• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the current story is gettign scrapped post 2.0, right? What are the essentials that I need to worry about clearing before then?

Is this:
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Main_Scenario_Quests
and this:
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_Maelstrom
enough if I can complete them through to the end?

Yes, that's all the main story quests. There's a couple more in the last update that may be there for round up things, bu basically that's all of them.

Animekatt

Those pics look absolutely stunning... I'm speechless. I'm so glad you can actually see the sun in the forest now. I'm glad I only have two jobs leveled to 50. Can't wait to take a level one out there and try to bash some of those walking trees! XD

Are they going to add any new classes with this? The new content might be a bit boring for people who have all level 50's.

It would be nice if they implement some kind of level sync or scaling option to allow all those capped players to experience all the new content with other players.

Allard

Are they going to add any new classes with this? The new content might be a bit boring for people who have all level 50's.

There is rumored to be new classes coming for 2.0 but nothing has been publicly set in stone. Yoshida has mentioned, however, that he would like to get a pet and new magic class implemented because he finds those niches lacking in the current game. How many, if any, come in 2.0 remains to be told and is likely something that will get announced closer to beta.

in this image it shows them having XP over 50. new level cap?

Also seems like characters has significantly lower health now and TP bar only goes until 1000..., I wouldn't look to much into it...

gameplay presentation from the other thread:

http://youtu.be/LM6bi4RP25o

HOLY SHIT. How I'm supossed to go back to 1.0 after seeing this? :(

Did a see a new skill for DRG?

Edit: I guess is DoomSpike, looked a bit rare and also since he was pulling it with almost no TP cost I though it was other skill lol

Allard

Also seems like characters has significantly lower health now and TP bar only goes until 1000..., I wouldn't look to much into it...

HOLY SHIT. How I'm supossed to go back to 1.0 after seeing this? :(

Did a see a new skill for DRG?

Edit: I guess is DoomSpike, looked a bit rare and also since he was pulling it with almost no TP cost I though it was other skill lol

At this point they just hope you stick around for the end of the world events :p. As for gameplay changes in the video/screens. I find it interesting that to get to the next lvl (51) its now 550k instead of 100k, which to me implies flat EXP gain where each mob gives out specific amount of EXP rather then a rounded threshold based on your level vs the mob. If so it would be a return to the old school style Final Fantasy leveling (and old school for a lot of RPGs...) where moving camps meant fighting harder mobs not because it just happened to give better rounded EXP... but fighting under leveled mobs would be atrociously slow because each new level dramatically increased the tnl.

As for the video its nice to see they went wild with the area creation and gave lots of little areas to travel through especially in regards to jump. (Yoshida must really love jumping he was demonstrating it so often I fear its going to give negative jumping group on the official forums an ulcer XD). Perhaps the best part of the map changes is the sense of scale. There are small and HUGE trees, the travel through the capsized tree trunk showed great scale with great texture work. Also like how there seems to be a lot more general movement in the environment, the spinning Aether Crystal showed this the best.

At this point they just hope you stick around for the end of the world events :p. As for gameplay changes in the video/screens. I find it interesting that to get to the next lvl (51) its now 550k instead of 100k, which to me implies flat EXP gain where each mob gives out specific amount of EXP rather then a rounded threshold based on your level vs the mob. If so it would be a return to the old school style Final Fantasy leveling (and old school for a lot of RPGs...) where moving camps meant fighting harder mobs not because it just happened to give better rounded EXP... but fighting under leveled mobs would be atrociously slow because each new level dramatically increased the tnl.

As for the video its nice to see they went wild with the area creation and gave lots of little areas to travel through especially in regards to jump. (Yoshida must really love jumping he was demonstrating it so often I fear its going to give negative jumping group on the official forums an ulcer XD). Perhaps the best part of the map changes is the sense of scale. There are small and HUGE trees, the travel through the capsized tree trunk showed great scale with great texture work. Also like how there seems to be a lot more general movement in the environment, the spinning Aether Crystal showed this the best.

It seems that TP works very different from now. Unless they just changed the values so they could show easily the skills...

And I really love the enviroments. They're full of little details and seems we won't need to worry about areas being too small

Ravidrath

That video shows a lot more than I saw at E3, and it looks damned amazing - can't wait to see better-quality footage.

Also, it looks like they touched up all of the WS and spell effects and animations - looks snappier, faster and more stylish all around.

Sallokin

Yep, I'm sold. Video presentation looked great. I really need to get my ass in gear and finish all the 1.0 content I have left.

After seeing the jumping in action, I don't know how I could have ever been ambivalent about them adding it.

Ravidrath

Wait so what is Reddot used for then? NeoGAF + others?

Red Dot is just a LS with endgame-y aspirations now. The sole criteria for being in it is actually playing the game and being online and stuff. Amazing, right?

Basically, we had to segregate pure GAFfers away from Red Dot because NeoGAF people kept logging in once, getting a pearl and disappearing forever. That was forcing us to reform the LS like every 2-4 weeks, which is a giant hassle, not to mention disruptive.

There were also a bunch of people we recruited from within XIV that had no idea what GAF was and didn't care about it.

Now that we've isolated the problem, hopefully we're done reforming the shells.

Teknoman

Red Dot is just a LS with endgame-y aspirations now. The sole criteria for being in it is actually playing the game and being online and stuff. Amazing, right?

Basically, we had to segregate pure GAFfers away from Red Dot because NeoGAF people kept logging in once, getting a pearl and disappearing forever. That was forcing us to reform the LS like every 2-4 weeks, which is a giant hassle, not to mention disruptive.

There were also a bunch of people we recruited from within XIV that had no idea what GAF was and didn't care about it.

Now that we've isolated the problem, hopefully we're done reforming the shells.

Ah gotcha.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I can't find any of the digital downloads options, so I assume square took them down for the relaunch- do boxed copies still work (as in, I wouldn't have to pay a £30 surcharge to access "2.0" or anything)?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hey all.

I've got another interview with Yoshida-san tomorrow so if you have any burning questions, let me or APZonerunner know.

Munba

Hey all.

I've got another interview with Yoshida-san tomorrow so if you have any burning questions, let me or APZonerunner know.

I would like to know if Yoshi can speak about some of the new features (yoship hinted in the last Letter) they'll put in Realm Reborn. And if the Housing/Estate basic stuff will be at launch. Thanks anyway!

Ravidrath

Hey all.

I'll repost what I posted in the other thread:

1. Can he please clarify the timeline for beta, actual release, etc.? Even with the roadmap they provided, there still seems to be a lot of confusion about this.

2. Can he talk about new classes/jobs? Specifically, can he talk about the previously misreported Summoning system, how this would affect a dedicated Summoner class, and the mysterious inclusion of Cait Sith and Fenrir in the last batch of concept art?

3. When new classes/jobs are added, will they be as "complete" as the current class/jobs? What I mean by this is will they have AF, Relics, Primal weapons, etc. from the get-go?

This stuff took WAY too long to get going in XI (more than a year for ToAU AF!), and there were some pretty bad omissions, like never putting SCH and DNC on the Salvage gear.

4. Will Ishgard be available at the launch of 2.0? Like, as a place and not a ruined husk?​

Nakazato

Hey all.

Could you ask him "What his plans are his after 2.0 is released a lot of us in the FFX|V community (see him as SEs next big thing) are worried he'll will leave and delegate X|V to someone else while while going to work on the next mine line FF game. And the switch will cause a drop in quality that he himself preached during the last few patches and months"

Mature

1. Can he please clarify the timeline for beta, actual release, etc.? Even with the roadmap they provided, there still seems to be a lot of confusion about this.
This. There's a bunch of contradictory information out on this.

Darryl

Banned

1. Can he please clarify the timeline for beta, actual release, etc.? Even with the roadmap they provided, there still seems to be a lot of confusion about this.​

Yes. I'm more curious to know about the timeline than any small details about 2.0 release. Where do current players fit into this beta? Do we keep playing alongside them, and we all meet in the middle afterwards? Do we just randomly get transferred over?​

My questions form the other thread:

1. Can you tell us more about Limits Breaks? Are they limited to certain jobs? Do they work like Skillchains in FF XI?

2. In the gameply showed, seems like skills works different from the current version, like TP cost and skill cooldowns. It was just for the presentation or we can expect changed mechanics in A Realm Reborn?

Also I agree we need more info about the beta and the full client. The info right now is very vague and confusing.

Ainaurdur

Was talking to another friend who was thinking about hopping in as 2.0 hits. I decided I want to create another character now with GAF instead of waiting for him.

Ain Kodama on Sargatanas.

Aeana

I finally bought the game. I'll probably try it out before 2.0 hits.
I'm really confused about how classes/jobs work, though. Is there something I can read that explains it well? What do I have to be to be the most powerful pure healer I can be? :eek:

ZetaEpyon

I'm really confused about how classes/jobs work, though. Is there something I can read that explains it well? What do I have to be to be the most powerful pure healer I can be? :eek:

Here's my quick and dirty explanation of the class/job interaction, anyone else is welcome to clarify or provide more details. :)

For healing, you'd obviously be looking at White Mage.

To unlock WHM, you'd need to level Conjurer to 30 and Gladiator to 15, and then you do a quest to unlock the job. The quest gives you an item that you can equip as a conjurer, and when that's equipped, you are a white mage.

The thing about equipping that item or not is that it changes what skills are available to you. With it equipped, you have access to WHM-specific skills (which must also be quested), but for other skills, you can only choose from the Conjurer, Gladiator, and Pugilist classes. Without the item equipped (and just being a Conjurer), you can choose to use skills from any class, with the exception of class-exclusive abilities.

For example, as a Warrior, I can't choose to use Protect and Cure from the Conjurer class. However, if I don't equip the WAR item, I am a Marauder, and can use those skills if I want to.

Aeana

Oh.
I guess that's another thing I missed. They added jobs like white mage somewhat recently? I was looking at stuff like conjurer and thaumaturge, trying to figure out which heals. So they kept those original classes but added FF jobs on top?

Ravidrath

Classes are more general, and solo-oriented. They set abilities from any class you've leveled, provided they aren't exclusive to the class.

Jobs are specialized for party play, and have additional skills that build on an aspect of the class. They can be customized with abilities from a subset of the other classes, but can equip fewer abilities total.

So, for example, Conjurer is mostly healing-oriented, and gets some basic damage spells and other things. White Mage is the "advanced" version of Conjurer, and gains new spells, abilities and armor from quests to make it a better healer, such as Regen. It can also equip abilities from Pugilist and Gladiator only.

And, since a White Mage is a modified/focused Conjurer, leveling White Mage or Conjurer levels them "both."

Eventually, the jobs will branch off of the classes. So, for example, you could see a Green Mage that is more buff-oriented branch off of Conjurer, meaning that when they added this, you wouldn't need to level anything again - you'd be a X level White Mage and X level Green Mage as soon as you completed the Green Mage unlock quest.

Anyway, to be the best healer you can be, you'd...

1. Level Conjurer to 30
2. Level Pugilist to 15
3. Do the White Mage unlock quest
4. Get Conjurer/White Mage to 50, doing the additional White Mage quests along the way
5. Go back and level Gladiator to 22 for Sentinel, an important defensive ability to aid in your general survival (and thus the survival of your party)

ZetaEpyon

Right, each basic class has an associated job, which are the traditional FF jobs - white mage, black mage, monk, warrior, etc. It's sort of a specialization system. As a White Mage, you'd be better at healing, but potentially less flexible than a Conjurer. Fortunately, it's not an either/or decision, you can switch between them as appropriate for whatever you're doing.

...and Ravidrath just explained it better anyway. :p

Classes are more general, and solo-oriented. They set abilities from any class you've leveled, provided they aren't exclusive to the class.

Jobs are specialized for party play, and have additional skills that build on an aspect of the class. They can be customized with abilities from a subset of the other classes, but can equip fewer abilities total.

So, for example, Conjurer is mostly healing-oriented, and gets some basic damage spells and other things. White Mage is the "advanced" version of Conjurer, and gains new spells, abilities and armor from quests to make it a better healer, such as Regen. It can also equip abilities from Pugilist and Gladiator only.

And, since a White Mage is a modified/focused Conjurer, leveling White Mage or Conjurer levels them "both."

Eventually, the jobs will branch off of the classes. So, for example, you could see a Green Mage that is more buff-oriented branch off of Conjurer, meaning that when they added this, you wouldn't need to level anything again - you'd be a X level White Mage and X level Green Mage as soon as you completed the Green Mage unlock quest.

Anyway, to be the best healer you can be, you'd...

1. Level Conjurer to 30
2. Level Pugilist to 15
3. Do the White Mage unlock quest
4. Get Conjurer/White Mage to 50, doing the additional White Mage quests along the way
5. Go back and level Gladiator to 22 for Sentinel, an important defensive ability to aid in your general survival (and thus the survival of your party)

Wouldn't be Gladiator instead of Pugilist?

Hey all.

Question: Will there be more content for light parties (4 members) like Totorak? It's hard getting a competent pickup party when you need 8 members for most of the content in the current game... I'd like more stuff just my friends and I can do by ourselves.

aett

Here's a question for Yoshida (unless someone already knows the answer): will there be any kind of "appearance" tab for gear, so you can make yourself look like you're wearing whatever gear you want? Some games do this differently, like in SWTOR there was "orange" gear which was customizable so you could keep it upgraded throughout most of the game and look how you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom