• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Wow those new screens are amazing, nice use of colour aswell on the tents not over done, the one with all the foilage is really nicd.

omlet

Kinda fun messing around with some of those free relics, but really all it did in the end was depress me at how terrible the stat budgeting on MNK's relic is compared to the other relics. I hope that sad, sad weapon gets an overhaul in 2.0. :(

Never got past dungeon speedruns for my relic, but I don't regret that too much since I decided to focus on something else (because relic quest will be in 2.0), and we pulled off a hardmode Darnus win with 4 days to spare. That was a blast. Often times literally. Don't think there was a better way to wrap up my 13 months spent in 1.0.

darnus03.jpg

Who's getting hype? ME That's who

It's difficult, but so far I have been managing to not get too hype so I can enjoy the break (chance to catch up on PS3 and PSP games and try out GW2)!

NinjaJesus

Finally got a Curtana. Not sure why, but I always kind of assumed the Holy Shield came with the Curtana? Can anyone confirm if you can get the Holy Shield from the bed as well?

Allard

Finally got a Curtana. Not sure why, but I always kind of assumed the Holy Shield came with the Curtana? Can anyone confirm if you can get the Holy Shield from the bed as well?

Its separate for this event. In the actual relic quest though they come as a pair. You still have a chance at the shield each time you check the bed (after 30 minutes of sleeping).

omlet

The shield is package deal only when completing the actual quest. Tooth fairy will not give both together, keep checking under that pillow.

NinjaJesus

Its separate for this event. In the actual relic quest though they come as a pair. You still have a chance at the shield each time you check the bed (after 30 minutes of sleeping).

The shield is package deal only when completing the actual quest. Tooth fairy will not give both together, keep checking under that pillow.

Ah, okay. Thanks. Just need Holy Shield and Gae Bolg then.

Allard

Do we get to keep the relics? Might have someone at home sign in to my account lol.

Nope, you can even delete your character and it will still be around in 2.0 because the maintenance on the 1st was the final save state (for all files). Everything we are doing now is like some bizarro copy of our characters while our real ones are already in stasis. We could kill our characters, win the lottery (relics), get every achievement manageable and when we wake up in 2.0 it will be like none of it happened... because it was all a dream! (that you started on November 1st).

Nakazato

Nope, you can even delete your character and it will still be around in 2.0 because the maintenance on the 1st was the final save state (for all files). Everything we are doing now is like some bizarro copy of our characters while our real ones are already in stasis. We could kill our characters, win the lottery (relics), get every achievement manageable and when we wake up in 2.0 it will be like none of it happened... because it was all a dream! (that you started on November 1st).

Damn ok thank you :'(

Sofo

Kinda fun messing around with some of those free relics, but really all it did in the end was depress me at how terrible the stat budgeting on MNK's relic is compared to the other relics. I hope that sad, sad weapon gets an overhaul in 2.0. :(
I think MNK relic has the problem that it needs to compensate for the Accuracy loss from Garuda's Talons, and since it also ups the cap for your stat-caps, makes it really hard to gear it properly. Thankfully they said they would lower that stat-cap, thus making our double-melds more effective in reaching it (and not needing crazy triples). In my opinion, MNK is one of the most demanding relics so far, in terms of gear, but I don't think the stats in the weapon itself require changing. I myself don't like accuracy rings on melees that aren't PLD or WAR (since a missed combo can mean loss of hate generated), but I wonder if they'll be more common in 2.0, like they were in FFXI.

Same thing happens with BLM in a way, but BLM gear can be swapped around more easily. It has 0 Magic Accuracy, but it's way easier reaching the 450 number in it.

got very lucky yesterday and got 4 unique relics in 4 tries =)

I'm 6/7 now. They all look cool, but the WAR one, imho.

....will tackle the bow today ^^

Riposte

2.0 OT subtitle suggestions.

I've been slowly mulling it over. Right now it is somewhere between a reference to a Phoenix Down being used or the biblical rapture (as a reference to XIV's codename).

Sofo

Thanks for sharing! Loved it. They're doing it exactly as I hoped. Things look different, yet still familiar, and annoying areas are becoming less annoying, from what we can see a little. Also Gridania has gotten so much better, much better light (have we seen nighttime in the videos) and to be honest, feels fresh, which is much needed!

Nakazato

2.0 OT subtitle suggestions.

I've been slowly mulling it over. Right now it is somewhere between a reference to a Phoenix Down being used or the biblical rapture (as a reference to XIV's codename).

Ffxiv |OT| It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Ffxiv |OT| May your double and triple melds be relevant.

Ffxiv 2.0 |OT| The Re-Up

Ffxiv 2.0 |OT| we have the technology to rebuild

Ffxiv 2.0 |OT| Giving Ffxiv a phenoix down.

Ffxiv 2.0 |ot| The end is the beginning.

Off the top of my head on 2 hours of sleep Ughh.

Munba

Like the part where the stairs go down to the lake. And love the music... very hobbiton-esque :D

It has already a really nice atmosphere.

omlet

I think MNK relic has the problem that it needs to compensate for the Accuracy loss from Garuda's Talons, and since it also ups the cap for your stat-caps, makes it really hard to gear it properly. Thankfully they said they would lower that stat-cap, thus making our double-melds more effective in reaching it (and not needing crazy triples). In my opinion, MNK is one of the most demanding relics so far, in terms of gear, but I don't think the stats in the weapon itself require changing. I myself don't like accuracy rings on melees that aren't PLD or WAR (since a missed combo can mean loss of hate generated), but I wonder if they'll be more common in 2.0, like they were in FFXI.

Same thing happens with BLM in a way, but BLM gear can be swapped around more easily. It has 0 Magic Accuracy, but it's way easier reaching the 450 number in it.

The accuracy loss from Garuda's or Lt. Hooks is painful, but the real kick in the nads is the +70MP and the +30 Evasion.

The +70 MP is useful for a MNK for all of about 6 seconds (two ticks of Fists of _____), only in long fights where you run out of MP, and then that "bonus" might as well not even be on the weapon anymore. Once you use up that bit of your MP pool, that stat bonus is useless until you have time to stop fighting and let your MP refill to max.

The +30 Evasion is another cruel joke because it's not enough to really ever help you survive a meaningful fight. With a good tank you should never be pulling hate (for long enough for it to matter anyway), and if you're fighting something with melee AOE, it's not going to help you much--pretty much only when you use Featherfoot anyway. Monk is also probably the worst melee job to solo on (squishy, combos all require running circles around target, has to rest MP back, etc.), so why is this stat even on here?

The 60AP/+tackle dmg/+Refresh are all useful, but compared to the other relics which, perhaps besides WAR, have only 0-1 questionable stat budget allocations (the -enmity on BRD, or Flare DoT for BLM, for example), and /sigh.

Like you say, gearing for Sphairai's DPS with MNK's gear options is demanding; even if I had trimeld STR gloves I wouldn't be able to statcap while retaining comfortable accuracy levels. You kinda really need Darklight body or you're probably better off using Garuda's if the difference in accuracy means you can wear an extra STR or INT ring or two (I don't think the small boost in base DPS+AP on Sphairai would make up for the loss of the stat rings, but I haven't tested).

I know YoshiP has said MNK is probably getting the most significant overhaul of all the jobs for 2.0 due to battle mechanics changing... I just hope that means said changes warrant modification of Sphairai's stats as well. MNK really is in a pretty unhappy place in 1.0, because it's an odd hybrid melee job that constantly has to drain its MP to do any competitive damage, and is further limited by anything that isn't weak to fire/wind/stone. Monk is the job I wanted to main in XIV, but there's simply nothing to main it for besides AV (which I wasn't interested in grinding a bajillion times for Darklight) that a competent and geared DRG or BLM can't do as well or better (well, I do hear MNK is effective on IfritX). I enjoy playing all the jobs except WAR, so had plenty to do and it's not like I just sat there with my arms crossed pouting about SE's design direction for the job and MNK being shunned by the playerbase, but it's still frustrating. I hope the combat system and content design in 2.0 is a little more MNK-friendly.

Cmagus

New letter for final event

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=1d5fa963bf9ad32fca91f4715ccfe18580c8608d

"Leaders of the Eorzean Alliance have issued a clarion call, petitioning all able adventurers to lend their strength to the battle that will determine the fate of the realm.

In order to rally the greatest possible number of adventurers for the final reckoning, the game will be opened to all FINAL FANTASY XIV Service Account holders between Thursday, November 8, 2012, at midnight and Sunday, November 11, 2012, at the same hour (PST). You will be able to log in* during this time regardless of your subscription status.
* With the exception of The Lodestone and the official forums.
* Any progress made will not carry over to A Realm Reborn.
Adventurers of all races, origins, and creeds. Let it be known that the forces of the Eorzean Alliance, formed of the combined might of Limsa Lominsa, Ul’dah, and Gridania, have presently left the wilds of Thanalan en route to the Carteneau Flats, there to engage in a decisive confrontation with the VIIth Imperial Legion of the Garlean Empire.

Yet this battle is but the means to an end, for the preservation of the realm from Dalamud is our true objective. Joining our host in the capacity of military tactician is Archon Louisoix, who shall helm the last-ditch effort to repel the descending lesser moon. To ensure the success of this mission—and the continued survival of all life upon Eorzea—it is imperative that the Garlean interlopers are put to rout.

Be fairly warned that the enemy is no less determined than we. Resolved to hold its ground, the VIIth Imperial Legion has reportedly summoned reinforcements from Castrum Novum in a move to consolidate its defenses. Should troops from the imperial stronghold be permitted to join the fray, our cause would be dealt a grievous blow. As such, we have dire need of courageous souls who would meet the auxiliary Garlean force in southern Mor Dhona and prevent its merging with the main host.

Our beloved Eorzea lies upon the brink of destruction, and she needs all of her champions to rise to her aid. And so we beseech you, the adventurers of the realm, to gather your strength! Join the battle, and fight to reforge the fate of Eorzea!

Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn
Chief Admiral, The Maelstrom

Raubahn Aldynn
Flame General, The Immortal Flames

Kan-E-Senna
Elder Seedseer, The Order of the Twin Adder
Hour of Reckoning
Saturday, November 10, 2012, at 10:00 p.m. – Sunday, November 11, 2012, at midnight (PST)

Place of Reckoning
Brittlebark, Mor Dhona

So for those who can make it are we gonna organize a LS meetup to finish this together?

desu

Uploaded a few more screens, nothing to amazing except this one player taking pretty awesome 3.819px × 1.042px widescreen pictures!

Zafir

Updated my client to take a last look, but my new pc is playing it at 10FPS... :/

Edit: Turned off AO and lowered drawing to 9/4 and now its running smooth at 60fps... Hope 2.0 has better optimisation.

kiryogi

Banned
New letter for final event

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=1d5fa963bf9ad32fca91f4715ccfe18580c8608d

"Leaders of the Eorzean Alliance have issued a clarion call, petitioning all able adventurers to lend their strength to the battle that will determine the fate of the realm.

In order to rally the greatest possible number of adventurers for the final reckoning, the game will be opened to all FINAL FANTASY XIV Service Account holders between Thursday, November 8, 2012, at midnight and Sunday, November 11, 2012, at the same hour (PST). You will be able to log in* during this time regardless of your subscription status.
* With the exception of The Lodestone and the official forums.
* Any progress made will not carry over to A Realm Reborn.
Adventurers of all races, origins, and creeds. Let it be known that the forces of the Eorzean Alliance, formed of the combined might of Limsa Lominsa, Ul’dah, and Gridania, have presently left the wilds of Thanalan en route to the Carteneau Flats, there to engage in a decisive confrontation with the VIIth Imperial Legion of the Garlean Empire.

Yet this battle is but the means to an end, for the preservation of the realm from Dalamud is our true objective. Joining our host in the capacity of military tactician is Archon Louisoix, who shall helm the last-ditch effort to repel the descending lesser moon. To ensure the success of this mission—and the continued survival of all life upon Eorzea—it is imperative that the Garlean interlopers are put to rout.

Be fairly warned that the enemy is no less determined than we. Resolved to hold its ground, the VIIth Imperial Legion has reportedly summoned reinforcements from Castrum Novum in a move to consolidate its defenses. Should troops from the imperial stronghold be permitted to join the fray, our cause would be dealt a grievous blow. As such, we have dire need of courageous souls who would meet the auxiliary Garlean force in southern Mor Dhona and prevent its merging with the main host.

Our beloved Eorzea lies upon the brink of destruction, and she needs all of her champions to rise to her aid. And so we beseech you, the adventurers of the realm, to gather your strength! Join the battle, and fight to reforge the fate of Eorzea!

Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn
Chief Admiral, The Maelstrom

Raubahn Aldynn
Flame General, The Immortal Flames

Kan-E-Senna
Elder Seedseer, The Order of the Twin Adder
Hour of Reckoning
Saturday, November 10, 2012, at 10:00 p.m. – Sunday, November 11, 2012, at midnight (PST)

Place of Reckoning
Brittlebark, Mor Dhona

So for those who can make it are we gonna organize a LS meetup to finish this together?

I'm on it, will schedule anyway. . . but weekends >_< hrm.

Shouta

I know YoshiP has said MNK is probably getting the most significant overhaul of all the jobs for 2.0 due to battle mechanics changing... I just hope that means said changes warrant modification of Sphairai's stats as well. MNK really is in a pretty unhappy place in 1.0, because it's an odd hybrid melee job that constantly has to drain its MP to do any competitive damage, and is further limited by anything that isn't weak to fire/wind/stone. Monk is the job I wanted to main in XIV, but there's simply nothing to main it for besides AV (which I wasn't interested in grinding a bajillion times for Darklight) that a competent and geared DRG or BLM can't do as well or better (well, I do hear MNK is effective on IfritX). I enjoy playing all the jobs except WAR, so had plenty to do and it's not like I just sat there with my arms crossed pouting about SE's design direction for the job and MNK being shunned by the playerbase, but it's still frustrating. I hope the combat system and content design in 2.0 is a little more MNK-friendly.

Most jobs kind of need adjusting to be more full of options and things to do really. But yeah, MNK is definitely the worst out because of the design. MP based is a really odd choice and having to base all that damage on elemental fists is rough. Basing MP restored on dodging and a single attack is definitely not enough to keep it either and the survivability is a joke because evasion doesn't do anything.

Allard

Updated my client to take a last look, but my new pc is playing it at 10FPS... :/

Edit: Turned off AO and lowered drawing to 9/4 and now its running smooth at 60fps... Hope 2.0 has better optimisation.

AO in 1.0 is ridiculously unoptimized POS, even on my 660ti I can't get the game to run higher then 30FPS with it is turned on, its one of the main things they were targeting for optimization when designing the new graphics engine, supposedly it is a lot better now and since AO is implemented in some of the alpha video 'leaks' and it's smooth as silk while someone was doing a live stream I can already tell its significantly better. Also 'drawing' quality is just a numerical number based on over/under sampling the resolution. Drawing quality high basically oversamples the resolution by 2-4 times. You are better off doing standard drawing quality (with maybe one notch above it if you got a good graphics card) and using a higher form of AA instead. In 2.0 the graphics configuration can be accessed within the client too so you can mess around with your optimization without logging out of the game :).

Fake Edit: Anyways nice to finally see a new official Alpha video this time touring Gridania. If you saw the original Alpha 'leak' most of this isn't new but what was new was a bit surprising, looks like there will be river travel on a boat (more then likely automated) and Gridania now has an actual dock :O.

Zafir

AO in 1.0 is ridiculously unoptimized POS, even on my 660ti I can't get the game to run higher then 30FPS with it is turned on, its one of the main things they were targeting for optimization when designing the new graphics engine, supposedly it is a lot better now and since AO is implemented in some of the alpha video 'leaks' and it's smooth as silk while someone was doing a live stream I can already tell its significantly better. Also 'drawing' quality is just a numerical number based on over/under sampling the resolution. Drawing quality high basically oversamples the resolution by 2-4 times. You are better off doing standard drawing quality (with maybe one notch above it if you got a good graphics card) and using a higher form of AA instead. In 2.0 the graphics configuration can be accessed within the client too so you can mess around with your optimization without logging out of the game :).

Fake Edit: Anyways nice to finally see a new official Alpha video this time touring Gridania. If you saw the original Alpha 'leak' most of this isn't new but what was new was a bit surprising, looks like there will be river travel on a boat (more then likely automated) and Gridania now has an actual dock :O.
Yeah 660ti is what I have.

2.0 seems like it'll be an improvement then. I hope they've fixed the whole shutting when you alt tab thing too, that was another annoyance of mine.

Allard

Yeah 660ti is what I have.

2.0 seems like it'll be an improvement then. I hope they've fixed the whole shutting when you alt tab thing too, that was another annoyance of mine.

Alt tabbing issue has been confirmed to be gone, furthermore they mentioned proper full screen and windowed-Fullscreen will be in as well. Yoshida is a PC MMO player and he has been very frank about the short comings from the original release when it comes to standard preferences for playing on PC :)

Ugh, seriously? What's the sense in that?

Probably just want people to come on at the right time to see the end of the world and not wait/participate in the event for hours on end till you get tired and need to log off. Does suck for EST folks though lol, 1:00 AM to 3:00 AM, but good thing its on a Saturday so a decent amount of people won't need to wake up super early. We got a new 'trailer' releasing on the end of the world (I am almost willing to bet its going to be the full FMV CG intro to 2.0 that has been eluded to in trailers since the first half directly depicts the fall of Dalamud at the end of the clash the reckoning alludes to.) and we also got the producer letter 2 hours later, hopefully we get some good new stuff to look at and he starts detailing the beta client and shows off new stuff from other areas.

Salaadin

Alt tabbing issue has been confirmed to be gone, furthermore they mentioned proper full screen and windowed-Fullscreen will be in as well. Yoshida is a PC MMO player and he has been very frank about the short comings from the original release when it comes to standard preferences for playing on PC :)

If you dont mind, can post your specs and just a general idea of how the game runs?

Akuosa

Ugh, seriously? What's the sense in that?
It's just before the servers go down, I'm sure it wont be anything too big, but... it's kinda hard to do an "end of the world" thing that spans for a day, for example. It's a meteor impact, that's the reasoning behind that, 2 hours it's plenty of time already. I get it's frustrating if you can't be online at that time, but there's really no other way to do it if you want the end to be like that.

The event leading to it, with the attacks to the cities and such, it's going on for almost two weeks, that should be enought time for people to experience the change if they can't log just when the servers go boom.

Allard

If you dont mind, can post your specs and just a general idea of how the game runs?

First gen i5 4 core processor 3.2 GHz, 660ti, 4 gig of Ram (upgrading to 8 gigs later this month), SSD for OS (and this game) 120GB, 1 TB SATA data HDD, can't remember my motherboard but its a first gen i5 compatible one so somewhat old but new enough to not be a bottleneck.

My monitor is a viewsonic 120Hz 3D vision capable monitor with a 16:10 aspect ratio. I can bring my resolution to full size at 1050p. Without 3D I can run the game 60+ fps at standard drawing quality, 16XMSAA (or whatever the 16X setting is I forget off hand), depth of field turned on (I am one of the few that likes the effect despite how inefficient it is), and all the other settings set to high except shadows because I don't like the shimmering effect the high version of shadows has. I can do all that near 60 FPS (Oh also I force vertical sync on using Nvidia control panel). With 3D on the FPS jumps around a bit with hovering in the 28-45 FPS range depending on how much geometry is in the environment.

Occasionally I will put the game on my 1080p flatscreen TV and I don't see much of a change in my FPS, 3D or normal gameplay, compared to the monitor version.

Animekatt

Just finished watching the new official alpha video. I'm so proud to be a Gridanian. I just loooove the music and the atmosphere. It reminds me of FFXII somewhat. I really can't wait to try it out myself.

Salaadin

First gen i5 4 core processor 3.2 GHz, 660ti, 4 gig of Ram (upgrading to 8 gigs later this month), SSD for OS (and this game) 120GB, 1 TB SATA data HDD, can't remember my motherboard but its a first gen i5 compatible one so somewhat old but new enough to not be a bottleneck.

My monitor is a viewsonic 120Hz 3D vision capable monitor with a 16:10 aspect ratio. I can bring my resolution to full size at 1050p. Without 3D I can run the game 60+ fps at standard drawing quality, 16XMSAA (or whatever the 16X setting is I forget off hand), depth of field turned on (I am one of the few that likes the effect despite how inefficient it is), and all the other settings set to high except shadows because I don't like the shimmering effect the high version of shadows has. I can do all that near 60 FPS (Oh also I force vertical sync on using Nvidia control panel). With 3D on the FPS jumps around a bit with hovering in the 28-45 FPS range depending on how much geometry is in the environment.

Occasionally I will put the game on my 1080p flatscreen TV and I don't see much of a change in my FPS, 3D or normal gameplay, compared to the monitor version.

We have practically the same rig. This makes me happy. Thanks :D

ZetaEpyon

The time works reasonably well for me (starts at midnight, but on the weekend), and I'm going to attempt to fraps it. We'll see how it goes; my only concern is the amount of space required for 2 hours. :)

Allard

The time works reasonably well for me (starts at midnight, but on the weekend), and I'm going to attempt to fraps it. We'll see how it goes; my only concern is the amount of space required for 2 hours. :)

Feels good being on the west coast, end of the world happens at midnight for me :D. And staying up till 2:00 AM in the morning for the live letter isn't bad either, I am up that late anyways working on writing and watching Toonami :3.

creid

It's just before the servers go down, I'm sure it wont be anything too big, but... it's kinda hard to do an "end of the world" thing that spans for a day, for example. It's a meteor impact, that's the reasoning behind that, 2 hours it's plenty of time already. I get it's frustrating if you can't be online at that time, but there's really no other way to do it if you want the end to be like that.
Yeah, I get it. Just frustrated because I am available Sunday evening, but not 1am-3am Saturday night :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom