• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dineren said:
Two days in and I'm still quite confused. The quest system in particular seems pretty strange to me. The story line I was following just kind of dropped off seemingly in the middle unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible).
Some of them do just drop off - Gridania, for example, makes a big deal about hurrying up and doing a ritual to cleanse you...and then just kinda stops, I guess to wait until they can do the ritual.

Sallokin

WMFOV.jpg

Let me in

Cmagus said:
I think you can only unequip if you have something else to equip
No, just go to your equipment, position the cursor on the item that's already equipped (i.e. head slot) and select. There will be an "Unequip" option.

Gravijah

Let me in said:
No, just go to your equipment, position the cursor on the item that's already equipped (i.e. head slot) and select. There will be an "Unequip" option.

Creepy... the movie with the same name as your username just had a commercial on TV.

FFXIV_1285211196.jpg

Seems like NOBODY is in Gridania. I need to figure out how to get to other cities. Can I get Leve's in other cities?

PHYS: 10
MAR: 7
PUG: 3
BSM: 7
ARM: 5
MIN: 6

GOODNIGHT ALL!

Let me in

demosthenes said:
Seems like NOBODY is in Gridania. I need to figure out how to get to other cities. Can I get Leve's in other cities?

GOODNIGHT ALL!
I started there, I think I like it the most. I went south to Ul'dah for a little bit. Yes, you can get leves in each city, hence why everyone is going from city to city.

So just walk south from Camp Tranquil to Thanalan (Ul'dah) and from there you can go west to Limsa.

Sallokin

Kirashi said:
how the fuck you guys play this
the lag is worse than open beta and i am on a not so popular server.

I'm on Lindblum and aside from when I first logged in, there has been zero lag for me.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Okay, me and my girlfriend have squirreled away some moolah, plus have come into a bit of extra money and we are going to upgrade/build 2 computers. These computers will probably be able to play FFXIV on medium-high settings.

The question now is, should I get FFXIV? I asked this a whiiile back but no one answered me -

With those who've experienced the 8 hour a week limitation, how does it feel? I wont have a lot of free time myself, I would probably have 15-20 hours max a week to play, and I probably SHOULDN'T play more than that - does this make this system ideal for my situation?

Is there any talk about end-game? How difficult is it finding a party? I remember FFXI at launch, and it was no problem finding a party for the first few months from level 1-20, but past that and a year after launch... basically what I am saying is

A) is the game more encouraging for a party system and
B) I've heard soloing has been taken into consideration when the game was developing, does it show?

I don't know if I am trying to be convinced or not - I guess I just want some honesty.

Gravijah

Yuripaw said:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/Ockman/ffxivgame2010-09-2400-32-33-13.jpg[IMG]

I just started playing tonight. Picked up my copy earlier today. I'm on Lindblum as well.[/QUOTE]

YES A MITHRA (WHATEVER THEY ARE NOW)

you win the game.

Click

Banned
Anyone have any impressions / reviews so far?
I used to be a hardcore FFXI player for almost 3 years but that was ages ago.
How is this game so far? As fun and addictive as 11 was at launch...?

somesang

Damn, I've been stuck in a mine digging my way out. I gotta pick this up like I planned. What'd I miss? How was the transition from beta?

Jonnyram

Click said:
Anyone have any impressions / reviews so far?
I used to be a hardcore FFXI player for almost 3 years but that was ages ago.
How is this game so far? As fun and addictive as 11 was at launch...?
I loved the early days of FFXI.

Notable things for me:
1. Soloing is now significantly easier and the game has a lot faster pacing off the bat.
e.g. the new aetheryte/warp point system, and you don't lose exp for dying.

2. There seems to be a lot more vertical variation in maps. Granted, I'm only saying this from Ul'dah perpective, but the field right next to the city is hella rugged and full of interesting features.

3. Probably because people are more experienced with MMOs these days, but there are shitloads of people doing synthesis work, compared to a typical old launch of an MMO. It makes things seem a bit crowded in the city/camp spots.

It's still way addictive though. I think you'll love it.

Ravidrath

Bleh, I keep rerolling my character... I haven't been happy with the appearances of mine. There's always... something.

I'd really like to make a Highland Hyur, but they're so damned ugly. Maybe if I just wear a hat all the time, it won't matter how terrible my hair is.

I need to find someone on Mysidia to hold my gear and stuff for me, though, if I reroll again... anyone here on Mysidia?

Jonnyram

Ravidrath said:
Bleh, I keep rerolling my character... I haven't been happy with the appearances of mine. There's always... something.

I'd really like to make a Highland Hyur, but they're so damned ugly. Maybe if I just wear a hat all the time, it won't matter how terrible my hair is.

I need to find someone on Mysidia to hold my gear and stuff for me, though, if I reroll again... anyone here on Mysidia?
Are you able to get on Mysidia OK?
The latest report on the Loadstone (sorry, had to do it), is that Mysidia is closed to new population due to overcrowding.

Ravidrath

Jonnyram said:
Are you able to get on Mysidia OK?
The latest report on the Loadstone (sorry, had to do it), is that Mysidia is closed to new population due to overcrowding.

Latest I show on Lodestone says they're pleased to announce they're back up.

Tabris

My concern with playing this game is I'm coming from FFXI and I just can't make the time required for that game anymore. Is FFXIV more forgiving? Can I solo things for an hour here and there then only party on the weekend? (note I wouldn't change that aspect of FFXI. If you got the time it's a great experience, I like the hardcore partying element in the game, just don't have time for it anymore)

Also do you need to compete for a lot less from FFXI? i.e. not many notorious monsters, more instances?

Second day was a much smoother experience than the first, less of the "target already engaged" nonsense although it was still present in very crowded areas. The crowding has definitely lessened though as people are spreading out into higher level areas.

Click pics for full size

My character

An in battle shot, its great wiping out a whole group of those things with an AoE :lol

Kuraine

Neo Member
cobbi_lookinserious.jpg

For some reason my eyes show up darker in cutscenes. They're usually bright orange.

Takin' it pretty slow, just at 8 Pugilist and 5 Botanist so far. Enjoying the Ul'dah storyline a lot :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom