• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played for many hours today, got to Phys 10/Conjurer 10. I absolutely love this game. It's a distinctly different feeling than the early days of ff11 were, but I like it a lot. This is very much its own game doing its own thing, and I'm extremely interested in seeing where they take it.

One thing: being able to teleport all over the world on my very first day of playing is just crazy to me. As much as I am an advocate of exploration, I think I like the ease of transportation in this game.

Teknoman

161m5ua.jpg

x4hj6x.jpg

33w5v04.jpg

2zxxb38.jpg

2vajtyv.jpg

2qb518i.jpg

10p3k05.jpg

2554cpd.jpg

By the way, if you're an armorer, make these:

http://www.ffxivcore.com/wiki/Bronze_Hoplon

dgmr1v.jpg

Nice early rank shield. That and the bronze mitt gauntlets.

Ravidrath

Hey, could someone do me a huge favor?

Would someone mind making a second character on Mysidia/Gridania so they could hold all my stuff while I start a new guy?

Already got the template made, so just need to give you my stuff, delete the character, and remake him with the new template.

Additional character slots are free during the 30 day trial period, so you just need to add one and remove it when we're done.

As payment, I'll make a character on your world and do the first mission of your nation, and give you all the reward money.

Pietepiet

Me and Kiryogi went on a trek to a lot of camps to get some Aetheryte spots, and I took screens along the way. This one is definitely my favourite:

chillin.jpg

Feep

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game thus far...instanced ENEMIES, as opposed to instanced areas, is a great way to prevent mob competition while still maintaining the feel of an MMO.

Overblown problems:

Leve cooldown - Not only has it been reduced, but once you can freely teleport to the three cities, you expand the amount you can do in that period.

Surplus/fatigue - Who the fuck has even hit this?

Mouse - obviously fixed, with hardware.

Underblown problems:

Menu lag - still unacceptable. Every discipline is suffering, but having to wait three seconds after EVERY button press makes crafting/gathering fairly frustrating to deal with.

Auction House - Jesus fucking Christ. We're supposed to walk around a "Ward" with three hundred random asshole NPCs in the vague hope we're to find what we need? Holy shit. If Square-Enix doesn't make either an AH or a comprehensive bazaar search system soon, this game is going to lose subscribers by the droves.

Coding: I have a super baller GFX card, and my performance still sucks. Boooo, framerate!

Jinko

Darkness said:
Graphics are pretty, digging so far. The UI feels like it's from 1990 though. Why do I have to sift through tons of menus to do simple things? I was trying to scroll around the map, but I can't do that. I have to sift through a bunch of menus. :lol

Use IJKL, or ... uhh read the manual :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dumb question, but what are you guys using for screen shots? I'd like to take some tomorrow after work.

Ravidrath

Kintaro said:
Dumb question, but what are you guys using for screen shots? I'd like to take some tomorrow after work.

Judging from the copyright on the bottom of the screen, the utility built into the game.

Awntawn

Any leatherworkers been able to make dodo leather? Databases have it listed as an 11 craft; I can make straps FROM dodo leather (apparently also a rank 11 craft) with ease at rank 10, but trying to make the leather itself is not even close ;/

Jinko

Awntawn said:
Any leatherworkers been able to make dodo leather? Databases have it listed as an 11 craft; I can make straps FROM dodo leather (apparently also a rank 11 craft) with ease at rank 10, but trying to make the leather itself is not even close ;/

Yup to make leather you have to be 5 ranks higher than you do to use it, some stupid logic there, how is that going to work later on :S

Is there any crafting databases that list all recipes? The one on lodestone isn't close to all that's available for those levels.

http://ffxiv.yg.com/
http://db.ffxivarchives.com/

Gopsje

Jinko said:
Yup to make leather you have to be 5 ranks higher than you do to use it, some stupid logic there, how is that going to work later on :S

Well the silly logic is that you sell your dodo fur stuff to others... they make leather and sell it back to you... you make more stuff....

It's stupid logic but I guess it gets to more trading/selling/etc

Jonnyram

Gopsje said:
It's stupid logic but I guess it gets to more trading/selling/etc
That's not really stupid logic. The people who control the flow of materials control the market, so it's fair that it should require a higher level, in that respect.

danmaku

Jinko said:
Scroll Lock + Print Screen.

Holy shit I just realized that my keyboard doesn't have the scroll lock button. Damn Logitech! :lol

Anyway, I ordered the CE. Quick question: is there any reason to choose one server over another, besides friends? I'm pretty paranoid about lag problems.

Balya

QisTopTier said:
enjoying the game so damn much :D Think Ill start working on mining soon for my goldsmithing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/jordanhell/FFXIV_1285312067.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Whoa, my guy looks almost exactly like that except his skin is darker. :lol

Mandoric

Banned
Jonnyram said:
That's not really stupid logic. The people who control the flow of materials control the market, so it's fair that it should require a higher level, in that respect.

It's kinda silly, from a design perspective, in that there are recipes only useful for second-generation crafters. As long as there's alternatives and it's not an FFXI-smithing-style "you're gonna grind it ANYWAY" model, I don't mind, though.

Edit: Lag problems are going to be universal now, and in the future unpredictably related to server populations. Just go with who you know.
Most of the lag in game now is due to excessive polling of whjat other players are doing anyway, so by avoiding crowded areas it'll improve.

Jonnyram

danmaku said:
Holy shit I just realized that my keyboard doesn't have the scroll lock button. Damn Logitech! :lol
I don't have it either as I'm on an Apple! I'm gonna have to look for some remap options.

Anyway, I ordered the CE. Quick question: is there any reason to choose one server over another, besides friends? I'm pretty paranoid about lag problems.
Empty servers might work better for performance, if you are worried about lag.

Awntawn

Jinko said:
Actually I think the logic for a lot of things is that you're not supposed to make them the first time around. Seems to be in general the stuff that sells on NPC vendors. It's like how the rank 10ish weapons all require rank 20 crafts to make; on your first trip you're supposed to buy it for a shitloat off the NPCs. Then when you're levelling your next job, you get stuff cheaper from crafting. I ended up just buying myself a Bronze Labrys for 43k off the LL weapon vendor after spending all that time experimenting in OB on how to make one so that I would be prepared for retail :lol

Oh is there any place with info on which tool you should use for which synth? I always feel like I'm using the wrong tool, and I often forget what I used and thus wasting trial and error attempts :x

Canti

Good to hear you got things sorted Londa. Thanks everyone for welcoming me back to the LS earlier. I'm sure if there was an option to increase the number of on-screen models it would but been higher, but...

KOdVb.jpg

:lol

BooJoh

I've been searching various XIV and S-E sites and have come to the conclusion that if a friend gives me a buddy pass and I can't borrow their disc to install then I simply can't play the trial.
What's up with that? They had a downloadable beta client, why not offer a digital retail client?

Londa

Banned
Munba said:
I missed your problem yesterday Londa but glad you resolved.

My problem was I found this to be the reason why I couldn't pay for the game's monthly fee:

Guatemala by Londaluu, on Flickr

SE had my Country as Guatemala, they have restrictions on how they can pay for their monthly fee and also, I was concerned about not being able to register expansions or be excluded from certain services because I'm marked as Guatemala and not United States.

So I sent a request for a chat session with someone from help and support. This was the out come:

seissues by Londaluu, on Flickr

Nothing got resolved from the chat session, so I called help and support. I again received no help and was suggested to talk with Click and Pay to help me. While I was talking, the support man, hung up on me.

So I was reading Gaf and someone suggested to use the Free TRIAL (lol) code. I made a new ID and put in the free trail code and it worked perfectly. Now I can play, but I leave behind my other SE service ID, My SE members account, my helmet code, and my Beta Tester account because they were all linked to my Old SE service account. But I will start anew.

With my old SE service account I requested for it to be restarted, but it only just gives me a new FFXIV game code.

rules by Londaluu, on Flickr

So I'll just give it to someone that I know, that would like to play the game and needs a code.

BooJoh said:
I've been searching various XIV and S-E sites and have come to the conclusion that if a friend gives me a buddy pass and I can't borrow their disc to install then I simply can't play the trial.
What's up with that? They had a downloadable beta client, why not offer a digital retail client?

Its because you need what is on the disk. If you can find on a website somewhere what is on the disk and the client for download, you do not need your friends disk. Just make sure to download the game, the client, and the patches, and have a SE service ID and you should be fine, and able to input your free trial code.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So is there a trick to getting the Asuran Armband? I entered the code and it shows up in my account.

I created my character before I entered it, do I just need to re-make my character?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Does anyone know how to change the client language?

I had it installed as Japanese, with my Japanese registration code and Square Enix ID, but now the client is running fully in English. Button/graphical settings in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Config no longer do anything, either. This is not cool.

Maybe I'll just reinstall...

DrForester said:
So is there a trick to getting the Asuran Armband? I entered the code and it shows up in my account.

I created my character before I entered it, do I just need to re-make my character?

Yes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Aokage said:

I had it installed as Japanese, with my Japanese registration code and Square Enix ID, but now the client is running fully in English. Button/graphical settings in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Config no longer do anything, either. This is not cool.

Yes.

Good thing I only played for about 90 minutes total so far. Thanks :D

BooJoh

Aokage said:

Yes.
I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue but when I was scouring the support site I ran across this bit: "* The language setting of the operating system will be used to determine the default language setting for the release version of FINAL FANTASY XIV. "

Jinko

Aokage said:

Yes.

They said that the client installs the language that is set in the operating system, so if a reinstall doesn't work, try changing the region and language before installing.

danmaku

Mandoric said:
Edit: Lag problems are going to be universal now, and in the future unpredictably related to server populations. Just go with who you know.
Most of the lag in game now is due to excessive polling of whjat other players are doing anyway, so by avoiding crowded areas it'll improve.

Jonnyram said:
I don't have it either as I'm on an Apple! I'm gonna have to look for some remap options.

Empty servers might work better for performance, if you are worried about lag.

Thanks! Guess I'll go for Lindblum then, if GAF hasn't filled it already :lol

asdad123

Whatre the lowest specs you guys are playing at? I really want to play this game, but it played like crap on the beta on my computer.

I only have a laptop and my specs are:

I5 450m 2.4ghz Turbo Boost to 2.66
ATI 5650
4gb memory

I like this controller :O

10x0924iub4wterdsfjjh.jpg

Jonnyram said:
I loved the early days of FFXI.

Notable things for me:
1. Soloing is now significantly easier and the game has a lot faster pacing off the bat.
e.g. the new aetheryte/warp point system, and you don't lose exp for dying.

2. There seems to be a lot more vertical variation in maps. Granted, I'm only saying this from Ul'dah perpective, but the field right next to the city is hella rugged and full of interesting features.

3. Probably because people are more experienced with MMOs these days, but there are shitloads of people doing synthesis work, compared to a typical old launch of an MMO. It makes things seem a bit crowded in the city/camp spots.

It's still way addictive though. I think you'll love it.

This is how the game is built I think more than anything. The armory system in just changing a weapon but also crafting especially early on really helps you move up in the physical levels.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
asdad123 said:
Whatre the lowest specs you guys are playing at? I really want to play this game, but it played like crap on the beta on my computer.

I only have a laptop and my specs are:

I5 450m 2.4ghz Turbo Boost to 2.66
ATI 5650
4gb memory

Pentium Dual Core 1.8ghz (6300 model?)
2gb RAM
8800GT (512mb?)
Win XP

Everything in my PC is 4 years old minus the video card and I can run the game at a high res with high textures. Turned down AA though. I thought my PC would explode, but it's running quite nice and looks very pretty.

Kyoufu

Darkness said:
Pentium Dual Core 1.8ghz (6300 model?)
2gb RAM
8800GT (512mb?)
Win XP

Everything in my PC is 4 years old minus the video card and I can run the game at a high res with high textures. Turned down AA though. I thought my PC would explode, but it's running quite nice and looks very pretty.

How is that possible? lol

None of my friends with dual cores and 8800s have been able to run it in lowest settings. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom