• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

6443.jpg

New LIVE Letter on September 14,
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=5dc471e01937a5088117bc2f17761ae60e8587b2

Post your questions here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/53594-Your-questions-for-the-Letter-of-the-Producer-LIVE

And a good article on 1up,
http://www.1up.com/features/final-fantasy-xiv-franchise-reborn

Cmagus

Hmm so is our Red Dot site down? I keep getting an error saying it that custom sites are not available on the free plan.

Coldsnap

From 1up article:

After that it's a quick jaunt to an NPC who puts us in jail after we profess to believe in the words of the Wandering Minstrel. In prison we meet said Wandering Minstrel himself, who looks suspiciously like Naoki Yoshida. The character offers us encouraging words about the arrival of Meteor and the rebirth to come -- and then we are spirited away back to Limsa Lominsa. It's a nice personal touch from the man in charge.

I havn't seen this... where is it?

Loona

What the...?

Who else in here is secretly writing for 1Up?

I saw the writer for that asking for long term players to interview for this in Limsa - I haven't been around long enough to qualify, but I send him a few /tells and tips. seems like he got some good help.

Xux

Arcanist sounds pretty cool and I always wanted to be a Summoner in FFXI.

Both my DoMs are level 10 though so I guess I'd better get some practice in.

kiryogi

Banned
I saw the writer for that asking for long term players to interview for this in Limsa - I haven't been around long enough to qualify, but I send him a few /tells and tips. seems like he got some good help.

Neat that they did it on our server, too bad he was asking in Limsa though. Would have totally given a shout out to GAF.

Hmm so is our Red Dot site down? I keep getting an error saying it that custom sites are not available on the free plan.

The worker moogles we hired went on a strike this morning over labor wages. We
just got out of negotiations this minute and for the moment, I was able to appease them.

Salaadin

Rested XP combined with food and a gc xp scroll makes crafting less of a drag but damn, I wish there was an even faster/less boring way to get XP on DoH jobs. Anything else I can do to make this better or is the best thing to just....stick with it? Ugh

kiryogi

Banned
Rested XP combined with food and a gc xp scroll makes crafting less of a drag but damn, I wish there was an even faster/less boring way to get XP on DoH jobs. Anything else I can do to make this better or is the best thing to just....stick with it? Ugh

Do Ifrit/Moogle over and over XD

Allard

Hmm? Why would this help/work?

You get free EXP when you finish the quest needed to 'potentially' get a primal drop. Usually around 5k+ EXP each time, not exactly a fast way, but its free if you are planning to do the content anyways! Just equip the class you want to earn the EXP, finish the quest and get the EXP for it, however, EXP fluctuates based on the gap between the recommended level and the level of the class you use on completion. If you are lvl 44 or less then that then EXP will get reduced proportionately. In other words... don't use the free EXP for anything less then lvl 40 unless that's all you got left. I once did the quest as a lvl 27 leatherworker... got like 1.1k EXP instead of 5k.

TheMink

You get free EXP when you finish the quest needed to 'potentially' get a primal drop. Usually around 5k+ EXP each time, not exactly a fast way, but its free if you are planning to do the content anyways! Just equip the class you want to earn the EXP, finish the quest and get the EXP for it, however, EXP fluctuates based on the gap between the recommended level and the level of the class you use on completion. If you are lvl 44 or less then that then EXP will get reduced proportionately. In other words... don't use the free EXP for anything less then lvl 40 unless that's all you got left. I once did the quest as a lvl 27 leatherworker... got like 1.1k EXP instead of 5k.

Genius! Thats really cool.

Jinko

I thought they drastically reduced the amount of XP you get when changing to a DoL and DoH class for this method, or was that just for Caravan ?

Awesome that Arcanist and Summoners fight with grimoires.

Agreed its a nice touch, look forward to what they have planned with future weapons/classes.

Sofo

I thought they drastically reduced the amount of XP you get when changing to a DoL and DoH class for this method, or was that just for Caravan ?

Still works for me! At 40 MIN I got like 3k EXP, at 44 I almost got full EXP (minimum is 45 for primals so we'll see).

Loona

What are these?

http://i.imgur.com/Vlx5j.jpg

Reminded me of Star Wars.

The garlean empire's airships, they're been present in the airspace since the latest patch - I like the ominous tone they're creating with the ever-nearing Dalamud and now details like this.
It makes it feel like it's pointless to go go that fights that are supposed to spot it all though - I wonder if the scenes after United We Stand and To Kill a Raven are worthwile, since they're really not going to stop anything...

Allard

Only half way through the talk session (I am at work, probably shouldn't even be watching it XD), looks like level capping and gear score is going to be implemented alongside level sync. Level caps are being implemented purely because of mission/story events like Ifrit lvl 30 where you get out of a cutscene only to watch ifrit die from your friends massacring it with higher levels. On one hand I think its needed for certain content, on the other I am going to miss having the option to completely tear apart a monster/dungeon that I found difficult at a lower level. It also means no more dual-box spamming toto-rak (like) dungeons on high levels ; ;. Also as sddarkshadow showed, the sound director Soken is a riot. Very candid and cool individual, laughed at the Judge line as well.

Munba

I like the way they are going to change music in the areas. We'll have also village tracks like old times finally.

Salaadin

FFXIs level capped stuff was great but it was difficult to find help for because nobody carried level 30, 40, 50, and 60 gear on them at all times and didnt want to spend the gil to equip themselves for those levels only to have to re-sell it when they were done. Implementing a level sync for gear right off the bat is a great idea.

Im completely in favor of level capped mission fights. It puts everyone on the same level, forces people to use strategy and play the game, and nobody gets an easy way out because they have high level friends.

TheMink

FFXIs level capped stuff was great but it was difficult to find help for because nobody carried level 30, 40, 50, and 60 gear on them at all times and didnt want to spend the gil to equip themselves for those levels only to have to re-sell it when they were done. Implementing a level sync for gear right off the bat is a great idea.

Im completely in favor of level capped mission fights. It puts everyone on the same level, forces people to use strategy and play the game, and nobody gets an easy way out because they have high level friends.

It would be cool if you could at least keep your high tiered equipment on while you do the low level stuff. Then you could be a little stronger than usual.

In xi did it take a away abilities that you gained at higher lvls? Or do you keep those.

ZetaEpyon

It would be cool if you could at least keep your high tiered equipment on while you do the low level stuff. Then you could be a little stronger than usual.

In xi did it take a away abilities that you gained at higher lvls? Or do you keep those.

That's what the gear level sync would be. I doubt that you'll be stronger than having proper level-appropriate gear, though.

In XI, yes, you effectively WERE that level, and only had access to any abilities up to that point.

creid

I think they eventually fixed this in XI. You don't have to change gear when your level has been capped anymore, your stats just get scaled down.

Loona

I'm not, after someone is done with those things they never want to go back unless it'll seem easier - Chains of Promathia was hell to do because of this, but even in its time it had an excuse that several people had already done all of the Zilart stuff, which was for the higher levels of its day, it put new and old players on almost equal footing, and gave new players more things to try before reaching the level cap.
Having an optional cap for higher rewards or something would be preferable IMO, like they already do if you do certain GC missions only with people of the same GC.

Salaadin

I think they eventually fixed this in XI. You don't have to change gear when your level has been capped anymore, your stats just get scaled down.
Yeah. Level sync in FFXI was huge.
But then they went and removed the level capping from the mission fights too and made things ridiculously easy.

In XI, if you did a mission that capped you at 40, you lost any 41+ abilities. Any gear that was level 41+ would also be removed and youd essentially be naked unless you brought new, level appropriate gear with you.

They added level sync later on and that made things better but there were still complaints because the level capped fights were hard, required a lot of work, and sometimes needed hours to complete so they scrapped the level cap altogether to make it easier but, imo, killed most of the excitement that came from those fights.

I hope XIV finds a happy middle ground here. Level capping, gear and level syncing and difficult but not crazy fights so that people can still be reasonably happy with them.

Loona

Yeah. Level sync in FFXI was huge.
But then they went and removed the level capping from the mission fights too and made things ridiculously easy.

This made them even with several other nation missions before things like the Shadow Lord fight, frankly it was for the best.

I'm particularly glad they dropped area-specific level caps - if was annoying having a beautiful area like Riverne that forced you to keep an eye on every mob around instead since several had true sight aggro. Not to mention the other day when I went to farm the Mortal ray spell for my BLU - that took ages in uncapped Phomiuna Aqueducts, would have been a masochist's meal otherwise.

If anyone is on ragnarok server and needed <In for a Garuda Awakening> Please let me know, Been trying to shout for it for about two months but can't get anyone together to do it. I'm located in Hong Kong. It's a long shot since most are on the gaf server. But worth asking ^^;;;

Teknoman

I really hope the music used in the trailer is used as a new boss theme or something somewhere. Too good to just be trailer music...but then again, every theme used in an FF trailer is somewhere in the game.

EDIT: lol "The great labyrinth of something or other".

jbkVZkGSfL8MqK.png

Thank you for removing that. I have no idea who thought that was a good idea...mini games are fine but Parley should be banished. As for cutscenes, I still hope they implement some sort of system where if there is at least one party member that hasnt seen the scene, everyone has to watch it. Its never fair to the first timer that they are forced to skip the cutscene and watch it later. Destroys all impact it has before a battle.

creid

As for cutscenes, I still hope they implement some sort of system where if there is at least one party member that hasnt seen the scene, everyone has to watch it. Its never fair to the first timer that they are forced to skip the cutscene and watch it later. Destroys all impact it has before a battle.
Not really fair for the 7 people who are just there to help out to have to wait around for an extra 5 minutes, either.

Teknoman

Not really fair for the 7 people who are just there to help out to have to wait around for an extra 5 minutes, either.

Maybe, but it still kind of cheapens the fight for that person. I guess a good middle ground would be to not start the fight clock/ have the enemies aggro until that person comes out of the scene. You are right in that they should not be forced to watch the scene, but they shouldnt be able to engage/timed battle timers shouldnt start while someone is watching.

Riposte

I wouldn't mind clearing a game by sneaking into the main villain's quarters and slipping some poison into this food. Would give the game a more RPG feel. I guess they didn't want to make a good scenario out of it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for removing that. I have no idea who thought that was a good idea...mini games are fine but Parley should be banished.

I dunno- some quests every now and then involving minigames like that instead of combat seems a good idea for variety. It's just when the only choice is between 'Parley' and 'Fetch quests' that the game suffers.

Ravidrath

As the guy who flat-out told Yoshi-P that Parley sucked and should be removed, I'm obviously very happy to see it going away.

And the problem with Parley is not that I don't want mini-games in the game, it's that I specifically don't want fucking awful mini-games in the game.

Parley is completely braindead and unbelievably slow - there isno challenge, and it takes FOREVER for the tiles just to slide around after each turn. Most of all, though, is that it's not fun. Anyone defending Parley is somehow ignoring all of these things.

Even if it's called "Parley" and they replace it with something that's actually fun, I'll be back on-board. But the game that's there now is awful and unsalvageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom