• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The new UI looks very, very kb/m oriented. I know they're making a new controller-oriented UI for PS3, but what about gamepad support on PC? The game supports it right now, right? But I don't think it'd work well with the new UI as it's presented now. Will the PC version get the new PS3 UI as an option?
Yeah, we'll probably get it as an option. Shouldn't be that hard to implement, right?

I have another question - are we supposed to get some kind of a gameplay video soon after Gamescom? I know about the one that is online now, but the picture quality is so bad I just can't get myself to watching it...

Jinko

Didn't they already show concept art for Limsa, Uldah, and Gridania? I'm pretty sure that during the gameplay demonstration that was the new Gridania (or part of it) -- I spotted what looked like a glimpse of the Archer's guild.

I thought in previous interviews Yoshida said the cities will be pretty much untouched and just ported over, or has he said otherwise since ?

The new UI looks very, very kb/m oriented. I know they're making a new controller-oriented UI for PS3, but what about gamepad support on PC? The game supports it right now, right? But I don't think it'd work well with the new UI as it's presented now. Will the PC version get the new PS3 UI as an option?

I imagine there will be the option to switch between kb/m and controller UI in the PC version, they must be aware of how many PC players enjoy playing with controller.

Worse case scenario would be to ask for it in Alpha I guess.

All this new information really makes me want to just start over from scratch.

Sending my gil and items to my new character wouldn't be that big of a problem and I don't even care about all my job levels at this point. Only thing holding me back is my gobbue mount, I think. :(

I would most likely start over from scratch if I were to play in the 2.0 beta. If you're already level-capped with all the jobs unlocked when 2.0 launches, how will you experience the story from the beginning?

Victrix

*beard*
I've been gone for a good year (pay to play scared me right the hell off), but I have to say, the 2.0 stuff looks pretty amazing.

I can't think of any case in mmo history where a game has essentially made itself into a 'sequel'. This is probably the worst possible path a game could take financially for the company, but the fact that they're still plugging away and seem determined to make something from it is heartening.

For what it's worth, I really want (and have wanted) this game to turn out well, I mean, it's Final Fantasy, and my only other option for that is FFXI (Blech).

Guess I'll pop back in another 3-6 months to see how it turns out :p

I seriously cannot think of another game that I've been simultaneously so excited for and disappointed by. What's more bizarre is how so many aspects of even launch FF14 were (and still are) amazing. The graphics, animation, music, world, writing, all top notch, but just totally let down by area design and core gameplay systems. I hope this game is redeemed completely.

Since I haven't touched this in quite a long time, is the core game worth checking out again for a month?

edit: And you desperately need a new OP with details on the new game ;)

Coldsnap

I would most likely start over from scratch if I were to play in the 2.0 beta. If you're already level-capped with all the jobs unlocked when 2.0 launches, how will you experience the story from the beginning?

Good question. Right now LNCR is my only job that isn't 50.. I sorta want to save it to level through the new story instead of blowing through it with a 50.

Jinko

Aren't the job quests remaining the same anyway ? they will probably retune them for specific area's what with those changing but I doubt the actual story will change much.

Class quests will probably be different now, but no doubt they will allow you to retry them at a higher level.

Has there been any word on them streaming the demo live in HD ?, someone needs to ask about the possibility of a future Live letter showing the game to the fans.

Now that the beta is not scheduled to start until Winter if I subscribe now can I still get Legacy status? My game was registered near the launch of the F2P beta (so well before May).

I would like to know this as well. The Legacy status requirements page specifically states:

Users with service accounts that have paid for at least 90 cumulative days of subscriptions between January 6, 2012 and the start of version 2.0 beta testing are eligible.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

Based on that quote, it seems logical to conclude that if I were to activate my subscription today, 8/17/2012, and the 2.0 beta did not begin until Winter (technically, after 12/21/2012, which is more than 90 days from now), then I would receive Legacy status.

Can anyone confirm or deny this with certainty?

creid

Based on that quote, it seems logical to conclude that if I were to activate my subscription today, 8/17/2012, and the 2.0 beta did not begin until Winter (technically, after 12/21/2012, which is more than 90 days from now), then I would receive Legacy status.

Can anyone confirm or deny this with certainty?
There's another stipulation, which should be on that page but isn't. You need to have registered the game before 5/31/2012, for some reason. Can't find the Lodestone posting, but several places reposted it (here's one.)

Salaadin

Links do nothing for me.

They were killed shortly after they were posted.

There werent any screens, just descriptions:

Arcanist
Accompanied by a familiar in battle, adepts of the art of arcanum derive their might from symbols of power born of geometric techniques hailing from across the southern seas. Held within special grimoires, these symbols lend shape to the arcanist's aether, thereby allowing him to produce myriad powerful spells.

Using magicked gemstones upon which the selfsame symbols are graven, arcanists are also able to summon forth the ephemeral being Carbuncle to carry out their bidding.

Summoner
The beast tribes of Eorzea worship and summon forth beings known as primals, among which are Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan. Yet what is a god to one man is a demon to another, for the city-states of Eorzea see these beings as a grave threat to their collective survival.

In times immemorial, there lived mages who had not only the power to summon the primals, but also the means to transmute the primals' essences, thus binding them to their will. Known simply as summoners, the existence of these men and women and their arcane art have been all but lost to the ages.

Ala Alba

They were killed shortly after they were posted.

There werent any screens, just descriptions:

Arcanist

Summoner

Thanks, I also found the images on the ffxiv forums. I think this significantly raises the chances of Arcanist and Musketeer being available at 2.0 launch.

Which is awesome, because it allows returning players to experience the early content with un-leveled classes.

(It's also awesome for totally unrelated issues. Summoner! Squee!)

creid

Yeah, I own the Collector's Edition and registered on release day.
Didn't post this earlier because I couldn't find the original source, but for some reason you also needed to start up a 90-day plan before June 31. Again, this was originally on the Lodestone but since has been taken down:

I played before the start of billing and I am no longer in my 30-day Free Trial period. What do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
You will need to register a 90-day subscription option to your account before June 30th, 2012 to be able to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.

(source)

I can't confirm with certainty that you won't get Legacy if you start paying today, but according to what SE has posted on the matter you will not. From what they've posted, it sounds like they intend for the beta to start before the end of December.

Mastamind

From TaalAzura on Reddit. (reuploaded to imgur because gaf doesnt like the original host)
http://imgur.com/RY4dZ,Ee0A2

RY4dZ.jpg

Ee0A2.jpg

Oh and i'm one of those non-logging in scum, should i log in and drop my pearl? Or does it matter at this point?

Sallokin

Awesome news. Arcanist sounds great, and summoner looks really cool from that image that's been leaked. This has been a tough week to be on vacation and unable to log in lol.

Allard

So Arcanist is the class and Summoner the job.

Intresting, thoug I was hapoing something a bit more original. Like Time Mage or something.

It fits all the priority criteria Yoshida wanted for the new version of the game, he wanted a new mage class and he wanted a pet discipline. So he made a magic class that used a pet, and created a job that gave it a "Final Fantasy feel". Its pretty obvious Typhun, Cait Sith, Siren (recent concept work) and Fenrir are going to be summons especially since when confronted by the concept work Yoshida wouldn't say whether they were mobs or summons and just said "You will know later."

Now the next question is what the second class is now that we have a pet and magic class he hinted at. Hoping Fencer or Thief/Rogue and we get Red Mage or Thief/Ninja out of it.

Munba

The colors are warm and the overall in game graphics seems very near to the A. Yoshida art.. Finally. Love this.

I noticed the music when he goes in the village.. It's a new track?

Teknoman

I've been wondering about that since the leak. Hmm...

ffta-moogle-gunner.jpg

:)

Yeah either gunner or they might just go straight pirate.

TBal.jpg

Oh and with these achievements disappearing:

Dungeons
One-upping the Antares / Kicking Sargas and Taking Names / Shaula We Dance? / Like a Batraal Out of Hell / Miser Neutralizer / Raiding the Vale / Breathless / Three Heads Are Better Than One / Making the Cut / Big Ants Don't Cry

Does that mean the current dungeons wont exist at all? If so, I hope they really think things through before just throwing in a time limit and a flood of enemies to rush through.

Allard

Yeah either gunner or they might just go straight pirate.

TBal.jpg

Oh and with these achievements disappearing:

Dungeons
One-upping the Antares / Kicking Sargas and Taking Names / Shaula We Dance? / Like a Batraal Out of Hell / Miser Neutralizer / Raiding the Vale / Breathless / Three Heads Are Better Than One / Making the Cut / Big Ants Don't Cry

Does that mean the current dungeons wont exist at all? If so, I hope they really think things through before just throwing in a time limit and a flood of enemies to rush through.

Yoshida said in an interview during E3 that Aurum Vale and Cutters Cry would be put into 2.0 and receive minimal changes while Darkhold would get overhauled due to the story nature of the dungeon being more tied to 1.0 timeline. My understanding/guess is that all dungeons in the current game that are instanced will return in 2.0 but get sizable changes to the balance and item pools to make them more cultured to the current status of the game but the basic layouts and quirks would stay the same.

Aeana

I just installed the game from the disc and the updater seems to be downloading files from 2010. I hope it's not going to just download each patch in the order they were released. I'd think SE would have been smarter and come up with a "from retail" patch that includes the latest stuff so superfluous stuff that's going to be overwritten anyway isn't downloaded, like Blizzard does. Also, the P2P aspect is absolutely killing my network. (._. )

EDIT: Found the torrent files in my documents directory, so I'll just use that.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I just installed the game from the disc and the updater seems to be downloading files from 2010. I hope it's not going to just download each patch in the order they were released. I'd think SE would have been smarter and come up with a "from retail" patch that includes the latest stuff so superfluous stuff that's going to be overwritten anyway isn't downloaded, like Blizzard does. Also, the P2P aspect is absolutely killing my network. (._. )

EDIT: Found the torrent files in my documents directory, so I'll just use that.

You can DD from here: http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php

Aeana

Thanks! They downloaded quickly and painlessly via torrent, though. And I only had to get 16 of the files and not that entire list, thankfully. I guess once I finish Darksiders 2, I'll check out the current version of the game!

Victrix

*beard*
Out of curiosity, how are they doing this from a story perspective anyhow?

Is there a summary of events up to now and leading into 2.0 somewhere?

dwix

I usually don't enjoy being a caster in MMOs, but I started leveling Conjurer and Thaumaturge this morning and I am having a blast.

Only problem is I'm not sure which one to stick with for now, both are equally fun...

Out of curiosity, how are they doing this from a story perspective anyhow?

Is there a summary of events up to now and leading into 2.0 somewhere?

It's a new plot. The meteor destroys the actual world and then we'll have 3 stories. Probably there will more than one reference to 1.0 events but the actual plotline is larghuely finished.

About a summary of events...I don't know.

I usually don't enjoy being a caster in MMOs, but I started leveling Conjurer and Thaumaturge this morning and I am having a blast.

Only problem is I'm not sure which one to stick with for now, both are equally fun...

Consider that being a Conjurer on a pt is quite a change from being solo (you won't nuke very often...)

Edit: They changed the AF stats quite a bit going from the video. AF DRG gives more STR and PIE. Also DRG body gives +15 attack power instead of +7. I can't see for the other body pieces and I didn't checked for other stats (too lazy) but the fact the "seemingly" bossted the DRG AF makes me happy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A couple questions about the reboot. It's going to be an entirely new client, right? Is there any reason to keep the old version installed if I have no intention of playing it?

Since there are going to be so many dramatic changes to how the game and classes work, are they making everyone start over and make new characters?

A couple questions about the reboot. It's going to be an entirely new client, right? Is there any reason to keep the old version installed if I have no intention of playing it?

Since there are going to be so many dramatic changes to how the game and classes work, are they making everyone start over and make new characters?

It's a new client and about keeping the old version, I think is hard to know right now, I mean probably the 2.0 version keeps a lot of the actual armor, enemy models and even character NPC models. But since we don't know if the install will use those I'd say wait a bit until we have more info. In any case I hope more than 10gb of install even with the old installation.

No, hell you want SE office burned down? lol. A lot of people invested hundreds of hours in their characters. We'll have the option to do all the tutorials as new players do, is also recommended since so many things changed. Also if people want to experience the content from a lvl 1 character, they just can change classes and level up that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom