• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Yoshi-p going mad.. 50 posts today until now lol.

A lot of the posts mainly seem to be quick answers to some posts in that thread, a lot of which are more personal/anecdotal management philosophies, answers about the timing of the server end and some bits of lore and small 'reaction' posts from some of the comments that may or may not have to do with anything about the game itself. Wonder if Reinheart is going to have a heart attack at all those posts, he was still posting last I looked XD. Thankfully most are small/inconsequential but they are getting wordier as he is going on.

Munba

One of the yoshi's post is very interesting:

。
In Version 1.0, we dropped many tidbits of information that hinted at Dalamud's true nature:

- Dalamud was created by the Allagan Empire and cast into the heavens several millennia ago.
- Eorzea is home to many deities. The beast tribes worship the primals, and the five races (Hyur, Elezen, Miqo'te, Lalafell, Roegadyn) revere the Twelve.
- The van Darnus family is of the blood of ancient Allag, and are the keepers of its secrets.
- An Ishgardian theologian who studied the dragons and their gods was kidnapped by the Empire and taken to the Aurum Vale.
- In the battle with Garuda, the primal says: "This is the price of your folly. The price of using the crystals' power─MY POWER!─to waken the other from slumber.
- The power of the crystals was absorbed by Dalamud.

I don't want to spoil the ARR story, but I can say this:

The dragons of Dravania are classified as a beast tribe. Nidhogg is not a primal, but a king among the dragons. Likewise, Midgardsormr--known as the Keeper of the Lake--while not a primal, is a revered existence among dragonkind. Just as men have worshipped kings throughout history, so too have the dragons.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
If 2.0 is more playable, I might pop the disc back in and give it a go. They should give me a 7 day "Come back and try FFXIV again!" trial.

I remember when I played last it was just too... tedious. Getting to an area to level up/do quests, in and of itself was a huge chore. The UI was not made for a PC. I don't know what it was made for, I could list a million problems with it. There didn't seem to be any... coherence in how they delivered the story. Trading/purchasing was not a thing. It was a beautiful game, but it was not a game I had the energy to play, it took me 30minutes from logging in to actually do anything.

Had it changed by the end? Will 2.0 ball so hard? Tell me yes.

edit: Now I am looking up a good 'change' timeline, and some info on what to expect in 2.0, I'm actually really in the dark.

Kenai

If 2.0 is more playable, I might pop the disc back in and give it a go. They should give me a 7 day "Come back and try FFXIV again!" trial.

I remember when I played last it was just too... tedious. Getting to an area to level up/do quests, in and of itself was a huge chore. The UI was not made for a PC. I don't know what it was made for, I could list a million problems with it. There didn't seem to be any... coherence in how they delivered the story. Trading/purchasing was not a thing. It was a beautiful game, but it was not a game I had the energy to play, it took me 30minutes from logging in to actually do anything.

edit: Now I am looking up a good 'change' timeline, and some info on what to expect in 2.0, I'm actually really in the dark.

I agree with just about everything you said. I bought the CE at a discount, played it on an off for a month, loved some thing but hated many more things, and never went back. Missed a lot of fights, mounts, titles ect that are gone now, I just could not be bothered.

I would love to return to this universe, but I need to know it's worth my time. A trial week would do wonders.

ZetaEpyon

1.x was already incredibly more playable at the end than around launch, and 2.0 should just be a further improvement in that regard. Unlike Tanaka and the original dev team, YoshiP actually plays other MMOs and isn't oblivious to things like a proper PC control scheme.

Presumably, you should get your "trial" chance during the 2.0 beta, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

ebil

FFXIV uses 'human race' to refer to everyone playable, right, not just Hyur?

In that particular quote, yes (YoshiP uses 人間 "people, human being" as opposed to ヒューラン "Hyuran - Hyur" being the particular human-like race in Hydaelyn).

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Thanks for the info Zeta - do you think you could point me to like... a general changelog timeline so I can see how the game changed, and also see what's to be expected in 2.0? I couldn't find anything good

I agree with just about everything you said. I bought the CE at a discount, played it on an off for a month, loved some thing but hated many more things, and never went back. Missed a lot of fights, mounts, titles ect that are gone now, I just could not be bothered.

I would love to return to this universe, but I need to know it's worth my time. A trial week would do wonders.

From Final Fantasy XIV Lodestone:

Between October and December of 2012, we plan to integrate the current service and the coming PlayStation®3 version into the all-new FINAL FANTASY XIV. At this time, a second free trial period will also be offered.

From what I gather they are a little bit behind but they have already stated intentions of having another free trial.

Forbiden

METEOR SURVIVOR

I have to say I really really want one of those. It seems that they are open to the idea of selling them, but I got the impression that they would do this only at like game conventions and stuff, and sadly I live nowhere near any game convention. I would kill for one of those though :(

Sofo

I REALLY want one of those. Would be nice if everyone who obtained legacy status got one.
I agree! Problem is, like with the contests, they seem to be limited to send (at least as far as European countries goes) only to Spain, France, UK and Germany, so I'm worried that even if there's a chance, they might screw us subscribers not living in one of the aforementioned countries.

ZetaEpyon

Thanks for the info Zeta - do you think you could point me to like... a general changelog timeline so I can see how the game changed, and also see what's to be expected in 2.0? I couldn't find anything good

I could have sworn I've seen something like that before, but I'm not finding anything in my bookmarks. Maybe one of the more regular players know of something?

ZetaEpyon

People complained about PS3 players being in the same servers as PC players? Seriously some people on the official forums are just morons...

Anyway, as always is a pleasure to see Yoshida so eager so receive feedback and procide responses. I also like the majority of his ideas. Is my favorite director at SE right now.

It's particularly silly because the reason they use is the infamous "PS2 limitations" excuse from FFXI. It was pretty obvious each time it was used that it was largely just a crutch that the XI dev team trotted out to avoid having to do a lot of effort for seemingly minor things. In retrospect, some of those things that were restricted by "PS2 limitations" ended up being changed or resolved anyway.

However, I really don't see this being an issue as long as YoshiP is running the show for XIV. It's pretty obvious that the level of transparency that he's comfortable with is on a completely different level than the other teams in the past. Top this off with the fact that there's already going to be a completely different UI for PS3 and PC, and worrying about being held back by PS3 support seems even more foolhardy.

Jinko

I wouldn't care less if they kept the PS3 users separate tbh, I think PS3 limitations is a valid point if you ask me, they have their own engine and UI so why not give them their own server aswell ?

Yea you could argue that you want to play with your friends but its the same thing with international servers and regional servers.

I wouldn't care less if they kept the PS3 users separate tbh, I think PS3 limitations is a valid point if you ask me, they have their own engine and UI so why not give them their own server aswell ?

Yea you could argue that you want to play with your friends but its the same thing with international servers and regional servers.

I think the only clear limitation is the fact that the world is separated in smaller areas, but looking at the alpha in the latest producer letters they aren't that small. Also that would have required build partially two different world layouts.

Other limitations like voice chat are mostly stupid since quite some people may be still be able to use 3rd party software on PC for it.

I think of the PS3 like a "minimal PC requeriment" setup.

Jinko

I think of the PS3 like a "minimal PC requeriment" setup.

Yes for now, but in 3 or 4 years its guna look pretty dire, its kind of like comparing PS2 FF11 to PC FF11.

You are totally right though its mostly a visual thing, although several times when things have been requested they have said that they may not beable to incorporate it due to PS3 memory issues.

If its a problem before its released on PS3 it can only get worse, plus they have already got a 20 gb limit in place for the intital install, which although not a major restriction it is one non the less. (it makes me wonder if this could have an impact on future expansions which will obviously effect PC users)

Allard

Yes for now, but in 3 or 4 years its guna look pretty dire, its kind of like comparing PS2 FF11 to PC FF11.

You are totally right though its mostly a visual thing, although several times when things have been requested they have said that they may not beable to incorporate it due to PS3 memory issues.

If its a problem before its released on PS3 it can only get worse, plus they have already got a 20 gb limit in place for the intital install, which although not a major restriction it is one non the less. (it makes me wonder if this could have an impact on future expansions which will obviously effect PC users)

Don't worry over it, treat it like minimum specs period. They would be be more stupid to ignore potential player base and make it PC only after its horrendous launch. If it suffers because of it then so be it, this game wouldn't even get the 'makeover' unless it was releasing on the PS3, and if there is anything stupid in an MMO it is community segregation. Its happening, and there is reasons for it happening. Having said that limitations are not going to be nearly as consequential for this game compared to FFXI. The amount of RAM in the PS2 made basic calculation functions limited, the amount of RAM in this current/past cycle is not going to be even close to as limiting.

Also in regards to that HDD issue... Yoshida specifically mentioned toning down the visuals and assets for the PS3 version so it could be a snugger fit then PC, that already shows PS3 is its own limitation and not a limitation for the PC version, they will tone down subsequent expansions in the future if they think it will be an issue but ONLY for the PS3 version.

One last distinct difference between FFXI and FFXIV, FFXI was based on the PS2 version and the PC EMULATED the PS2 version. Outside of slightly higher textures and ways to brute force the graphics there was minimal to zero difference between the PS2 and PC version. That isn't the case for FFXIV, they made an engine with explicit purpose of hardware scaling that just happened to have a setting that worked on the PS3 (intentionally). That difference alone is night and day difference between the two games.

Jijidasu

This might be me being slightly delusional but I had been thinking that if there ever came a time where the PC side began to suffer enormously because of the PS3 platform they'd shift it over to the next generation of PS hardware. Although this causes mass inconveniences for those playing on PS3 with little desire to upgrade to next generation.

I'm pretty certain that SE have stated they want FFXIV to last a decade at least, a la FFXI. It's going to have a rough time surviving that long on a near-end of life cycle console. They would have to be thinking about long term solutions.

Not to mention the next content patch? (said milestone, take that as you will) after 2.0 launch is DX11 support and so on. Steps in the right direction, at the very least.

On another note, I was expecting a new alpha video last night seeing as we're supposed to get one a week. Perhaps tonight instead.

vazel

Banned
On the other hand, there are those (like Minfilia and others on the Path, or the Ashcrown Consortium) who seek peaceful relations with the tribes. These are more likely to use terms such as primal over eikon. And then there are those who float about in the middle, and simply haven’t given it much thought—kind of like my grandfather who probably wasn’t what I’d call a ‘racist,’ but ended up using terms (that we now deem racist) throughout his life just because that’s what the people around him used.
haha

Sofo

I loved them as well.

Shamelessly posting my new blog post if anyone's interested. As I warned on my last one, this one's based on endgame in 1.0 (brushed through it very lightly, since I didn't want to make it too extense). Hope you guys enjoy!

http://enkredible.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/the-enf-of-an-era-1-0-recap-endgame/

ebil

Interesting stuff. Where are these "Ascians" mentioned in the game? I don't remember reading anything about them.
During the "main" unfinished storyline (lv 30? mission). There's a cutscene involving an Ascian, but they never elaborate on them (since it was left unfinished).

Jinko

Some interesting new areas in the black shroud in that live letter.

Hope they plan to allow all legacy members into alpha, that would be cool :)

Allard

Some interesting new areas in the black shroud in that live letter.

Hope they plan to allow all legacy members into alpha, that would be cool :)

Not likely unless they plan to make lots of new worlds besides the two that are already in place but the letter does seem to imply they hope to make a lot more invites then they were originally planning to when they planned the alpha test, and it is in their best interest (in more ways then one) for them to make beta expansive enough to let all 'legacy' or active subscribers at the end of 1.0 in for testing. 1) to keep communities lasting long enough for what is now likely a very long wait for launch and 2) tests the server and their architecture well enough that it can support all the returning AND new players coming in for launch.

Allard

Audίoboxer;44571096 said:
Yeah can get it for just under £10. I've read the servers are down though, won't that affect my ability to register?

You can't register a copy of FFXIV right now, you probably won't gain access to it till 2.0 is about ready to launch because once you register the game the provided 30 day trial automatically starts and they don't want people to lose the ability to use that while the game is currently offline and isn't charging anyways. Right now you can't even go on the 'old' servers which are going live again tomorrow (but still won't be saving) unless you had an active account after September 30th.

Audioboxer

You can't register a copy of FFXIV right now, you probably won't gain access to it till 2.0 is about ready to launch because once you register the game the provided 30 day trial automatically starts and they don't want people to lose the ability to use that while the game is currently offline and isn't charging anyways. Right now you can't even go on the 'old' servers which are going live again tomorrow (but still won't be saving) unless you had an active account after September 30th.

I now understand this, I guess my real concern is will Square somehow block keys from the old FF14 games when 2.0 hits.

Allard

Audίoboxer;44571834 said:
I now understand this, I guess my real concern is will Square somehow block keys from the old FF14 games when 2.0 hits.

No idea, I honestly don't think its a question that has been asked to the staff or if it has they have never answered. My 'gut' tells me they will honor it but don't take my word for it. Its a question I have a hard time answering to people when its asked because corporate bottomline is part of the reason the game is in the mess that it is, but since Yoshida and his troop have been very honest about winning back players (and they want as many paying customers as possible) I think they will honor it or at least 'will' honor it eventually if its not setup right away.

Audioboxer

No idea, I honestly don't think its a question that has been asked to the staff or if it has they have never answered. My 'gut' tells me they will honor it but don't take my word for it. Its a question I have a hard time answering to people when its asked because corporate bottomline is part of the reason the game is in the mess that it is, but since Yoshida and his troop have been very honest about winning back players (and they want as many paying customers as possible) I think they will honor it or at least 'will' honor it eventually if its not setup right away.

Might take a gamble for £10. No matter how hard I keep trying to like Guild Wars 2, I just don't (bores the shit out of me, and loot drops/loot in general isn't deep enough). Not really in the mood for going back to WoW (awful character models unless you go newer races/dated graphics), so I wanted to give FF14 a punt after the update. Not keen on spending £30+ for AAR and then also paying a monthly fee on top.

I like the Final Fantasy lore, grew up with the games, so I'm hoping AAR is full of fan service and ties to the whole series.

Allard

Audίoboxer;44572251 said:
I like the Final Fantasy lore, grew up with the games, so I'm hoping AAR is full of fan service and ties to the whole series.

You are in luck! Its like the one thing Yoshida kept saying from the start we needed more in FFXIV (almost to the point of obsession). He was name dropping instances from past FF's that was either going to be in ARR or he wanted to add at a later date in an expansion etc. We know a lot of FFIII stuff is in (One whole 24 player raid based around the Crystal Tower concept from FFIII), the whole Dalamud storyline was ripped straight out of FFVII (with obvious original nuances). He changed the old class system to add in job specs based on previous Final Fantasy jobs (Dragoon, White Mage, Paladin etc.), we have seen concept work for Amon from FFIII, Tiamat, Typhun, siren, the demonic wall etc.

Audίoboxer;44571834 said:

I don't see why they would. I imagine the old keys that are unregistered are in limited quantity, so whatever wasn't shipped back or destroyed would be honored.

During the "main" unfinished storyline (lv 30? mission). There's a cutscene involving an Ascian, but they never elaborate on them (since it was left unfinished).

The things that looked like the Grim Reaper?

Perhaps you might find something interesting if you go back through the 1.0 cutscenes and look for people without shadows...

Wow seriously? That attention to detail......

Jinko

That wouldn't matter, we are all getting another 30 days free in 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom