• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Here's a question for Yoshida (unless someone already knows the answer): will there be any kind of "appearance" tab for gear, so you can make yourself look like you're wearing whatever gear you want? Some games do this differently, like in SWTOR there was "orange" gear which was customizable so you could keep it upgraded throughout most of the game and look how you wanted.
This appears to be one of the most requested features, but if I recall correctly, they recently said they don't currently have this planned for ARR launch. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it planned down the pipe line though. Yoshi-P is all about meeting and beating the industry standard for MMOs and I'm pretty sure vanity slots are nearing/are at the industry standard point.

Hey all.

I've got another interview with Yoshida-san tomorrow so if you have any burning questions, let me or APZonerunner know.

Some questions:

It was announced that players will be able to complete dungeons and other content with players from other servers. Recent MMOs have introduced a new type of technology that allows players on any server to "hop" to any other server and join their friends. Parties, guilds, social gatherings, PVP battlegrounds, auction houses, etc. are all global and cross-server. Is the server technology in FFXIV anything like this or is it restricted primarily to things like dungeon content? Are there any plans to enhance the technology to include this type of functionality?

With a focus on content based leveling, are there any plans to update the current item claim system? For example, will players be able to complete quests as a group, even if they are not in the same party, as long as they are working on the same objective?

Are there any plans to implement a level scaling system so that players of any level are able to play with each other and experience all the new content together?

Will player housing be available at launch?

Are there any plans to implement in-game voice chat?

What are the update and content plans for after the launch of FFXIV? Is there anything currently in development or is everyone focusing completely on the launch right now?

Allard

Whoo finally finished with a long work day, now I can relax and watch/take in the new screenshots. After watching toward the end of the 'walkthrough' I am really anxious to see what 2.0 is going to look like at night. They have a lot of little light sources all around the the forest which should make for interesting transitions from night to day, plus sunsets should look amazing in the forest area with all the tall shadows from the trees. Dungeons should also be interesting, we got a glimpse of a dark area toward the end and it felt so much more atmospheric then just about anything in the current game.

Some questions:

It was announced that players will be able to complete dungeons and other content with players from other servers. Recent MMOs have introduced a new type of technology that allows players on any server to "hop" to any other server and join their friends. Parties, guilds, social gatherings, PVP battlegrounds, auction houses, etc. are all global and cross-server. Is the server technology in FFXIV anything like this or is it restricted primarily to things like dungeon content? Are there any plans to enhance the technology to include this type of functionality?

With a focus on content based leveling, are there any plans to update the current item claim system? For example, will players be able to complete quests as a group, even if they are not in the same party, as long as they are working on the same objective?

Are there any plans to implement a level scaling system so that players of any level are able to play with each other and experience all the new content together?

Will player housing be available at launch?

Are there any plans to implement in-game voice chat?

What are the update and content plans for after the launch of FFXIV? Is there anything currently in development or is everyone focusing completely on the launch right now?

1.) in the 4gamer interview during E3 Yoshida mentioned content finder would work for more then just dungeons and implied it could be used to form parties for content like behest and other small party content. Specifics on 'exactly' what you can do in content finder have not come out but he emphasized that content finder would be 'like solo content', in that you can just put pool yourself for a specific task, and the game would put you in a party of players from across servers for whatever you set out to do.

2) This is a good question to ask, but it seems last we heard they were going for the need/greed/pass system or a variation of it so unless something has changed my guess is assume something closer to WoW in function rather then something like Guild Wars 2.

3) Don't know if its still on the tables (and thus a good question) but 6-7 months ago reps said there was interest internally in getting level scaling to work within 1.0 but have become silent on the subject.

4)Although maybe we can get an update, Yoshida mentioned hoping to have Company Estates live at launch, but could not say for sure if personal housing would make it but he wanted to try.

5) Unless the stance has changed, Yoshida gave a flat no to that answer as he basically said there is already plenty of 3rd party software that does it better then they could give and doesn't want it to become standard that you must talk (especially with the global servers) game.

6) good question to ask but its hard to say if we get a better answer then "We got content being planned for after 2.0 launch, but right now we are just focused on getting 2.0 out into the world before making promises to the players." (He has said something like this in the past but did occasionally give sneak peaks into mind like how he teased underwater expansion and sky expansion not to0 recently.)

King_Moc

Banned
Ask him for an option to disable the Chocobo music please. There's some excellant soundtracks in the game, but the Chocobo music stops me from hearing them.

Whoo finally finished with a long work day, now I can relax and watch/take in the new screenshots. After watching toward the end of the 'walkthrough' I am really anxious to see what 2.0 is going to look like at night. They have a lot of little light sources all around the the forest which should make for interesting transitions from night to day, plus sunsets should look amazing in the forest area with all the tall shadows from the trees. Dungeons should also be interesting, we got a glimpse of a dark area toward the end and it felt so much more atmospheric then just about anything in the current game.

1.) in the 4gamer interview during E3 Yoshida mentioned content finder would work for more then just dungeons and implied it could be used to form parties for content like behest and other small party content. Specifics on 'exactly' what you can do in content finder have not come out but he emphasized that content finder would be 'like solo content', in that you can just put pool yourself for a specific task, and the game would put you in a party of players from across servers for whatever you set out to do.

2) This is a good question to ask, but it seems last we heard they were going for the need/greed/pass system or a variation of it so unless something has changed my guess is assume something closer to WoW in function rather then something like Guild Wars 2.

3) Don't know if its still on the tables (and thus a good question) but 6-7 months ago reps said there was interest internally in getting level scaling to work within 1.0 but have become silent on the subject.

4)Although maybe we can get an update, Yoshida mentioned hoping to have Company Estates live at launch, but could not say for sure if personal housing would make it but he wanted to try.

5) Unless the stance has changed, Yoshida gave a flat no to that answer as he basically said there is already plenty of 3rd party software that does it better then they could give and doesn't want it to become standard that you must talk (especially with the global servers) game.

6) good question to ask but its hard to say if we get a better answer then "We got content being planned for after 2.0 launch, but right now we are just focused on getting 2.0 out into the world before making promises to the players." (He has said something like this in the past but did occasionally give sneak peaks into mind like how he teased underwater expansion and sky expansion not to0 recently.)

1) Yeah, I recall him mentioning this working for behest content. I'm primarily interested if they intend to expand the technology. The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 both have single server technology and it's incredible being able to party and form guilds with other players, regardless of what server each player resides on. Having a global auction house and being able to meet up for social reasons is also pretty nice.

2) I was hoping for something closer to the Guild Wars 2 functionality.

5) Personally, I would prefer using third party voice programs but I was curious about in-game chat because of the PS3 players.

Zomba13

Here's a question for Yoshida (unless someone already knows the answer): will there be any kind of "appearance" tab for gear, so you can make yourself look like you're wearing whatever gear you want? Some games do this differently, like in SWTOR there was "orange" gear which was customizable so you could keep it upgraded throughout most of the game and look how you wanted.

I think it'd be cool if they made so the low level event stuff could be used as cosmetic gear. So I could wear my yukata and gold short shorts but have the stats of my proper armour.
Not a fan of being able to use any equip as a cosmetic thing though.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys, we should have the full interview up by this weekend.

Hey one more question (not sure fi this has been asked yet).
Will those coming in from version 1 with many, if not all, classes at level 50, feel like they have less content to do? In otherwords, what are they doing to ensure that the new content is as appealing to those who have gotten/done everything in the corrent iteration of the game.

Thanks Kagari. Looking forward to your interviews as always.

Mature

Official forums have officially lost it.
I3tgB.png

Teknoman

Yeah, my gf and I recognized it instantly. They let it repeat like 6 times too while we were waiting for the Mind Eraser.

Thats awesome :D

EDIT: I fully support cosmetic gear slots. Doesnt have to be specific either, so at least that way everyone looks different, no matter the level.

Jinko

Looks great, actually looks like a modern mmo now, I like the overhead camera view. (almost looks like a diablo clone lol)

HOLY SHIT. How I'm supossed to go back to 1.0 after seeing this? :(

You don't :D

Need that trailer fighting the dragon in HD, looks like one of the party limits is meteor ?.

Mature

Snowy of the official forums translated a bit of translated a bit of a game watch article on ARR.

August 15th is a business day, so in actuality it is a limited release meant for distributors, but when it become a public release tomorrow they are planning on having a demonstration using the same material three times each day and making some great announcements for the European userbase.
Same material three times a day... I wonder if this means same material each day or same material three times a day, different each day.

Munba

That "great announcements" maybe means they are going to show the same demo every day but with a suprise every day. Maybe and hopefully :D

eidt-

- The demonstration was done through a private server located in Japan, played by Mocchi behind the stage at the Gamescom presentation.

Great.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
"If you are excited about the beta, as most Final Fantasy fans are, then you should know that current players will get special priority. You will also be allowed to use your already created character in the beta. At least eventually, and that is only the current plan, according to Yoshida."

Nice!!!!

Munba

So in ARR we'll have 3 major story to follow,

"There will be three major storylines included in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. The first is a large, overarching story, one not alike what you find in World of Warcraft. Basically, it covers the Garlean Empire and how they've invaded and how the people of the Realm are attempting to get their Realm back." Yoshida began.

He continued, moving on to detail the second story. "The second story is going to be a story surrounding the Primals which are the summons in Final Fantasy XIV and how there are many different Beast Tribes that worship these Primals and how these Primals, when summoned, drain the lifeforce of the planet. Whenever they're out, they weaken the place. Thus, the second story is going to revolve around how the people of the Realm are fighting the Beast Tribes and how they're attempting to stop the Beast Tribes from bringing this threat to the planet. There's also a bit on how the Garlean Empire is kind of involved in this as well. “

"Finally, we're going to be looking at a continuation of what is going to happen at the end of the current version. A giant entity in the sky, Dalamud, is coming towards the planet and it's threatening all life there. Basically, what's going to happen at the time Dalamud comes and the period after that, we have the story solve all those mysteries that were left untied at the end of the story.

“Of course, the story will be told through many, m any different quests. We have a large number of questions that we will be implementing and these will range from very short quests that will only hint at the background story to very Final Fantasy-esque high quality cutscenes with lots of dialogue and exposition. “

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/feature/6647/Gamescom-2012-Preview.html/page/1

"If you are excited about the beta, as most Final Fantasy fans are, then you should know that current players will get special priority. You will also be allowed to use your already created character in the beta. At least eventually, and that is only the current plan, according to Yoshida."

Nice!!!!

Thanks, Yoshi P! I'll probably create a new character for the beta.

Nice!!!!

I like that!

Jomjom

Banned
Now that the beta is not scheduled to start until Winter if I subscribe now can I still get Legacy status? My game was registered near the launch of the F2P beta (so well before May).

Munba

Translation by Reinheart of 4Gamer interview:

Could you please explain about the limit break that was shown in the movie
Y: Limit break is a new party battle system that replaces battle regimen. Would like the party members to think and decide at who is going to use at what timing.

Who has the right to use?
Y: If the gauge is full the entire party member can use. This gauge is shared within party if someone uses the limit break it gets emptied out.

Please explain how to increase that gauge
Y: Basically it will increase by just battling regularly but we also have a feature called “Fine Play” as well.

What is Fine Play?
Y: Like healing at the right timing or blocking. There is a category called nice play and by doing those the gauge increases faster.

Does the system decide if it’s fine play or not?
Y: Yes, its system side, however we are making adjustments so the balance is to a point where it’s not where you have to have fine play to increase the gauge.

It looks like limit break has several levels; is this decided depending on the amount on the gauge?
Y: Currently it’s by gauge, for this one if you can remember the limit break in “Final Fantasy 7”

Is limit break prepared per job?
Y: It’s not where there is 1 limit break per job since there are situations where it may break the balance so we deciding on this one carefully. However even if the effect is same depending on the job using the effect will be different. For example if Warrior and Paladin used the same limit break the effect will be different.

Does the limit breaks effect depend on amount of gauge or the weapon being used or would it change depending on party structure?
Y: We have idea for feature to change but currently it’s still being adjusted.

Can the limit break be used from low level?
Y: Yes, we are making it so you can use it even at somewhat low level, however there are limit break 1, 2, 3 so if you’re not high level you can’t use the higher level limit break, there is a link between characters growth. In beginning it’s like getting used to limit break system with level 1 limit break.

Okay, please explain the basic concept for the battle system.
Y: Speedy and with good tempo, finish off feeling good is what is in mind while being created. In 2.0 FFXIV, unlike current FFXIV it starts off with TP already so you can use weapon skills or ability to fight. For each monster the balance is set where you can defeat by using about 5 weapon skills so, if you think of it as time it’s set so it’s done in about 20 seconds.

So, if you’re fighting with a party it fill finish faster?
Y: Yes, It’s not where you kill the monster to obtain experience points. So by defeating monsters while doing a quest won’t give you must experience points. The system is set where you get lots of experience points after completing the quest.

When looking at the screenshot with Dragon Dive it shows 9999 damage, like offline Final Fantasy series is the balance set to where the capped damage will continuously show?
Y: Right now we’re taking screenshots in region with only level 1 mobs and in that type of area level 50 Dragoon is fighting therefore it’s doing 9999 damage.

Is it OK to think that this is the actual balance?
Y: Yes we are making adjustments towards alpha test so it’s close to alpha’s image.

Looking at the screenshots shown this time, there are trees with leaves changing colors, is this where it draws the seasons when following the story?
Y: When you move to the next zone we have changed the fields image dynamically to give the feeling of adventuring through a new field.

Are there areas where you have to use chocobo’s jump to be able to reach?
Y: We don’t have any place set where you need to use jump to get up. This is not an action game so I don’t think it’s right to have people feel “I don’t want to do this anymore” for those not good at climbing steps. We have it where you can jump anywhere so even when traveling through the field so I think it’s enjoyable.

I see, so the jump action was added to enjoy the traveling.
Y: Yes that is correct.

In the last few information released, Dragoon comes up a lot but is there something particular about the Dragoon? Also could you please explain how many jobs you are planning at the service start?
Y: The reason for Dragoon is because it’s FF like. Players from around the world likes Dragoon and also it has abilities that shine. And I like Dragoon as well (laugh).
At start timing we will at least have the currently existing jobs. For additional jobs/class please wait a little bit more.

How many type of Gear Set are there to switch gear instantly?
Y: It’s actually quest based and at first you start with 1 and at timing where you learn the armory you get one more where you can use between two classes. Later by clearning quests the gear set will increase.

Is there a limit to amount of Gear Set?
Y: I believe it should match the amount of class/jobs being increased so currently we don’t have anything decided.

For those inside the Gear Set, will those be counted as items being carried?
Y: It won’t. So it won't show in the inventory .

So, the items you have carrying are those not equipped and items that are expendable and such
Y: The gear you obtain from rewards will go into inventory but for gears that is set in the gear set will be on the gear set side so it won’t fill up the inventory.

So you can think of Gear Set as special inventory then
Y: Yes if you could think of it as a gear specific inventory. Earlier we called it Mannequin

I see, so the image is like walking around with a Mannequin
Y: Yes

The small villages are worked into and it’s said the NPC’s have peculiar movements but is it OK to think that quests happens in those areas?
Y: Of course

From early stages those NPC have those roles?
Y: Yes, when you first reach a area by following the “!” (Exclamation mark) it leads to another ! We are currently making those links. By playing just like that you can reach level 7-8 fast. Also that also is linked to learning the game system so it will differ from current play style.

So by following the story the game system can be learned naturally correct?
Y: Yes, so like if you’re playing the current FFXIV it may feel like you’re being limited to what you can do. If you can do anything you will fall under panic mode so at the early stages we have put a limit on purpose.

After you have taken charge the tutorials have been worked on a lot but it’s going to change even more?
Y: Yes, the previous one isn’t going to be left.

So what’s going to happen to the tutorials?
Y: For example there is a specific UI for camera control by doing that you clear 1 quest. It’s made so by playing you can understand them. Also there are stuff like 10 categories a new player needs to go through and by clearing those you can obtain the starting gear, by understanding the story and system we have set where you can obtain stuff that will help on your adventure.

Should current players with Level 50 also go through this?
Y: The battle system will change a lot also so I think it’s good to do them.

Can current level 50 players use that level to start the new tutorial quests?
Y: You will be able to play those quests which flags are not up. (Not cleared)

For completely new players who just started about how long would it take to understand the system in general
Y: The answer to that one will change depending on the definition of system in general. For myself I am thinking of level 15 as an ideal level for setting up a party and trying out a dungeon. If you don’t sidetrack to get to that point probably would take about 30 hours.

Was it planned to structure it so it takes 30 hours or did it end up that way after making the tutorial quests?
Y: We had 30 hours as a target when making. We are working on the amount of message or the time it requires to clear one content.

Why did you plan 30 hours?
Y: If the starting point is too fast it would make the later stages hard, also if you try to cram everything at once you can’t remember them. By learning the official you have to use them several times or you won't learn it, thinking of that it’s about 30 hours. If you play 2 hours a day it’s about 2 weeks timing. If you’re playing just for efficiency you could probably get through much faster (laugh)

In current FFXIV aside from quests there are guild leve where you take an order to do something, for those how will you adjust them?
Y: For basic you just need to follow the quests, that how it’s made so we have it where you can’t start guild leve till you’re level 10. Level 10 is a point where you first graduate from beginner and that is where you can first take on leves. For those who don’t like read texts or those don’t mind repeating you can play the leve’s

I see
Y: There are lots of contents to choose from so we have it set where the obtainable EXP isn’t good just by doing one. For those who want to gain EXP efficiently I think it’s best to do different stuff equally.

What are your thoughts on how much party play is required?
Y: For content we have stuff for parties and solo. Also there are public contents which is in between. Basically it’s OK to think that the stuff that shows up in content finder are for parties, others are for solo play. Also when you login or change areas we have it where it shows recommendations of what you should try out.

Is that decided on players situation?
Y: It will display a list of contents depending on the considering the congestion of the content. For those players oriented to party play, party based content will be displayed

So that’s kind of system will be prepared.
Y: In MMORPG there are lots of stuff you can do so at around level 20 you will feel like you don’t know what to do. Would like to use this in those type of situations. Also the 10 contents will show up in the list and by playing all of them it will be about 2 hours.

Thank you

Riposte

Why would they call it limit break? They are really going overboard with the FF7 references. Doesn't even make sense vs something like Gambit or Skillchain... personally, I think it should have its own name.

Fine Play sounds cool though.

creid

Goddamn this stuff sounds so good. Amazing how they seem to have gone from being much worse than most MMOs to adding several great ideas at once.

Why would they call it limit break? They are really going overboard with the FF7 references. Doesn't even make sense vs something like Gambit or Skillchain... personally, I think it should have its own name.

Fine Play sounds cool though.

Limit break is the standard terminology. I think FF7 was the first game to use the name officially, but even in systems where it was called something else, it is still generally referred to as a limit break. It's a coined term that resonates with the Final Fantasy name and fanbase, so I can see why they chose to use it. It sure beats the heck out of "Battle Regimen".

Teknoman

Y: We don’t have any place set where you need to use jump to get up. This is not an action game so I don’t think it’s right to have people feel “I don’t want to do this anymore” for those not good at climbing steps. We have it where you can jump anywhere so even when traveling through the field so I think it’s enjoyable.

Awww...guess its not that big a deal.

Zomba13

Even if there aren't any jumping specific areas I think jumping will help loads. Being able to jump over those annoying small ledges and fences.

All this new information really makes me want to just start over from scratch.

Sending my gil and items to my new character wouldn't be that big of a problem and I don't even care about all my job levels at this point. Only thing holding me back is my gobbue mount, I think. :(

I'll be getting a new laptop soon and I think I want to start playing a MMO since it'll be my first gaming laptop. I've only played one MMO before, Lord of the Rings Online, which was decent. Convince me to take the plunge!

Jomjom

Banned

Trust me they have this in SWTOR for the datacrons. You don't want it! MMO platforming is so bad, it's second only to FPS platforming.

Allard

Anyone else notice the new bit of UI in the producer letter? Showed what looks like the new class ability menu, an interesting observation is that on top of the 7 combat classes we have now there are 2 new ones that are too blurry to see (and may just be temp 1 temp 2 for all we know) You can tell its the 7 combat classes because of the name length and the icons next to the name. Gladiator, Pugilist, Marauder, Lancer, Archer, Conjuror, Thaumaturge and then two other classes.

Mature

Anyone else notice the new bit of UI in the producer letter? Showed what looks like the new class ability menu, an interesting observation is that on top of the 7 combat classes we have now there are 2 new ones that are too blurry to see (and may just be temp 1 temp 2 for all we know) You can tell its the 7 combat classes because of the name length and the icons next to the name. Gladiator, Pugilist, Marauder, Lancer, Archer, Conjuror, Thaumaturge and then two other classes.
Ah, the ever perceptive Allard!

The list sort of looks like (as far as size):
-Gladiator
-Pugilist
-Marauder
-Lancer (Selected)
-Archer
-Conjurer
-Thaumaturge
-Arcanist
-Musketeer

4qcCB.jpg

Just saying!

Riposte

From what I can see, it might be the case that there isn't any big cities anymore, just a chain of encampments. I wish someone would ask about that.

King_Moc

Banned
Trust me they have this in SWTOR for the datacrons. You don't want it! MMO platforming is so bad, it's second only to FPS platforming.

This. Platforming in SWTOR was appalling. It probably is in most MMO's. An online world designed for turn based battling is never going to be ideal for precision jumping.

Still, you can jump over fences and small rocks now, so i'm happy.

Nice catch! Hype +1

From what I can see, it might be the case that there isn't any big cities anymore, just a chain of encampments. I wish someone would ask about that.

Didn't they already show concept art for Limsa, Uldah, and Gridania? I'm pretty sure that during the gameplay demonstration that was the new Gridania (or part of it) -- I spotted what looked like a glimpse of the Archer's guild.

hitsugi

As someone who played FFXI for years (from import through a few years of the NA release), and had almost no interest in XIV.. I have to say this looks amazing.

Aeana

The new UI looks very, very kb/m oriented. I know they're making a new controller-oriented UI for PS3, but what about gamepad support on PC? The game supports it right now, right? But I don't think it'd work well with the new UI as it's presented now. Will the PC version get the new PS3 UI as an option?

Mature

The new UI looks very, very kb/m oriented. I know they're making a new controller-oriented UI for PS3, but what about gamepad support on PC? The game supports it right now, right? But I don't think it'd work well with the new UI as it's presented now. Will the PC version get the new PS3 UI as an option?
Yoshi always talks about supporting all facets of play on pc and console so I'd be very surprised to see it missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom