• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttons

Congratulations, man!

...Are you going to work on another now?

They call them Relics, and they've said they will be upgradeable when the level cap is increased, etc.

Most in the group gonna do more, I am so burned out no plans for a 2nd right now. If I ever do another one then Dragoon relic. :)

Mature

I expect everything to be a bit "easier" in ARR, in a matter of speaking. Simply in the sense that you're not having to fight the UI and the lag in addition to whatever the challenge might actually be.

Teknoman

I expect everything to be a bit "easier" in ARR, in a matter of speaking. Simply in the sense that you're not having to fight the UI and the lag in addition to whatever the challenge might actually be.

As long as Paladins still dont get the short straw :p

EDIT: I think I need a new controller. My 360 wired controller's left stick drifts slightly off center much too often now, and the XIV PC controller that was on sale awhile ago...well while it works and feels great, it seemed to have odd crashing problems awhile back, not to mention weak rumble feedback.

Ravidrath

Hot damn - got Darklight Breeches and Darklight Gloves on a single AV run, and it wasn't even a speed run. I got the gloves.

...And then more Breeches dropped in the following run, which I got.

Buttons

Hot damn - got Darklight Breeches and Darklight Gloves on a single AV run, and it wasn't even a speed run. I got the gloves.

Roughly 300+ raid runs later and I still don't have either... *gets a knife*.... I mean congrats. xD

Chemo

Alright! Just checking in after a few days of getting into this game... I'm loving it! It's the most fun I've had in an MMO since I was into FFXI way back like a billion years ago (first two expansions era).

As suggested, I chose Sargatanas as my server, because it seems like a lot (or most) of you are playing there... is there a GAF linkshell that I can join? My player name is Chemo Castronovo and I am currently a level 33 Lancer / level 15 Pugilist.

At the moment, I'm trying to get my level high enough so I can solo Eye of the Dragon and unlock the Dragoon job... but, if there's anyone who wouldn't mind teaming up with my low level self for a moment so I could go ahead and get it out of the way, I'd really appreciate it. I'm currently hanging out near the Gates of Judgment where the quest takes place, grinding up on nearby enemies, hah.

Either way, a linkshell or a team-up to grab this job would be awesome, and much appreciated. Thanks in advance, if anyone can help me with either one!

--Edit--

Actually, just got the Dragoon job.

Kyudo

Neo Member

I shouldn't have let you come to the runs. Now you'll never show up for them.

gillty

Banned
Alright! Just checking in after a few days of getting into this game... I'm loving it! It's the most fun I've had in an MMO since I was into FFXI way back like a billion years ago (first two expansions era).

As suggested, I chose Sargatanas as my server, because it seems like a lot (or most) of you are playing there... is there a GAF linkshell that I can join? My player name is Chemo Castronovo and I am currently a level 33 Lancer / level 15 Pugilist.

At the moment, I'm trying to get my level high enough so I can solo Eye of the Dragon and unlock the Dragoon job... but, if there's anyone who wouldn't mind teaming up with my low level self for a moment so I could go ahead and get it out of the way, I'd really appreciate it. I'm currently hanging out near the Gates of Judgment where the quest takes place, grinding up on nearby enemies, hah.

Either way, a linkshell or a team-up to grab this job would be awesome, and much appreciated. Thanks in advance, if anyone can help me with either one!

--Edit--

Actually, just got the Dragoon job.

Contact anyone on listed as Leader or higher for a pearl. http://xivpads.com/?ls/2211337/Members/Rank/DESC

Sallokin

I'm out of town for work and I'm starting to get the shakes. My MBP can't run this game as well as I would like it to, but I'll be damned if it isn't good enough to level up some low level jobs lol.

Thank goodness for decent hotel wi-fi.

creid

Is something screwy with the Lodestone site? I haven't been able to log into it yesterday or today. After entering in my username and password it doesn't give me an error, it just asks for my username and password again.

Edit: Figured it out, I was putting in my email address instead of my username.

vazel

Banned
I had forgotten tomorrow was the deadline to get the goobbue. I spent all day grinding and got my goobbue. It's going to be fun showing off to PS3 players.

I only have one gripe with my goobbue. When riding the fov should be increased. This is ridiculous. I know you can go into first person view but I prefer 3rd person view.
X7dEr.jpg

gillty

Banned
I had forgotten tomorrow was the deadline to get the goobbue. I spent all day grinding and got my goobbue. It's going to be fun showing off to PS3 players.

I only have one gripe with my goobbue. When riding the fov should be increased. This is ridiculous. I know you can go into first person view I prefer 3rd person view.
X7dEr.jpg
Scroll wheel? Don't know if they have zoom in/out mapped on the pad controls.

vazel

Banned
Hahaha, that worked. I was using a gamepad so I could only rotate the camera.

Edit: Figured out how to zoom the camera with the gamepad. Hold L1 + right analog stick.

aett

I subscribed today to check out the game for the first time since launch. I was disappointed to see that they haven't done anything to optimize the graphics yet -- I guess they're waiting for 2.0 for the major graphical overhaul. It just sucks that my computer can run most modern games at 60 FPS but I have to play FFXIV on a low resolution with medium-quality graphics and it STILL occasionally chugs along.

I subscribed today to check out the game for the first time since launch. I was disappointed to see that they haven't done anything to optimize the graphics yet -- I guess they're waiting for 2.0 for the major graphical overhaul. It just sucks that my computer can run most modern games at 60 FPS but I have to play FFXIV on a low resolution with medium-quality graphics and it STILL occasionally chugs along.

That's why they made a whole new engine for 2.0, later this week we should finally see gameplay from 2.0 and hopefully we get a date when the beta starts.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
ugh, im a lvl 47whm and its really frickin hard to find a party willing to help me get HOLY, that quest is ofc impossible alone.

i guess no gaf linkshell is on Ragnarok, oh well :p

creid

Just hit level 45 in THM last night. Do I need to earn my BLM job to be strong enough to finish all the GC quests? Any recommendations on what I can do (gear-wise or skill-wise) to prepare to beat these last couple quests? Almost all of my gear is stuff I've bought in the wards.

aett

That's why they made a whole new engine for 2.0, later this week we should finally see gameplay from 2.0 and hopefully we get a date when the beta starts.

I am REALLY excited for 2.0. FFXI burned me out after a while (I never made much progress despite putting in a lot of time) and the later patches that made leveling faster and soloing more viable were sort of "too little, too late" for me, so I was anxious to see what Square-Enix could do with a brand-new game. Needless to say, FFXIV was messed up... although I was so excited to play it that I tried to ignore all the flaws.

Now that 2.0 is on the horizon, I'm getting excited again. When I played last night and saw the giant meteor in the sky, it was AWESOME.

I think I'm going to make a new character, because the main class I was playing at launch (Maruader) doesn't build up to an advanced job that I want to use (Warrior) and this could be my chance to redesign my character. I've heard that there are actually quests now and not just guildleves -- are there any guides that could get me started? My playtime is pretty limited so I don't want to wander aimlessly too much.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I am REALLY excited for 2.0. FFXI burned me out after a while (I never made much progress despite putting in a lot of time) and the later patches that made leveling faster and soloing more viable were sort of "too little, too late" for me, so I was anxious to see what Square-Enix could do with a brand-new game. Needless to say, FFXIV was messed up... although I was so excited to play it that I tried to ignore all the flaws.

Now that 2.0 is on the horizon, I'm getting excited again. When I played last night and saw the giant meteor in the sky, it was AWESOME.

I think I'm going to make a new character, because the main class I was playing at launch (Maruader) doesn't build up to an advanced job that I want to use (Warrior) and this could be my chance to redesign my character. I've heard that there are actually quests now and not just guildleves -- are there any guides that could get me started? My playtime is pretty limited so I don't want to wander aimlessly too much.

cant you just equip a weapon instead of making a whole new char to change jobs? maybe im being crazy here

When you start playing 2.0 you will have the chance to redesign your current character.

There are plenty of guides and unlike FFXI (when I was playing) every quest in FFXIV actually tells you on the map where you have to go next through the journal.

Here's a pretty good site for guides. http://ffxiv.zam.com/ Also don't be shy to ask the LS for help if you're on Sargatanas.

cant you just equip a weapon instead of making a whole new char to change jobs? maybe im being crazy here

Yes all you have to do to switch class/job in FFXIV is to just equip another weapon.

aett

I know about the switching weapons/jobs thing; I was just thinking about making a different character (new race and everything). If I'm going to be able to redo that completely in 2.0, then I'll probably just stick with my old character then.

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask about the music in Ul'dah and the surrounding desert. It's like some repetitive, annoying, festival music and I miss the original, calm music. Is there some kind of event going on right now, or is this just a bizarre change?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
so, white mages, how did you manage to get holy, its impossible alone and when you /shout to ask for help on the quest no one will basically respond :lol

I know about the switching weapons/jobs thing; I was just thinking about making a different character (new race and everything). If I'm going to be able to redo that completely in 2.0, then I'll probably just stick with my old character then.

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask about the music in Ul'dah and the surrounding desert. It's like some repetitive, annoying, festival music and I miss the original, calm music. Is there some kind of event going on right now, or is this just a bizarre change?

Might as well stick with your character and change race/sex in 2.0 if you want. I think (not sure) that you'll be able to change server then as well.

The annoying festival music will go away once the festival is done which should be today with the new patch.

Ravidrath

Just hit level 45 in THM last night. Do I need to earn my BLM job to be strong enough to finish all the GC quests? Any recommendations on what I can do (gear-wise or skill-wise) to prepare to beat these last couple quests? Almost all of my gear is stuff I've bought in the wards.

BLM doesn't get as much over THM as some of the other classes/jobs, but you should still do this.

Without the spell Freeze, I think you may have a hard time putting out the damage expected of you while managing hate. And Convert will let you restore your MP so you can keep pumping that damage out, too.

And while BLM AF isn't great, there are a few decent pieces. While I haven't seen your gear, I would be surprised if you bought stuff better than AF?

...Also, bought? You should be asking the LS to make you things!

Anyway, if you see me on, talk to me about this stuff and we'll get you figured out.

so, white mages, how did you manage to get holy, its impossible alone and when you /shout to ask for help on the quest no one will basically respond :lol

That's The Wheel of Disaster, right?

You just need to get 3-4 other people for that one - shouldn't be too hard to get people in the LS to do it for you.

creid

Without the spell Freeze, I think you may have a hard time putting out the damage expected of you while managing hate. And Convert will let you restore your MP so you can keep pumping that damage out, too.

And while BLM AF isn't great, there are a few decent pieces. While I haven't seen your gear, I would be surprised if you bought stuff better than AF?
I haven't put a lot of effort into gear acquisition, I've just stuck to what they sell at the Thaumaturge's guild + what's in stock at the "auction house." I'm under the assumption that my gear is pretty bad.

...Also, bought? You should be asking the LS to make you things!
Eh, I'm not usually one to ask for favors unless I need to. I guess it sounds like I'll need to.

Anyway, if you see me on, talk to me about this stuff and we'll get you figured out.
Will do.

ZetaEpyon

Was messing about with this on my htpc last night, and ended up dropping the resolution because the text was fairly difficult to read at 1920x1080. As a result, I could read the text a bit better, but it was a bummer to lose the clarity for the rest of the graphics.

However, it just occurred to me that it supports external fonts now. Does anyone happen to have any screenshots using other fonts on hand, or play like that regularly? I'd just test it myself, but I'm stuck at work for a few more hours.

If not, I'll just give it a shot later tonight myself.

Ravidrath

We really need a NeoGAF -> XIV name translation list, or something... bugs me that I never know who I'm talking to with all of these questions.

I haven't put a lot of effort into gear acquisition, I've just stuck to what they sell at the Thaumaturge's guild + what's in stock at the "auction house." I'm under the assumption that my gear is pretty bad.

Well, in most cases, the best gear is crafted and melded. But buying stuff from the THM guild? That's madness - that stuff is ridiculously overpriced compared to what's in the wards.

NPC prices on stuff like that is really there more to act as a price ceiling than a legitimate buying option, in my experience.

Eh, I'm not usually one to ask for favors unless I need to. I guess it sounds like I'll need to.

Yeah, yeah, you're too proud, blah blah blah... I've heard it all before.

I was the same way at first, but you will enjoy the game more if you engage the LS resources you have at your disposal.

FFXIV is much more of a team effort than XI was, and we have countless high-level crafters able and willing to help you out.

All this stuff you need right now to level and be competently geared? In the grand scheme of things, it's cheap and doesn't matter - you will be doing you and the LS a service if you save your money for when it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom