• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
elohel said:
quick impressions

how is this game in comparison to 11?

is the collectors worth getting?

The hat in the collector's is funny looking but makes weakness literally nothing. And you get a giant box. You could wait 6 days and save $25.

It's really hard to talk about a comparison to 11...it's been out for just a few days but it's definitely a lot more solo friendly. You can log on, get some crafting done, get some mining done or go get some xp on a leve.

The leves allow you to craft for free to skill up as does the mining, etc.

If you like MMOs and don't need a completely easy ride I think you'll like it.

Londa

Banned
asdad123 said:
Whatre the lowest specs you guys are playing at? I really want to play this game, but it played like crap on the beta on my computer.

I only have a laptop and my specs are:

I5 450m 2.4ghz Turbo Boost to 2.66
ATI 5650
4gb memory

I like this controller :O

10x0924iub4wterdsfjjh.jpg

WHOA I need this!

BTW, I'm using a laptop and I think your specs are higher than mine, actually they are higher. look at my screen shot. If the way the game looks in my screenshot if fine for you, then you are set because it will look better than that.

Zomba13

If there's a sack holder in Gridania on at the moment I'd like a pearl if it's not too much hassle. I'm by Maisenta by the archer guild. I've been playing Halo Reach and doing the achievements and ranking up the past few days so not been on FFXIV much >.<

Salaadin

How do you get guild marks to buy the different training things like Smelting and Chainweaving? Also, once you buy them, are they yours for good or is it some kind of temporary one time use item?

Londa

Banned
Salaadin said:
How do you get guild marks to buy the different training things like Smelting and Chainweaving? Also, once you buy them, are they yours for good or is it some kind of temporary one time use item?

I think after you get a certain rank in crafting you will get leves that give you guild marks. But i'm only guessing ^^;

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Thanks for the ideas re: language change, folks. I reinstalled it and it's back to Japanese...we'll see if it changes on its own again!

Didn't Sage Sundi say something about being able to freely change the language of the client a while ago? It would be a snap to implement, as it's clear all the different language files are installed with the client...

Aokage said:
Thanks for the ideas re: language change, folks. I reinstalled it and it's back to Japanese...we'll see if it changes on its own again!

Didn't Sage Sundi say something about being able to freely change the language of the client a while ago? It would be a snap to implement, as it's clear all the different language files are installed with the client...

This is SE we're talking about :lol

Pietepiet

Salaadin

Aokage said:

Doesnt the ffxivconfig have different language options? I know mine was defaulted to JP. Maybe if you change the config language, it changes the game language as well.

Bento

Anyone online to supply me with a Linkpearl? I can meet up in any city : P

Does anyone have a name of someone I can otherwise contact for a Pearl?

Oh well, name is Baflear Rosenburg on the Lindblum server if any Pearl holder wants to send me a tell :)

Cathcart

Good times partying up with GAF last night. Damn spiders :lol

Taka more than tripled her money, so that was pretty sweet. Now it's back to crafty time. Hopefully I'll be making shields by the end of the weekend, just in time for everyone to have bought theirs from the NPC anyway :D

Pietepiet said:
Yeah :) Glad you like. I've had a bunch of requests for characters already. If you post a screenshot of your character (full body) I can do one for you as well.

Put you in queue :) It'll be a while, there's about five people in front of you, haha

Thanks!

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Who can make:

Elm Axe Haft
Buffalo Leather Strap (Black)
Fish Glue

?

So I know who to call when I start trying for Spiked Bronze Labrys.

Salaadin said:

I'd also like to know this. Based on the Lodestone ( http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/recipe.html?classId=C&rankId=3 ), I believe you keep them though. It has 'training' and 'skills'. Sounds like stuff you get by level or keep.

Really enjoying this game so far. Didn't bother with the open beta, but this launch seems fairly smooth. I think I've only crashed once and disconnected from the server only one other time so far. Only real annoying thing is the target already engaged lag/bug, but I'm sure they'll get that straightened out.

pix

Does anyone by chance have an extra buddy pass they won't be using? Beta was great, ran perfectly for me, and I love the game but I can't afford it till next month probably. I would be grateful, since it is the weekend. PM me if you have a kind soul :) <3

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
I'd also like to know this. Based on the Lodestone ( http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/recipe.html?classId=C&rankId=3 ), I believe you keep them though. It has 'training' and 'skills'. Sounds like stuff you get by level or keep.

Yeah. I was just hoping they werent some scrolls like Instant Reraise or something that only lasts a while before you need to re-buy.

demosthenes said:
Doesn't look like anyone knows about the guild marks for crafting yet after a short search around the internet :(

Im wondering if its after you do leves or something for that craft. Maybe the skill rating they give you for that leve becomes guild marks? I dont know. I didnt check after doing any leves.

Amneisac

Someone said in the LS chat last night that you start getting the guild marks for the higher level leves, around rank 20. That is annoying because I am already getting local leves that I can't pass without specialized training!

Salaadin

Found this:

[ Guilds ]
-Not all guilds are found in each city-state.
-Class Quests can be performed by joining guilds and fulfilling certain prerequisites.
-Class quests will not only earn players rewards, but through their stories, players can also learn more about each individual city-state.
-In addition to regular rewards, completing these quests will earn players guild marks which can be used to purchase special items from that guild.
-More items will be made available for exchange in the near future.

Amneisac said:
Someone said in the LS chat last night that you start getting the guild marks for the higher level leves, around rank 20. That is annoying because I am already getting local leves that I can't pass without specialized training!

I had a local leve that said I needed Chainweaving but I attempted it without and passed. I have the armbands and I used guild support as well.

Salaadin said:
Found this:

[ Guilds ]
-Not all guilds are found in each city-state.
-Class Quests can be performed by joining guilds and fulfilling certain prerequisites.
-Class quests will not only earn players rewards, but through their stories, players can also learn more about each individual city-state.
-In addition to regular rewards, completing these quests will earn players guild marks which can be used to purchase special items from that guild.
-More items will be made available for exchange in the near future.

I had a local leve that said I needed Chainweaving but I attempted it without and passed. I have the armbands and I used guild support as well.

Ugh. Why did I start in Gridania? :lol

I'm a Marauder and Blacksmith, neither guild is in my city state. If I go to the other cities and 'register' w/ the crystal, I can teleport back and forth?

Amneisac

demosthenes said:
Ugh. Why did I start in Gridania? :lol

I'm a Marauder and Blacksmith, neither guild is in my city state. If I go to the other cities and 'register' w/ the crystal, I can teleport back and forth?

Yep, I think it's 6 anima a pop for the teleports.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
So is what I said correct? I've never visited another city, or teleported really. If so, doesn't sound that hard.

Yeah, Limsa will be your goto city. Just go there and grab the crystal. Once you do that, you can teleport there any time at the cost of 6 anima. Just choose "teleport" from the menu.

Im also in Gridania and my guilds are in Ul Dah (GLD) and Limsa (MRD, BSM, ARM). It sucks

Cathcart

I'm in Gridania, but mostly because I wanted to do Carpentry, Leatherworking, Archery, Lancer and Botany. Pretty convenient :D

But yeah, the starting city really just determines the story you get from the quests. Once you've visited all three cities (which you can pretty much do at level 1) it's all the same.

Amneisac

Any Aetheryte you 'talk to' gets added to your teleport list. They're sorted by region, so you just choose a region from the 'teleport menu' and it will show all your Aetherytes in that region. I think the cost of the teleport increases with the distance traveled. I went around to the three cities and it was super easy, no aggroing mobs or anything. Worst part was waiting on the ferry and the long ferry ride to LL.

From Grid: go south to the next zone, then west to Ul'Dah, then continue west to LL

Amneisac said:
Any Aetheryte you 'talk to' gets added to your teleport list. They're sorted by region, so you just choose a region from the 'teleport menu' and it will show all your Aetherytes in that region. I think the cost of the teleport increases with the distance traveled. I went around to the three cities and it was super easy, no aggroing mobs or anything. Worst part was waiting on the ferry and the long ferry ride to LL.

From Grid: go south to the next zone, then west to Ul'Dah, then continue west to LL

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do that tonight hopefully! Wow the cities are really close together, makes me think more and more that this is very similar to the Greek city-states and the eventual invasion from the Macedonians (Garlen) :lol

Bento

Amneisac said:

Pfff! Bring along a Fishing Rod and problem solved! :D

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Are they still around? I used to love performing SATA in FFXI and I was wondering if you could s combine moves with macros.

Also, now that the game has launched, is there news on the development of the PS3 version?

UltimaKilo said:
Are they still around? I used to love performing SATA in FFXI and I was wondering if you could s combine moves with macros.

Also, now that the game has launched, is there news on the development of the PS3 version?

No public news. I would guess Beta announcement @ the SE event @ 01/11/2011 though. Really they just need to tone the game down for the PS3, hopefully it won't take too long.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Jonnyram said:
Hope they fix the random directx crashing soon :(

I hope they fix..

That target is already engaged.

Emenis said:
I hope they fix..

Yea, this more than anything.

Luckily, it hasn't killed me but I've almost died from it twice now.

demonkaze

Emenis said:
I hope they fix..

I get this all the time in large parties to the point where I stand there not able to attack anything.

Also as an archer, for some reason, in a party I never get any skill points at all despite doing a lot of damage etc.

Decay24

Neo Member
I think I've crashed randomly twice since it's been released. First time was leaving Gridania for the first time. Don't remember the second time D:

It does run smoothly. I'm very happy at the performance.

Jonnyram

Well the directx crash happens for me whenever anything pops up in Windows, e.g. if I plug something in USB or any pop-up from other apps.

DrDogg

I haven't had the chance to play much, but what little I've played I have enjoyed a lot more than the beta. People are hungry to buy things though. I put up two armor pieces in my bazaar the other day and both were gone in less than 5 minutes, one right after I put it in there.

I should be done with my work projects this weekend, then I'll have all of my crafting jobs in high gear. I expect to have all of my classes up to rank 20 before Wednesday. If you need me to craft anything, I'll be compiling a list Sun/Mon, so hit me up online: Doctor Dogg.

Thus far, I'll be making shields (hopefully the higher rank ones) and weapons (axe and polearm for now, plus new weapons for my CON and THA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom