• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't quite get the utility of that...

You can create separate "bags" and sort your inventory into them accordingly. According to interviews, you will also be able to color code them so you know what is in each bag at a glance. It can be a very useful feature if the implementation is good.

Allard

Other gear won't require inventory space, gear sets are independent from the backpacks.

On this note I wonder how many gear sets we will end up getting at launch. I somewhat doubt we will get a set for every class as part of the reason even most modern MMO's don't have a mannequin like system is because inventory can be a pretty huge footprint on server limitation and bandwidth size. I suppose they can code into the system each gear set as a single entity that gets unpacked or something. We know gearsets will expand as we do content/quests. Personally I hope we have minimum 8 sets and then the rest of the gear we have to choose to store in our main inventory or storage with the retainer/housing estate.

On top of gear sets... I see another possible issue, say we have an item that is used on more then 1 class, if the mannequin system acts as a separate inventory mechanism for each mannequin, then technically you would need 2 of that item or be forced to take the item off a mannequin set so you can equip it on a different set.

Ravidrath

Wasn't inventory space a big sink in WoW?

Perhaps that's how gearsets will be unlocked - get a new class, get the option to buy a gearset for it.

After hooking my PC up to my 5.1 (using Multich audio) receiver yesterday I discovered that FF XIV's sound is pretty damn amazing. I started over in Gridania and the forest sounds practically envelope me. And the rain storm thunder and lightning feels like it's right in the room with me.Wow! That, and I am having more fun on my TV than on my small monitor. I had restarted several times in Ul'dah and had gotten pretty bored every time. The lush greenery of Gridania is pretty gorgeous and relaxing on the nerves. It's an aesthetic preference, but I feel more inclined to play because of it.

I also noticed today that I have Legacy status. I had no idea I even qualified.

Darte

On this note I wonder how many gear sets we will end up getting at launch.

I can't remember where I read this, but they've said at least 1 per job/class. Though they also said that you'd have to unlock them first so you wouldn't have access to them straight away.

Riposte

What I don't understand is individually color coding each slot (as opposed to multiple bags) and showing each slot with a very small dot. Maybe it makes using items easier, but I'm not sure how.

Allard

What I don't understand is individually color coding each slot (as opposed to multiple bags) and showing each slot with a very small dot. Maybe it makes using items easier, but I'm not sure how.

Think they plan to make it where you can color code items and types of items. I know I have run into the issue in the past where I forgot exactly what bag I put specific items in while playing even WoW and its also a handy way of giving you an at a glance look at how full your bags are. (for instance one color could denote equip, another be a fully stacked item of 99 (telling you no more will fit in it) etc. Plus on the equipment menu the dots are supposed to represent durability so you have a UI visible update on the status of your equip.

dwix

Do I have to do leve quests until I hit level 10, because right now I don't know where to get main story quests from.

Be sure to check your Journal. If there's a quest, there should be a map option that will show you where you need to go...

Also, if that doesn't work, check here for who to go to for initial story quests (assuming you are just starting the game):

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/start02.html

- Baderon, in Limsa Lominsa
- Miounne, in Gridania
- Momodi, in Ul’dah

Talking to one of them should get things started.

Jinko

No I mean the other gear other than the one you are wearing, like your whm, drg, war gear.

Yea thats what I mean, those gears will have their own gear sets, Yoshi said in an interview they plan to have as many gear sets as there are jobs/classes.

The only gear you will have in your inventory in theory is the stuff you either craft or want to sell.

On top of gear sets... I see another possible issue, say we have an item that is used on more then 1 class, if the mannequin system acts as a separate inventory mechanism for each mannequin, then technically you would need 2 of that item or be forced to take the item off a mannequin set so you can equip it on a different set.

Yea I also though about this, hmm, makes you wonder if you could have 2 of the same u/u items equipped on different sets.
Wasn't inventory space a big sink in WoW?

Perhaps that's how gearsets will be unlocked - get a new class, get the option to buy a gearset for it.

That would be a good idea, the more sets you have the higher the next one could be to purchase.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Are the later 'main scenario' or GC quests a bit less... stand around, watch plot happen to NPCs while your character looks on gormlessly? I've only done the first few but it's getting a bit old.

I just started playing last night on Sargatanas and was wondering if I could get an invite into the linkshell. Character name is Davu Bray.

Kronotech

I don't understand how it's possible to sell anything in the Marketwards. My inventory is full and so is my retainers. It's like a game of chance... if you can't get your retainer in Uldah, no one will buy your junk. Uldah is always full. Gah... Any tips?

Teknoman

After hooking my PC up to my 5.1 (using Multich audio) receiver yesterday I discovered that FF XIV's sound is pretty damn amazing. I started over in Gridania and the forest sounds practically envelope me. And the rain storm thunder and lightning feels like it's right in the room with me.Wow! That, and I am having more fun on my TV than on my small monitor. I had restarted several times in Ul'dah and had gotten pretty bored every time. The lush greenery of Gridania is pretty gorgeous and relaxing on the nerves. It's an aesthetic preference, but I feel more inclined to play because of it.

I also noticed today that I have Legacy status. I had no idea I even qualified.

Yeah the surround sound is great, especially when passing near waterfalls. The fireworks displays were equally nice...but the airships will push your subwoofer to the limit lol.

Are there any programs like Altana Viewer for FFXIV?

Yup:

http://www.ffxivmodelviewer.com/

I don't understand how it's possible to sell anything in the Marketwards. My inventory is full and so is my retainers. It's like a game of chance... if you can't get your retainer in Uldah, no one will buy your junk. Uldah is always full. Gah... Any tips?

People can search other cities from one city, and even buy items from anywhere in Eorzea. After the market updates, just place your retainer anywhere, and your sells will be worldwide.

Kronotech

People can search other cities from one city, and even buy items from anywhere in Eorzea. After the market updates, just place your retainer anywhere, and your sells will be worldwide.

But don't most people stick with Uldah? I've checked Gridania and LL for equipment and don't see the same amount of inventory on sale.

I know 2.0 will be fixing these issues and it's a hell of a lot better than it was at launch... but still a bit rough.

Still loving it.

Munba

I think they mentioned retainers and markets will have major changes in 2.0..but don't remember which interview or rep post was.

As long as we get a proper AH where I can just go to and put my stuff up and check/compare prices without having to go to my retainer, give my retainer the items, close window, choose the sell option and then put it up for sale I'm happy.

Not jump ship but maybe play GW2 until 2.0 comes.

I am trying it out for the pre release, and it is absurd how huge the game is. It is hard to understand the scale of the game and the fact that so many people talk in the game. I created five different races, with different jobs and the voice work is excellent for each one.

I am hoping 2.0 will either match or beat GW2 in terms of how alive and unique each area seem to be.

As far as putting FFXIV on hold..... I find that hard to do because I still have some things to complete and also I am paying for XIV. I don't want to waste my money.

Nakazato

I think after i get mrd to 30 and miner to 45 ill likely play lots of back logged games.

Fake edit: and get lt 12k to go :-/

Made 12k in 5 +hours.

I have been playing this for the last couple of days and think I am actually enjoying myself for once. I restarted as a THM in Gridania after losing interest and restarting at least half a dozen times before. Didn't like the dustiness of Uldah, and hated all the spiral towers in Limsa. Gridania makes me feel at ease because of all the nature.

So far THM is really fun. It seems like elemental properties make a big difference in choosing my targets. Only LV 13, but am digging it more than my time with CON. I am also happy there is lots of stuff to do. I am running into quests around town and am leveling at a fairly fast pace.

So, when do I try heading for the beginners dungeon? Wherever that is.

I want to join a LS, but feel bad I flaked on the game when I joined a while ago. But this time I am really enjoying the game. It's giving me some real FF XI vibes, which is not what I was feeling from the game before.

King_Moc

Banned
The beginner dungeon is called Shpo'shae and is a little south east of Limsa Lominsa. It should be on the map. It think it's for around level 15 or thereabouts.

ZetaEpyon

Well, that's one more 1.x goal done.
war_af.jpg

Now to finish up the Grand Company stuff, if possible...

Salaadin

Well, that's one more 1.x goal done.

Now to finish up the Grand Company stuff, if possible...

Im jealous!

I just got the head piece. Still a ways off from the full thing but im getting there.
I got 3 pt invites today but they all wanted me to have Steel Cyclone. Im moving that up my list.

So approximately when is 2.0 supposed to hit? I am starting to get into the game right now, and want to be able to see all the story I can before there are big changes.

Muddimar

Im jealous!

I just got the head piece. Still a ways off from the full thing but im getting there.
I got 3 pt invites today but they all wanted me to have Steel Cyclone. Im moving that up my list.

Steel Cyclone is the tits man. Soon as that ability fires off, I know I can start healing without grabbing aggro. I think it's a pretty good indicator for DD to start their role also.

Salaadin

Question for the WARs on here. Gear wise, Im still rocking some late 30s stuff. Its lagging behind and I want to fix that. Is AF a good way to go until I can start getting some of the GC stuff?

Steel Cyclone is the tits man. Soon as that ability fires off, I know I can start healing without grabbing aggro. I think it's a pretty good indicator for DD to start their role also.

Sounds like it. Its really become a major priority for me even though it shouldnt be. The quest isnt going anywhere in 2.0 so theres no reason for me to rush it now but I cant help it!
I have to get better gear too.

Top of the list is still the storylines. Im at "Futures Perfect" in the main line and "Deus Ex Machina" in the GC line. Going to try and clear both tonight but that all depends on difficulty, etc. I think we can pull off Futures Perfect but I dont know too much about Deus Ex Machina yet. We'll see.
My linkshell is planning a "To Kill a Raven" run for next Sunday so Im going to be gunning for that. Not sure if I can get there in time thanks to real life stuff but itd be so awesome if I did.

King_Moc

Banned
Top of the list is still the storylines. Im at "Futures Perfect" in the main line and "Deus Ex Machina" in the GC line. Going to try and clear both tonight but that all depends on difficulty, etc. I think we can pull off Futures Perfect but I dont know too much about Deus Ex Machina yet. We'll see.

Are you on Sargatanas? I need to do Deus Ex Machina, but i'm having no luck finding a party for it.

Salaadin

Are you on Sargatanas? I need to do Deus Ex Machina, but i'm having no luck finding a party for it.

Yes, Im on Sargatanas.

Probably going to try and do it tonight around 8:00pm EST. Im WAR and my sister is WHM so we were going to try duoing it but if youre going to be on around then, youre more than welcome to tag along. I dont know how difficult this thing is so I have no idea if we will succeed but we are going anyways :p.

Whats your name in game?

King_Moc

Banned
I tried it solo, and you definately can't solo it. Three might be ok though. I'm Electromagnetic Postman. I'm on GMT, but i'll make sure i'm on around then.

Loona

Yes, Im on Sargatanas.

Probably going to try and do it tonight around 8:00pm EST. Im WAR and my sister is WHM so we were going to try duoing it but if youre going to be on around then, youre more than welcome to tag along. I dont know how difficult this thing is so I have no idea if we will succeed but we are going anyways :p.

Whats your name in game?

I need Deus ex Machina and Future Perfect too - I'm in Sargatanas too as Loona Mash, and I'll make sure to be on tonight to get this done.

Allard

I tried it solo, and you definately can't solo it. Three might be ok though. I'm Electromagnetic Postman. I'm on GMT, but i'll make sure i'm on around then.

3 is max for Deus Ex :p.

As for Futures perfect, you can solo it, in fact you can only bring one other player to join you in the 'fight'. (hint it can be soloed on a Disciple of the Land or Even Hand with the right preparation of the nature of the fight).

King_Moc

Banned
3 is max for Deus Ex :p.

As for Futures perfect, you can solo it, in fact you can only bring one other player to join you in the 'fight'. (hint it can be soloed on a Disciple of the Land or Even Hand with the right preparation of the nature of the fight).

I think it's 4 for Deus Ex. It says 3 party mambers can accompany you.

And yeah, Futures Perfect is pretty easy to solo.

Allard

I think it's 4 for Deus Ex. It says 3 party mambers can accompany you.

And yeah, Futures Perfect is pretty easy to solo.

Thought it said 'a' party of 3, could be 4, never tried to do it with 4.

Waiting for confirmation but there is small tease of an interview from connect!On in the October issue with Yoshida. Reinheart on the official forums was kind enough to translate it but wanted people to remember that since it is from 2ch there was a chance for it to be false.

In the little blurb he translated it said that Titan was originally supposed to follow after Ifrit, and before (or in place of) the Nael Darnus fight we were going to fight Leviathan, but due to the massive earthquake and Tsunami they had last year, the development group decided to postpone those fights to 2.0.

creid

Between Friday night and Saturday afternoon I think I spent about 12 hours gathering parties for and dying in To Kill A Raven. I'm learning more every time, but man the pressure is really on us BLMs at the end of phase 2. Felt my first-ever pang of "gear snobbery" when I noticed one our BLMs was using lv 1-20 gear. Checked out the gear of somebody in NeoBELIEVE and it helped me boost my INT a bit. Might spend some time tonight trying to find a way to get my magic accuracy up.

Thanks Ravidrath for the advice on Dated Tarred Voyager's Belts. I've gotten some materia out of it worth a few hundred thousand... though it doesn't seem to be selling quite yet. I've read conflicting information about whether or not the item search counter searches through all three cities, so I'm not sure if having my retainer in Gridania is working against me. No room in Ul'dah though, so I guess I don't have much choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom