• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

I tried it solo, and you definately can't solo it. Three might be ok though. I'm Electromagnetic Postman. I'm on GMT, but i'll make sure i'm on around then.

I need Deus ex Machina and Future Perfect too - I'm in Sargatanas too as Loona Mash, and I'll make sure to be on tonight to get this done.

Awesome.
Im Salaadin Voivode in game. Ill look out for both of you.

If Im reading it right, you just have to keep yourself alive and run out of range of the beam when needed in Futures Perfect? Eventually, the beam does enough damage and the quest continues? Thats all there is to it? It sounds simple enough.

Deus Ex Machina doesnt sound bad either but theres not a whole lot of info out there on it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Felt my first-ever pang of "gear snobbery" when I noticed one our BLMs was using lv 1-20 gear.

I found this funny for some reason. I used to do it all the time in FFXI....check all the other PUPs and see who had the better gear.
In FFXIV, Im on the badly geared end. I dont check anyone at all so I dont feel embarrassed :p

ZetaEpyon

If Im reading it right, you just have to keep yourself alive and run out of range of the beam when needed in Futures Perfect? Eventually, the beam does enough damage and the quest continues? Thats all there is to it? It sounds simple enough.

Yeah, pretty much. It was extremely easy for me to solo as 49 MRD. I don't think I even actually engaged the enemies myself.

Allard

Awesome.
Im Salaadin Voivode in game. Ill look out for both of you.

Deus Ex Machina doesnt sound bad either but theres not a whole lot of info out there on it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I found this funny for some reason. I used to do it all the time in FFXI....check all the other PUPs and see who had the better gear.
In FFXIV, Im on the badly geared end. I dont check anyone at all so I dont feel embarrassed :p

Futures perfect has two strategies, a non combat strategy and a combat strategy. Non combat you need to 'survive' blows by the mobs and attempt to have the airship fire its beam on to combatants attacking you without getting hit yourself. You get hit by the airship beam its a quick 9999 damage and game over. The combat version just has you fighting off the enemies while making sure you don't get caught by the airship beam. Its ridiculously easy for combat classes since the battle was not rebalanced after the attribute overhaul. I soloed it on my Archer, killed the mobs before the airship could fire anything.

Deus Ex is a battle against the Garlean autonomous machina. Make sure you got a healer and a tank, the rest you fill out to make the fight quicker because as the fight goes on I found the mob does enough damage where its not unexpected for a healer to get hate and when that happens all hell breaks loose trying to get hate off him/her. Just stay calm, keep people healed up, do as much damage as you can while making sure tank has hate and the fight goes smoothly, fail to control hate and the fight can get out of hand in a hurry, the machina does an absurd amount of damage for a low man fight and its even worse on classes/jobs that are not built to sustain damage (like my Archer or DRG).

As for gear checks in this game, I find it to be a waste of time, especially now a days while waiting for 2.0 :p I'd rather get what I can, prepare my levels/gil for 2.0 and spend my time getting properly geared up then. Been leveling up crafting and gathering classes mostly because of that although I am working on WHM as I wanted at least one 'must have' class when 2.0 comes out for support. I got Bard but I found my shell needing WHM's more often then Bard for fights.

creid

I don't want to sound like I'm well-geared at all, and I'm far from an expert at the game, but when going up against Darnus you're really doing everyone a disservice by being 20-30 levels behind on gear.

ZetaEpyon

I don't want to sound like I'm well-geared at all, and I'm far from an expert at the game, but when going up against Darnus you're really doing everyone a disservice by being 20-30 levels behind on gear.

I imagine that there's a significant difference between being 20-30 levels behind on gear and just not having the optimal level 50 gear...

Personally, I've just tried to keep my stuff pretty close, without sweating too much about maxing particular stats and things like that to this point.

Salaadin

Futures perfect has two strategies, a non combat strategy and a combat strategy. Non combat you need to 'survive' blows by the mobs and attempt to have the airship fire its beam on to combatants attacking you without getting hit yourself. You get hit by the airship beam its a quick 9999 damage and game over. The combat version just has you fighting off the enemies while making sure you don't get caught by the airship beam. Its ridiculously easy for combat classes since the battle was not rebalanced after the attribute overhaul. I soloed it on my Archer, killed the mobs before the airship could fire anything.

Deus Ex is a battle against the Garlean autonomous machina. Make sure you got a healer and a tank, the rest you fill out to make the fight quicker because as the fight goes on I found the mob does enough damage where its not unexpected for a healer to get hate and when that happens all hell breaks loose trying to get hate off him/her. Just stay calm, keep people healed up, do as much damage as you can while making sure tank has hate and the fight goes smoothly, fail to control hate and the fight can get out of hand in a hurry, the machina does an absurd amount of damage for a low man fight and its even worse on classes/jobs that are not built to sustain damage (like my Archer or DRG).

Thanks. Ill keep these in mind for tonight.

As for gear checks in this game, I find it to be a waste of time, especially now a days while waiting for 2.0 :p I'd rather get what I can, prepare my levels/gil for 2.0 and spend my time getting properly geared up then. Been leveling up crafting and gathering classes mostly because of that although I am working on WHM as I wanted at least one 'must have' class when 2.0 comes out for support. I got Bard but I found my shell needing WHM's more often then Bard for fights.

Right now, gear hunting is such a drag. The only way Ive found it to be bearable is when I open up wiki, an excel spreadsheet, and FFXIV. Alt tab back and forth, listing items, getting prices, etc until I get what I need. Its not fun at all. Im more likely to shut the game off than I am to sit there for 30 mins and try to gear myself up.

Im not even factoring in the selling of old gear, item repair, and all that. Cant wait to see what they change about this.

I agree completely.

Allard

I imagine that there's a significant difference between being 20-30 levels behind on gear and just not having the optimal level 50 gear...

Personally, I've just tried to keep my stuff pretty close, without sweating too much about maxing particular stats and things like that to this point.

In general I do this, make sure I have appropriate stat rings, a couple pieces of company related gear for my class, appropriate weapon/tool and all my gear that isn't AF related all has at least a single meld in gear. But due to my crafting and gathering class needs I have a huge inventory space issue so I just don't sweat the details on getting perfect gear for my combat classes, I'd much rather have the option to use a class at any time with lots of interchangeable gear then be well geared for my job but be required to store the gear when its not in use.

Edit: Reinheart is translating more of the blogged Connect!On stuff, I should reinforce that this stuff hasn't been completely confirmed but nothing sounds too out of the ordinary that would require too much pause for concern. Plus the last time we had a 'leak' like this it turned out true but even saying that a lot of stuff can be lost in the 'observational' translation since reinheart is translating a summary of someone else looking at a magazine.

For phone app - character, item info, retainer, friend, free company, delivery moogle send/receive feature - planned for release at time of 2.0 launch.

Basic app is free with update depending on feature will require payment.

This one below was actually translated from a cropped pic rather then text on a blog so it might help the validity of the info.
The reason behind why battle will start with TP 1000 - Didn't like how you couldn't use WS at start of battle and it will become troublesome in PvP
The TP regen after battle is fast but balanced to where if you spam 6-7 WS it will stop
Combo will be changed so the first will only require positioning
Battle will change a lot. Specially for MNK want to say sorry
For targeting feature at the stage demo they were clicking but YoshiP normally uses Tab Key or using feature to target nearest enemy. Game pad will have upgraded target circle and you can choose your favorite circle and rotate with that.
Keyboard and Gamepad will have completly different action bar structer/positiong. For Keyboard it's concentrated on mouse control but with gamepad it will only open the UI that's related to current selection and all other windows will close. Will be simple. Main menu display will be 8 (??? I don't get this last part)

With current version at first wanted to put in token system in contents.
For example when you clear 2-3 tokens will fall under party members and they can distribute them.
For those that couldn't get anything they can get the tokens and by participating they can get the item similar to the actual drop item but with little bit lower stats.

Sounds like DRG and Monk can be a bit at ease, no more two part positional comboing to get to the final combo move.

Riposte

I feel like most of the my problems would go away if:

-I could access the item counter from my retainer to buy and sell. (Why am I talking to a door?)
-I can check price history of any item in my or retainer's inventory.
-I can instant NPC-sell any item in my or retainer's inventory.
-Two checkmark options on price history: "Show only HQ" "Show only melded"

That is without adding any added utility like, say, setting your retainer to instant buy something within a certain price (using money on the retainer) or checking the item counter at camps and buying/selling using only the retainer's inventory. Though it probably won't be necessary in 2.0, it would be nice to highlight several items in your inventory to transfer or NPC-sell all at once. Given they made a game so tightly tied to the server which limit menu interaction, how could they not have thought of this?

EDIT: Wow, I don't like the combo change at all. That game requiring positional precise is one of the main aspects that makes it not brain-dead. I'm going to guess a lot of people complained?

Allard

EDIT: Wow, I don't like the combo change at all. That game requiring positional precise is one of the main aspects that makes it not brain-dead. I'm going to guess a lot of people complained?

A lot of people did complain, specifically it made certain classes severely hampered/inefficient on certain battles that had positioning obstacles like Ifrit and benefit the classes that got the most potential when standing still like Archer, BLM and WAR, not to mention the issue in regards to position updating lag. Yoshida also brought up another central point, it would be hard for a class to be effective if they had to worry about two separate positioning steps in PvP, its one thing to have it happen on the first step, lots of MMOs with PvP have that, but a second step is a much harder pill to swallow when someone can easily just constantly move around and keep them from using their better moves efficiently, especially when using stun based moves often times disrupt your combo.

Plus classes like Archer already only had positioning requirements for step 1 so its more like they are evening the playing field. It doesn't mean he is getting rid of positioning elements, it just won't be required to get to the 3rd step on a combo anymore like it was for DRG and MNK. They could still require positioning elements to get the 'bonus' for the weaponskill/magic.

Riposte

It is interesting that they seem to be designing with PvP in mind in many aspects. Don't know how that will turn out. Ultimately, 2.0 won't hold my interest for long if I begin to feel they are taking steps backwards in the combat system. It is impossible to draw the big picture right now, but every once in awhile I hear piece of news that just makes me go "What?"

Allard

I'm playing both. Add PSO2 into the mix whenever that hits NA.

I'm playing GW2 a lot right now with the intention of getting burned out of it in time for 2.0 beta. I got too many friends in FFXIV (and from FFXI) to not stick with it, I had a hard time sticking with WoW and a whole host of other MMO's because I didn't have the social circle I had with FFXI. I'm expecting the same thing to happen in GW2 eventually.

Jinko

It is interesting that they seem to be designing with PvP in mind in many aspects. Don't know how that will turn out. Ultimately, 2.0 won't hold my interest for long if I begin to feel they are taking steps backwards in the combat system. It is impossible to draw the big picture right now, but every once in awhile I hear piece of news that just makes me go "What?"

From what I have seen the changes made so far are all fairly positive.

I think the majority of players want ease of use and not to be hampered by animation lock and silly things like that.

I know I hated having to walk in front of a boss to get my last combo off, its a big reason why I don't like melee classes in this game.

Don't think I will pick up GW2, don't have the time for it and don't want to be dragged back into an MMO, not even sure I will come back for 2.0 tbh.

Loona

Only last night did I find out you buy GC promotions from the NPC that gives you GC quests - it's really not very intuitive that the menu choice for that in this dialogue window corresponds to flavour text that's completely inconsequent in any other NPC... I could have already bought a level-appropriate weapon if I'd have known that sooner...

Salaadin

Obly last night did I find out you buy GC promotions from the NPC that gives you GC quests - it's really not very intuitive that the menu choice for that in this dialogue window corresponds to flavour text that's completely inconsequent in any other NPC... I could have already bought a level-appropriate if I'd have known that sooner...

Im going to have to make it a point to spend my seals so I dont run into the same issue you did.

Is anyone considering jumping ship for Guild Wars 2?

Not "jumping ship" but will definitely be playing. I'm currently juggling FFXIV, Secret World, TERA, and GW2. I'm not really playing much of TERA, FFXIV, or the Secret World lately though. Something is going to break when FFXIV: ARR comes out but I am having an absolute blast with GW2 right now.

I'm playing GW2 a lot right now with the intention of getting burned out of it in time for 2.0 beta. I got too many friends in FFXIV (and from FFXI) to not stick with it, I had a hard time sticking with WoW and a whole host of other MMO's because I didn't have the social circle I had with FFXI. I'm expecting the same thing to happen in GW2 eventually.

Are you in the GAF guild on Stormbluff Isle? There are hundreds of us playing there and the community has been great so far. I'm a Thief main right now but rolled about 4 other classes to try them out and had fun with each one. WvWvW is endless fun and I haven't even stepped into SPVP yet. I will probably be playing this for a long time.

creid

I looked up a piece of equipment that I think I want, and it says it's level 52. Don't the levels only go up to 50? How does someone make something of a higher level?

No offense to my other parties, but we had a damn good party against Darnus last night. We were getting him to the end of phase 2 in 15 minutes instead of 25. Still couldn't win though ;.; Felt bad at first for wanting to require that our other BLM know what he was doing against the meteors, but for 2 of our 3 losses the other BLM was not hitting meteors at all near the end. Not that it mattered, because I couldn't seem to do enough damage to solo any of the last batch of meteors anyway...

Ala Alba

I looked up a piece of equipment that I think I want, and it says it's level 52. Don't the levels only go up to 50? How does someone make something of a higher level?

Generally, you can make recipes that are up to 10 levels higher than you.

No offense to my other parties, but we had a damn good party against Darnus last night. We were getting him to the end of phase 2 in 15 minutes instead of 25. Still couldn't win though ;.; Felt bad at first for wanting to require that our other BLM know what he was doing against the meteors, but for 2 of our 3 losses the other BLM was not hitting meteors at all near the end. Not that it mattered, because I couldn't seem to do enough damage to solo any of the last batch of meteors anyway...

You do have 1 BLM, 1 WHM(w/Cleric Stance), and 1 BRD on each platform taking down the meteors, right?

creid

You do have 1 BLM, 1 WHM(w/Cleric Stance), and 1 BRD on each platform taking down the meteors, right?
On the recommendation of one of the party members, we were 2x BLM, 2x WHM, BRD, WAR, MNK, DRG. Is 2x BRD pretty much a requirement to make sure none of the meteors make it? I'm not entirely sure the WHMs were hitting the meteors either.

Ala Alba

On the recommendation of one of the party members, we were 2x BLM, 2x WHM, BRD, WAR, MNK, DRG. Is 2x BRD pretty much a requirement to make sure none of the meteors make it? I'm not entirely sure the WHMs were hitting the meteors either.

I don't know. It certainly helps, though.

creid

I've got a dumb question about Darnus & meteors:

If, at the end of phase 2 (when he's calling down the meteors,) he doesn't do any attacking, is it safe for mages to go to the top level too? Is there a good reason why the BLMs don't run to the top level, get off 2 spells as soon as the meteor appears, and then run down to the middle level to hit it again when cooldown is over? Do the meteors fall too quickly to be able to run back up and down for each one? Or do the BLMs need the MP regen benefits of standing still too badly to be able to move?

Ala Alba

I've got a dumb question about Darnus & meteors:

If, at the end of phase 2 (when he's calling down the meteors,) he doesn't do any attacking, is it safe for mages to go to the top level too? Is there a good reason why the BLMs don't run to the top level, get off 2 spells as soon as the meteor appears, and then run down to the middle level to hit it again when cooldown is over? Do the meteors fall too quickly to be able to run back up and down for each one? Or do the BLMs need the MP regen benefits of standing still too badly to be able to move?

I don't know what middle level you're talking about. There are two sets of stairs that end at two platforms. You are supposed to go to these two platforms to destroy the meteors.

Is the 'middle' level where Darnus goes to prep for Megaflare? If so, only the melee DD should be there (to counter his regen and do enough damage to end this part of the fight). The tank should be tanking the golems, and everyone else (ranged people) should be one the platforms attacking the meteors.

creid

I don't know what middle level you're talking about. There are two sets of stairs that end at two platforms. You are supposed to go to these two platforms to destroy the meteors.

Is the 'middle' level where Darnus goes to prep for Megaflare? If so, only the melee DD should be there (to counter his regen and do enough damage to end this part of the fight). The tank should be tanking the golems, and everyone else (ranged people) should be one the platforms attacking the meteors.
Sorry, I meant that the platform where Darnus goes to prep for Megaflare was the "top" level (as it is highest) and the two platforms where people typically go to kill meteors are the "middle" level, with the ground floor being the "low" level. The reason I ask is that I heard from my other BLM that from the "top" platform, you can start casting on the meteor almost right after it spawns.

Mature

Hey guys!

I would like to add some more information to my previous animation post!

In A Realm Reborn, conjuring magic, thaumaturge magic, white magic, black magic, songs, and other categories will all have different casting animations. Also, depending on the type of element, the effect colors will be different as well making it easier to distinguish what type of magic is being cast.
Rad.

Now if they don't incentive DoM having their weapons out, I'll cry.

I totally forgot there were voiced cutscenes in the game. Just saw the one one in Gridania before you fight a forest spirit. So, are there any more of these because I prefer these over the normal text cinemas?

ZetaEpyon

I totally forgot there were voiced cutscenes in the game. Just saw the one one in Gridania before you fight a forest spirit. So, are there any more of these because I prefer these over the normal text cinemas?

There are a handful right now, but not many. I think that most (all?) of the main scenario stuff in 2.0 is supposed to be voiced.

Salaadin

Any MRD or WAR want to help me out? I need weapon advice.
Ive been stuck with a Steel Bhuj since level 34 and havent been able to find a decent replacement in the wards. I didnt mind too much because I was soloing a lot but now Im invovled in a lot of party play so I need to keep up gear-wise.

Is the Demilune Bhuj basically the best, craftable, non-GC weapon that I can get? Is there anything else that I can use that wiki doesnt list?
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Warrior_Main_Hand

I dont really have the seals or the ranks to grab any GC weapons yet and the bulk of my playtime right now is spent on catching up on missions so I dont really have a lot of options.

As one of the more vocal detractors during the beta, I finally ended up buying the game because I'm stupid. I mainly wanted to get in on v2 when it launches cheap before the copies were destroyed, but I'd like to dip in before then too.

Haven't gotten around to installing it yet, though. Is there a brief summary anywhere of what exactly has changed between the launch and now? I've heard the game is greatly improved.

Cmagus

Any MRD or WAR want to help me out? I need weapon advice.
Ive been stuck with a Steel Bhuj since level 34 and havent been able to find a decent replacement in the wards. I didnt mind too much because I was soloing a lot but now Im invovled in a lot of party play so I need to keep up gear-wise.

Is the Demilune Bhuj basically the best, craftable, non-GC weapon that I can get? Is there anything else that I can use that wiki doesnt list?
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Warrior_Main_Hand

I dont really have the seals or the ranks to grab any GC weapons yet and the bulk of my playtime right now is spent on catching up on missions so I dont really have a lot of options.

Depends what you are going for setup wise. Pretty much need to deck out at end game now.

If your looking to tank as War (this providing you don't have Darklight gear)

These are my current setups

Tanking
Weapon: Moogle Axe (preferred) or Ifrit axe
Arms: Cobalt Gauntlets (Strength Materia x3)
Belt: Cobalt plate belt (Touch of Rage materia x 3) Want Enmity+ (try for 60)
Legs: Fighter Breeches
Feet: Sentinel Sabatons (Bloodthirst materia for HP) also has +9 Enmity on them
Head:Fighters Burgeonet (Paragons crown is also good if you have that)

Accessories:
Earring: Stonewall Earrings +10 enmity
Necklace: electrum gorget
Bracelet: Coral Armelliae +1 (if possible) +10 enmity / regular has +8 enmity
Rings: Rubellite Ring and Electrum Ring (good to have some accuracy as WAR can miss often and 2-3 misses can leave you vulnerable for losing hate)

DD
Weapon: Ifrit axe
Belt: Cobalt plate belt (Sanguinary Might Materia) Crit+ HP+
Feet: Cobalt Sabatons (Bloodthirst materia for HP)
Head:Fighters Burgeonet (Paragons crown is also good)

Accessories:
Earring: Explorers Earrings
Bracelet: Rubullite Bracelet
Rings: Rubellite Ring x2 or Electrum Ring

Salaadin

Depends what you are going for setup wise. Pretty much need to deck out at end game now.

If your looking to tank as War (this providing you don't have Darklight gear)

These are my current setups

Tanking
Weapon: Moogle Axe (preferred) or Ifrit axe
Belt: Cobalt plate belt (Touch of Rage materia x 3) Want Enmity+ (try for 60)
Feet: Sentinel Sabatons (Bloodthirst materia for HP) also have +9 Enmity on them

Accessories:
Earring: Stonewall Earrings +10 enmity
Bracelet: Coral Armelliae +1 (if possible) +10 enmity / regular has +8 enmity
Rings: Rubellite Ring and Electrum Ring (good to have some accuracy as WAR can miss often and 2-3 misses can leave you vulnerable for losing hate)

DD
Weapon: Ifrit axe
Belt: Cobalt plate belt (Sanguinary Might Materia) Crit+ HP+
Feet: Sentinel Sabatons (Bloodthirst materia for HP) also have +9 Enmity on them

Accessories:
Earring: Explorers Earrings
Bracelet: Rubullite Bracelet
Rings: Rubellite Ring and Electrum Ring

Thanks for the gear set suggestions. Gives me an idea of what to look out for.
My brother in law offered to craft me some Cobalt stuff when I got there. Im at 49 now so I think I need to start gathering mats.

My only real problem are the axes yet. I plan on shooting for the Mogaxe or Ifrit axe but they arent in the cards right now. Im going to have to settle with something lesser in the meantime.

creid

Oy, another aggravating night with Nael van Darnus.

After a few hours to gather 8 people, we found that our tank was faking his ability to understand English and/or ignoring the chat window, and didn't fully know how to properly tank Darnus. For the first time in a week's worth of tries, I finally had a party with enough mages that knew exactly how to keep any meteors from hitting, but a tank that kept causing us to heal Darnus when he did Lunar Dynamo. I think I can now fully appreciate the value of a good linkshell.

Also was really excited to make a Spinel Choker but it turns out the ingredients are not easily available in the wards :(

Oy, another aggravating night with Nael van Darnus.

After a few hours to gather 8 people, we found that our tank was faking his ability to understand English and/or ignoring the chat window, and didn't fully know how to properly tank Darnus. For the first time in a week's worth of tries, I finally had a party with enough mages that knew exactly how to keep any meteors from hitting, but a tank that kept causing us to heal Darnus when he did Lunar Dynamo. I think I can now fully appreciate the value of a good linkshell.

Also was really excited to make a Spinel Choker but it turns out the ingredients are not easily available in the wards :(

You're not on sargatanas?

creid

You're not on sargatanas?
I am, but there weren't a whole lot of NeoBelievers signed in at the time. Someone did offer to help, but we didn't seem to need it at the time. Not talking shit about our LS, I'm saying without a good LS this game would be pretty hard to enjoy in the long run.

I am, but there weren't a whole lot of NeoBelievers signed in at the time. Someone did offer to help, but we didn't seem to need it at the time. Not talking shit about our LS, I'm saying without a good LS this game would be pretty hard to enjoy in the long run.

I will be on in a few hours. I will be able to join you for the battle then.

Allard

Reinheart translated a summary of the 'new' info from Famitsu this week. A lot of it is rehashed stuff from Connect!On, but there is definitely some new stuff, most notably is that Siren is going to boss rather then a summon :(. (Same with Death Claw). The other stuff talked about is the phone app which sounds fairly robust and the info gleamed might give us a bit of a peak at the new retainer/AH system.

Still under development but at first you have 8 commands to choose from and from there going down (guessing starting menu will be limited for new players and once they get used to the system you gradually get more menu commands.)
Right now trying to see if it's possible to add a target line like the one used in FFXII which connects a line between the player and enemy.
You can set the camera movement to off so it doesn't move back to default position when character moves. (can change in options)
2.0 Screenshot of the forest area is the Black Shroud. There are other areas which is in far worse condition.
The person who took the screenshot of the DRG WS was YoshiP. Effect can be seen by other players.
Siren and Death Claw is planned to come out as a boss type beings in a content.
You can only deliver/send goods from where Delivery Moogle is at, but you can receive from anywhere.
It's possible to check the item receive status with phone app at real time.
Phone app will have one time password feature
Phone app - Send/Receive item through delivery moogle, change settings for retainers items being sold is being planned.
Phone app - can check mail received such as mog letter through app without logging
Phone app - some feature are same as The Lodestone
For feature to sell items directly on bazaar is planned for the app only.
Shipyard area has warships being constructed which is being planned to be supplied to Limsa. From there you can get on a ship to go to the PvP specific Colosseum? (Similar area exists in Gridania, Uldah)
The structure for main cities is pretty much same
Regarding chocobo's jump - Animation team wanted to make chocobo look like it's flying and it was made that way.
Inn will be in many area's for that reason you won't have to run back to city to get the logout bonus. In these type of areas will have delivery moogles and other NPC's with similar supporting services.
Aside from the 9/1 talk show there may be more updated info at TGS

Salaadin

The phone app having one time password is HUGE for me. Now I can log in to the forums and such outside of my house and not have to worry about losing the keychain. Inns outside of the main cities is great too.

Coldsnap

Sorta worried about FFXIV 2.0. I'm watching the guild wars quick look and it just looks like such a standard MMORG, every MMORPG that launched in the past few years are exactly the same. I feel like FFXIV 2.0 is heading into this direction with quest leveling ect., right now i feel like it stands out. It will be just another game where you level a lone and do end content togather...

Riposte

Sorta worried about FFXIV 2.0. I'm watching the guild wars quick look and it just looks like such a standard MMORG, every MMORPG that launched in the past few years are exactly the same. I feel like FFXIV 2.0 is heading into this direction with quest leveling ect., right now i feel like it stands out. It will be just another game where you level a lone and do end content togather...

I see this as an inevitability. Generally speaking, MMORPG developers are too afraid to make something that doesn't pamper the player while he spends an irregular (sometimes unhealthy) amount of time with their game(/theme park). That is what worked in the (recent) past, even though it lacks the pain which enables a game to builds its character so to speak. It is only natural that a MMORPG with twice the cost would aim for the safest path. Blaming only the developers is short-sighted (though it still is their failure). If they don't operate in this manner, they are berated by fans and critics alike. Idea of a MMORPG being like FFXI (but hopefully better and more focused) is not feasible. Nevermind the solo focus and familiar endgame structure, people get mad if your game doesn't have jumping like other MMORPGs.

I'm playing GW2 at the moment and I'm only level 10 but have already done ton of content with other people. At lvl 10 in FFXIV (current version) I was still soling stuff to get to 20 so I can start partying with others. I'm getting a greater sense of companionship in GW2 than I ever did in the FF MMOs so I don't know where this leveling alone comes from. The story quests are done alone but the rest you just go and do them and if there are others there you jump in and do it together just like that. Nothing is stopping you from forming a party and go out and do these quests and dynamic events together though.

If you like to form a party and go grind mobs then GW2 is not for you but you're defenetly not running around in GW2 doing stuff alone.

Now I'm not saying GW2 is the perfect MMO, I don't like that doing quests is the ONLY way to level but having that option for those who don't want to shout for party to go grind mobs is not something I would say no to. I would take the "standard MMO system" over what 1.0 had any day of the week. Not everyone have static groups to do stuff with, not everyone are in the same timezone and I don't think any sane person playing wants to stand in Uldah shouting for pick up groups. They don't have to make the game look and feel like WoW/GW2 and judging from the 2.0 gameplay presentation they're really not, but not taking good ideas from these "standard MMOs" just because they want to be unique is just silly.

people get mad if your game doesn't have jumping like other MMORPGs.

No people get mad because not being able to jump and have to run around stupid little stuff like a fence makes you feel like a rock with legs. Or something like this http://youtu.be/Wu4onoiOzQw

Ravidrath

There are only a handful now, but it sounds like all story cinemas will be voiced in 2.0.

...And I'm totally going to ask Yoshi-P if I can be the voice of Hildibrand in 2.0.

I'm playing GW2 at the moment and I'm only level 10 but have already done ton of content with other people. At lvl 10 in FFXIV (current version) I was still soling stuff to get to 20 so I can start partying with others. I'm getting a greater sense of companionship in GW2 than I ever did in the FF MMOs so I don't know where this leveling alone comes from. The story quests are done alone but the rest you just go and do them and if there are others there you jump in and do it together just like that. Nothing is stopping you from forming a party and go out and do these quests and dynamic events together though.

If you like to form a party and go grind mobs then GW2 is not for you but you're defenetly not running around in GW2 doing stuff alone.

Now I'm not saying GW2 is the perfect MMO, I don't like that doing quests is the ONLY way to level but having that option for those who don't want to shout for party to go grind mobs is not something I would say no to. I would take the "standard MMO system" over what 1.0 had any day of the week. Not everyone have static groups to do stuff with, not everyone are in the same timezone and I don't think any sane person playing wants to stand in Uldah shouting for pick up groups. They don't have to make the game look and feel like WoW/GW2 and judging from the 2.0 gameplay presentation they're really not, but not taking good ideas from these "standard MMOs" just because they want to be unique is just silly.

That really isn't true. In GW2 I have one level 25 character and four that are over level 10. EVERYTHING in the game gives you experience. Exploration, events, story, quests. The really big boosts come from the achievement lists and area completion bonuses. When you complete everything on your daily list you get a bunch of XP and unique items. When you complete exploring an area entirely you can get XP and transmutation stones. While I play one character as a main, I simply got the rest to 10 by exploring the major cities and hub (lionsgate arch). That gave me 8 levels per character alone.

One thing I like about the game is how you are rewarded for basically any action you take. It is more appealing to take the time to clear entire areas and fight unique events when you know the rewards will be large.

EDIT: And I know I am missing something because there are level 50 and level 80 characters already.

That really isn't true. In GW2 I have one level 25 character and four that are over level 10. EVERYTHING in the game gives you experience. Exploration, events, story, quests. The really big boosts come from the achievement lists and area completion bonuses. When you complete everything on your daily list you get a bunch of XP and unique items. When you complete exploring an area entirely you can get XP and transmutation stones. While I play one character as a main, I simply got the rest to 10 by exploring the major cities and hub (lionsgate arch). That gave me 8 levels per character alone.

One thing I like about the game is how you are rewarded for basically any action you take. It is more appealing to take the time to clear entire areas and fight unique events when you know the rewards will be large.

Everything gives exp but to get the big exp to level you have to do the quests and the events, exploration gives good exp too but grinding mobs for 6 exp each is not the optimal way to level. :p And that's what I was pointing out, grinding mobs in GW2 is not the way to level up like you do in other MMO games. But yes you're right in that quests are not the only way, poor wording from me there.

Salaadin

I thought I read that all the wards were tied together now and that I can search Ul Dah from Limsa. Is this true?
Because I cant find anything in the Limsa wards. Theyre bare :(

Everything gives exp but to get the big exp to level you have to do the quests and the events, exploration gives good exp too but grinding mobs for 6 exp each is not the optimal way to level. :p And that's what I was pointing out, grinding mobs in GW2 is not the way to level up like you do in other MMO games.

Yeah the only reason to grind mobs is to unlock weapon skills which just give you alot of flexibility when leveling your character. And Exploration is time consuming but when you complete an area it gives you more XP than any event or battle in the starting area would normally give you. I would say quest and events are more for the 20+ and the first dungeon is at 30.

Allard

I thought I read that all the wards were tied together now and that I can search Ul Dah from Limsa. Is this true?
Because I cant find anything in the Limsa wards. Theyre bare :(

There is a new area called the mercantile wards in each city market area, go to the Ul'Dah Mercantile ward and you can search for Ul'Dah ward items at any city. I'd also like to add there is an easier way to get to the wards in each city, there is a teleportation NPC right outside each city's inn :).

One thing I might also add for the wards, there is an 'option' to send your retainer to specific wards in other cities but the Ul'Dah wards tend to be very full and the only way to setup a retainer currently is visiting a ward and putting your retainer up at one of the 24 hour retainer stands in the wards personally (costs 500 gil as well). In 2.0 it sounds like the wards are going to be consolidated into a single entity so this issue shouldn't be there in 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom