• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronotech

So since I didn't have time to finish the story (just reached the Ifrit section), how much am I going to legitimately miss? Any major missable items or cool story that I'm passing up?

So excited for 2.0, I just thought I was going to catch up with the story in time :(

MarioAnthony

Neo Member
So since I didn't have time to finish the story (just reached the Ifrit section), how much am I going to legitimately miss? Any major missable items or cool story that I'm passing up?

So excited for 2.0, I just thought I was going to catch up with the story in time :(

You missed some pretty good missions and an awesomely fun final boss fight with Darnus. Lucky for you, someone made all the cutscenes viewable online in a nice format:

http://www.finalfantasyxivcutscenes.com/

N.A

Banned
dT42m.png

It is our pleasure to inform you that the third installment of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Letter from the Producer LIVE is scheduled to air on November 11, 2012, from 2:00 a.m. (PST)! During the broadcast, Producer & Director Naoki Yoshida will be answering various questions from fans the world over. Be sure not to miss this opportunity to hear the latest information straight from the minstrel's mouth!

Date & Time
November 11, 2012, from 2:00 a.m. (PST)

URL
YouTube Live
* The URL will be posted in the near future.

For viewing on smartphones, iOS 5 or greater is recommended.
* The broadcast will not be available via the YouTube application. Please access the URL through your web browser (users may need to clear their browser's cache).

How to Submit Questions
Prior to the live stream, questions will be accepted in the designated thread on the official forum.

It is also possible to ask questions during the live stream. To do so, please follow the official FFXIV Twitter account (@FF_XIV_EN) and send tweets containing the "XIVLive" hash tag.

Themes
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

Questions will be forwarded to Naoki Yoshida who will attempt to field as many questions as possible, and to the best of his ability.
* Please note that the audio will be available in Japanese only.
Those of you who are unavailable to view the live broadcast, never fear! All the questions and answers will be posted on the official Twitter account in real time. Furthermore, a Q&A summary will be released via the official forums shortly thereafter.

A version update for the final event.

At the following date and time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV to implement a version update for the final event. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Update Details]
Below are Updates related to the end of the Seventh Umbral Era:

- Weaker monsters that are being repelled by adventurers will be replaced by deadlier types.
- Certain monsters that have been hiding their true potential will now unleash their wrath. (This has been already implemented for some of the monsters)
- These monsters will no longer be stunned by a mere Wrist Flick.
- As relief for adventurers facing enormous odds stacked against them, anima recovery rate will be multiplied by 30 to make it easier to call for help.

[Date & Time]
Nov. 2, 2012 from 21:00 to 22:00 (GMT)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/57089-EU-All-Worlds-Maintenance-(Nov.-2)

desu

I also got a small collection of alpha shots now, too many pantsu shots because thats what too many jp people care about, I guess xD.

Well whoever wants them can pm me as well.

Salaadin

I also got a small collection of alpha shots now, too many pantsu shots because thats what too many jp people care about, I guess xD.

Well whoever wants them can pm me as well.

Very nice shots. Will watch the video when I get home.

How does it run? What are your PC specs?

Salaadin

Those are not mine, I've just collected the few pics that were posted on jp forums so far.

Ohhh so you dont take panty shots...you just collect them. Gotcha! XD

But seriously, the shots are nice. I just love the way it looks. Cant wait to see it on my own screen.

Jinko

Cool alpha video, looks much better for newbies.

I think its lost some of its charm in that you are being told what to do though... ie hand holding.

Allard

Cool alpha video, looks much better for newbies.

I think its lost some of its charm in that you are being told what to do though... ie hand holding.

We knew that was coming though, Yoshida made a case that he wanted the first 15 or so levels of a players career (no matter what class they start as) to be fairly guided but as you get higher up you get more things to do and less things being explicitly told to the player. It was a huge problem in FFXI and FFXIV, I mean I don't mind being forced to explore and 'learn for yourself through experience and talking with people', but basic tenants of the game world like the armory, guild leve, guilds themselves, city resources and other new features should be explained to new players as they come to them so they are on an even playing ground with players that had been there for a long time. Nothing frustrates new players more then getting shunned by the community for not knowing something and then having no resources in obvious proximity that tells them what they need to know.

Having said that for what little we have seen of the starting experience thus far I think it holds the hands of players just enough to get the message across while still making players feel like they can go out and explore the world if they wanted to at any moment. I also noticed that our Aetherpass for the cities are probably useless in 2.0 since it seems they converted the system to something anyone can use as long as they attune themselves to the proper crystal. Also a bit disappointed in Gridania: New city looking... very similar to current version (not to mention small but that might be due to it being a city hub and they want people to spread out into old city when not getting quests/company stuff) but Old City looks like a completely new entity, seems like the names should be reversed lol.

Cmagus

Lots of monsters in the city but my god the lag. I got hit by a level 84 firedrake and it killed me but it took like 45 seconds for the hit to register and die let alone borderline crash my game.

Allard

Lots of monsters in the city but my god the lag. I got hit by a level 84 firedrake and it killed me but it took like 45 seconds for the hit to register and die let alone borderline crash my game.

This event is fairly useless to me as cool as it is. For some reason I always crash in Ul'Dah after like 4-5 minutes of staying there even if there isn't a ton of people. Its a black hole of death where even entering the place and not getting out of their quickly can cause me to stay there for a while depending how kind the crashes are each time I attempt to log in. Nice to see its becoming that quite literally for other players that these crashes weren't affecting previously! I'm curious if this mob invasion is going to be limited to Ul'dah only or if they eventually will invade Gridania and Limsa.

Jinko

Also a bit disappointed in Gridania: New city looking... very similar to current version (not to mention small but that might be due to it being a city hub and they want people to spread out into old city when not getting quests/company stuff) but Old City looks like a completely new entity, seems like the names should be reversed lol.

I have always liked Gridania's set up although it is a bit spread out, so making it smaller is a good idea.

Limsa has the worst design imo its like you are endlessly running round in circles which much of the time you are :p

Watching it properly this time, loving what they have done with the quest & Journal UI.

Some interesting info on AoE from one of the mods.

Happy Friday everyone!

In A Realm Reborn we will be implementing a system for raid dungeon bosses and other big baddies where an AoE range display will be shown as they are charging up to perform their attacks, and after a couple of seconds everything in range will be hit (hint: MOVE!). Similar to the suggestions in this thread, it is very possible to have the same kind of system for players in the future, so the development team will keep this in mind.

As an aside, in A Realm Reborn the buffing range is extremely wide and has been set to 40m, so if you are in a dungeon you will be able to cast the spells on all party members easily, so no more players getting out of range of Stoneskin and other enhancements

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/56873-Area-of-Effect-Display-Markers?p=872759#post872759

Jijidasu

There has been a lot of controversy in the alpha regarding how AA clashes with the new lighting system. Basically it creates a rough texture similar to that seen on women who have poor skin complexion but pile on makeup, kind of gives a sandpaper effect.

These were posted on 2ch. Not sure of the origins but it they are breaking rules I'll remove them.

cRATM.jpg

Left: current FFXIV. Uneffective, no sense of solidity. Looks pretty.
Middle: aFFXIV. Actually the same normal map as current FFXIV. Has problem with lighting (bug) and thus looks rough.
Right: From beta onwards. Adjusted normal map, texture maps are all the same (as prior).

ehF4k.jpg

Kandinsky

So umm... reactivation is locked atm? I wanna check dat end of the world too SE D:

Also, can I have a PM with the video/screens please, thanks.

Jinko

Yea thats alpha skin is pretty ugly, looks like a burn victim :S

It's hardly a big deal if its being fixed in beta tho.

ZiZ

was this posted by some S-E representative? how would a 2ch poster know that it will be fixed in the Beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom