• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I play with my XBox controller so this is welcome news. but isn't 8 commands a bit low?

As a DD 8 might be enough but for mages who play with controllers they might have to set their abilities depending on what they're gonna fight.

Kotaku seems to have a bit more info.

Square Enix is busy readying the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV. The Tokyo-based game company isn't just working on making sure the PS3 version is up to snuff, but it's also aiming for it to become the standard for MMORPGs on home consoles.

In the upcoming issue of Famitsu, Square Enix seems to have shed more light on the user interface for the long awaited PS3 version.

"Live", "Content", "Social", "Map", "My Character", "HUD", and "System" will be the seven sections on a XMB type interface that will be familiar to all PS3 owners. Each section will then bring up a subsection. For example, under My Character, there will be subsections like "Pose", "My Items", "Action Menu", and "Event Items".

There's a Cross Hot Bar, which was previously announced, that allows you to set and operate shortcuts for main commands, as well as for text and macro. The shortcuts are located in four horizontally arranged icon sets in the lower part of the screen. These are the grouped, and accessed, by the L2 and the R2 buttons and the directional pad or the face buttons. Using each shoulder button to cycle through the cross sets, players get quick access to commands. This user interface will be available to PC gamers who play with controllers.

"We didn't want to put the player using a controller at a disadvantage," user interface lead Hiroshi Minagawa told Famitsu. "Using a mouse and a keyboard is typically popular all over the world, but with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, we're aiming to be the standard for MMORPGs played with controllers."

http://kotaku.com/5950455/final-fantasy-xivs-desire-to-be-the-standard-for-mmorpg-console-gaming

Made a nice accomplishment tonight

Screenshot_3_zpsb2b87592.png

now back to spamming AV/CC

Jinko

PS3 interface looks interesting, I'm curious if they will allow PC users to use the PS3 interface for those who use controllers.

Personally I would prefer mouse and keyboard if it actually works properly.

PS3 graphics are a bit blurry looking but not bad considering. (2 years time we will be seeing this on PS4 no doubt anyway)

PS3 interface looks interesting, I'm curious if they will allow PC users to use the PS3 interface for those who use controllers.

Personally I would prefer mouse and keyboard if it actually works properly.

PS3 graphics are a bit blurry looking but not bad considering. (2 years time we will be seeing this on PS4 no doubt anyway)

Yes they will.

Allard

Two new interviews came out today from the Japanese gaming media with Yoshida. Hoping Reinheart or someone else will translate them soon but one of the screens inside the gamewatch article has the more 'ugly' looking PS3 shot on the TV and on a TV it looks pretty good :p (from a distance...)

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/565/356/html/ps3_01.jpg.html

There is also one set of comparison photos between PS3 and PC version (similar lighting and setting but not 'exactly' the same picture taken at different specs). The people who are interviewing Yoshida also appear to be giving the PS3 version UI a bit of testing since one pic has the interviewer holding a PS3 controller while looking at the TV.

The two articles:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20121011_565356.html

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201210110001/

I'm going to go ahead and guess based on precedent that the interviews are going to have similar info with a couple nuggets of new sprinkled throughout and a Famitsu article will appear later today as well. (since the initial screens came from that Magazine before getting deployed to the fansites).

Edit: Also a poster on the Official forums might have guessed what fanservice piece the new dungeon is based on, and if so that dungeon should be 'really' unique for an MMO lol. FFIX Ipsen's Castle. If so this would be a prime candidate for tonberry's and might be an additional dungeon on the lake in La Noscea (based on the look of the cliffs in the background), you know the shallow ruins in Northern La Noscea? While they have the raid dungeon on the island just behind it as was seen in the concept art.

Coldsnap

I just wish i knew more about melds and current gear for 2.0.. I'm not sure if i should be still chasing trippel / quad melds with 2.0 so close. Also maybe with the change of stats on equipment, some pieces might become good now.

Allard

Small summary of some of the interviews till a full translation is out. Courtesy of Stanislaw.

A Quick Summary of the recent JP Articles

For those who can't wait until a English interview or a complete translation of the new JP articles courtesy of our resident translators is released, here is a quick summary of various points I've picked out from the following interviews which I then translated. Have at what you will. Do note that they are not necessary 100% accurate as it was quick, and not all points have been picked out.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009287/20121010042/
http://www.onlinegamer.jp/news/201210110001/
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...11_565356.html
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...12_565505.html

- They (somewhat) ended up changing the map/layouts of the three cities after all.

- Amon, the re-introduced boss from FFIII, is going to be (one of?) the boss(es?) in Crystal Tower.

- Titan is confirmed to be in ARR from the start.

- Odin will 'appear differently' compared to that of other Primals.

- Depending on how one raises one's chocobo, what they can wear in equipments will also be different. (ex: If you raise it as a mage-type chocobo, then it can wear mage gear; if you raise it as a tank, it can wear tank gear, etc)

- The new dungeon in the concept art will be one of the many leveling dungeons introduced in ARR, this one being one from R40~R45. Compared to the current slew of dungeons where it's mostly 'cave' type dungeons, there will be more 'ruin/tower' type dungeons introduced in ARR.

- Hamlet will undergo a complete revamp. It will no longer be the 'closed' type content it currently is. The reason why it's the way it is the current version is due to 1.0 limitations. In ARR they can finally implement a more open-style content, which is what they originally wanted to do.

- Monster AI will operate under a FFXII-style 'gambit'-type system. Likewise, Chocobo AIs will operate under something similar.

- Depending on what class you start as, your starting city will be locked to where that class' guild is located. (ex: If you start off as a MRD, you start in Limsa)

- Raid bosses will always drop some type of reward - somewhere around 2~3 rare drops per party, random lotted. Even if one didn't get the rare drop, the players will be rewarded with tokens which you can then exchange for rare drops. In exchange, the chances to participate in the random lottery will be limited to 3 times per week. (Stanislaw's notes: The text in the interview here isn't really clear. What I'm assuming this means is that the chance to get that 2~3 rare drops is limited to 3 times per week, but one can still get tokens by trying the content over and over again. On the other hand, this can easily mean the return of horrid re-entry times.)

- All 1.0 players will get a chance to remake their character (appearance) for ARR. However, this can only be done once, and within half a year after launch.

- ARR's PS3 base resolution is 1280 x 544, which is then stretched/adjusted to 1280 x 720. Reason: PS3 memory limitations, etc. It's possible to set it higher as they're trying to fit every model into 10GB (the limit is 20GB), but with future considerations in mind, they want to set the bar relatively low for the sake of smooth performance.

- PS3 UI elements is still somewhat customizable in the sense that it can be moved around. Resizing the UI, however, is still up in the air.

- With the gamepad cross-bar system, one can register up to 128 actions (there are a total of eight 16 slots) on the bar, per class.

Audioboxer

Completely new to FF14, what benefits are there to picking up a cheap copy of the original FF14 release now?

Simply the entry price vs new retail price of 2.0? Or do I get anything else?

BLCKATK

Audίoboxer;43095395 said:
Completely new to FF14, what benefits are there to picking up a cheap copy of the original FF14 release now?

Simply the entry price vs new retail price of 2.0? Or do I get anything else?

Not sure if they are still selling XIV, unfortunately Legacy is up so even if you bought it now you wouldn't be able to get the subscription discount.

Allard

Not sure if they are still selling XIV, unfortunately Legacy is up so even if you bought it now you wouldn't be able to get the subscription discount.

You can't even register a copy of FFXIV anymore till 2.0. They shut off new registrations to keep people from using their 30 day trial from triggering while its currently in a free month, and that free month only comes if you paid in September, right now you can't even play unless you paid back in September.

Teknoman

here will be more 'ruin/tower' type dungeons introduced in ARR.

- Hamlet will undergo a complete revamp. It will no longer be the 'closed' type content it currently is. The reason why it's the way it is the current version is due to 1.0 limitations. In ARR they can finally implement a more open-style content, which is what they originally wanted to do.

Oh hell yeah.

On a related note, have you guys heard the FF chips albums? Official chiptune versions of modern FF games?

Blablurn

You can't even register a copy of FFXIV anymore till 2.0. They shut off new registrations to keep people from using their 30 day trial from triggering while its currently in a free month, and that free month only comes if you paid in September, right now you can't even play unless you paid back in September.

oh :/ thats fucking annoying

Sofo

oh :/ thats fucking annoying
They warned about it for some weeks before it happened.

Love Allard's post. Particularly the raid rewards thing. It's about time that at least we get "something" instead of jack-shit over and over again. It'll also make it for more sensible loot distribution, instead of "lol, random". Really happy with the upcoming changes.

Jinko

Glad to see chocobos are getting a gambit style system, I am hoping they do this for summoners pets as well.

- Depending on what class you start as, your starting city will be locked to where that class' guild is located. (ex: If you start off as a MRD, you start in Limsa)

This is a bit strange, does it mean your nation can be different to your starting city ? or that your nation is forced upon you depending on your starting city ?

I assume its the first one.

Happy about the token system they have planned for dungeons, I 'm hoping those "random" drops can be distributed via need before greed otherwise its kind of stupid.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bit strange, does it mean your nation can be different to your starting city ? or that your nation is forced upon you depending on your starting city ?
Hoping the first- it doesn't matter to me anymore, I suppose, but limiting your nation like that (or forcing people to level 10 in a class they don't want to 'main') is a bit silly.

Embryon

Neo Member
here will be more 'ruin/tower' type dungeons introduced in ARR.

Oh hell yeah.

On a related note, have you guys heard the FF chips albums? Official chiptune versions of modern FF games?

We actually just finished posting reviews and samples of all five albums this week at RPGFan! Maybe they'll whet your appetite while we wait for more FFXIV news.

http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ff7chips/index.html
http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ff8chips/index.html
http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ff9chips/index.html
http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ff10chips/index.html
http://rpgfan.com/soundtracks/xichips/index.html

Allard

Glad to see chocobos are getting a gambit style system, I am hoping they do this for summoners pets as well.

I assume its the first one.

Happy about the token system they have planned for dungeons, I 'm hoping those "random" drops can be distributed via need before greed otherwise its kind of stupid.

My understanding (limited as it may be till we get a proper translation of the answer in question) is that its going to be similar to how it is now, you have a city storyline early on, but after your tutorial is done and the armory is unlocked, you become unaffiliated till you choose a company and the starting location is little more then a foot note to get you into the world. I think the reason they did it this way is because they locked the armory till lvl 10 they want to make sure players are close to their guild more then likely for storyline purposes.

We already know you can't just equip a new tool right away in ARR, even if the armory is unlocked you still need to go to the class guild to do a quest or talk to an NPC to unlock that class and make it possible to equip. You will notice this in effect in the Black Shroud demos we have seen thus far where it has all 7 combat classes and then miner and botanist and nothing else in the class menu, the reason being is that the other classes simply hadn't been unlocked yet.

Jinko

My understanding (limited as it may be till we get a proper translation of the answer in question) is that its going to be similar to how it is now, you have a city storyline early on, but after your tutorial is done and the armory is unlocked, you become unaffiliated till you choose a company and the starting location is little more then a foot note to get you into the world. I think the reason they did it this way is because they locked the armory till lvl 10 they want to make sure players are close to their guild more then likely for storyline purposes.

Yea it makes total sense to start off in the same city as your starting class guild for sure, and I suspect you are right in regards to the company choice being your favoured city.

Allard

Reading part 2 of the gamewatch article (part 1 got translated late last night), looks like PS3 beta is going to come near the end of the beta process. Yoshida is worried too many PS3 users are going to participate in the beta expect it to be closer to a demo and is worried about bugs, so it will show up near the end closer to when launch happens. The entire article is worth checking out (part 1 is on the official forums, part 2 looks like its almost done) as it details in pretty extensive detail the whole PS3 UI and the differences between PS3 version and PC version and what went into the process of making it, even has Minagawa the UI director talking about it.

Other noteworthy details (some stated earlier but with more description this time)

They want to make PS3 version around 10GB install but can't quite commit to that amount and it might go higher, they want to keep it low not just to keep the size of the install low but apparently there is 20 Gig partition limit at the moment and want to leave plenty of room for additional content down the road. There will be a new collectors edition and they are thinking of giving people the option to 'upgrade' to a collectors edition account (In other words... probably has some in game collectors items) and they might also give bonus's for pre-orders etc. PC players planning to play on the PS3 will unfortunately need to buy a PS3 version of ARR to play, but you can link it with your PC account. PS3 Beta will play on the same PC servers when released, there will be no segregation.

The chocobo AF barding is meant to evoke a costume representing the chocobo's role, it won't actually have DRG type abilities if its a melee focused chocobo (no Chocobo jump attack!). Chocobo barding gives zero stats and is purely cosmetic. Chocobo grows by leveling it up and properly raising it. The gear is more of a milestone, like you can't equip certain barding till your chocobo is a specific level or raise the chocobo in a specific way but like was said it doesn't actually give you stats, merely an aesthetic statement about where your chocobo is in the scheme of things. How to obtain Behemoth gear for Chocobo is a secret but it will be in at launch. Unlike current version you can equip specific pieces instead of only full sets, so you can mix up head, body, feet etc.

The new dungeon shown in the concept art is reached by a boat. You start from the bottom and work your way to the top to fight the final boss. The dungeon is tentatively called "Wanderer's Palace" and is designed for lvl 40-45 range. They said they want to get away from only natural terrain dungeons and more stuff in unique areas (thus the outside dungeon on the water). "Wanderer's Palace" is going to be a leveling dungeon. There will be leveling dungeons like this one where it will be completely instanced, but there will also be public dungeons called forts. It sounds like we might get a video of the new dungeon in the near future and the concept art released was meant to set our imaginations on fire while waiting. He also confirms this dungeon is near Limsa Lominsa and is actually on the ocean rather then a lake.

They are 'hoping' to show a live demo of the PS3 version sometime in November and Alpha is still scheduled to be out sometime at the end of October.

Teknoman

Yeah thats where I heard the previews. Awesome site by the way, been using it for awhile now for anything soundtrack related, or when I need a quick heads up on an RPG i've spotted while out.

Glad the previews dont use real player anymore lol :p

Munba

Very nice info there in the interviews.
So cities will have some major changes after all, so good to hear. Hamlet Defence in open-word finally! Gambit stuff for chocobo and monsters seems interesting. And the beginning class tied with a specific nation, to use the correlated guild, is a good choise imo.

Jinko

PC players planning to play on the PS3 will unfortunately need to buy a PS3 version of ARR to play,

Seriously SE, money grubbing fecks.. just as well I don't plan to play it on PS3 I guess.

I doubt PS3 players will have to do the same to play on PC .. lol

Seriously SE, money grubbing fecks.. just as well I don't plan to play it on PS3 I guess.

I doubt PS3 players will have to do the same to play on PC .. lol

I'm sure they will have to buy the PC version as well. :p I will get the PS3 version though, trophies and all that. ;)

Synless

I already own a PC version so is this update free for me? Or do I need to re-buy it? I know this had been answered before in the past, I just want to make sure nothing has changed. I am getting the PS3 version regardless, it would just be nice to upgrade to the PC version once I platinum the game on PS3.

Yea I was referring to other ways of obtaining the installation disk.

I could always borrow a PS3 installation disk I guess.

Oh you mean like that, yeah.

I already own a PC version so is this update free for me? Or do I need to re-buy it? I know this had been answered before in the past, I just want to make sure nothing has changed. I am getting the PS3 version regardless, it would just be nice to upgrade to the PC version once I platinum the game on PS3.

It's free update if you have the game already.

Allard

Very nice info there in the interviews.
So cities will have some major changes after all, so good to hear. Hamlet Defence in open-word finally! Gambit stuff for chocobo and monsters seems interesting. And the beginning class tied with a specific nation, to use the correlated guild, is a good choise imo.

According to the onlinegamer interview (not to be confused with 4gamer) the changes to the cities were something they decided on at the last second, basically like a day or two before the interview was made implying not all the staff was aware it was about to happen yet lol.

Here is the question and answer for the city stuff.

So for the city there isn’t much change?
Y: First I thought there wasn’t much but we actually did make a lot of changes..... (laugh)
M: We are talking at the last minute “What? We’re really going to make changes with this much time left?” and currently we are about to do this joint development. It will be under the daylight soon (laugh)

Also the new dungeon will not be part of the 'main story' but it will get its own story leading up to your eventual entrance into it. Also feel like posting the full translation of the reasoning behind changing the nation starting stuff from choosing a nation to choosing a class.

So there will be no disadvantages on which nation you choose at the beginning?
Y: The base is made so they are pretty much same, however this time the starting battle class and nation are linked together. This was something I didn’t agree on with current version FFXIV but by starting with Gladiator and starting from Gridania there is no Gladiators guild. No one will teach you about the sword and at same time you wouldn’t know the existence of Ul’dah with the actual guild, you are lost and won’t know where to go.
To be able to start from anywhere means we can’t tell them how we want them to play. So in ARR FFXIV say you want to start as a lancer you will start from Gridania but we will make sure to make connection with that guild and related quests. There are many things we can do by taking away that freedom also so instead of just being convenient we are taking how it’s easier to understand.

Also stuff from 1.0 like the titan fight and cutscene that never got used is coming in 2.0 without much tweaks, just goes to show the main story isn't going to change 'that much' if they plan to use something made before FFXIV got released is getting used nearly unchanged in 2.0.

Ravidrath

Have they moved into a new event?

Nope, not yet.

At this rate, I expect the final event will be when they stop saving progress.

There's that desolate "world of ruin" sort of music they revealed for this patch, which I guess will be the only thing going on in the world after that.

Why aren't they saving progress then? Because there's probably not much left to actually do in the shattered husk of Eorzea.

Dega I have 3 relics, but none has filled the hole you left in my heart </33

come back

What am I, chopped liver? :\

kch

Speaking of cutscenes..is anyone else guilty of skipping most of them? I loved pretty much all cutscenes from XI and was really interested in the stories told but this time around I find myself skipping them most of the time. The AF quests I've done (WHM, PLD) seemed rather dull and the GC quests has been a bore thus far. Havn't done much in the main story but seeing as they're about to start fresh I lack motivation to plow through it.

Maybe it's just me getting older and not caring about stories in games as much but that would be rather sad :(

Allard

Speaking of cutscenes..is anyone else guilty of skipping most of them? I loved pretty much all cutscenes from XI and was really interested in the stories told but this time around I find myself skipping them most of the time. The AF quests I've done (WHM, PLD) seemed rather dull and the GC quests has been a bore thus far. Havn't done much in the main story but seeing as they're about to start fresh I lack motivation to plow through it.

Maybe it's just me getting older and not caring about stories in games as much but that would be rather sad :(

A lot of it might have to do with the fact you can even skip cutscene in this game... in FFXI you needed to still watch the CS, you just had to plow through the text as fast as possible or watch CS, exit arena, and then re enter to skip it for the battle. The final GC battle you basically had to skip all the CS's as the battle time was designed around skipping them. When I finally beat the fight we decided to go into the fight and do a run where we got to watch the CS, lose, and then do the real thing and then fraps the final scene because everyone wanted to actually see the Cut-scenes as intended in a large group.

kch

A lot of it might have to do with the fact you can even skip cutscene in this game... in FFXI you needed to still watch the CS, you just had to plow through the text as fast as possible or watch CS, exit arena, and then re enter to skip it for the battle. The final GC battle you basically had to skip all the CS's as the battle time was designed around skipping them. When I finally beat the fight we decided to go into the fight and do a run where we got to watch the CS, lose, and then do the real thing and then fraps the final scene because everyone wanted to actually see the Cut-scenes as intended in a large group.

I was thinking that was one of the reasons for watching the cutscenes in XI but looking back I was actually interested in watching them, see how the story would pan out. I even frapsed a lot so I could rewatch them. I dunno maybe it was the fact that XI managed to grab me, and so many others, in the world and it's story. I havn't felt that way for a game since..who knows! In XI you had to travel the whole world, mostly by foot, and explore it's content in a way that made, me at least, very attachted to everything the game had to offer. Honestly though I wouldn't have the time to dive into a game like that today but everything has been so streamlined these days with fast traveling and teleporting around. I hate the fact that you basically never had to leave the big towns in WoW after they introduced dungeon-teleporting and matchmaking groups. I really hope they stay clear of that in ARR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom