• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loona

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/52578-Triple-Triad-in-2.0-Make-it-happen-devs%21

For some reason Yoshi P thinks games like this need to have some kind of reward. Playing is fun and that's rewarding enough for me. Gimme Triple Triad (or Tetra Master) Yoshi!

There's something of a precedent in FFXI with things like Pankratium, which nobody touched until they made it a mandatory step to the Zeni Notoriius Monster battles in the ToAU areas, and even then, those who didn't weren't too keen on feeling they needed to do it.

So it's understanding from Yoshi's point of view, their other MMO has put a lot of resources into sub-system that get next to no use, and he has higher priorities like practically remaking the game from scratch, detours like that really wouldn't help at this point.

I also approve of that character's pics in a new OT - it clashed completely with the feel of the rest of the game, which made him memorable, so it should be a curious oddity for any curious people checking a renewed topic.

Eliciel

On which server would you start playing if you don't know the game at all, but you have pretty extensive mmo experience. Is there anything I should know about certain servers. btw. I'm from Europe if this is of any relevance for this. But don't get me wrong I enjoy it much more talking english and meeting people all over the world no matter where they come from. In general I'd like a populated server with a pretty good mixture of nationalities. So what do we got?

ZetaEpyon if you read this, thanks for your help concerning my account. It actually worked for me with the phone number ( and if you don't remember I had forgotten my Square Enix ID ;)) So, yeah, Thank you very much :D

On which server would you start playing if you don't know the game at all, but you have pretty extensive mmo experience. Is there anything I should know about certain servers. btw. I'm from Europe if this is of any relevance to this ;)

ZetaEpyon if you read this, thanks for your help concerning my account. It actually worked for me with the phone number :D

Most of us on neogaf are playing on Sargatanas and we have a few EU players on there too. (I'm EU)

Mature

I don't know if anyone made this connection yet, but I didnt see it so:

FINALFANTASY_XIV_ARR_PUB_18.jpg

Looks a bit like Siren

Feel free to mock if obvious, but I saw people saying stuff like it was a reimagining of Garuda or it was related to Garuda or something. Having made the connection, I'm pretty confident it's just Siren.

Edit: IonicSnake = Lirion? Megaton.

I don't know if anyone made this connection yet, but I didnt see it so:

Looks a bit like Siren

Feel free to mock if obvious, but I saw people saying stuff like it was a reimagining of Garuda or it was related to Garuda or something. Having made the connection, I'm pretty confident it's just Siren.

It's Siren, yes. It's official. Or at least, that's what the game.watch page said.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120815_553349.html

Under that creature, it says "Monster (Siren) artwork"

King_Moc

Banned
On which server would you start playing if you don't know the game at all, but you have pretty extensive mmo experience. Is there anything I should know about certain servers. btw. I'm from Europe if this is of any relevance for this. But don't get me wrong I enjoy it much more talking english and meeting people all over the world no matter where they come from. In general I'd like a populated server with a pretty good mixture of nationalities. So what do we got?

ZetaEpyon if you read this, thanks for your help concerning my account. It actually worked for me with the phone number ( and if you don't remember I had forgotten my Square Enix ID ;)) So, yeah, Thank you very much :D

Most of us on neogaf are playing on Sargatanas and we have a few EU players on there too. (I'm EU)

EU here as well. There's always plenty of people on whatever the time, it seems. Both on the server and the linkshell.

creid

staticneuron and (whoever Ramza Xiv is) and anyone else who needs it or wants to help: I've finished the BLM quests and I'm ready to try United We Stand again tonight. Should be on at about 7pm EST.

ZetaEpyon

Cool, glad it worked out for you!
It's kind of ridiculous how hard it is just to find a dang phone number, but what can you do...

Teknoman

This must be a joke, this game was an still is horrible, all they did was show pictures and one leaked bootlegged gamplay video, where nothing was really explained.... As in who knows what will end up being in ARR.

I know I should leave it alone, but the FF nerd in me wants to set this guy straight so bad.

Who's primal would this be? she reminds me of the slpyhs but dont' they worship rumah ?

The kobold?...I don't know, and the Sylphs primal being Ramuh is just speculation. (giving the hints it might be very possible, but nothing confirmed).

Probably they'll introduce more beastmen since we have confirmed Shiva and Titan also.

Teknoman

The kobold?...I don't know, and the Sylphs primal being Ramuh is just speculation. (giving the hints it might be very possible, but nothing confirmed).

Probably they'll introduce more beastmen since we have confirmed Shiva and Titan also.

Kobolds should be Titan. Sahagin will most likely show up early in ARR with Leviathan.

Ala Alba

Who's primal would this be? she reminds me of the slpyhs but dont' they worship rumah ?

Chocobo primal, obviously. I mean, what else could it be with those feathers?

Edit: Siren seems a little redundant, honestly. Two wind primals? If not wind, what else would Siren be?

Teknoman

Chocobo primal, obviously. I mean, what else could it be with those feathers?

Edit: Siren seems a little redundant, honestly. Two wind primals? If not wind, what else would Siren be?

Status effect spammer? Cause poison, mute, and so on? More of an endurance battle.

Allard

The only primals we don't know who they belong to are Ramuh and Shiva with Ramuh heavily speculated to be the Sylph Primal (Due to the symbols in their little outlets plus the constant heavy thunderstorms in the Black Shroud). Technically the Xali which have been associated with Gridania are more known in North East Coerthas and come from a territory not quite in game yet and if you take them out the sylph are really Gridania's Beastmen. The original main quest line for the game says they have their own primal but fear using it and want to stop other beastmen from using theirs.

Titan is Kobolds, Leviathan is Sahagin, Ifrit the beast tribe in Thanalan, Garuda the Ixali, Moggle Mog for the moogles (lol) etc. My guess is the new cyclops mobs that got introduced with Aurum Vale are the beastmen for Shiva and we might see more of them in 2.0. They will be this games Gigas.

As for Siren, my guess is she might be a wandering Primal without a host. Remember in the Opening movie for 1.0 launch the primals burst out into the world and there were hundreds of them, I doubt they all got a host species and some might be looking for someone to serve as a portal into the real world.

staticneuron and (whoever Ramza Xiv is) and anyone else who needs it or wants to help: I've finished the BLM quests and I'm ready to try United We Stand again tonight. Should be on at about 7pm EST.

I will be there.

Status effect spammer? Cause poison, mute, and so on? More of an endurance battle.

That sounds like a pain. But then again, I haven't seen any real reason to use esuna so maybe that would be good for WHM's to use some abilities.

The only primals we don't know who they belong to are Ramuh and Shiva with Ramuh heavily speculated to be the Sylph Primal (Due to the symbols in their little outlets plus the constant heavy thunderstorms in the Black Shroud). Technically the Xali which have been associated with Gridania are more known in North East Coerthas and come from a territory not quite in game yet and if you take them out the sylph are really Gridania's Beastmen. The original main quest line for the game says they have their own primal but fear using it and want to stop other beastmen from using theirs.

Titan is Kobolds, Leviathan is Sahagin, Ifrit the beast tribe in Thanalan, Garuda the Ixali, Moggle Mog for the moogles (lol) etc. My guess is the new cyclops mobs that got introduced with Aurum Vale are the beastmen for Shiva and we might see more of them in 2.0. They will be this games Gigas.

As for Siren, my guess is she might be a wandering Primal without a host. Remember in the Opening movie for 1.0 launch the primals burst out into the world and there were hundreds of them, I doubt they all got a host species and some might be looking for someone to serve as a portal into the real world.

Is it possible that each playable race has their own primal in the world even though they didn't summon it? Or even more to the point, the twelve that we worship might be primals themselves.

Allard

Is it possible that each playable race has their own primal in the world even though they didn't summon it? Or even more to the point, the twelve that we worship might be primals themselves.

I'm trying to remember all the lore stories people hypothesized before the GC quests started showing up. Ifrit (in the lvl 38 Main quest from the games launch) says we have the capacity to summon our own primals, its not said whether that is for the people of Eorzea or each individual species had their own special one. My understanding is that it is up to the primal to give aid upon summoning, but the elemental 6 have a huge ego problem and talk of the other primals as if a heathen taint (Ifrit referencing, Garuda, Titan, and Leviathan). So its not that each race is given one primal, but rather each beastmen 'worships' a specific primal and the other primals are not gods worthy to be worshiped. Ifrit asks us to worship him and forsake all the other primals and gods or be burnt to a crisp. He also says he follows the one true god, the Paragon.

So for summoner it could be a simple case of lesser primals who have decided to forgo the need to worship a single deity and commune with a group of primals that wish to aid adventurers who can gain acceptance from them. The elemental primals however are so full of themselves they won't accept being summoned by someone unless they worshiped them and only them (or in the case of being free-company summoned, requires a 'totem' from besting one of them and then a communal worship to bring that summon out for a one time only favor).

Jinko

That makes sense, maybe Siren is planned as a summon and not a primal ? or does it specifically say primal in the JP text ?

It would make sense having 2 wind avatars, one as a primal and one as a summon.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
That makes sense, maybe Siren is planned as a summon and not a primal ? or does it specifically say primal in the JP text ?

It would make sense having 2 wind avatars, one as a primal and one as a summon.

The gamewatch article just says monster.

Allard

The gamewatch article just says monster.

Fenrir and Cait Sith had the same tag line when they got revealed and Yoshida was very reserved on saying whether they were monsters you fought in the field or not and said we would find out 'later'. We know summoner is coming thanks to the accidental leak and outside of like 1 final fantasy game Siren has been a big main stay summon, more so then even Garuda despite it getting neglected in FFXI.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Fenrir and Cait Sith had the same tag line when they got revealed and Yoshida was very reserved on saying whether they were monsters you fought in the field or not and said we would find out 'later'. We know summoner is coming thanks to the accidental leak and outside of like 1 final fantasy game Siren has been a big main stay summon, more so then even Garuda despite it getting neglected in FFXI.

That makes sense if it's to hide the summoner job:) How did they label the art work for the known primals?

Allard

That makes sense if it's to hide the summoner job:) How did they label the art work for the known primals?

In the past? No idea since we saw Ifrit before we ever saw concept work for him. Same for all the Primals really, hell outside of Garuda 2.0 work is the first time we have seen visible artwork done of the primals. But to followup my previous observation this is the name of the files they gave for Fenrir, Cait Sith and Typhun.

Monster_Typhon.png, Monster_Cait-Sith.png, and Monster_Fenrir.png

I might add they gave the Monster_ notation to Succubus and Tiamat as well. The only reason I bring it up is because Yoshida refused to answer exactly if they were stuff we were going to fight or not and said we would know later as if they had some greater purpose he didn't want to reveal quite yet.

This just makes me even more excited till 2.0 comes out. This better live up to my expectations because I will be seriously bummed if it falls short.

creid

I have a problem where occasionally, characters won't load on screen no matter how long I wait for them to. Any solutions?
Happened to us last night, several of us couldn't see a specific party member. Logging out and in fixed it, and someone said that entering a battlefield also usually fixes it for them.

desu

Happened to us last night, several of us couldn't see a specific party member. Logging out and in fixed it, and someone said that entering a battlefield also usually fixes it for them.

That person also might want to unequip/equip some gear again, that can fix it too.

creid

Not sure how available I'm going to be tonight, but if I am online (~7pm EST,) who's ready for To Kill A Raven?

There isn't a good equivalent to FFXIAH for 14, is there? I'd like to know how much to sell my materia for without doing all the digging, and it doesn't look like FFXIVAH.com has much info.

Zomba13

Not sure how available I'm going to be tonight, but if I am online (~7pm EST,) who's ready for To Kill A Raven?

There isn't a good equivalent to FFXIAH for 14, is there? I'd like to know how much to sell my materia for without doing all the digging, and it doesn't look like FFXIVAH.com has much info.

I looooved FFXIAH. Used to check it at school in IT lessons or at lunch to see if my stuff had sold XD

Jinko

Nope, this is one thing that needs to be addressed in 2.0, hopefully someone will make a decent addon similar to Auctioneer for WoW.

Of course that requires SE allowing us to pull data off the AH interface first.

Allard

Nope, this is one thing that needs to be addressed in 2.0, hopefully someone will make a decent addon similar to Auctioneer for WoW.

There used to be one on yellow gremlin but they stopped updating their item database and consequently we lost the sale data for all the new items introduced, and when they did the merger of the servers that really screwed up their system. Now the site doesn't exist anymore. For the longest time till they put in the search feature that was like the only way to find out what a retainer was selling and for how much.

Just re-subbed last night. I remember reading in this thread a while ago that one of the starting mage classes was a very useful class to start on. Can't recall if that was THM or CON? I seem to recall Allard mentioning one of them being a good starter. Thanks.

Allard

Just re-subbed last night. I remember reading in this thread a while ago that one of the starting mage classes was a very useful class to start on. Can't recall if that was THM or CON? I seem to recall Allard mentioning one of them being a good starter. Thanks.

Thaumaturge has great burst damage dealing that can decimate foes especially once it gains access to thundara at lvl 18 (I think you get it at this level) and auto-refresh at lvl 20. Keep your gear moderately up to date (especially the weapon) and you can two shot a foe in seconds after that level and then like 15 seconds later you can do that same combo again on another mob. Always keep your weapon in passive mode so you get more mp refresh between battles and make sure you do leves for a good deal of your leveling so you can make use of the automatic mp recovery that comes with finishing a leve. MP management kind of sucks early on but THM is still a pretty potent damage dealer early on especially if you take the range damage approach of trying to kill mobs before they get to you and mix in parsimony on thundara/higher mp-damage spells.

Level Pugilist, Conjuror and Archer to round out THM's sub ability arsenal. CON for Stoneskin, Raise and Cure (and protect) and later the lvl 34 ability which allows you make certain spells into AOE, and Pugilist for second wind and the mp evasion ability (These two are important early on so make sure you get them, Second wind is a heal ability on a timer that costs nothing to use that you get at lvl 6 on Pugilist), later on when you gain access to BLM you get access to only PUG and ARC abilities to sub and some of them are pretty good for helping with enmity like the lvl 42 ARC ability (don't worry about this till lvl 50).

Thank you for the info Allard! Guess I will be going THM and concentrating on that. I never know where to start in these games, but at least now I have some kind of focus. Thanks!

Also, does the starting city matter that much overall? I noticed the THM guild is in Ul'dah. Problem is, I am tired of the dusty setting of that place. Can I safely chose Gridania and just travel to the THM guild from there when I need to?

BLCKATK

Also, does the starting city matter that much overall? I noticed the THM guild is in Ul'dah. Problem is, I am tired of the dusty setting of that place. Can I safely chose Gridania and just travel to the THM guild from there when I need to?

Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems. Starting city just dictates what the first 5 quests in the main storyline are about.

Loona

Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems. Starting city just dictates what the first 5 quests in the main storyline are about.

You can set your home point there after you set your inn as a secondary home point in Gridania, it'll make the trips between those cities cheap and quick.

ZetaEpyon

Anyone up for doing Cutter's Cry for AF tonight or this weekend?
Up to 48 WAR now, and I need to get that last piece out of the way so that I can do the Steel Cyclone quest...

I'm also up to Shadow of the Raven in Grand Company stuff, if anyone wants to work on that, too.

Allard

Facebook page for FFXIV updated with more gamescon photos including higher res shots of some of the stuff Yoshida put in his last producer letter. In the higher res shot you can now clearly see everything on the UI in English for Lancer/Dragoon. Looks like they are indeed completely overhauling abilities again as the level you gain certain abilities are changing, they added a 'shot' command at lvl 15 for Lancer (Probably the range move we saw in the demonstration, I wonder if its just a remodeled javelin throw). All tp related moves now have 80-200 tp use on them.

Jinko

284880_10151173612685871_1445348238_n.jpg

Bleh they are keeping their stupid inflated stat values.

Can see the gear set drop down box at the bottom :D

They could do with adding an actual character model to the equipment window (maybe they plan to ??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom