• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ecolibrium for Vita have a better AH than FFXIV and that's a free game. I really hope they give us a proper AH in 2.0. I can't sell anything in Uldah right now because there is no room for my retainer in any of the wards.

ZiZ

So guys can I level up at 2.0 as I did with FFXI? Camping & skill chaining? Because I really loved that system

from what's been said, the best way to level will be by doing quests and content. although I'm guessing grinding will always be an option.

vazel

Banned
Haha all the attention whore players are getting in front of the camera now and emoting.

Edit: The new lighting/shadows does make the game look so much better.

Allard

Lol introducing Wada using the Hildebrand theme.

Edit: Wow at the housing zone concept art. All 3 regions look really unique looking and unlike anything I have seen in an MMO.

Thoraxes

Lol introducing Wada using the Hildebrand theme.

Edit: Wow at the housing zone concept art. All 3 regions look really unique looking and unlike anything I have seen in an MMO.

Wada has always been hilarious when he's showed up to these.

For resources for those who need it in English:

Twitter with live updates: https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN
Official forum thread with updates from Bayohne: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/54357-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-III-Q-A-Updates

Teknoman

From that little bit of information about Free Companies, still not sure how they'll work. 4 players from a Grand Company start one?

Munba

Some amazing Housing concept art:

466455_349815971774124_1717256371_o.jpg

390377_349816021774119_1996091559_n.jpg

303813_349816048440783_514682630_n.jpg

487507_349816068440781_1022192950_n.jpg

548141_349816081774113_1105589872_n.jpg

And chocobo equip for your current job lol

391647_349816345107420_767821160_n.jpg

643957_349816368440751_416958619_n.jpg

488337_349816411774080_579832457_n.jpg

Animekatt

Man those housing concept art pictures are beautiful. Can't wait to buy my house right away when it's available. Loving the costumed chocos as well!

Loona

I guess other the main series titles Yoshi-P is also borrowing from the Chocobo's Dungeon spin-off - but damn does that gear look goofy in a more life-like setting, as if the concept of having Chocobos fighting at your side didn't seem weird enough...

Allard

What is the problem with the servers? What are they complaining about?

They're complaining about 'eventual' community separation because the data centers are going to be in specific regions (like almost all other MMO's under the sun... except we will get the choice to choose which center and won't be locked out like it can be in some games). I would have liked for them to go the harder route where you had a data center in each region for each server, but it was probably asking for too much. Having said that this is exactly what they had been alluding to since as far back as 2.0's announcement, they said regional servers were coming on top of international (Its already that way in THIS game now for christ sake, its Ragnarok for European players) so it would be easier for players in specific time zones to communicate in game with one another. The only question that must be asked is if this is only going to be for new servers or if this data center shuffling is going to happen for the current servers (besides the obvious Ragnarok server).

TheMink

I just randomly got an email that says my sub got canclled?
It just automatically resubbed last month i think, it shouldnt need to worry about it for another three months right? :/
Yes im on a three month plan.

Allard

I just randomly got an email that says my sub got canclled?
It just automatically resubbed last month i think, it shouldnt need to worry about it for another three months right? :/
Yes im on a three month plan.

In the last legacy update they mentioned the 90 day/180 day plans were going away and that if you didn't manually move yourself over to the 30 day plan, it would cancel your subscription till you automatically activated it for the 30 day one since the two plans are based on a different monetary standard so they had to make you do the change for legal reasons.

TheMink

In the last legacy update they mentioned the 90 day/180 day plans were going away and that if you didn't manually move yourself over to the 30 day plan, it would cancel your subscription till you automatically activated it for the 30 day one since the two plans are based on a different monetary standard so they had to make you do the change for legal reasons.

Got it, thanks.

Zaptruder

Banned
So what's the housing system going to be like in 2.0?

When they announced housing in FFXI way back when... I imagined that you'd be able to do things like invite players into your house to chill and admire your crap...

I also thought about how you'd zone into your house - they wouldn't be able to have an actual house for every player... but maybe you can still have a street instance, or a street shard - and you'd be able to view your house exterior and even see your neighbours in their houses from time to time.

It was disappointing to never see what I thought to be obvious functionality realized like that.

I mean... UO had houses dammit. And then FFXI houses were just sad in comparison. Then WoW came out and didn't have jack shit, and people kinda just forgot about player housing in MMOs. :(

ZetaEpyon

When they announced housing in FFXI way back when... I imagined that you'd be able to do things like invite players into your house to chill and admire your crap...

You can actually do this now, although I don't think anyone really does, as there's not a whole lot of a point. Can't sit on chairs or anything, and it's just a single room.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I would have liked for them to go the harder route where you had a data center in each region for each server, but it was probably asking for too much.

Hm. How would that work exactly? Wouldn't that lead to weirdness in 'mixed' parties, with JP, GB and NA players be continually out of step?

Munba

Why is that?

Because i have some american and japanese friends in game (i'm in EU) and it would be pretty impossible to convince all to come in the same regional-server. And also doing that, you are going to have surely a server with 98% people of the same region. I loved to have the possibility to meet all the people around the world in the same server.

Unless they'll mantain the actual servers.. hope so.

Because i have some american and japanese friends in game (i'm in EU) and it would be pretty impossible to convince all to come in the same regional-server. And also doing that, you are going to have surely a server with 98% people of the same region. I loved to have the possibility to meet all the people around the world in the same server.

Well hopefully you can convince everyone to pick the same server but I much rather have the choice to pick the best possible server for me than not have it. Whatever the gaf server will be I'll probably pick that one unless everyone go their separate ways which would be sad but it's not like I wouldn't meet other nice people and make friends on the new server. I admit it's really nice to meet people from all over the world but no player should have to suffer lag because of it.

Salaadin

You will probably have the choice to pick a new one if you want.

Damn. Hopefully that doesnt cause too much splitting. I know the shell Im in has people from all over the world and Id hate to lose them but, like you said, no one should be forced to suffer lag.

I really like playing with people from all over, though, and this makes me kinda sad :(

Allard

They are maintaining the current servers, it will just have a new notation next to the server name that says where the data-center is. Think that is causing more confusion then anything on the official forums the current servers are not suddenly going to die, its going to get a qualifier next to it like Ragnarok got with specific info on where the server is based in. Unless you thought Ragnarok would be the end of the world (And why not with a name like that!) the change shouldn't be that devastating to the current community. Its merely a choice for people who really wanted to play on a server near them more then they care about the current gaming community. This type of stuff would have happened anyways when new servers went live, people/guilds sometimes just want to go somewhere else.

Munba

They are maintaining the current servers, it will just have a new notation next to the server name that says where the data-center is. Think that is causing more confusion then anything on the official forums the current servers are not suddenly going to die, its going to get a qualifier next to it like Ragnarok got with specific info on where the server is based in. Unless you thought Ragnarok would be the end of the world (And why not with a name like that!) the change shouldn't be that devastating to the current community. Its merely a choice for people who really wanted to play on a server near them more then they care about the current gaming community. This type of stuff would have happened anyways when new servers went live, people/guilds sometimes just want to go somewhere else.

I see. In this case, it would be more simple to convince people to remain on the actual server. I'm a bit relieved.

Jinko

They're complaining about 'eventual' community separation because the data centers are going to be in specific regions (like almost all other MMO's under the sun... except we will get the choice to choose which center and won't be locked out like it can be in some games). I would have liked for them to go the harder route where you had a data center in each region for each server, but it was probably asking for too much. Having said that this is exactly what they had been alluding to since as far back as 2.0's announcement, they said regional servers were coming on top of international (Its already that way in THIS game now for christ sake, its Ragnarok for European players) so it would be easier for players in specific time zones to communicate in game with one another. The only question that must be asked is if this is only going to be for new servers or if this data center shuffling is going to happen for the current servers (besides the obvious Ragnarok server).

Sounds fine to me, guess I'll go play on the same server as Gromph when the time comes.

As Iron said though its just a matter of making new friends really, a year after you move it would be like it never happened.

Allard

Sounds fine to me, guess I'll go play on the same server as Gromph when the time comes.

As Iron said though its just a matter of making new friends really, a year after you move it would be like it never happened.

Hopefully with the revitalized server they make it possible keep a status update when friends from other servers are on like we had in FFXI, hell it would be nice for a /tell channel since we are getting cross-server stuff already so you can stay in touch. Another possibility is content-finder itself to not only stay in touch but play with one another. It should be possible, we know WoW does it already.

As long as the current servers still remain international, I dont see a problem.

They're all international, they just have some located in EU and some in US, but our server at the moment is actually japanese. :p If you want to join a EU server you can. The only difference now is that we can pick the server in our region for a smoother connection. It's all up to the players if they want to switch or stay where they are. Depending on the people I play with, if everyone spreads out on different servers I will most likely pick a EU server.

Oh...not really seeing a problem then.

The problem is that people think their friends will leave the server their on to go to a server located in their region. Lets say you have a JP friend, a NA friend and one from EU, everyone is on the JP server at the moment but in 2.0 the EU guy decides he want to switch to the server in EU because of the lag he gets on the JP server and then the NA guy does the same and now you can either stay with the JP friend or go to the EU or NA server. Or you can all decide that you want to play on a NA server so the JP, EU, NA player and you decide to switch.

They are all global, but some are as I said located in EU, some in NA and some in Japan. You can if you want still join any of those servers no matter where you live but if you live in NA then the server located in NA will probably give you the best connection. The server we are on now is in Japan.

Allard

The problem is that people think their friends will leave the server their on to go to a server located in their region. Lets say you have a JP friend, a NA friend and one from EU, everyone is on the JP server at the moment but in 2.0 the EU guy decides he want to switch to the server in EU because of the lag he gets on the JP server and then the NA guy does the same and now you can either stay with the JP friend or go to the EU or NA server. Or you can all decide that you want to play on a NA server so the JP, EU, NA player and you decide to switch.

They are all global, but some are as I said located in EU, some in NA and some in Japan. You can if you want still join any of those servers no matter where you live but if you live in NA then the server located in NA will probably give you the best connection. The server we are on now is in Japan.

The other part of the problem is people not reading the Q&A posted by the reps during the live event (Which they claim was what was being updated on). It specifically mentioned new players could play on new AND existing servers and that new servers would be 'fresh' (No transfers for a period of time). I think the info was supposed to be paired up but people only saw the updated info and assumed everyone was going to need to select a new world and had to choose between the various regional servers. The info posted is basically a run down of the options and changes available to the current server selection process.

Teknoman

I think we had the same issue when they were changing/merging servers. No communities were shattered, people stayed wherever they had made an impact, and those that wanted to start anew did.

I think we had the same issue when they were changing/merging servers. No communities were shattered, people stayed wherever they had made an impact, and those that wanted to start anew did.

I think people are making this a huge deal when it really isn't, sure if all your NA friends go to the server in NA and your JP friends stay on the JP server then yeah it would suck to have to choose but that means that the NA players weren't having a good gaming experience on the JP server. I think people are being a bit selfish here.

Allard

I think people are making this a huge deal when it really isn't, sure if all your NA friends go to the server in NA and your JP friends stay on the JP server then yeah it would suck to have to choose but that means that the NA players weren't having a good gaming experience on the JP server. I think people are being a bit selfish here.

There were a lot of people thinking they made some change in the plan and that people would have to choose a server again in 2.0 (I know a couple of people on BG thought that... strangely they weren't against it either). If there is anything this and the server merges of FFXIV and FFXI have shown, server changes bring out some of the most passionate disparity even if the change itself is actually inconsequential. People move to new servers all the time, even whole guilds. We knew there would be new servers, we knew we were going to get 'region preferred' servers in 2.0, the idea of data centers were going to change the paradigm that much was unwarranted to begin with as long as people had the option to maintain a similar setting as they have now going into 2.0. People should have just assumed it was like a new server opening up and people could leave if they wanted to. Its what was going to happen anyways. I am actually heavily considering making a new character on a fresh server, I'll still keep my main on Aegis but the idea of a fresh start with absolutely none of the item/gil baggage and everyone starting at lvl 1 intrigues.

Mature

Oh...not really seeing a problem then. What is there to get mad about?
The terrible climate the game started in has pushed the community into a mindset of having their cake and eating it too in every circumstance. It's just naivete. That being said, it's too bad that the friends I've made in different regions will probably go their separate ways. However, like Jinko stated, It's a matter of making new friends. If you really have a bond with those friends, you'll find a way to keep in contact.

Zaptruder

Banned
You can actually do this now, although I don't think anyone really does, as there's not a whole lot of a point. Can't sit on chairs or anything, and it's just a single room.

Yes, obviously there should be a point to inviting players in.

Sims style interaction, yay?

Method of expanding the character that goes beyond just gear?

I've always thought that player homes and player clothing (non-gear) were absolutely ideal places for developers to tap into the whole microtransactions phenomenon.

i.e. stuff that adds variety without affecting game balance. Of course, all that stuff should be earnable in game as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom