• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the only reason to grind mobs is to unlock weapon skills which just give you alot of flexibility when leveling your character. And Exploration is time consuming but when you complete an area it gives you more XP than any event or battle in the starting area would normally give you. I would say quest and events are more for the 20+ and the first dungeon is at 30.

I hope they look at this for 2.0, rewarding the player for exploring the world is good.

Alex

I mostly like everything about Guild Wars 2, except for the class and ability design. It is in my opinion, pretty much shit, probably the worst I can think of, their systems are just completely unappealing to me in that regard. It's a real shame but the game is still quite good in spite of it and I'm having fun exploring. I kind of wish everything wasn't so icon'd out though, at least until you discovered it.

I got my discounted CE of FFXIV from NewEgg today, this is a ... very large box. I don't really do physical game shit anymore, so it's a little annoying honestly since I'd feel guilty about throwing it out.

By the by, is there any place to download the client? Or do they not do that sort of gig? I don't even have my DVD drive hooked up at the moment, I swapped it's SATA cable for another hard drive. If recall correctly, I heard there was going to be a brand new client for 2.0, so since I don't intend to play prior to that I guess I should wait to download I suppose.

Allard

I mostly like everything about Guild Wars 2, except for the class and ability design. It is in my opinion, pretty much shit, probably the worst I can think of, their systems are just completely unappealing to me in that regard. It's a real shame but the game is still quite good in spite of it and I'm having fun exploring. I kind of wish everything wasn't so icon'd out though, at least until you discovered it.

I got my discounted CE of FFXIV from NewEgg today, this is a ... very large box. I don't really do physical game shit anymore, so it's a little annoying honestly since I'd feel guilty about throwing it out.

By the by, is there any place to download the client? Or do they not do that sort of gig? I don't even have my DVD drive hooked up at the moment, I swapped it's SATA cable for another hard drive. If recall correctly, I heard there was going to be a brand new client for 2.0, so since I don't intend to play prior to that I guess I should wait to download I suppose.

All 'legit' download options for FFXIV have been taken off the internet, it happened around the same time as the retailers got the news to pull and send in all copies of the physical product in to SE, they basically don't want to have people buy the game new anymore due to the 30 day trial not being able to be completed with alpha coming up soon (and thus worrying about the stigma of fleecing people of their 30 day trial they got with purchase). Right now torrents, 3rd party downloads and the game disc are the only way means to install the game right now.

Teknoman

I hope they look at this for 2.0, rewarding the player for exploring the world is good.

Same here. Of course, I hope they also have various npcs or random non-important dungeon areas off the beaten path. The one thing I didnt like about XI is that, although the art and environments were very atmospheric and made you feel like exploring them, there usually wasnt any real reason to...aside from maybe an NM or two.

Loona

Are they bringing Uematsu back for 2.0?

If you liked FFXI's music, you want Naoshi Mizuta instead. Uematsu's great with bombastic stuff like Dancing Mad and Audi Famam Illius, but Mizuta really brings an environment to life.

As for the exploring in FFXI, every place had some quests that made you wander around them, though sadly some you only ever needed to go to 2 or 3 times (Attowha Chasm, Carpenter's Landing and Labyrinth of Onzozo, I'm looking at you), even if they had some unique sights to them.

Riposte

Adding huge exp rewards basically ruins exploration. Then it becomes a checklist of sorts. This is why the Elder Scroll games have terrible exploration.

EDIT: Ah, but I'm not thinking like a MMORPG player. Make them numbers go up.

Mature

Speaking of showing videos, some of you have been wondering why we haven’t officially released the footage of the demo we ran at gamescom. The answer to that is simple: it still looks like an ordinary MMO. Sure, our current players have been bowled over by the differences between the original version and A Realm Reborn. However, for those discerning MMO fans who haven’t played the original version, A Realm Reborn in its current state merely looks like your everyday MMO...just with better graphics.
Bold and honest. This is the only answer that would have sufficed.

Loona

New Producer Letter,
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/53080

The servers will go down on november 11 but the servers will keep data until november 1.

On november 11 there'll be a new Live Letter.

Nice, 2 months to get story done - I was feeling rushed to get that stuff done, this makes it a bit more viable to mess around with other classes, especially crafting, and most importantly, have some downtime to recover the anima I've burned through for transportation over my latest sessions.

The Producer letter makes it sound like the current development phase was aimed at getting FFXIV to a point where all the standard feature sets and expectations of MMOs are currently in place, which they seem to have accomplished based on the Gamescom footage. It sounds like they are looking at ways to differentiate the game and make it more unique now.

Sounds good to me!

Same here. Of course, I hope they also have various npcs or random non-important dungeon areas off the beaten path. The one thing I didnt like about XI is that, although the art and environments were very atmospheric and made you feel like exploring them, there usually wasnt any real reason to...aside from maybe an NM or two.

I recall reading an interview in which Yoshida stated that players would have to explore and discover areas to reveal the map. It will be obscured at the start of the game and there will be achievements tied to uncovering the map. He hasn't stated if any rewards will be directly tied to the achievements though.

A little off topic but what do you not like about the class and ability design? I think it's one of the best parts about the game. Once you start unlocking traits, you have so many options to customize your build and creating combos is really fun. My opinion may be biased since I'm currently playing a thief. I have a lot of interesting utilities and it's so much fun to go into stealth and try to position myself for backstab damage. Nothing beats dropping caltrops, setting up traps, applying posion and weaken conditions, and shadowstepping around the battlefield like a god damn ninja.

Jinko

Speaking of showing videos, some of you have been wondering why we haven’t officially released the footage of the demo we ran at gamescom. The answer to that is simple: it still looks like an ordinary MMO. Sure, our current players have been bowled over by the differences between the original version and A Realm Reborn. However, for those discerning MMO fans who haven’t played the original version, A Realm Reborn in its current state merely looks like your everyday MMO...just with better graphics.

Bold and honest. This is the only answer that would have sufficed.

Well that's lame, no matter when they show it it will still look like another everyday MMO.

There is no way they will trump the hype and appeal of games like Tera and GW2.

Animekatt

I recall reading an interview in which Yoshida stated that players would have to explore and discover areas to reveal the map. It will be obscured at the start of the game and there will be achievements tied to uncovering the map. He hasn't stated if any rewards will be directly tied to the achievements though.

That sounds really good to me. I'm up for the exploration challenge of uncovering the maps as you go through them. I liked how in XI you had to purchase the maps, or gain them from quests (if i remember correctly). I currently have just 11 aeth gates left to unlock before I'm done with those.

I'm glad that we finally have a set date for when the servers shut down. Still need to earn and save money, and level up LTW. Wouldn't mind beating Garuda as well, but that seems like a pipe dream... :(

Salaadin

Revealing the map through exploration is better than the current system where they just show you everything. Its also better than FFXIs, where you were forced to go without if you didnt have the gil/quest completed. Still, I like having uncharted areas and hidden passages on the maps so itd be cool if they still keep those.

Im happy that we have an end date now. I dont feel so rushed knowing that its still 2 months out. Thats plenty of time to wrap up the GC quests, get a craft to 50, finish AF and maybe even get some of the better R/E gear drops.

Munba

Well that's lame, no matter when they show it it will still look like another everyday MMO.

We really don't know about it until the Reborn release. So i'm rather confident in Yoshi's words. And i'm expecting something different in content department (except quests) compared to the usual mmorpgs (gw2 and stuff) around.

Riposte

Hype isn't universal. Final Fantasy fans might not care about those two games at all, but they could have become interested in FFXIV. Same applies to people who want to play their MMORPG on a console. Then there's Japan.

Allard

I think what Yoshida is trying to say is that a simple gameplay demonstration will, no matter how you look at it, look like an MMO because MMO's (even with GW2 and Tera) just don't translate exceeding well from the over the shoulder perspective (I got no more hyped for GW2 during the production process or Tera for that matter watching gameplay demos, it was well crafted gameplay videos that were crafted in private that got people hyped). MMO's are about the open world freedom, playing with others and enjoying a wide range of things to do but more often then not you can't replicate the feeling of actually playing the game while watching someone else play.

Which is why he seems more focused on hyping the game from the background and then letting people simply play 2.0 to see if they like it, he doesn't want this game to come across as a typical MMO so they don't put promotional materials showing such, they want it to be a console Final Fantasy game in an MMO environment and I guess the stuff they hoped would bring out the 'Final Fantasy' uniqueness wasn't ready to be shown yet. The only thing we got that showed this new focus is the limit break trailer (which by the way I am surprised hasn't been put on the website, it looked like it was designed to be on the teaser site). Personally my hope is that since Yoshida has now gotten out of the way the first public gameplay demonstration he can move on to defining the overhauled FF14 in its own unique light, show more of the revitalized world, show more new content, give us sneak peaks at housing, sneak peaks PvP (in trailer form for now), new classes, changes to crafting and gathering etc.

Teknoman

New Producer Letter,
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/53080

The servers will go down on november 11 but the servers will keep data until november 1.

On november 11 there'll be a new Live Letter.

What does this mean exactly? Also that seems like a long way off...I thought 2.0 beta was supposed to start sometime in October?

Oh:

The grand finale is right around the corner, as the Seventh Umbral Era descends on Eorzea. A final save maintenance for current version character data is scheduled for November 1, 2012, followed by all Worlds coming down on November 11, 2012 at 0:00am (PST) / 8:00am (GMT). Then at 2:00am (PST) / 10:00am (GMT), also on November 11, we’re planning to run a live Letter from the Producer.

I'd be happy to sign up to alpha test. I'd like to do the most in my power, to make sure that XIV 2.0 is as stable and fun as possible, even if that means just searching for bugs.

Alex

If you liked FFXI's music, you want Naoshi Mizuta instead. Uematsu's great with bombastic stuff like Dancing Mad and Audi Famam Illius, but Mizuta really brings an environment to life.

I love both Uematsu and Mizuta, literally my two favorite game composers. I do think Mizuta has been a little phonin' it in on his FFXI work as of the past few sets, though. I want to hear some more guitar work from him, especially. Odd, that people worship all his guitar focused songs, and he stopped producing them altogether from what I've heard out of his last few soundtracks.

I still prefer Uematsu overall though, even though I'm not much of an FF head anymore, I'll always love that mans music. Just somethin' about it. Always liked what he had done for XIV as well, and look forward to hearing more than a few tunes in 2.0.

Guild Wars 2 is a subless product people will likely drift to and from and it'll have it's highs and lows, that's the nice thing about it, with both it's design and it's model: it's a supplementary game, something the genre needed.

Tera has no hype and no wide appeal for anyone to worry about, the only people who care about Tera would be the small, insular fanbase that's still playing it. Sorry if that sounds venomous, I'm really not out to get it, just speaking in terms of influence. It's about as meaningful as the current, broken version of FFXIV. Honestly, this is a weird inclusion and I'm not sure what they'd have to fear from it's very meager presence.

If they relaunch a decent product and put out decent advertising, especially in conjunction with a console launch, I think they'll do OK. I don't think they'll ever get the momentum they could have possibly had, but it'll be something.

A little off topic but what do you not like about the class and ability design? I think it's one of the best parts about the game. Once you start unlocking traits, you have so many options to customize your build and creating combos is really fun. My opinion may be biased since I'm currently playing a thief. I have a lot of interesting utilities and it's so much fun to go into stealth and try to position myself for backstab damage. Nothing beats dropping caltrops, setting up traps, applying posion and weaken conditions, and shadowstepping around the battlefield like a god damn ninja.

I dislike their most of their various systems, especially their buff/debuff fare, I also find the controls a bit sludgy and unresponsive for the flow it goes for and dislike how every large swaths of the class design has this vague Arcane Mage-esque flow of one basic attack altered by a bunch of medium, conditional cooldowns. This REALLY sucks in PvE, which is what I'm more into in this game. There's a lot of ideas spread way, way too thin in general as well.

Also, launch tuning, I know it isn't fair to call out an MMO on that, but Engineer, which is the class I really want to play has some severely borked number work on it. If Engineer gets tuned properly, I'll be a lot happier, because I am hating all of my backup choices, especially Mesmer.

Sofo

I'm so upset at the moment. :/ I hate the materia system and I hate that to do Garuda I need to reach such cap. So far have had 0 lucky with double-melds (and people even dare to suggest triple!). 2 tries for the lightning brand, nothing, 2 tries on the woolen tights, nothing, 3 tries on the fingerless raptorskin gloves, nothing. What is this shit. ._.

Then I have a friend, who got 2 double melds on his first try. ):

I'm so upset at the moment. :/ I hate the materia system and I hate that to do Garuda I need to reach such cap. So far have had 0 lucky with double-melds (and people even dare to suggest triple!). 2 tries for the lightning brand, nothing, 2 tries on the woolen tights, nothing, 3 tries on the fingerless raptorskin gloves, nothing. What is this shit. ._.

Welcome to Final Fantasy MMOs where luck is the only thing that matter.

Coldsnap

Yea, i threw a little hissy fit yesterday when I materia 7+ high rank stuff and only got MND II... seriusly wtf game. 4+ hours of spiritbind and LOST money?!

Allard

Yea, i threw a little hissy fit yesterday when I materia 7+ high rank stuff and only got MND II... seriusly wtf game. 4+ hours of spiritbind and LOST money?!

Its without a doubt tuned way to much in the Randomness factor right now (Should get minimum tier III on gear when you materia lvl 41+ gear) but there does need to be some randomness in order to keep the market value from inflating too much. I think the main problem is they went over board and thus accentuate what should be a more invisible mechanism and instead turned it into a true game of luck with odds closer to winning the lottery then actually feeling you got a chance at something worthwhile.

I am on the other hand OK with the double meld gear bonding, 20-30% at getting a great item sounds about right and if you want to make the extra effort to get it while its +1, then the game should reward you for that if you succeed and make a large penalty for failure. the +3-5 melds are icing on the insane cake where if you really want to take the monetary chance you can make near game breaking gear, but it will be so rare that no one will expect you to have them. Just need to make sure you don't tune the game or its ultimate rewards to having 3+ melded gear in order to have a reliable chance to win something (Garuda as mentioned in this thread), unless its designed to be a challenge that only results in a neat achievement/title, then I am OK with it. I think the only item in game where the double meld bonding feels over the top is on the relic items due to harder nature in procuring weapon to even bond to it, much less double meld on 2 tier IV materia.

Ala Alba

Its without a doubt tuned way to much in the Randomness factor right now (Should get minimum tier III on gear when you materia lvl 41+ gear) but there does need to be some randomness in order to keep the market value from inflating too much.

Wouldn't less randomness result in deflated market value of materia instead of inflated? The reason Int IVs are worth >500k is that they're so rare (In the course of spiritbonding ~50 items, I have made exactly 0 of them).

The other problem is that tier I and II materia is essentially worthless. The bonus isn't large enough to justify taking the time to meld a single one to gear, and the chance of double/triple/quadruple melding them is not significantly greater than tier III and IV.

Mature

I think they're doing a bit of reforming when it comes to materia anyway. Or at least, that's what I gathered when they made mention awhile ago about the reduced usefulness of materia'd gear in ARR.

NeoBELIEVE is a ghost town recently. Everybody in GW 2 right now or what?

Nah, people just have a bunch of other linkshells they're in. That's why i'm for only being able to join one free company (guild) in 2.0. No offence to people with multiple linkshells but when they have 6-8 different linkshells one will start to feel like a ghost town. I rarely see more than 5-6 talking in neo but there is like 18-20 people in the linkshell online.

Allard

Wouldn't less randomness result in deflated market value of materia instead of inflated? The reason Int IVs are worth >500k is that they're so rare (In the course of spiritbonding ~50 items, I have made exactly 0 of them).

The other problem is that tier I and II materia is essentially worthless. The bonus isn't large enough to justify taking the time to meld a single one to gear, and the chance of double/triple/quadruple melding them is not significantly greater than tier III and IV.

I meant deflating sorry, basically this is what I think should happen. 1) Guarantee a specific tier of materia for any gear that has both a required level and a required class (part of the randomness is that they still had optimal gear in game which meant people could get various materia spiritbonding something other then what they were leveling as a potential exploit) 2) Change the probability rules for melding to make tier stacking have a higher penalty, and spreading out the tiers into a much higher probability (like 60-70% chance of succeeding) so suddenly those lower tiers have a nice use even at end game when combined with tier IV, Tier III etc. Do those two things, Tier IV's go down in price but specific ones will still be more sought after (and randomness will still be a small part of the spiritbonding system), makes all tiers useful while also allowing room for those to stack the tier IV's but it has a huge chance to backfire on them to make it only for the monetary insane. In the end one of the bigger issues is they need to tune the games loot system better against the content they are being designed against.

I think they're doing a bit of reforming when it comes to materia anyway. Or at least, that's what I gathered when they made mention awhile ago about the reduced usefulness of materia'd gear in ARR.

Yeah that's the other thing, they streamlining the stats to have the same bonus as you would get from leveling up. State stacking will still be useful, but won't dramatically change your performance like they can now.

Darryl

Banned

If you don't have the money to risk, try a III > IV. It saves you a ton of money. That should be more than adequate for Garuda. I've seen people do her with single melds and AF.

Triple meld is really entering gamblers territory. It's about a 1/50 chance of an item being tripled so you should never go into it expecting results. Don't take anyones advice to do this if you aren't 100% willing to just throw away whatever you're trying to meld.

Yea, I'm pretty sure they nerfed materia in this last patch. They must be trying to clear some of the materia out for 2.0.

kiryogi

Banned
Nah, people just have a bunch of other linkshells they're in. That's why i'm for only being able to join one free company (guild) in 2.0. No offence to people with multiple linkshells but when they have 6-8 different linkshells one will start to feel like a ghost town. I rarely see more than 5-6 talking in neo but there is like 18-20 people in the linkshell online.

It is a point of contention I'm dealing with right now on having us united and active.

Also this is why we formed 2 lses. One that should be the active end gamers and one for the causals. . .

But right now its just a major issue of conflicts of interest and folks still developing. . . I hope with Free Company we shall truly be "United we Stand"

My biggest goal with red dot is again "United" and "Active"

ZetaEpyon

It is a point of contention I'm dealing with right now on having us united and active.

Also this is why we formed 2 lses. One that should be the active end gamers and one for the causals. . .

But right now its just a major issue of conflicts of interest and folks still developing. . . I hope with Free Company we shall truly be "United we Stand"

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer for those of us on the more casual side of things, since we can still see ~20 people on, but then ask a question and be lucky to get any response at all most of the time. Is there any way to send a single line to a different linkshell without going through the menus and choosing "Talk to Members"?

Honestly, it wouldn't even be much of an issue in the first place if not for the garbage design of current linkshells, with no ability to remove people who are no longer active. As long as they get that right in 2.0, I don't think it will be a problem.

I have only 3 but the amount of chat that flies by is absurd. I couldn't imagine having more than those and trying to follow a conversation.

Allard

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer for those of us on the more casual side of things, since we can still see ~20 people on, but then ask a question and be lucky to get any response at all most of the time. Is there any way to send a single line to a different linkshell without going through the menus and choosing "Talk to Members"?

Honestly, it wouldn't even be much of an issue in the first place if not for the garbage design of current linkshells, with no ability to remove people who are no longer active. As long as they get that right in 2.0, I don't think it will be a problem.

/el "number of linkshell".

and then start talking. You can change your linkshells with a key stroke now by just having /el and then the number of the shell, Like you want to talk to linkshell 2 so you go, /el 2 and then a new key stroke and just start typing as long as you are defaulted to typing in linkshell chat already by doing /l first. This works even while crafting.

ZetaEpyon

/el "number of linkshell".

and then start talking. You can change your linkshells with a key stroke now by just having /el and then the number of the shell, Like you want to talk to linkshell 2 so you go, /el 2 and then a new key stroke and just start typing as long as you are defaulted to typing in linkshell chat already by doing /l first. This works even while crafting.

Thanks, I'd tried a number of different variations on /l# /ls# and so on. I figured there had to be something, but the documentation is... sorely lacking. :)

Sallokin

NeoBELIEVE is a ghost town recently. Everybody in GW 2 right now or what?

I've been extremely busy with work =(

I haven't logged on in weeks and it's not because I don't want to. I'm hoping that things should calm down by mid/late September so I can finish off all the 1.0 stuff I need and grab my DRG AF Helm.

Allard

I haven't logged on in weeks and it's not because I don't want to. I'm hoping that things should calm down by mid/late September so I can finish off all the 1.0 stuff I need and grab my DRG AF Helm.

Although I started out playing GW2 this last weekend I am already burnt out on the game lol (Its structured nicely, but I really don't care too much for the games combat system, liked it at first but once you get all your weapons and skills it doesn't feel like you really customize your play much and started to get boring really fast, especially since there is no 'roles' in the game it just feels like a zerg fest with limited strategy, especially WvW). My problem in regards to FFXIV play time is the stupid PS-Vita update for PSone games has me replaying the old Final Fantasies again I got addicted, been playing FF9 all week with a little FF8 thrown in the mix and after that playing Xenogears, FFVII and Grandia XD. At this point I mainly don't come on because I would rather level/spend my time in 2.0 then waste my energy with 1.0 these days, outside of some achievements and titles (finishing that damn Darnus fight...), I really have no will to get on the game right now.

I'm down for helping with that if needed, just send Mister Saturn a tell. I needed a lot of help on mine and am more than happy to give back.

Hopefully this will be solved with Free Companies. I'm expecting a few to go their separate way.

Allard

Apparently there is going to be a presentation at PAX for FFXIV in 25 minutes, not sure if 25th anniversary stream from SEmembers will show it, but it will be interesting to see if there is anything new from the gamescon presentation.

Edit: No live stream but it seems new stuff was shown, the new in game battle trailer hinted at in the recent live letter and couple other misc. material. Also talk around twitter (via official forum) that level sync will be in 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom