• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sykotik

Anyone know of any trustworthy sites still selling this for ~$15? I'm contemplating grabbing a copy for when 2.0 hits.. if it hasn't already. I don't know whats going on with this game.

Carlisle

I resubbed in June and have been getting through some of these really slow going early missions. Just added myself to the doc and will fill in the rest of my character deets in the morning. Would love a pearl, but looking forward to playing with you fine folks either way. I don't know a soul on the game, so I feel like getting past the early missions and having some community goings on will really spark things up.

dwix

Finally hit 20 this weekend on GLD and got introduced to the materia system while doing it. I can't actually proceed with the materia quest until I hit 18 with a DoH. At this point is it best to just keep cranking on leveling GLD or should I spend some time leveling up crafting?

I play pretty casually so I don't know if investing in crafting is worth it, especially with 2.0 getting closer and closer...

Salaadin

Anyone here familiar with Skirmish? Tips for the tree fight?

Ive been on a few runs so far and we only won once. That tree gets us everytime.
Fight always starts smoothly but the hate resetting always turns the fight into a mess where the tree just ping pongs back and forth between people and, once we get him to stand still again, there are too many people dead and recovery is next to impossible.

Ive been on a few runs so far and we only won once. That tree gets us everytime.
Fight always starts smoothly but the hate resetting always turns the fight into a mess where the tree just ping pongs back and forth between people and, once we get him to stand still again, there are too many people dead and recovery is next to impossible.

- Don't attack him from behind, beacuse it spams AoE
- Don't use -enmity skills, it has the contrary effect (or some along the lines, not sure about this one)
- Try to fight in the beach, instead of the corridor, if he reset hate is easily get caught behind him and get stomped in that corridor
- I'm not sure about this, but some parties kited the guy when the got hate.Sometimes worked sometimes don't.

Is still quite annoying fight either way.

Teknoman

Double tanks usually work nice (Paladin and Warrior), at least thats what worked for my party. Paladin, Warrior, Dragoon, Monk, 2 White Mage, Bard, and a Black Mage. Once hate reset hits, everyone just has to be on their A game to make sure buffs are still up, and there is a decent distance between the less defense inclined members. You might wind up with a couple deaths, but the majority of the time that party layout works fine.

i7vv3SbvxKPrr.jpg

Salaadin

- Don't attack him from behind, beacuse it spams AoE
- Don't use -enmity skills, it has the contrary effect (or some along the lines, not sure about this one)
- Try to fight in the beach, instead of the corridor, if he reset hate is easily get caught behind him and get stomped in that corridor
- I'm not sure about this, but some parties kited the guy when the got hate.Sometimes worked sometimes don't.

Is still quite annoying fight either way.

Yeah, weve been doing most of this. Actually havent tried kiting yet but we did learn that he can be slept occasionally. One of our BLMs managed to stick him 3 times last night as test.

Double tanks usually work nice (Paladin and Warrior), at least thats what worked for my party. Paladin, Warrior, Dragoon, Monk, 2 White Mage, Bard, and a Black Mage. Once hate reset hits, everyone just has to be on their A game to make sure buffs are still up, and there is a decent distance between the less defense inclined members. You might wind up with a couple deaths, but the majority of the time that party layout works fine.

http://i.minus.com/i7vv3SbvxKPrr.jpg

We went with a similar setup too but once the PLD loses hate, it goes crazy. Im the WAR, though, so part of the problem could very well be my inexperience in groups and me still trying to learn how hate in this game works.
I get hate but I cant seem to hold it. Its almost always going after the BLMs.

Im also lacking in enmity+ gear. I only have Coral Armillae so far since I havent really had the chance to go after the meatier stuff like Stonewall Earrings.

Salaadin

I wonder if my old, POS laptop with integrated graphics from 2008 can run this on the bare minimum settings. Itd be kinda nice to be able to craft or something on the laptop while I watch a movie or something. Its a little more difficult to do if Im on my desktop.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can you add anti-aliasing in FFXIV? (sorry for the random question)

Necrovex

Yeah, that would run the current game very well.

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro that runs the current game very well, and that's a lot better than it.

On top of that, 2.0 has lower system requirements.

Awesome. I might actually play FFXIV a lot sooner now.

Salaadin

Can you add anti-aliasing in FFXIV? (sorry for the random question)

You mean in addition to the options available in ffxivconfig.exe?
I havent tried it myself but I remember people successfully adding MLAA to it a while back. I dont know of any others, though.

Xux

I doubt anyone remembers me (Zoe Xuxu on Sargatanas or whatever Lindblum became) but I kinda wanna play this some more again especially since 2.0 looks pretty awesome.

But...is there much to do besides grinding and loot? I kinda really hate min-maxing and I'm gonna cancel my subscription before I stand around for hours in Ul'dah shouting to get a chance to do something. So maybe this just isn't my genre but I had a bit of fun getting PGL/MNK to 50 and toying with a couple other classes.

Teknoman

I doubt anyone remembers me (Zoe Xuxu on Sargatanas or whatever Lindblum became) but I kinda wanna play this some more again especially since 2.0 looks pretty awesome.

But...is there much to do besides grinding and loot? I kinda really hate min-maxing and I'm gonna cancel my subscription before I stand around for hours in Ul'dah shouting to get a chance to do something. So maybe this just isn't my genre but I had a bit of fun getting PGL/MNK to 50 and toying with a couple other classes.

Well other than finishing the story and grabbing all the rare items you can before the rebirth...thats about it. Dont really have to stand around too long nowadays since everyone is probably scrambling to do all they can before November.

SOLDIER

Imagine if they built an Opera House where players can freely enter and sit, while the center stage can be used to:

-re-enact classic FF moments

-stream music from concert events (Distant Worlds, Black Mages)

-stream newly announced SE trailers, announcements, etc

Million dollar idea?

TheMink

Well other than finishing the story and grabbing all the rare items you can before the rebirth...thats about it. Dont really have to stand around too long nowadays since everyone is probably scrambling to do all they can before November.

What rare items wont be in 2.0?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Running out of inventory space... is there any reason to keep any of this junk? Do 'high level' crafting recipes still sometimes need low level mats, or are they useless 'cept to vendor?

Teknoman

Imagine if they built an Opera House where players can freely enter and sit, while the center stage can be used to:

-re-enact classic FF moments

-stream music from concert events (Distant Worlds, Black Mages)

-stream newly announced SE trailers, announcements, etc

Million dollar idea?

The team would have to figure out how to tie it into the overall story :p

Sofo

Hey, is there some Garuda interest? My BLM is too gimp for it, but my WHM has 424 enhancing with food. Just some Darklight and a double-meld shy from capping regen! I'm also fairly decent I think, so it'd be awesome if I could join. Thanks <3

(I'm Enki!)

Actually just need the Darklight Gloves o: that'd make me 1 point over the 438 cap!

King_Moc

Banned
Hey, is there some Garuda interest? My BLM is too gimp for it, but my WHM has 424 enhancing with food. Just some Darklight and a double-meld shy from capping regen! I'm also fairly decent I think, so it'd be awesome if I could join. Thanks <3

(I'm Enki!)

Actually just need the Darklight Gloves o: that'd make me 1 point over the 438 cap!

Well i need to do it, and i know a few others do. Is this the lv40 one, or is there a higher level one, like with Ifrit?

Salaadin

Well i need to do it, and i know a few others do. Is this the lv40 one, or is there a higher level one, like with Ifrit?

Theres a higher level one and Im pretty sure thats what hes talking about.
The GC mission Garuda is pretty easy. You need to pay attention but its not all that bad.

dwix

So I hit 22 last night and at this point I am still just doing guildleves and story quests as they come up... Am I missing out on other efficient ways to get experience right now? Once I hit 30 I plan to take on the PLD job quest, so that'll be a nice change.

Running out of inventory space... is there any reason to keep any of this junk? Do 'high level' crafting recipes still sometimes need low level mats, or are they useless 'cept to vendor?

I often ask that same question, and I find this website to be extremely helpful: http://mooglebox.com/includes/index.php

Though whenever I'm not sure, I just send items to my retainer.

TheMink

So I hit 22 last night and at this point I am still just doing guildleves and story quests as they come up... Am I missing out on other efficient ways to get experience right now? Once I hit 30 I plan to take on the PLD job quest, so that'll be a nice change.

I often ask that same question, and I find this website to be extremely helpful: http://mooglebox.com/includes/index.php

Though whenever I'm not sure, I just send items to my retainer.

The only superior way is with a second person and do higher lvl leves, i just hit lvl 38 arc. But i wont be able to play again until monday at the earliest, probably tuesday.
If you get to lvl 35-40 by then would you be up for doing some major grinding up to 50?

If 22-35 proves to be too steep of a request for a weeks time dont worry about it lol :p

My name is Eleaus Ffamran

EDIT: you in the GAF ls/sargantas?

Salaadin

There was a link posted here a while back from the official forums (I think) that compiled all the 2.0 changes and linked to all the different interviews, etc where that information was found. Does anyone have that link handy?

Loona

There are more quests nowadays than before, so you can take new classes through those (or at least use them to finish the quest at an NPC for some exp).
As for the Ul'dah situation, now that I have MNK at 50, instead of levelling another combat job, I tend to stick with doing crafting leves in Ul'dah while keeping an eye on shouts, which leaves me closer to both getting my quests that require groups done and being able to repair as much of my gear on my own as possible - I'm far from self-sufficient yet, but it's nice to get some work done that'll be useful for every other class and job.

I'm also loving than an NPC for the MNK quests, Erik, gives you access to more and more lore/setting lessons as you progress in those class quests - I don't know if this has an equivalent for other jobs, but having completed Five Easy Pieces yesterday (if anyone else needs "Return of the King... of Ruin" let me know), it was interesting to see that that unlocked a lecture of his where he infers that the Crystal Tower Yoshi-P's been talking about is actually buried in Mor Dhona, and to further the FF3 reference, there's a guy called Xandes buried there.

Caj814

Is there any backup downloads available for patching a fresh FFXIV installation? I wanted to hop in before the major update but the client is still craptastic as ever when I was in the alpha and beta.

dwix

The only superior way is with a second person and do higher lvl leves, i just hit lvl 38 arc. But i wont be able to play again until monday at the earliest, probably tuesday.
If you get to lvl 35-40 by then would you be up for doing some major grinding up to 50?

If 22-35 proves to be too steep of a request for a weeks time dont worry about it lol :p

My name is Eleaus Ffamran

EDIT: you in the GAF ls/sargantas?

Hah! I play pretty casually, so I'd say it'll be a while before I hit 35. Especially if I am trying to get the PLD job once I hit 30.

And yes, I am on the GAF LS as Galatea Stormborn. If I manage to sky rocket levels this week, I'll let you know ;)

TheMink

Hah! I play pretty casually, so I'd say it'll be a while before I hit 35. Especially if I am trying to get the PLD job once I hit 30.

And yes, I am on the GAF LS as Galatea Stormborn. If I manage to sky rocket levels this week, I'll let you know ;)

Haha alright cool. :3

If anyone else wants to do that with me (preferably a good compliment to archer) let me know!

Edit: Oh, when you do the paladin quest let me know and ill help you out if im in town!

Teknoman

Is there any backup downloads available for patching a fresh FFXIV installation? I wanted to hop in before the major update but the client is still craptastic as ever when I was in the alpha and beta.

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php

EDIT: What the...just tried to fill out the newest player poll, and its telling me my password is wrong. Decided to click "forgot my password" to see if its just me confusing it with another game, and now the site is saying "There is no Square Enix account registered with this e-mail address."

EDIT 2: And now its working? That was strange.

Anyway player's poll stuff:

This schedule is the basis for our 4th Players&#8217; Poll. Before you answer, however, please read and be aware of the conditions below:

1. Any play data after November 1, 2012, will not be transferred to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.
2. Certain story elements will contradict events from the Seventh Umbral Era finale.
3. There will be no further patches or bug fixes (although GM calls will be available).
4. Players with an active subscription as of September 30, 2012 can play for free.

Embryon

Neo Member
I think keeping the servers online after data collection is kind of pointless, and it seems like a waste of time/effort/money for SE. Still, it's nice of them to give us the option.

I think keeping the servers online after data collection is kind of pointless, and it seems like a waste of time/effort/money for SE. Still, it's nice of them to give us the option.

Agreed. I would be surprised if the majority actually said they wanted it. The game isn't horrible but it isn't great either. I think it is acceptable because we all expected more changes on the way.

How do I go about getting a linkshell invite to NeoBelieve? I'm getting lonely and need an audience to whine to.

I'm Jack Thwagger on Sargantanas.

Cmagus

How do I go about getting a linkshell invite to NeoBelieve? I'm getting lonely and need an audience to whine to.

I'm Jack Thwagger on Sargantanas.

You could come to the base and I am sure one of the leaders can pearl you.The base is in Uldah at 6,4 that or you can message Eithne Rain or Ravidrath Astolph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom