• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Love how cool the sky now looks. :D

buttonsmeteorqosjw.jpg
God... I am so jealous that all of you have been experiencing this ._.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can you see it from everywhere outside of dungeons? What if you're up on a mountain, is it any closer?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Can you see it from everywhere outside of dungeons? What if you're up on a mountain, is it any closer?

You can see it from pretty much anywhere outside, barring it being blocked by a mountain or wall. The only way it gets closer, alas, is to change the resolution the game's running at.

The seriously need to geet rid of the market wards / retainer system in 2.0 or I am going to dump this game immediately.

Even though it's much improved from what it was at launch, it's still needlessly complex, with an unusable UI, and just beyond saving. There is literally nothing about it that FFXI didn't do better with its Auction House.

I need to buy new gear to actually progress at this point, and I haven't logged in for a few days simply because I don't feel like dealing with that horrid interface to find appropriate upgrades as a buyer. I haven't even tried selling anything besides some crystals just because of the hoops you have to jump through to actually do a price check and sell something.

That's been Final Fantasy's problem though for the past several years, though, I suppose. They ignore established conventions and best practices and try to "innovate", but there's very little logic or reasoning behind any of the decisions they're making besides "being different".

This game has a long ways to go for 2.0 aside from just the market, though. It's 1000x better than what it was at launch, but it's still far away from what FFXI was or pretty much any MMO I'd want to play in the long term.

The seriously need to geet rid of the market wards / retainer system in 2.0 or I am going to dump this game immediately.

Even though it's much improved from what it was at launch, it's still needlessly complex, with an unusable UI, and just beyond saving. There is literally nothing about it that FFXI didn't do better with its Auction House.

I need to buy new gear to actually progress at this point, and I haven't logged in for a few days simply because I don't feel like dealing with that horrid interface to find appropriate upgrades as a buyer. I haven't even tried selling anything besides some crystals just because of the hoops you have to jump through to actually do a price check and sell something.

That's been Final Fantasy's problem though for the past several years, though, I suppose. They ignore established conventions and best practices and try to "innovate", but there's very little logic or reasoning behind any of the decisions they're making besides "being different".

This game has a long ways to go for 2.0 aside from just the market, though. It's 1000x better than what it was at launch, but it's still far away from what FFXI was or pretty much any MMO I'd want to play in the long term.

I agree with everything you said. People have stopped being vocal about it though saying well the wards are basically an AH now anyhow. Well they're not and they're worse and needlessly complex. Get rid of them!

Shouta

Buying items isn't so bad with the mercantile house though the tax needs to go but setting up your own items to sell is quite stupid.

Ravidrath

I dunno, the Content Finder might make things better for pan-regional groups?

They can all go to the same server for everyday stuff, and then also do stuff on their local server with the Content Finder.

Monk's getting changed again according to the live interview, sounds like it's gonna be a straight up DPS monster a la Aion's Assassin now, as opposed to what they called a more "hybrid style" (I'm guessing they meant the magical melee characters).

If I had to guess, MP use on Monks and elemental fists are getting sacked in favor of raw, rattle the ancestors power.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Was hoping to leave other jobs to 2.0, but finding a party is too much of a hassle otherwise. WHM and WAR the number one needed classes?

Jinko

I agree with everything you said. People have stopped being vocal about it though saying well the wards are basically an AH now anyhow. Well they're not and they're worse and needlessly complex. Get rid of them!

Well if its remains shit they will get slated in the alpha.

This time they need to listen to their alpha/beta testers.

Riposte

Content Finder is really necessary, but wasn't it the thing that streamlined WoW into not having any sort of community? Am I confusing it with another feature?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Content Finder is really necessary, but wasn't it the thing that streamlined WoW into not having any sort of community? Am I confusing it with another feature?

It lead to a lot of people just hanging out in the cities and getting teleported directly to the dungeons, yes. I tend to think on the balance it's worth it, but I can see the arguments against- I'm hoping there'll still be a reason to go out into the world proper, though.

Darryl

Banned

I don't know if that was the only thing, but it's definitely a contributing factor. I don't see how it's possible to have a tight community and instant content like this at once. You can shout whatever you want, say whatever you want, and scam whoever you want and there's no way for you to be ostracized. The FFXI community fell apart when Abyssea rendered player relationships almost useless as well - people were openly AFKing in parties and taking advantage of each other.

Teknoman

I don't know what any of this means ._. (Dalamud is the meteor, right?)

Yeah, its just part of the lyrics from the pre-impact final boss battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT10pSw6114

As far as content finder goes...I really hope not. I mean how boring is that...to just get instantly ported into a party for a dungeon? I mean maybe if it streamlines the invite process, but I dont want all interaction to be taken away. They seem to have been on the right path so far, so i'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Jinko

I don't know if that was the only thing, but it's definitely a contributing factor. I don't see how it's possible to have a tight community and instant content like this at once. You can shout whatever you want, say whatever you want, and scam whoever you want and there's no way for you to be ostracized. The FFXI community fell apart when Abyssea rendered player relationships almost useless as well - people were openly AFKing in parties and taking advantage of each other.

WoW wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, like FFXIV its about getting a decent guild and mainly playing within that group of people.

There is always the chance of running into bad apples when getting a random player, I;m sure many people have come across a few of them in Hamlet for example.

Yoshida mentioned you would be required to at least find the entrance of a dungeon prior to being teleported there also, its really not much different than being teleported to an aethryte and running a short distance, plus if the structure is like they have in 1.x you will have a small quest involved with each dungeon.

Yoshichan

Yeah, its just part of the lyrics from the pre-impact final boss battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT10pSw6114

As far as content finder goes...I really hope not. I mean how boring is that...to just get instantly ported into a party for a dungeon? I mean maybe if it streamlines the invite process, but I dont want all interaction to be taken away. They seem to have been on the right path so far, so i'll remain cautiously optimistic.
._. so frikkin' epic... God, I really hope I won't regret not having played pre-impact FFXIV. (Well, I have... but only the launch)

Monk's getting changed again according to the live interview, sounds like it's gonna be a straight up DPS monster a la Aion's Assassin now, as opposed to what they called a more "hybrid style" (I'm guessing they meant the magical melee characters).

If I had to guess, MP use on Monks and elemental fists are getting sacked in favor of raw, rattle the ancestors power.

That made me extremely happy. I really don't like the current Monk implementation and it was one of my favorite jobs in FFXI. I dislike the majority of the FFXIV Monk's move set and dislike how kicks were added via a cooldown ability. I much preferred the FFXI Monk that had kicks automatically added at a certain level and then traits and gear that increase your chance to kick during combat while auto attacking. A lot of the skills had more martial arts flair to them while the current Monk skills feel like a tame extension of the Pugilist's.

I though they were changing the whole system?

A complete auction house was part of the implementation plan for FFXIV 2.0, but in recent interviews Yoshida has only mentioned how they plan on improving the retainer system. I hope they haven't abandoned their plans for an auction house. The backlash from doing so during alpha and beta would probably be enough to change their minds...

Salaadin

Really, if they come up with a capable overlay for the retainer system that makes it easy and quick to buy/list/sell/lookup prices, is there even a need for an actual auction house?
I do think they should ditch Market Wards zone and just keep the Mercantile Houses. Its pointless to have a zone filled with lifeless mules...especially now that people dont even purchase directly from them.

Yoshichan

So if I buy FFXIV right now, I'm done right? I don't have to purchase a new one for 2.0?

Yoshichan

Right. All current owners will just download the 2.0 stuff in a patch when its released.
So I can get it for a lot cheaper if I buy it now then! Why should I not be doing that :lol?

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

! So that's what 2.0 is called!

Thanks for the reminder, I'll get to it asap!

Yoshichan

Good luck finding one. :/
... really ._.? From being able to find like five billion copies for $1.29 to non-existent?

God damn it!

Really, if they come up with a capable overlay for the retainer system that makes it easy and quick to buy/list/sell/lookup prices, is there even a need for an actual auction house?
I do think they should ditch Market Wards zone and just keep the Mercantile Houses. Its pointless to have a zone filled with lifeless mules...especially now that people dont even purchase directly from them.

I'd prefer this as well. Fixing the Retainer system is far more preferable imo than sticking XI's auction house back in.

Allard

I'd prefer this as well. Fixing the Retainer system is far more preferable imo than sticking XI's auction house back in.

I think that is precisely what they are doing because all signs point to retainers being the medium in which you sell things in 2.0. You will just get a lot more tools and quality of life improvements like consolidated AH, hopefully no more wards system (just send your retainer to the AH instead of sending it to a specific zone), and UI prompt that says if something was sold. They also mentioned how retainer was going to have more then AH functions as its going to 'level up'. That is the limit of what we know of the retainer/market overhaul, that and possibly making it possible to search/buy/sell items on the market through a phone app.

Forum post by Yoshi-P was translated (Gil decreases, gil cap reduction, Archers wont need to buy arrows, etc.):

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...JP-to-English)?p=831427&viewfull=1#post831427

I kind of got the impression there wouldn't be arrows after watching the live presentation but I guess that would almost be considered confirmation. Not sure how I feel about the arrow change but I am down for the gil reduction (even if its mostly cosmetic). Almost since the game went live we have had horrific gil inflation due the leves, in fact the leves used to be so much worse then they are right now. And with Atomos seal spamming the market (Dawn Drops) the economy is going to turn upside down in 2.0 if there isn't some mechanism to return the field to normalcy, its actually one of the biggest reasons I am contemplating starting a new character on a 'fresh' server (even if just as a side project). I feel the lack of a proper monetary policy in controlling the economy has been hurting the game from the start. The price of items is just so overwhelming with no sense of worth.

Coldsnap

I think that is precisely what they are doing because all signs point to retainers being the medium in which you sell things in 2.0. You will just get a lot more tools and quality of life improvements like consolidated AH, hopefully no more wards system (just send your retainer to the AH instead of sending it to a specific zone), and UI prompt that says if something was sold. They also mentioned how retainer was going to have more then AH functions as its going to 'level up'. That is the limit of what we know of the retainer/market overhaul, that and possibly making it possible to search/buy/sell items on the market through a phone app.

I kind of got the impression there wouldn't be arrows after watching the live presentation but I guess that would almost be considered confirmation. Not sure how I feel about the arrow change but I am down for the gil reduction (even if its mostly cosmetic). Almost since the game went live we have had horrific gil inflation due the leves, in fact the leves used to be so much worse then they are right now. And with Atomos seal spamming the market (Dawn Drops) the economy is going to turn upside down in 2.0 if there isn't some mechanism to return the field to normalcy, its actually one of the biggest reasons I am contemplating starting a new character on a 'fresh' server (even if just as a side project). I feel the lack of a proper monetary policy in controlling the economy has been hurting the game from the start. The price of items is just so overwhelming with no sense of worth.

Yea I agree. I enjoyed the economy of XI a lot, XIV is just fucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom