• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bigger screens.

finalfantasyxivarrpcalphacharamake01.jpg

finalfantasyxivarrpcalphacharamake02.jpg

finalfantasyxivarrpcalphacharamake03.jpg

finalfantasyxivarrpcalphacharamake04.jpg

finalfantasyxivarrpcalphacharamake05.jpg

The new launcher.
accd4aa58a0970b9424d3594c40f24f6.jpg
NIIIIIIICE!

Allard

I haven't heard a single thing about them since they brought them up in the first place.

They are coming, there was a new piece of concept art for female Highlander in the pamphlet at the 25th Anniversary event in Japan which later was discovered in english fansites sometime around October. Alpha test is Male Midlander Hyur and Seeker of the Sun female Mi'qote only, so that's all you see.

Mature

They are coming, there was a new piece of concept art for female Highlander in the pamphlet at the 25th Anniversary event in Japan which later was discovered in english fansites sometime around October. Alpha test is Male Midlander Hyur and Seeker of the Sun female Mi'qote only, so that's all you see.
As always, I'm able to count on you.

Lyng

Is there a gaf guild in FFXIV?

With the amount of changes they have done with ARR, I might be jumping in.

I love the FF series and enjoy MMO's in general.

But I have a few questions to you guys. On what is the emphasis in this game? Dungeons? Exploration? Story?

Jinko

But I have a few questions to you guys. On what is the emphasis in this game? Dungeons? Exploration? Story?

I would say it leans more towards dungeons, although story is much more prevalent than in other MMO's with actual cutscenes for all major story plots.

Exploration is there if you choose to do it, there will probably be more emphasis on this in ARR though as they have changed it so you discover the map as you explore.

Lyng

Dungeons and story are what I enjoy about MMO's. So seeing both these aspects focused on in the same MMO makes me interested.

I truly enjoy GW2 for its combat and style. But the story is very lack luster and the amount of dungeons is dissapointing. So I am looking for a game to give me that fix.

Jinko

It does look great. (the armour looks much more crisp looking)

No chance this will run on my current PC, my gaming PC has died for some reason, need to sort that out before I get into Alpha/Beta.

kiryogi

Banned
Is there a gaf guild in FFXIV?

With the amount of changes they have done with ARR, I might be jumping in.

I love the FF series and enjoy MMO's in general.

Yes, we're currently on Sargatanas. Not sure what's gonna happen come 2.0 however.

Our website: reddot.guildwork.com

Although some gaffers aren't in it for silly reasons. . . They're in on the fake servers XD

SARGATANAS FOR ALL.

Looks like the alpha is underway.

We've only just begun with testing A Realm Reborn! Without going into specifics, we can safely say that there will be more options to choose from when it comes to the customization categories in later builds (like additional customization options for Miqo'te tails!)

Sofo

Just applied to beta some days ago. Didn't want to at first, but I think it might be cool, so I can lower my expectations at 2.0 /debbiedowner. Nah, now seriously, I think 2.0 has good chances of having a great success, as long as they don't rush again. Game has come such a long way. If they can remove UI-clunkyness, fix drops and overall make it less demanding/more efficient, I'll be satisfied.

As an update, yesterday I finally got all my Hamlet seals!! It's been hectic, but I'm glad to have accomplished it in such a short time! It was a _ton_ of work though, and I'm a bit burned out of it, but totally worth it!

Also, a friend of mine decided to take some pics of me, because since I play on "legoland" (shitty graphics), I wanted to have some pictures of my jobs before 2.0, hehe. Hope you guys don't mind the spam!

Vloa3.jpg

rt0nk.jpg

gVlIN.jpg

lhrxV.jpg

gIfZT.jpg

380hrs before impact!

Riposte

I'm real eager to see an end of the world event. Until then, I'm pretty busy with other games. Since this stuff will probably slip through the cracks, you guys should make sure to talk about the next time they switch phases.

Jinko

Excitement is building, looks like a completely different game tbh, I'll probably end up starting a new character with 2.0 on an EU server.

Allard

Anyone else notice height differential while fighting the Iron Giant? Looks like (hopefully) they got rid of the stupid height requirements to attack mobs as you can see Archers fighting the iron giants from high up on cliff while the others fight on ground level. Drove me nuts how I was pretty damn close to a mob yet I kept getting the warning of "Mob elevation is too high to target" and it required me to be basically right next to the mob on a descending platform where there was no obstruction with magic/arrows, this showed up the most often in dungeon like environments especially Cassiopeia Hollow.

zlatko

Banned
Yoshi is going to be rocking FFXIV 2.0 as well? GLORIOUS! Maybe...just maybe...I can play on the same server. I'll be rolling a fresh character from scratch. :D

zlatko

Banned
From what I am hearing on the grapevine is that Alpha is scheduled to take place for a month and it's split into 4 phases. Phase 1 is starting soon and the only players invited are those with Japanese accounts due to timezone issues. They want more players playing in their timezone and language so they can quickly address issues in working towards stabilizing the alpha build (and later the beta build) so that servers can run 24/7 without much hiccups. Phase 1-2 is JP only, Phase 3-4 opens up NA/EU invites. Since they said its a month and 4 phases I am guessing in 2 weeks they will start inviting the rest of the Alpha pool. Beta starts sometime after that. I think in general we are probably going to need to be a little more forgiving with date changes and delays now that we are finally in this stage, we want things to go perfectly but Alpha and betas are run for a reason and its usually to catch bugs that would otherwise deter people from playing. Something they need to get right this time unlike Vanilla Alpha/Beta.

In regards to those waiting for Alpha, what I am also hearing is that it is going to be a VERY stripped down version of the game, like they split off and made an alpha and beta build so features were intentional stripped for the sake of focused stress testing. Limited levels, only 3 classes (you can see this in the alpha character creation screen), basically no cutscenes, main storyline is completely nixed to keep people from getting spoiled etc.

Not sure how I feel about all this.

Will the beta roll out more content to mess around with? Are they doing 1 free month trials again for release?

Allard

Not sure how I feel about all this.

Will the beta roll out more content to mess around with? Are they doing 1 free month trials again for release?

Beta will have the full game being tested eventually with exception to the main storyline and likely a couple other events (Raids etc. will probably limited to little or no testing done so it can be fresh content for lvl 50's when the game launches again). At least that is what I am hearing/seeing from a mix of forum leaks and what Yoshida has personally said. Basically Alpha is limited combat testing, UI testing (limited, just making sure its responsive is my guess) and full on server stress testing. Its purpose is to get the game up and running with minimal issues and to see how lag is effecting combat etc. Beta is the content testing phase where they invite more people to test content balance, combat changes, crafting, questing/leveling etc. I'm sure not all the content will be ready right out the door but the beta will likely last long enough where they can get a good idea of where the balance needs to be for launch, has minimal critical bugs, and has enough content from lvl 1-50 to get the game where it needs to be to revive it for new players.

As for another free trial when the game launches, I got no idea. Other then the conditions for Alpha (which we got this week) we really don't know exactly what the internal schedule is for content.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There is a Yoshi in the background lol
:lol wow
Yoshi, did you quit WoW? Also, this isn't a Blizzard game - whatchoo doin?
Whatcha talking about! Yoshi is a gamer, he plays all the good games!
Yoshi is going to be rocking FFXIV 2.0 as well? GLORIOUS! Maybe...just maybe...I can play on the same server. I'll be rolling a fresh character from scratch. :D
♥ ♥ ♥

kch

Me and the guys I play with are torn on whether we should head to a EU server or stay on an international realm for 2.0. The latency is really affecting gameplay bad so that speaks for changing to EU zone, but it's a big plus having people all over the world on the same server too as it never really feels dead. Also with them changing the gamestructure, higher latency might not be that big of an issue. Time will tell!
Would be great to play with other EuroGaffers though. Us 'Närkebor' need to stick together, Yoshi ;)

Jinko

Me and the guys I play with are torn on whether we should head to a EU server or stay on an international realm for 2.0. The latency is really affecting gameplay bad so that speaks for changing to EU zone, but it's a big plus having people all over the world on the same server too as it never really feels dead. Also with them changing the gamestructure, higher latency might not be that big of an issue. Time will tell!
Would be great to play with other EuroGaffers though. Us 'Närkebor' need to stick together, Yoshi ;)

Yea its the main reason I will be going to an EU based server, from what I understand the gamestructure latency thing is more down to the data centres and where the servers are distributed than the actual netcode they will be using.

You can't get away from the 300 ms from EU to JP.

That being said Sarg could very well end up in Europe and then I have no reason to change lol.

King_Moc

Banned
Yea its the main reason I will be going to an EU based server, from what I understand the gamestructure latency thing is more down to the data centres and where the servers are distributed than the actual netcode they will be using.

You can't get away from the 300 ms from EU to JP.

That being said Sarg could very well end up in Europe and then I have no reason to change lol.

Did they say they would allow server transfers a few months in? I'd consider switching to a Euro one, but i really don't want to lose my progress. 3 lv 50's was a lot of work.

Synless

Is 2.0 out yet? I would like to start this game, I have owned it for a year now, but was waiting for the update. It's seems like its close going off the last few posts.

BLCKATK

Is 2.0 out yet? I would like to start this game, I have owned it for a year now, but was waiting for the update. It's seems like its close going off the last few posts.

Not yet. 1.0 is being finished up in the next couple of days and Alpha testing for JP players next week.

Just got my Darklight Corselet finally. Better late then never lol. I can now focus on a few other pieces and hopefully finish up this weekend

Sofo

Grats! I'm still lacking Darklight! I'm currently priority looter on Darklight gloves, but I don't think they'll drop before 2.0, sadly! Would be nice to have some DL so I can start saving totems in 2.0 for other pieces. I have a hunch that the Cowl will be very good for Arcanist.

In other news, yesterday we beat Darnus (hard)! They had gotten a win the day prior to that, and we had already set up that Saturday we'd do it non-stop. After not so many runs and one 3% wipe run, we got it down!! I'm so happy, didn't even expect to get it.

I was DD-WHM for it, and managed to pull off 33k damage on it (on their other win run, the relic DD-WHM got 34k! So I'm happy with myself). That fight was soooo much fun!

WptHJ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom