• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

Remember in the welcome back campaign they gave us a link for the retail download? I want to install FFXIV on another computer but I never had the discs.. also damn I just realized how effective that welcome back campaign was... got me playing again

Salaadin

Yea makes no sense, I can understand if they released a trailer specifically as a "PS3" trailer, but downscaling a PC trailer like that makes no sense at all.

My only thought there is that they wanted to talk/show off the PS3 version but the actual PS3 version isnt ready yet so they pared down the PC version to PS3 spec. Still, it makes no sense. Why wouldnt SE tell eorzeapedia this?

I wonder if theyll come out and clarify now. Theres a lot of people questioning them now and they cant really afford this so close to re-launch.
Theres gotta be something though. That live letter last week showed a crisp, clean, smooth game while the TGS trailer shows just the opposite.

Remember in the welcome back campaign they gave us a link for the retail download? I want to install FFXIV on another computer but I never had the discs.. also damn I just realized how effective that welcome back campaign was... got me playing again

Legacy is what got me back into it. All the perks and discounts were too good to pass up.
Ive been steadily playing since May because of it.

Allard

Dunno anymore lol ..gamewatch wrote it's ps3 version and 4gamer changed in "pc" now.. <,<

Edit: ok now... Also novacrystallis says it's ps3:
http://www.novacrystallis.com/?p=3545

And since corrected it to PC too lol. Hopefully we get an interview with Yoshida from one of the Japanese publications and they ask about the trailer so we can put this trailer's 'use' to rest.

Edit: Hotfix for todays maintenance was detailed by Yoshida this morning. Looks like a balanced nerf where it doesn't destroy the nature of the event but keeps gil from absolutely destroying the economy further.

Development side have been observing the data on amount of gil going out (to players) (along with amount of company seal traded items gil being restored) but even now the the current situation of amount of gil/company seals going out is much higher than expected.
For that reason we will once again make adjustments and have a maintenance tomorrow morning to apply a HOT FIX. The main reason for HOT FIX are the following:

Adjustment to company seal traded item's store selling value > adjustment to amount of gil going out.
Adjustment to judgment on how frequent Atomos appears > by controlling the pop cycle adjust amount of company seals obtained at one time.
Removal of monsters around Atomos in low level areas > Adjustment to connection to low level

We decided to make adjustments to overall balance and not touching the Atomos's reward. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing to the players.

Gives me a sigh of relief, didn't play last night and I got 24k seals worth of crystals to turn in, was afraid they were going to reduce the seal reward or get rid of the event all together before I could turn them in.

Salaadin

And since corrected it to PC too lol. Hopefully we get an interview with Yoshida from one of the Japanese publications and they ask about the trailer so we can put this trailer's 'use' to rest.

Edit: Hotfix for todays maintenance was detailed by Yoshida this morning. Looks like a balanced nerf where it doesn't destroy the nature of the event but keeps gil from absolutely destroying the economy further.

Gives me a sigh of relief, didn't play last night and I got 24k seals worth of crystals to turn in, was afraid they were going to reduce the seal reward or get rid of the event all together before I could turn them in.

Lol, I hear ya there.

I actually logged out last night with 12k seals worth of crystals on me and I was laying in bed ready to fall asleep when I remembered. I promptly got back up, logged in to trade them, and then left again because I was worried about them doing the same thing :p

I didnt take advantage of dawn drops because I was too focused on getting ARM to 50. Figures the day after I hit 50, they tweak it. Oh well. Ill make gil another way.

Allard

We have an official response from Yoshida on TGS and the trailer that was released.

Producer/Director Yoshida here,

The material is older than the Producer Letter Live and lighting is not complete, and in parts some are being adjusted still and this goes for hair, neck physics and facial.

Up to this part we already had in mind due to the timing we gathered these materials. But the frame drop in the movie was not something planned so currently we are investigating. Today (or more like yesterday) I went to TGS stage and checked but from the one shown on stage there is no issue so it's most likely encoding error.

I really apologize for this basic miss but once the issue is confirmed we will update you.

That is a really odd PR mistake. I could see encoding error but why release an older trailer after releasing one that is clearly based on the new version? (limit break trailer) It seems to me they basically felt obligated to make something new for TGS and just scrounged up various material and made a new trailer and didn't have enough time to go through the standard QA process and we are left with the youtube encoding we got. Be nice to see a fixed version of it later when it officially hits the main website but they need to label it properly that it was an older version of the game or people are going to think that something went wrong in development and the stuff we saw before was just smoke and mirrors. Having said that it does make sense after watching it again, the facial animation and general 'look' of character models was significantly worse then the previous ones, especially the hair and how stiff the heads looked when they turned.

Mature

I knew we would be getting something from Yoshida. This is like the antithesis of what he wants people to see.

I apologize for such a rudimentary mistake, but once we figure out what caused it, we'll be sure to let you know.
Someone's getting yelled at.

Munba

That is a really odd PR mistake. I could see encoding error but why release an older trailer after releasing one that is clearly based on the new version? (limit break trailer) It seems to me they basically felt obligated to make something new for TGS and just scrounged up various material and made a new trailer and didn't have enough time to go through the standard QA process and we are left with the youtube encoding we got. Be nice to see a fixed version of it later when it officially hits the main website but they need to label it properly that it was an older version of the game or people are going to think that something went wrong in development and the stuff we saw before was just smoke and mirrors. Having said that it does make sense after watching it again, the facial animation and general 'look' of character models was significantly worse then the previous ones, especially the hair and how stiff the heads looked when they turned.

The odd thing is they could record quickly some footage of the actual game (we saw at 25th years) with fraps and make a better video than this one lol. SE misteries..

Allard

The odd thing is they could record quickly some footage of the actual game (we saw at 25th years) with fraps and make a better video than this one lol. SE misteries..

I'm guessing the PR team and the producer are not 'exactly' on the same wavelength. They created a predominantly FMV first trailer and Yoshida decided not to show it at E3. Since then we have had 2 different trailers (1 personally orchestrated by Yoshida) and 3 gaming conventions plus the live letter right before TGS. My guess is he would have liked to just show the limit break trailer at TGS but someone high up stairs told the PR team (separate from Yoshida) they needed to make something new for TGS since they had like nothing else new on the show floor. They took bits and pieces from older builds they already had been given from Yoshida, used the Final Fantasy rendition and went with it. I don't think the pushback for the trailer would have been 'that' bad even though it was an older build if not for the horrific encoding issue we saw online which basically made all the differences extremely noticeable. I'm interested in seeing what the properly encoded version looks like because it would nice down the road to have pre-alpha vs alpha, vs launch version of 2.0's looks so people can see how much changes between builds.

Protocol7

Sadly this will stay in the mind of people and will be their first, bad, impression...
People are already saying that the game is crap even though they don't even know what it's all about... Stupid PR people... I'm upset, because I want to believe in 2.0 (I already play, well went back to 1.0 and having lots of fun despite it's minuses, after friends convinced me to come back) and that awesome person that is Yoshi-P and his team, they deserve that people give their work a chance...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It's not the worst trailer in the world, but it does seem odd. I do like the official forums leaped on 'IT LOOKS LIKE A CARTOON!!!!', instead of the shoddy nature of the trailer/(then-)engine.

Teknoman

Hopefully they bundle status effects/debuffs to bows since they're killing the separate arrow slot. Would be nice to have all throwing weapons have debuff versions as well.

Jinko

Hopefully they bundle status effects/debuffs to bows since they're killing the separate arrow slot. Would be nice to have all throwing weapons have debuff versions as well.

Um nope that would be like mages changing staffs in FF11, I don't wana see that again :(

It's really quite amusing how Yoshida "wouldn't" release a trailer because he feared it would have a negetive impact on the game and they go and release the latest TGS trailer in that state on youtube.

Even if it looks fine on the show floor more people will see the youtube video, first (or is this third) impressions are everything.

Syringe

It looks like we actually could get Final Fantasy XIV for Playstation 4 and/or Xbox 720 as well: http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/70151/Final+Fantasy+XIV+till+Xbox+720%3F/

Q - What&#8217;s the status on Final Fantasy XIV for Playstation 3 right now? Will it be out this year and can we expect it to move onto the next generation as well as you did with Final Fantasy XI that moved from Playstation 2 to Xbox 360?

Naoki Yoshida
We are working round the clock to further advance production on the PS3 version while testing all aspects of the game play, to stay on track for releasing both versions simultaneously.

If there&#8217;s some sort of announcement to players about next gen hardware after we&#8217;ve successfully launched the PS3 version as promised, then of course we have every intention of considering a next gen release.

Salaadin

That was annoying as hell. Having all those macros to change gear in and out for various stat increases before and after activating abilities. It looked really dumb too.

And WHMs would lose target on you if you swapped because of the blink. Ive seen people die because they gear swapped at the wrong time. Ive also seen WHMs rage over it. It was so ridiculous.

Cetra

Man... The more I see of 2.0 the more and more stoked I get. Seems more Final Fantasy to me than any entry in the series has been since IX and XI. A Realm Reborn is gonna be badass.

I was convinced that the earlier footage had to be PS3, too. Explanation makes sense, although it's an unfortunate oversight.

Hopefully the footage in the coming months will make this bungle a distant memory.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I was convinced that the earlier footage had to be PS3, too. Explanation makes sense, although it's an unfortunate oversight.

Hopefully the footage in the coming months will make this bungle a distant memory.

Next trailer will accidentally entirely consist of alpha footage.

The 1.0 alpha.

Teknoman

Um nope that would be like mages changing staffs in FF11, I don't wana see that again :(

It's really quite amusing how Yoshida "wouldn't" release a trailer because he feared it would have a negetive impact on the game and they go and release the latest TGS trailer in that state on youtube.

Even if it looks fine on the show floor more people will see the youtube video, first (or is this third) impressions are everything.

One of the worst things about FFXI, imo.
I actually love how XIV doesnt actually allow mid-fight gear swaps.

That was annoying as hell. Having all those macros to change gear in and out for various stat increases before and after activating abilities. It looked really dumb too.

On second thought, probably would get forced into that...but at the same time, I meant like having a bow have a chance for adding blind or poison, like swords or axes having a chance for extra fire damage or something. Managed to avoid the macro crowd through Blue Mage (everyone tried to convince me otherwise, but I fought just fine).

Jijidasu

This thread has seen no love for a couple of days!

Last night I managed to finish my Curtana. Having been so busy for the past month and a half with TGS, FF exhib. and so on I hadn't time to commit to any LS events. Last night was coincidentally the last time my LS would be doing Ex. Ifrit (7th relic, insane..) and I managed to secure a spot.

Managed to get the kill on the second attempt - I suppose we were quite lucky given that 2 out of 3 of the WS's he used after 13 nails were plumes which gave our DD the chance to quickly take him down. Previous attempts often had him jumping too often; makes a mess of things.

Made the front page, too! http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/group/top?gcid=2083252

bonus:
GIYK2.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
If only someone could have given me their friend pass. :?

I still want to try this game once in a while, but I'm not sure just yet.
Have to get a job first. :p

Allard

Since there was some confusion on this site, BG, and the official forums especially I figure I should post this rep comment from this morning in regards to servers and transfers in 2.0.

Good evening,

I will answer along with the information from Yoshida P.
At start of ARR service we are planning new worlds targeting new players. For existing players you will not be able to transfer for a while.

Regarding current players world transfer - We need to check how many players will return from those who played the current version at timing of ARR service start. so we will look into this along with checking the situation on beta test as well.

Also at the 25th anniversary event FFXIV Special Talk Show we introduced "Increasing world transfer" This means to be able to offer system structure which allows world transfer like the one in FFXI.

Basically no server transfers at the start for existing players to new servers, you are locked to your server till they can assess how many players are returning so they can understand how active population will affect current servers. When server transfers open up it will be closer to FFXI method of server transfer.

kch

Last night I managed to finish my Curtana.

Congrats! Nice looking sword that =)

Basically no server transfers at the start for existing players...

That's too bad, as I'm having trouble finding a LS on my current server which seems to be mostly JP players. Some old FFXI friends play on a different server and I was hoping to jump ship for 2.0. Oh well, in time then perhaps.

I played the FFXIV alpha/beta and maybe two weeks after launch but at the broken state it was and being active in WoW I really didn't pay any attention to the game and it fell off of my radar completly. Recently reactivated my account as more 2.0 footage and info started coming in and I'm actually having a great time with the game now. My goal was to get a chocobo and maybe unlock PLD before 2.0 hit, not knowing how long this would take. Now I have almost full AF for PLD and will probably have another job at 50 plus getting some crafting on before ARR. Progress in this game sure comes fast as I've played very casually. Nice change from FFXI but it almost feels like cheating in a way, being able to level solo.
It will be interesting to see how pet classes play out in XIV when it comes to that, since BST was my favourite job in XI.

ZiZ

Also at the 25th anniversary event FFXIV Special Talk Show we introduced "Increasing world transfer" This means to be able to offer system structure which allows world transfer like the one in FFXI.

sweet.

Allard

A clarification from English rep on the news from this morning.

Player
I don't mind waiting before given the chance to move to a regional server, but I don't want to be charged to do it after the fact. All accounts created prior to ARR should have the option of doing a free, one-time world transfer for all characters made before ARR launches.

Bayohne: Sorry, to clarify, our post is specifically answering a question about users wanting to change after they've chosen new servers. We're not saying existing players will remain on current servers until a time that is designated for people to move.

Hopefully that clears that up!

Wilsongt

Well, that was odd. I just started playing a couple of weeks ago, and I am really low level. Needless to say, I just died to a story boss and was revived at Camp Bentbranch... Only to see the place overrun by level 60+ Cactuars...

ZiZ

Well, that was odd. I just started playing a couple of weeks ago, and I am really low level. Needless to say, I just died to a story boss and was revived at Camp Bentbranch... Only to see the place overrun by level 60+ Cactuars...

the Cactuars summoned you, you are now their chosen hero that will clear their realm of all Gnats.

Sofo

Coming to bitch once more >:O I hate doublemelding! 6 pants for Ironman's Will III (+6 each), and 26% chance and nothing, all blew up. ):

I became aware today of just how long it has been since I logged on. Oisin Fion is not gone and will be back. Had some personal stuff happen to me a while back in early August. Since then I did some traveling to see some friends and in my free time have been with family/friends or playing sc2 with friends on Skype. I plan to get back in and finally get my MRD to 50 soon though :D

ZiZ

I'm guessing most players will get a house in Limsa, gotta admit that resort setting looks pretty good. But I'll probably get a house in Ul'dah anyway.

Allard

I thought the desert one looked best, will be getting that one.

Desert one looked the most unique, in all MMO's I have played never had housing with a gigantic oasis in the desert on top of a cliff. Think I am in 'wait and see' mode in regards to which place I want to setup my 'personal' home (whenever that becomes an option), but I am almost certain my free company is going to end up in Limsa, I know like 70% of my shell is from maelstrom and has already shown interest in the resort.

Jinko

I liked the gridania one, but the limsa one looks good too, I would have to see the area in real time plus the houses in general to decide i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom