• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Won't be able to play again until tonight. My video card decided that it was a great time to up and die so I'll be messing around with that for a bit.

valenti said:
MMOs take way too much of your time..so I stopped ._.

This game is designed to be solo friendly and not be such a huge time sink. If you know you can't control yourself though, good idea to get out :lol

Ronok

After some group leves, me and Eithne Rain decided it was time to go node collecting. Anyway, we finally got all the way up to Ishgard, and the view is awesome. Can't wait for it to open. :D

QFq88.jpg

Salaadin

Im thinking of editing the GAF spreadsheet down some so its easier to navigate and maybe add more to it. Maybe a tab for each server? That way we can get rid of the Server Preference column and maybe add a Comments section on the end so people can list any crafting items or gear they are looking for so we can help eachother out in that aspect. What do you guys think?

Itd also be great if mostly everyone can flesh out their info and get it all current too before I change anything.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

Zomba13

Fuck that gridania leve with the moles. Who the hell thought it was agood idea to make a leve where you get ambushed by 5 moles, all attacking you at once all in a group. I mean fuck, you need a big group just to handle that on 1 star.

Teknoman said:
Lisa needs braces.

I played WoW for 5 years with the same name and nobody said anything. 2 days in FFXIV and its all I hear :lol

Does anyone know if there is a shortcut key for looking in someones bazaar? I went into the Dunes last night and it took forever to browse stuff. Would be nice if I could select a retainer and just hit some button to shop.

zlatko

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Fuck that gridania leve with the moles. Who the hell thought it was agood idea to make a leve where you get ambushed by 5 moles, all attacking you at once all in a group. I mean fuck, you need a big group just to handle that on 1 star.

After you die, the moles seperate and don't all link once you hit one. Basically you die once, un weak, then just go back and try to fight them one/two at a time.

Zomba13

One more thing, Whats up with mobs evading so many of my spear attacks? I get a fair few misses which I guess is ok (even though I have a lot more in dex than any other stat) but most of the time it's evades by the enemy, not misses. Pretty annoying as I didn't have this much trouble with Lancer in the beta.

EDIT: Did they really need to keep the corridors of Gridania full of high level mobs around the level 10 leve areas? I mean really, not only do I have to worry about the mobs I have to fight for the leve but also every other mob that can 1 hit me?

zlatko

Banned
Zomba13 said:
One more thing, Whats up with mobs evading so many of my spear attacks? I get a fair few misses which I guess is ok (even though I have a lot more in dex than any other stat) but most of the time it's evades by the enemy, not misses. Pretty annoying as I didn't have this much trouble with Lancer in the beta.

It works both ways for Pugilist. In beta they rarely evade so they couldn't use the skill Haymaker. Now I can proc it often against enemies.

Best bet is to pump in a lot of dex when you level and buy +acc gear.

Thoraxes

zlatko said:
It works both ways for Pugilist. In beta they rarely evade so they couldn't use the skill Haymaker. Now I can proc it often against enemies.

Best bet is to pump in a lot of dex when you level and buy +acc gear.
That's what i've been doing even with my MRD. I've been doing 3 DEX, 1 VIT, and 2 STR per level, and it seems that I only miss once or twice while killing an enemy instead of the million times I was when I had a different stat distribution.

Also, is it me, or did crafting get easier? Or maybe I understand it better?
I managed to get goldsmithing from 1-8 in an hour last night, and I just could not believe how fast that went.

Maybe I got lucky or something?

Sallokin

Salaadin said:
Im thinking of editing the GAF spreadsheet down some so its easier to navigate and maybe add more to it. Maybe a tab for each server? That way we can get rid of the Server Preference column and maybe add a Comments section on the end so people can list any crafting items or gear they are looking for so we can help eachother out in that aspect. What do you guys think?

Itd also be great if mostly everyone can flesh out their info and get it all current too before I change anything.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

I think those are some really great ideas. I just fleshed out most of my info. Will add new jobs as I attempt them.

V_Arnold

AMD Phenom II 550+ 3,0ghz
ATI HD4850 1gb vram
2gb DDR3 @ 1333 mhz

Win7 64bit, 1440*900

Is this going to be enough? The Alpha test ran HORRIBLY on it, but in that time, there were no graphical options.

zlatko

Banned
Thoraxes said:
That's what i've been doing even with my MRD. I've been doing 3 DEX, 1 VIT, and 2 STR per level, and it seems that I only miss once or twice while killing an enemy instead of the million times I was when I had a different stat distribution.

Also, is it me, or did crafting get easier? Or maybe I understand it better?
I managed to get goldsmithing from 1-8 in an hour last night, and I just could not believe how fast that went.

Maybe I got lucky or something?

No you are right crafting is much easier. The rate of failure is lowered, exp gained is great, and all around I have leveled several crafts to 10 or higher. Alchemy is especially easy and cheap to get to 10. 1 fire shard, 1 muddy watter = distilled water. You can get 1-10 Alchemy doing that alone.

Cathcart

Zomba13 said:
EDIT: Did they really need to keep the corridors of Gridania full of high level mobs around the level 10 leve areas? I mean really, not only do I have to worry about the mobs I have to fight for the leve but also every other mob that can 1 hit me?

Seriously do not do rank 10 leves in Gridania. Go to another city. Those wolves are ridiculous and those land...fish...things are even worse.

Zomba13

I have to say, one of the things SE got right in this game is the crafting. Not too hard, not too easy and a lot better than XI's system even if it takes longer. There's a lot more control and less chance. It's really quite addicting.

jiggle

WTF
apparently earrings equipped on Hyur Highlander are completely invisible
any other race does this also?
I know the were visible on Lalas
i feel cheated

Decay24

Neo Member
I just ran by somebody outside Gridania wearing the Garlond Goggles. Probably swiped a code from Gamestop or something (employee)

Jinko

I been playing around with fishing it drove me up the wall to start with but found this which explains the text you get a bit better.

Thought I'd share it with you guys.

- The fish has taken a great deal of line = you are so far off from the mark that you might as well cry.

-The fish is taking line = Compared to your last try, you’re farther away!

-You take in some line = Compared to your last try, you’re getting closer!

-You take in a great deal of line = Your so close!

-The fish has tired but you still cannot reel it in = Your like, right on the border of catching that fish, one more jig a little further in the right direction and it’s yours.

-You catch the fish! = Pretty self explanatory...

Firehead

Jinko said:
I been playing around with fishing it drove me up the wall to start with but found this which explains the text you get a bit better.

Thought I'd share it with you guys.
Thank you! That's kinda why I ended up leaving - to figure out how the fishing works. Now to get back to the game.

Sallokin

Decay24 said:
I just ran by somebody outside Gridania wearing the Garlond Goggles. Probably swiped a code from Gamestop or something (employee)

It baffles me that something as useful as the goggles weren't included in the CE. Has anyone seen anybody wearing the boots you get from FFXI? I was wondering what they do exactly.

careksims

Sallokin said:
It baffles me that something as useful as the goggles weren't included in the CE. Has anyone seen anybody wearing the boots you get from FFXI? I was wondering what they do exactly.

I've seen quite a few. They seem to give you bursts of speed.

Gravijah

I hope they don't make all the female chars armor all sexified this time. How is the armor looking on the Miqo'te? I remember some of the Mithra armor was... yeah. I WANT TO BE CUTE DAMN IT!

LaneDS

So if I registered my XIII code back in March on my MEMBERS account, do I have to link that particular MEMBERS account with my S-E account to get the gauntlets?

I'd do that, but when I try and link the MEMBERS (yay caps) account with the S-E one it doesn't work. While I can go back to March 16th and see exactly the e-mail address and username I have for it, when I enter my e-mail address to try and recover the password it says it's invalid.

Can I skip the MEMBERS linking business and just create a new account linked to my S-E account and re-enter the XIII code there? Or will that not work since it's a one time use?

Either way, what a horribly dumb system. Just writing the above was painful.

daebo

Finally got a chance to go out and explore... Is the golden Bazaar where the auction house will be? I'm running around it and can't find anything to buy lol

Sallokin said:
I read that they let you run 25% faster when not in a combat stance, for 15 minutes out of every 24 hours

Cmagus

it baffles me why they have anima for teleporting for a game that has no towns its the only way to get around especially when gathering supplies for crafting yet im out of anima and pretty much gotta run everything sigh

gillty

Banned
Sallokin said:
Unlike the Onion Helmet the Goggles are limited to 1 character and have limited charges not much use other than leveling a little faster in an attempt catch up with the CE players.

J-Rod

Does anyone know if there were more options in the character creation menu compared to the beta? I'd love to give my taru a beard.

Salaadin

Ok, changed the spreadsheet a little.

-Tabs on the bottom now separate the servers. I have no idea if those who originally voted one way actually ended up on the server they voted for so you might want to check and see if youre in the right place. I only created enough tabs for the servers that were voted for. Itd be too jumbled if I made a tab for every existing server.
-If you initially voted "wherever Gaf goes", I stuck you on the Lindblum sheet.
-Anyone who voted "Doesnt Care" or "Undecided" got lumped into a single sheet on the end. If you initially voted this way and wish to change it, thats where you can find yourself. Copy and paste yourself wherever you want to be.
-If you need to add another tab for your server, use the plus sign (+) in the bottom right and then rename the sheet to your server name by clicking the little down arrow on the sheet.
-Theres also a column at the very end for any comments, suggestions, or item requests so we can help eachother out.

URL is still the same:

This makes it a little easier to sort by names, cities, etc without the server names falling out of order.

J-Rod said:
Does anyone know if there were more options in the character creation menu compared to the beta? I'd love to give my taru a beard.
I looked for my highlander and didnt see any. I saw others report that they noticed nothing new either. SE is supposed to let us change hairstyles later but they didnt say if this included beards or not :p

Sallokin

Valru said:
Unlike the Onion Helmet the Goggles are limited to 1 character and have limited charges not much use other than leveling a little faster in an attempt catch up with the CE players.

Ah, well that does make sense. I guess I don't feel too left out then. Thanks for the info.

sabin1001

Londa said:
Here you go, the lady didn't listen to me. Kept saying region and not country like a bot.

seissues by Londaluu, on Flickr

Hey Londa, hope you don't mind, but I tweeted your image to one of Square's lead PR people and here's what she had to say (she thought I was the one having the problem, hence why she asks me to let her know).

"Sorry for the trouble... I checked in with our CS and it seems they're fixing the problem. LMK how it turns out!"

I'll PM you her handle so you can follow up if you need more help.

Bento

Me and my friend are currently online on Lindblum, anyone online to hand out some Pearls? : |

Send a tell to Baflear Rosenburg

zlatko

Banned
I'm already starting to feel worn out playing this game. :/

I just want better equipment for my level. No Auction House, and /shing doesn't get me anywhere. NPCS prices are through the roof and aren't really selling "useful" equipment for the right levels.

So I bite the bullet to craft. I'm Pugilist so leather working will make most of the optimal gear for my class. Level it to about 12. Am I ready to make a sheepskin harness? Nope you need items from Alchemy and armor smith and have to quarry up some bugs. One of the ingridients for the alchemy piece is from a fairly rare type of monster (Roselet) and you need 4 of it with a drop rate of 7%. Farm them for about 2 hours. Okay you got your item, you make it with those 4. You finally get to making a harness. :D Now I should be able to make the other pieces in the set right.....right? No! You need level 21 armorsmith to make the nails for the shoes.

This is not the type of MMORPG I want to play. I want to group up, fight monsters, level up, learn abilities, etc but instead I'm basically having my arm twisted to level all crafts all the time. It makes sense the leves have the 36 cool down, because in those 36 hours they want you to craft like a maniac.

/rant

Edit: :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Why give me the touch up option at the end of a craft? Why not just say "Would you like to fail even though you finished the item?" I had 34 durability left, clicked touch up once, and it murdered the whole 34 left and botched the synth. GOOD SHIT!

Zomba13

zlatko said:
I'm already starting to feel worn out playing this game. :/

I just want better equipment for my level. No Auction House, and /shing doesn't get me anywhere. NPCS prices are through the roof and aren't really selling "useful" equipment for the right levels.

So I bite the bullet to craft. I'm Pugilist so leather working will make most of the optimal gear for my class. Level it to about 12. Am I ready to make a sheepskin harness? Nope you need items from Alchemy and armor smith and have to quarry up some bugs. One of the ingridients for the alchemy piece is from a fairly rare type of monster (Roselet) and you need 4 of it with a drop rate of 7%. Farm them for about 2 hours. Okay you got your item, you make it with those 4. You finally get to making a harness. :D Now I should be able to make the other pieces in the set right.....right? No! You need level 21 armorsmith to make the nails for the shoes.

This is not the type of MMORPG I want to play. I want to group up, fight monsters, level up, learn abilities, etc but instead I'm basically having my arm twisted to level all crafts all the time. It makes sense the leves have the 36 cool down, because in those 36 hours they want you to craft like a maniac.

/rant

Edit: :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Why give me the touch up option at the end of a craft? Why not just say "Would you like to fail even though you finished the item?" I had 34 durability left, clicked touch up once, and it murdered the whole 34 left and botched the synth. GOOD SHIT!
I agree with the mats for crafting things. The crafting system is great though but needing so many crafts leveled with so many mats from other crafts is annoying, especially with the lack of an AH and the ludicrous prices on the NPC shops. I wanted to make a Bronze chainmail but needed so many stuff from other crafts I just gave up.

Kronotech

Londa said:
Played with my character a little yesterday. Here she is.

Lolo Landerlu by Londaluu, on Flickr

BTW, Thanks gaf for all your help.

Londa, the screenshot looks very clear. What are your PC specs, if I may ask?

zlatko said:

I was also looking at taking up Leatherworking. I'm guessing Alchemy and Armorsmith are the other 2 that are needed for success?

Cathcart

zlatko said:
!
I really think you should just come back when the PS3 version is out. By then a lot of crafters will have leveled up and you'll have an easier time getting gear. Running leves with friends is a great way to make a lot of money and doesn't involve any crafting and then you can spend that money on crafted gear. Plus by then maybe there will be a better system in place for the market ward.

I don't think the intention for this game is that every character has to level a ton of jobs, but early on it kind of rewards that type of play. In six months I don't think crafting will be necessary if it's not your thing, just get in a good LS and make money doing the stuff you like.

The 36 hour cooldown doesn't bother me much. Last night partying with some GAF folks I used TWO of my leves and shared a bunch of others and ended up making 40k over a few hours. It was a lot of fun. If you find a few people to run leves with you can easily fill in a lot of that 36 hours without crafting. If you do have some free time after that, who says you have to craft? You can solo grind or do a gathering job and get all of those crafters to buy mats off of you.

Torquill

sabin1001 said:
Hey Londa, hope you don't mind, but I tweeted your image to one of Square's lead PR people and here's what she had to say (she thought I was the one having the problem, hence why she asks me to let her know).

"Sorry for the trouble... I checked in with our CS and it seems they're fixing the problem. LMK how it turns out!"

I'll PM you her handle so you can follow up if you need more help.
Is that Sonia? Being all helpful. :)

rSpooky

So anyone can help me out plz.
Macro's how the F do they work?
What if I want my wifes conjuror to click a button to target me ( in group) and then cure.

I tried all kinds of combo's and I cannot make it to work, I almost had it but then it complaints that it cannot do actions not assigned to the actionbar, but it is assigns so I dunno.
Any suggestions?

Any good macro "buffs" here?

Jinko

Ok so I came up with an idea.

We should make a website for everyones character/retainers that we can update what they sell and how much in what ward and city etc.

This way if someone in the guild want a new piece of armour/weapon/mats they will beable to look at the site and see who has what.

Obviously it's not guna work 100% because other people will browse the bazaars and buy from them, but it's got to be better than what we have at the moment.

What ya think ?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Ok so I came up with an idea.

We should make a website for everyones character/retainers that we can update what they sell and how much in what ward and city etc.

This way if someone in the guild want a new piece of armour/weapon/mats they will beable to look at the site and see who has what.

Obviously it's not guna work 100% because other people will browse the bazaars and buy from them, but it's got to be better than what we have at the moment.

What ya think ?
That's not a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom