• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

Yea I agree. I enjoyed the economy of XI a lot, XIV is just fucked

While it's been fine for a few years, there was still a time where the economy in XI was just as messed up...

Overall, I like the changes as they appear to be so far. Obviously, details can make or break things, but I have confidence in Yoshi-P and the current XIV team, based on their record so far.

Salaadin

I have 3.8 mil that was mostly earned in my first and only 30-40 days with the game 2 years ago. I imagine that if I played the entire time, Id be loaded to the point where I wouldnt need to worry about gil for a long, long time.

Jinko

Forum post by Yoshi-P was translated (Gil decreases, gil cap reduction, Archers wont need to buy arrows, etc.):

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...JP-to-English)?p=831427&viewfull=1#post831427

Oh thats a silly move about the arrows, although I do like how WoW went with no need for arrows, this does effect crafters a lot more in this game unlike it did in WoW.

its actually one of the biggest reasons I am contemplating starting a new character on a 'fresh' server (even if just as a side project

I'll be doing this probably if i decide to come back in 2.0.

I didn't like 11's economy it was far to hard to make money and craft in that game, somewhere in the middle would be ideal.

Salaadin

As someone who never played BRD/ARC, what purpose do arrows serve now? Just damage? Or do they add things like stun, poison, sleep etc like they did in FFXI?

Yea I agree. I enjoyed the economy of XI a lot, XIV is just fucked

Also agree. I'm sitting on about 20 million and I stopped playing long ago. I can't imagine how fucked the economy is going to be, even with a 99,999,999 gil transfer cap.

I put so much work into my character but I am honestly considering rerolling on a new server for a fresh experience. I just want to play with GAF this time. :(

TheMink

As someone who never played BRD/ARC, what purpose do arrows serve now? Just damage? Or do they add things like stun, poison, sleep etc like they did in FFXI?

Im pretty sure just damage.

And making you go buy more :(

If they did something awesome id be bummed :p

BLCKATK

Removing the arrow requirement is such a good decision. It also balances out, CRP is getting arrows removed and furniture is being added in. If player housing is going to be all that it is promising to be, furniture will be a good money making tool, just like how arrows were.

I keep checking with my friends in game and its almost seeming like Atomos is bring in an in game apocalypse. Half of my friends can't even run the game in an area where at an Atomos is, and the other half of them are so rich that they are almost done with their relics when 2 weeks ago we could only dream because of the low drop rate on seals. I don't know how I feel about this game anymore.

Darryl

Banned
In other words, all the hard work you've put into saving up gil won't be lost. Even though the gil you possess will become 1/10th what it currently is, we're adjusting NPC sale/buy prices to also become 1/10th what they are now, so relatively nothing will change. However, we do apologize that this may be a shock emotionally.

I thought this was hilarious. You get 1/10th the amount of gil from content now, but what they're not telling you is that you're probably going to get that 1/10th amount of gil 10x as often. This is basically stripping gil from hoarders and gilsellers and trying to prevent player outrage.

I'm glad, though, because I blew all my gil chasing quad melds.

Ravidrath

I'm hoping that they don't completely get rid of arrows, but just get rid of them as a consumable item.

In this scenario, you'd still need to buy an Everfull Quiver of an arrow type, and there could be multiple types ala Poison, Blindness, etc.

Nakazato

^^^^

Would be awesome. Bard/Arch need arrow for every situation like Hawkeye.

Have a mob with high health time to pull out posion arrows. Need hp? Hp drain arrows. To many mobs to handle sleep arrows. Etc etc etc

TheMink

I'm hoping that they don't completely get rid of arrows, but just get rid of them as a consumable item.

In this scenario, you'd still need to buy an Everfull Quiver of an arrow type, and there could be multiple types ala Poison, Blindness, etc.

Yes, absolutely.

Jinko

IIn this scenario, you'd still need to buy an Everfull Quiver of an arrow type, and there could be multiple types ala Poison, Blindness, etc.

I'm willing to bet status effects will be based on different skills, an archer switching arrows isn't much different than expecting a mage to switch staffs.

I would much rather they concentrate on cooperative attacks like imbuing fire to an arrow.

Sofo

So, how does everyone feel about the 10% of your gil, come 2.0? I hate it, but that makes me want to try to earn more gil now, haha.

ForzaFerrari

Neo Member
Man, FFXI made me that I can't enjoy any other MMORPG. I have no desire to log in to GW2 and I hope that FFXIV will bring some of the FFXI magic back.

With today's billing cycle for FF XIV, I now have Legacy status :D

I had paid for a month back in April to check out the changes.. and paid for August and now september.. and I'm in.

Excited!

Salaadin

So, how does everyone feel about the 10% of your gil, come 2.0? I hate it, but that makes me want to try to earn more gil now, haha.

If thats what they have to do to fix it, then thats what they have to do. As others have pointed out, the games economy is a mess. If removing gil helps stabilize, then do it.
It makes me want to earn more too. I might spam leves or something to make a quick buck pre-ARR.

It also makes me want to level a craft even more so I can start making money right away in ARR. Im almost at 50 ARM and will probably shoot for getting BSM and maybe GSM up there too.

Man, FFXI made me that I can't enjoy any other MMORPG. I have no desire to log in to GW2 and I hope that FFXIV will bring some of the FFXI magic back.

The most recent two GC fights were pretty reminiscient of FFXI for me. Im not sure that any current day MMO wants to fully mimic the hardcore nature of FFXI. FFXI itself has even strayed away from that.

Darryl

Banned
Don't see why it would bother anyone, it seems like a cosmetic change.

It's definitely not a cosmetic change, but it's something that needs to be done. I can't even imagine how many gilsellers have mules with maxed out gil. 500 per server? 1000? They've doing an amazing job draining all of the gil out of the economy over the past year, and with the levequest spamming they've added in hundreds of accounts (per server) with maxed out gil that we can't even feel the effect of yet because they're hoarding it to sell in 2.0.

It was going to trash the economy in 2.0. It's still set to be trashed but this has made it so psychologically things will feel less trashed. I spent all of my money on santa outfits because it's the only thing that I think has the possibility of holding it's value in the long term.

Allard

Some rep translating from reinheart on the official forums gave new info on free companies, linkshells, dated recipes and the lack of arrows (as an item) in 2.0.

For those looking for a 'quiver' for situation changes as was originally described when the game was prepping for release, its not coming. There will be no 'arrow' slot of any kind as arrows will just come pre-bundled with the bow you use. So no need for refill action, your quiver will cosmetically always be full etc. They instead went on to say that actions will take over for the changing status of the shots rather then the arrow you use. They didn't specify what all this would entail.

Linkshells are going to be considered just a chat channel in 2.0, and as such will not have many of its features expanded (such as changing leader of the shell if they disappear). However Free Companies, the guilds of the game, will allow such a transfer to happen and they are aiming to minimally have over 100 slots for people to join a company. 4 Players are needed to start a free company.

Dated Recipes will be exorcized from the game in 2.0 and all dated equipment will get the /EX tag making them untradeable and thus unable to enter the market. Further item changes and availability in 2.0 will be given to us in the near future.

Jinko

Dated Recipes will be exorcized from the game in 2.0 and all dated equipment will get the /EX tag making them untradeable and thus unable to enter the market. Further item changes and availability in 2.0 will be given to us in the near future.

Thank fuck, all the dated useless armour/weapons//materials on the marketwards was just cluttering the UI more than necessary, so I'm glad they did this.

I can see linkshells dying out at some point and probably being removed from the game, can't say I would miss it seeing as free companies would take their place.

Ravidrath

I really think all the dated items should just be deleted - the only reason people want to hold onto them is because of some attachment to a color you can't make now.

But in 2.0, they've said they'll have a much more robust dyeing system that will obviate the need to keep those items.

Nakazato

Some rep translating from reinheart on the official forums gave new info on free companies, linkshells, dated recipes and the lack of arrows (as an item) in 2.0.

For those looking for a 'quiver' for situation changes as was originally described when the game was prepping for release, its not coming. There will be no 'arrow' slot of any kind as arrows will just come pre-bundled with the bow you use. So no need for refill action, your quiver will cosmetically always be full etc. They instead went on to say that actions will take over for the changing status of the shots rather then the arrow you use. They didn't specify what all this would entail.

This really has the sound of En- spells coming to Archer/brd or en- songs not sure how I like that idea.

It would be nice to have a passive ability so we can cast 2 buffs.

Allard

This really has the sound of En- spells coming to Archer/brd or en- songs not sure how I like that idea.

It would be nice to have a passive ability so we can cast 2 buffs.

To tell the truth the translation (or the info itself) was kind of messy. Could easily just mean more weaponskill related debuffs and the like. Here is the translation of that segment from Reinheart (as the official reps have yet to post anything on it yet).

Rep: Good evening,
Player: It must be where when you equip the weapon you get unlimited arrows as a set. Don't need skill to refill arrows and bag is going to be lighter so I think it's good.
Rep: Yes, by getting rid of the arrows; bows will now come with unlimited arrows as a set. Therefore you wont need to spend a item slot for arrows or need to buy arrows or refill the quiver with arrows.

Player:Also I'm bit happy I can use barrage without worrying about money. But bit sad at same time that this will not allow stuff like switching to debuff arrows. (Maybe it's coming in a different method?)

Rep: Regarding debuff effects - This will be absorbed through action side and will be changed to where the debuff effect will be attached on actions.

Riposte

I really think all the dated items should just be deleted - the only reason people want to hold onto them is because of some attachment to a color you can't make now.

But in 2.0, they've said they'll have a much more robust dyeing system that will obviate the need to keep those items.

Actually some dated gear is marginally better than normal gear. I find that fascinating lol.

Allard

Actually some dated gear is marginally better than normal gear. I find that fascinating lol.

And some pieces of gear have yet to have an equal introduced (visually). I will hold onto my canvas doublet (blue) for dear life damnit! Furthermore there is still some large level gaps in equipment, they only replaced essentially half of the armor recipes and never went back to finish them. Of course they could finish them in 2.0 along with adding new gear but till I am convinced that is coming I am keeping a hold of my shepard tunic and my canvas doublet.

Jinko

Don't forget the Epeen of having a Tricone +3 or Black Skull Eye Pacth +3 etc.

As far as Archer skills go I m betting they won't change much, right now we currently have shadowbind, bloodletter, leaden arrow etc which debuff, so I imagine that is what they are referring to.

Jijidasu

It would appear that the footage used in that trailer is from the PS3 version. There's no other explanation for the graphic quality drop and frame-rate. Not quite sure what they had hoped to achieve by releasing a trailer like this, but I've learned my lesson questioning the logic of SE before.

Munba

It would appear that the footage used in that trailer is from the PS3 version. There's no other explanation for the graphic quality drop and frame-rate. Not quite sure what they had hoped to achieve by releasing a trailer like this, but I've learned my lesson questioning the logic of SE before.

There are also less details like grass in la noscea. This trailer is a bit a strange move.. it's clear it's from an alpha-laggish. :/

Jijidasu

Even if it were alpha, the footage they've been shown up until now hasn't suffered the same, nor have the graphics been so 'toned down'. You could argue that the frame-rate problem is due to the new areas and perhaps they're not tuned, but even the Gridania/forest areas which we've seen an abundance of up until now suffered from frame issues, especially the one with the Treant, that was the worst by far.

Salaadin

Doesnt sound too good for the new trailer based on what others are saying.
Everything has been so good looking up to this point. I wonder if it is the PS3 version.

Allard

Doesnt sound too good for the new trailer based on what others are saying.
Everything has been so good looking up to this point. I wonder if it is the PS3 version.

It definitely looked like it was probably the PS3 version, textures were a bit worse, draw distance was not nearly as sharp and self-shadowing took a noticeable drop in quality on top of the choppier frame rate (which I 'hope' is either due to lack of full optimization or a product of shoddy video capturing equipment... which wouldn't be a first for this game lol). Having said that if it was the PS3 version, besides the frame rate issues, it looked as good or better then I was expecting a PS3 MMO to look so I suppose that would be a plus.

Also liked the new Final Fantasy theme rendition and despite the drop in texture quality the new Central La Noscea looked pretty good. Besides the windmills though it definitely 'appeared' to have the least changes done to the environment, even compared to Central Thanalan which at least had lots of new vegetation and more robust canyon like environment.

Allard

What is dated gear? Was there a big crafting overhaul?

Around summer of last year they completely overhauled recipes for 6/8 crafting classes and re-itemized the resulting equipment with new levels and stats. The result was that they changed the name of the old equipment to 'Dated', so we have items like "Dated Electrum Ring" or "Dated Cotton Doublet" so there was no confusion with the new items. The old recipes are still useable but most of the items need to actually craft those items is no longer obtainable beyond the old circulation through the market wards. None of the old dyes exist anymore, half the logs were taken out of the game (Cedar, Pine etc.), Cloth got completely revamped it used to be cotton thread ruled the day till wool cloth but now there is 2 distinct tiers between cotton and wool that use different materials. Canvas material is no longer used in recipes, various hides are no longer used in leatherworking. Several ores are no longer in the game (they weren't used much anyways though) and they greatly expanded the higher level tiers where we got cobalt, electrum and revitalized Mythril, Gold and Darksteel.

The old gear for the most part is worse then the new equipment with the changed itemization but when they overhauled the recipe system they didn't completely renovate every recipe and equipment and the result is there is gaps in new vs dated which leads to even a couple pieces of dated equip to still be useful at some levels (I'm looking at you mid 40 range crafting tools...). Plus the recipe overhaul introduced a lot of equipment into the game that had level or class requirements where almost every recipe in the dated section just had 'optimal' or 'favors' so you could wear it on any class and level so even now they have some nice novelty for town gear or even all purpose gear for some class disciplines even if there might be a better overall piece for that class using the new gear. Dated items also can't be tagged with materia, they can only get converted into materia so basically there use is limited currently and likely will be useless outside of town gear in 2.0.

Ravidrath

While that certainly doesn't look as good as the stuff they've shown up until now, I would hardly say it looks bad. I'd actually say it looks a lot better than what I expected from the PS3 version.

The colors look a lot more saturated, which I actually think I prefer in some of those areas?

Jinko

Yea makes no sense, I can understand if they released a trailer specifically as a "PS3" trailer, but downscaling a PC trailer like that makes no sense at all.

They would have been better off showing a PC and PS3 version side by side or something, but its unlikely the PS3 version is at the same stage the PC version is.

The problem with the video isn't really the lack of geometry and textures but the framerate, which is going to leave a lot of people thinking oh my PC won't be able to run this, like the current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom