

Posting again for the new page: anyone want to fight Ifrit tonight/this weekend? Haven't started the quest yet, but I see a few other people are working their way through the GC storyline.

I wont be around until Sunday night ~7est, but count me in if that works!

creid

I wont be around until Sunday night ~7est, but count me in if that works!
That will probably work for me, but I'm wondering if the maintenance for the next patch will be going on then. They said Monday (I assume they're going by Japanese time,) and 7PM EST = 8AM JST.

Fake edit:
Nevermind:
[Date & Time]
Aug. 13, 2012 from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (PDT)

Buttons

ifrtinwinn1ssa.jpg

After 2 weeks of AGONIZING work, Ifrit Extreme Win! Most of the group has their relics, I just need my garuda win now for my WHM relic. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom