• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
End of an Era? I think End of an Era is just the name to the "trailer", the actual song in the trailer is called Answers. At least I think you're taking about the song in the trailer.

I know is answers..

:p
And i mean the whole trailer. compared with COP ending.

Forbiden

Oh my bad, I assumed there was some sort of confusion as to the name of the song...

It's been forever since I watched the ending of CoP, so I wouldn't be able to say easily if End of an Era tops Distant Worlds in that sense, however End of an Era was incredible.

Munba

Beta in jan-feb.. so the release probably around april-may. So far away... :(

So these are new jobs??

ibmS1X6Tdb2Kfe.png

Buccaneer, Dark Knight... mmh

edit;
maybe not, the first is the new GC armour.

Munba

Q24: Once the PvP content is implemented, will we be able to fight Yoshi-P?

A24: There are multiple people from the development team who put a lot of thought into the PvP system and we currently do have plans to implement a system where players will be able to fight against the development team. As an additional note, we have plans for players to be able to fight Wada for an event!

Ahah awesome.

Should have just made a cutscene of everything blowing up that you could log in and watch.

oh my god. Perfect. Best trailer ever. hype as fuck!

I'm making the OT... but you make OTs one week before release.

There should probably be an Alpha/Beta thread too.

A35: Currently we are about two months and two weeks behind schedule compared to the road map that was released on Oct. 14, 2011. The main reason of the delay is the vast amount of adjustments that needed to be taken care of two months ago. While we'd like to stay on schedule, we want to make sure we create a top-tier MMORPG that can compete against the rest of the MMORPGs in the market. Therefore, we wanted to spend as much as time as we need until we are satisfied with the product.

Sorry to keep you all waiting, but we plan on releasing a new roadmap around the end of November/early December.

We're starting to prepare for the Beta Test which we would like to implement at the end of January or early February. However, we are doing our best to make it so we can have the servers open 24 hours to allow for more and more players to participate in the Alpha Test, so please hang in there a bit longer for finalized details.

I have no problem with this. I'm a little sad that I have to wait longer to play this but if they use the time to polish and create a better and more competitive game, then I'm all for it. They are not going to make the same mistake they made with the original FFXIV.

Forbiden

When you say open for all...does this mean all legacy members, or everyone period?

I think that they said the Alpha was simply going to be made available globally but not for all. At least that's the kind of message I got out of it. Hopefully it IS for all, but I wouldn't hold my breath for them to let EVERYONE into the Alpha.

ZetaEpyon

I think that they said the Alpha was simply going to be made available globally but not for all. At least that's the kind of message I got out of it. Hopefully it IS for all, but I wouldn't hold my breath for them to let EVERYONE into the Alpha.

Yeah, this is also more how I understood it, that it would expand beyond Japan, but still be closed. The question was when non-Japanese would get into the alpha, and the on the spot translation of the answer was a little ambiguous.

They said once the alpha reach the aging process where they have the servers on for 24 hours they want to get as many of the current players as possible into the alpha.

Sofo

Beta in jan-feb.. so the release probably around april-may. So far away... :(

So these are new jobs??

ibmS1X6Tdb2Kfe.png

Buccaneer, Dark Knight... mmh

edit;
maybe not, the first is the new GC armour.
Yeah, like you said at least the far left one is LL GC armor. I don't think they're new jobs, but actually gear from new endgame content. Right-most looks kinda Bahamut'ish? With the horns and all. 2nd from the right looks kinda imperial gear. Anyway, it's still all speculation. I loved the live letter (dat arcanist books~) and the trailer was amazing. Loved it and got really emotional over it. My boyfriend cried with it, and he hasn't played since launch, so I think it goes to tell how great the trailer was.

All this aside, does anyone know where I could start an FFXIV blog (non-Lodestone)? For FFXI I used livejournal, when that was the popular thing. I've thought of maybe Wordpress or Blogspot. Boyfriend suggested Tumblr, but those are not that comment-friendly. Anyway, would love some suggestions, thanks! I made a couple of entries on the Lodestone, but kinda hated the formatting and the non-costumization.

Blogspot is probably your best bet if you don't want to do some html coding. It allows a lot of customization.

------------------------

I really think that they have something special here with FFXIV. I would love to see them give players a large opportunity to play the game before it launches, to show their confidence and allow them to make changes based on feedback.

That being said, they can't have too much of an open beta period. They need to properly time this so that the game doesn't come out months and months later.

I think one of the largest game design issues that YoshiP and his team will face is the disparity of content for players. There's a large portion of players who are already max level. Without allowing for 10 more levels or something on launch. This will cause some issues with the economy and balancing of the market power that players will have.

It isn't a cut and clean new game launch, but it isn't the same old game at the same time. I expect a lot of older players will absolutely love the game, and others will quickly run out of new things to do and end up quitting.

I suppose, however, you can just make a new character and experience the game from 1-50 (assuming you've maxed the classes you want to level).

I'm very interested to see how they deal with the blend of new and existing players. I personally left the jobs I wanted to play the most at level 1 so that I could level them through the new game, but I do know a lot of people who have nothing left to play the game with outside of end game content.

Did they mention when the 24 man content would go live? That could be a very big incentive for max level players.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they said they'd be removing the companion system; it's not looking good for them bothering to store what companion you had until they put it back in.

It's odd, I spent most of the time online in the last couple of weeks of XIV just hanging around Uldah complaining about DoH levelling, and I already kinda miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom