• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Not too familiar with FFXI, but while the GC stuff is a step up, the main questline of XIV itself is just so... awful. You spend the first half of it investigating the backstory of other people while doing meaningless fetch quests, and the next's most major character is Bland McBland. It's no wonder it didn't grab you!

Jinko

Speaking of cutscenes..is anyone else guilty of skipping most of them? I loved pretty much all cutscenes from XI and was really interested in the stories told but this time around I find myself skipping them most of the time. The AF quests I've done (WHM, PLD) seemed rather dull and the GC quests has been a bore thus far. Havn't done much in the main story but seeing as they're about to start fresh I lack motivation to plow through it.

Maybe it's just me getting older and not caring about stories in games as much but that would be rather sad :(

Nope loved the CS in this game, its the best thing about this game IMO.

That being said its understandable for people to skip when they feel pressure to not waste time in a party etc.

Meicyn

Gold Member
FUCK YEAH. It always annoyed me so much when playing FFXI, having to wear stupid looking gear like the optical hat or leaping boots instead of the artifact armor that made you stand out. There were many occasions where I'd want to put on the full Iron Muskateer or Gallant set when playing Paladin, and there was just no valid reason to do so gameplay-wise.

Vanity slots are definitely the way to go.

Teknoman

Nope loved the CS in this game, its the best thing about this game IMO.

That being said its understandable for people to skip when they feel pressure to not waste time in a party etc.

Heh I never skip scenes unless specifically asked to. Thats kinda why I like being the first to something along with my party...no pressure to go go go and skip the scene.

Zaptruder

Banned
So is the Vanity Slot a single slot, or is it a mirror set of slots for all displayed items?

I hope the vanity system encourages the release of fashionable pieces of clothing.

Going into battle with suit, top hat and monocle would be tres excellent.

Darte

Won't be in at launch of 2.0 but still happy it is coming :D
I've replaced all of my BLM AF shortly after getting it so that was kinda pointless for me to go through the quests lol

Coldsnap

FUCK YEAH. It always annoyed me so much when playing FFXI, having to wear stupid looking gear like the optical hat or leaping boots instead of the artifact armor that made you stand out. There were many occasions where I'd want to put on the full Iron Muskateer or Gallant set when playing Paladin, and there was just no valid reason to do so gameplay-wise.

Vanity slots are definitely the way to go.

Nooooo that was one of the best parts of FFXIV. Good equipment looked like complete shit, but somehow it made everyone look cool.

Sofo

Really upset with Hamlet atm. I need 3 seals to finish them, so I can start relic. 2 in Aleport and 1 in Golden Bazaar.

I spent 14 hours, non-stop, in Aleport yesterday, doing runs, and only resting for the 15 minutes cool-down. I got only 1 seal, and that was thanks to a friend. So today I went to Golden Bazaar and provisioned, in hopes of it reaching Rank 2, since I didn't have enough to reach top 3 for Rank 1. We were 300,000 points short of reaching Rank 2, so basically it's completely useless to me, as I'm not top 3. Also, in provisioning it in hopes to get it to rank 2, means that now I have no items to reach top 3 for Aleport, as that one is also unlikely to reach Rank 2, during the weekdays.

What the hell, honestly, why is this event so based on community input, and otherwise you're fucked? Particularly with the community numbers dwindling, makes it impossible unless you're really rich and can buy yourself the first spot or unless you have been saving materials to provision for a long time. I wish I had joined the many Hamlet statics. :/

On a light note, the reason that I'm wasting so much time in Hamlet is because I got my doublemelded Astrolabe! On my first attempt. Decided to just give it a try and just bought the Astrolabe and the materia. I was freaking out when it worked, haha.

IORci.jpg

(Just realized that in my excitement I made tons of typos, lol. My bad!)

Coldsnap

Think I might be done until 2.0.. will be nice to take a break at this point. Got a lot of stuff going on that deserves my attention.

Shouta

Really upset with Hamlet atm. I need 3 seals to finish them, so I can start relic. 2 in Aleport and 1 in Golden Bazaar.

I spent 14 hours, non-stop, in Aleport yesterday, doing runs, and only resting for the 15 minutes cool-down. I got only 1 seal, and that was thanks to a friend. So today I went to Golden Bazaar and provisioned, in hopes of it reaching Rank 2, since I didn't have enough to reach top 3 for Rank 1. We were 300,000 points short of reaching Rank 2, so basically it's completely useless to me, as I'm not top 3. Also, in provisioning it in hopes to get it to rank 2, means that now I have no items to reach top 3 for Aleport, as that one is also unlikely to reach Rank 2, during the weekdays.

What the hell, honestly, why is this event so based on community input, and otherwise you're fucked? Particularly with the community numbers dwindling, makes it impossible unless you're really rich and can buy yourself the first spot or unless you have been saving materials to provision for a long time. I wish I had joined the many Hamlet statics. :/

On a light note, the reason that I'm wasting so much time in Hamlet is because I got my doublemelded Astrolabe! On my first attempt. Decided to just give it a try and just bought the Astrolabe and the materia. I was freaking out when it worked, haha.

http://i.imgur.com/IORci.jpg
(Just realized that in my excitement I made tons of typos, lol. My bad!)

Events are pretty early-era FFXI at the moment, i.e. not really designed for multiple styles of play (in regards to time invested) so it's going to be pretty frustrating. This is particularly true in regards to drops, which is really annoying. Gotta split miniscule junk too? Sheesh.

Allard

So is v2 already launched? If it hasn't, when is it coming? OP should be updated!

The alpha hasn't even started (it got delayed a month). If you are waiting for the official launch release and not the alpha/beta come back in March, February at the earliest.

Ravidrath

So is v2 already launched? If it hasn't, when is it coming? OP should be updated!

Nope, and there isn't a release date for it yet, either.

Right now we're waiting for the current game to shut down on 11/1, and then the beta of 2.0.

The actual release of 2.0 is expected sometime in early 2013.

Jason2slow

Neo Member
The alpha hasn't even started (it got delayed a month). If you are waiting for the official launch release and not the alpha/beta come back in March, February at the earliest.

Nope, and there isn't a release date for it yet, either.

Right now we're waiting for the current game to shut down on 11/1, and then the beta of 2.0.

The actual release of 2.0 is expected sometime in early 2013.

Thanks guys, plan on coming back as soon as v2 beta or full release is available.

Sofo

Enki you chat colors do not correspond the the linkshells emblem. My OCD is LIVID
Actually, never thought of that! But I got used to a certain kind of color. GAF-related LSes always used yellow. Deep green for social-only and bright green for endgame LS!

Events are pretty early-era FFXI at the moment, i.e. not really designed for multiple styles of play (in regards to time invested) so it's going to be pretty frustrating. This is particularly true in regards to drops, which is really annoying. Gotta split miniscule junk too? Sheesh.
Yeah, after doing like 6 runs of AV/CC -together- daily (or almost daily) and not getting any of the DL drops I'm interested in, I'm just frustrated. I know they are just stringing us along and trying so that we don't get too much done before people join on 2.0, but it's rally discouraging.

Cmagus

Think I might be done until 2.0.. will be nice to take a break at this point. Got a lot of stuff going on that deserves my attention.

Ditto I am kind of burnt out right now it is certainly time for 2.0 at this point. I'll return at the start of 2.0 or beta if I get in. Garuda/AV/Relic isn't very exciting anymore that plus my schedule just doesn't line up with anything anymore things are already going by time I can get in or I miss it lol.

Allard

New interview with Yoshida from rpgamer.com

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff14/ff14arrint.html

Not much new, but it does give some clarification on a couple ambiguous concepts and how he wants to do things moving forward. I am really happy someone finally asked the final question in regards to fanservice and happy with Yoshida's answer. It was beginning to bother me just how 'obsessed' he was about getting previous game fanservice into FFXIV in past interviews. I 'assumed' he was going to make it work within the originality of the game world but its nice to actually hear it directly from him. Part of FFXI's charm (and most FF's for that matter) is nostalgia was an asset to the narrative rather then the only strength it had. I want new and exciting characters and events/places to add to the history of FF rather then just keep pulling from the same old pool.

Allard

So who is invited into the beta sessions? Anyone who was a subscriber and beta of vanilla?

From what I am hearing on the grapevine is that Alpha is scheduled to take place for a month and it's split into 4 phases. Phase 1 is starting soon and the only players invited are those with Japanese accounts due to timezone issues. They want more players playing in their timezone and language so they can quickly address issues in working towards stabilizing the alpha build (and later the beta build) so that servers can run 24/7 without much hiccups. Phase 1-2 is JP only, Phase 3-4 opens up NA/EU invites. Since they said its a month and 4 phases I am guessing in 2 weeks they will start inviting the rest of the Alpha pool. Beta starts sometime after that. I think in general we are probably going to need to be a little more forgiving with date changes and delays now that we are finally in this stage, we want things to go perfectly but Alpha and betas are run for a reason and its usually to catch bugs that would otherwise deter people from playing. Something they need to get right this time unlike Vanilla Alpha/Beta.

In regards to those waiting for Alpha, what I am also hearing is that it is going to be a VERY stripped down version of the game, like they split off and made an alpha and beta build so features were intentional stripped for the sake of focused stress testing. Limited levels, only 3 classes (you can see this in the alpha character creation screen), basically no cutscenes, main storyline is completely nixed to keep people from getting spoiled etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom