• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Good interview - Yoshida is by far the best producer at SE, the fact he is so out spoken and honest goes against everything we know about SE.

I hope they have plenty of TV commercials and advertising, because its going to be hard to get people to change their opinions.

Munba

The wait for ARR is feeling longer with every new bit of information we get..

Like this:

Greetings my musical friends!

I'd like to take a moment and give you some news about bard in ARR.

Drum roll please!

When performing songs, bards will take out an instrument and play!

This is the only detail we can give to you for now, but we hope you like it.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ard-more-Bard.?p=899866&viewfull=1#post899866

Finally a bard that plays like a bard. :D

Yoshida is the best director right now at SE if it wasn't clear enough.

I also share most of his ideas and opinions regarding the direction of ARR

People saying the graphics have been downgroaded looks more crazy every time I see a video.

Jinko

Notice there are guildleve counters in the aertheryte camps now, they have really listened :D, Will make gathering and crafting leves so much easier.

Shop and repairs are one NPC now also, I hope the repairs are like other mmos now and not text menus.

Only just noticed the co-ordinate numbers under the mini map, which is handy.

I wana play this :(

Munba

Black Shroud seems so nice. Can't wait to see it in the dusk or during the night. :0

602657_375860999169621_157921574_n.jpg

Cmagus

I am looking forward to getting back in on the 26th and trying this. It has been a nice little break since the servers went down but I am really wanting to get back into it. I think soon the new 2.0 OT up with a good amount of information seeing as everything thread has interest but the same questions are always being asked it would be nice to have something to link for them.

Jinko

I think soon the new 2.0 OT up with a good amount of information seeing as everything thread has interest but the same questions are always being asked it would be nice to have something to link for them.

It's GAF people don't read the OT they only look at the pictures. :p

Riposte

I'm interested in seeing Yoshi-P's star rise, so I hope this game succeeds. I want him to be the star player by 2020.

EDIT: I'm confused again about "2.0 OT" talk. Too early.

Cmagus

I'm interested in seeing Yoshi-P's star rise, so I hope this game succeeds. I want him to be the star player by 2020.

EDIT: I'm confused again about "2.0 OT" talk. Too early.

Not really considering we are about to enter open alpha and then into beta. They are gonna be in beta for quite some time and there is enough people returning I think a new thread would work. Up to you though all I am saying is there is a crap ton of people returning for beta.

open alpha?

Where did you get the impression that it would be open?

They're doing invites as I understand it.. to me, open would imply that anyone can play..

Yeah it's not open for everyone, though Yoshida said he wanted to invite as many of the current players as possible since he doesn't want us to wait so long without FFXIV. So there is a big chance we might get invites, you have to apply for it though.

Yeah it's not open for everyone, though Yoshida said he wanted to invite as many of the current players as possible since he doesn't want us to wait so long without FFXIV. So there is a big chance we might get invites, you have to apply for it though.

Not a problem in my case.. I applied the first day they posted the application. I even resubbed to FF XIV 1.x to watch the end of the world..

Really hoping that I get in :)

Cmagus

Well the way I took the date announcement it was open to everyone who has the game and registered but I could be wrong. Either way most of us will probably get in and it is no longer 1.0 anymore do what you want it was just a suggestion.

Well the way I took the date announcement it was open to everyone who has the game and registered but I could be wrong. Either way most of us will probably get in and it is no longer 1.0 anymore do what you want it was just a suggestion.

They just meant that they will start inviting NA and EU players.. as of now it has been JP invite only.

They do want everyone to be able to try it if it is possible, though.. so hopefully that means our odds of getting in are good. Particularly if they fixed the server lag that happens when there are more than 800 players in a zone.

ebil

English translation of the latest Dengeki interview posted on the OF gives more details about the alpha / beta phases and who will be able to get in.

dengeki said:
Global alpha will start end of the month
Plans are to get a lot of people in, if login counts drop, more will be invited. Aiming for a login rate of 60% of invited players.
PR will be parallel to alpha, for example promoting characters not usable in alpha
Beta content packaging started
Beta will be next year
Controller UI will become available
Phase 1 will once again be a (closed) stress test
in Phase 2 they will increase the amount of participants
Phase 3 will make our saved data available
All races will be present in the beta version
Not all animations will be present for all races, so dummy animations will be used (for example, miqo'te ears not visible on a helm)

(sorry for the poor editing, I'm on my phone right now)

Jijidasu

It seems that the servers will not be segregated at all, only having data centres located nearby for overseas players.

Edit: Housing not coming until the first big patch. Will be able to test in the final parts of the beta test they (Dev/YoshiP) expect.

FATE
every participant gets a reward
start will be announced in the field
event flow:
-> get close to the area
-> party is autoformed + level synched
-> fulfill objective
-> reward based on damage and participation time
no timers to be able to participate again

Yep GW2 events. I see Yoshida trying to bring ARR to stand to most recent MMO's. If several FATE are interconnected in the same way of GW2 this could be killer.

Jinko

It seems that the servers will not be segregated at all, only having data centres located nearby for overseas players.

Yea they aren't going to stop you joining a server based on a Japanese data centre, but it makes little sense to do that if you are living in the US or EU.

FATE sounds good, its been around since warhammer tho. :D

Riposte

The reason I didn't really care about Guild Wars 2 is because world events run contrary to solid design. "FATE" doesn't really do anything for me. I just want more battles like Nael.

Alpha and Beta threads are not OTs.

Munba

Global Alpha will start on november 28.

Greetings adventurers,

We're pleased to announce that the next phase of the A Realm Reborn Alpha Test is tentatively scheduled to start on Wednesday, November 28.
This phase will be adding in users from all regions (JP/NA/EU), and tester selection notifications will begin being sent out on November 26th.
Be sure to keep an eye on your email!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/58311-Global-Alpha-Test-Start-Date?p=901554#post901554

Jinko

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

fuck me i really want to play. ;(

Where does it say this ??

Well fuck me if that's true, paid for months and months got legacy and that happens ...

Edit:- hmmm I'm sure i applied for this already thinking about it ... /shrugs

Sofo

I really hope I get an invite, it'd be amazing!

Jinko, should say "An FFXIV: ARR Alpha Tester application has already been completed on this Square Enix account." if you did, when trying to apply again here. (link might change depending on NA or EU. /index_na for the NA one.

Jinko

I really hope I get an invite, it'd be amazing!

Jinko, should say "An FFXIV: ARR Alpha Tester application has already been completed on this Square Enix account." if you did, when trying to apply again here. (link might change depending on NA or EU. /index_na for the NA one.

Yup getting :-

An FFXIV: ARR Alpha Tester application has already been completed on this Square Enix account.

Cool :D

Jinko

Items/Equip

Inventory limited, but banks will have larger capacity
Vanity items still class restricted (no heavy armor mages)
In PvP, vanity will be disabled, so you won't be able to trick people with it
FATE rewards will contain vanity items among others

Buttons should be happy :D

content may be hard at first, but if for example a patch introduces some new content that gives you a nice item, it will raise your "item level", making clearing previous content easier.

This sounds like gearscore nonsense, I hope it isn't.

Some nice info :D

This sounds like gearscore nonsense, I hope it isn't.

Considering that they will have an instance matcher for dungeons that spans across servers.. how else would you propose that they give you the best possible chance of completing the instance when you built a party using that tool?

Considering that they will have an instance matcher for dungeons that spans across servers.. how else would you propose that they give you the best possible chance of completing the instance when you built a party using that tool?

Doing content with LS should be the main way to do it, content finder should be used for fast ways of experimenting content and avoiding the typical bottlenecks and "LFP" spams. I don't think it should used as the main method of doing raids.

Also that's exactly why gearscore is a bad idea. 90% of players won't be good geared.

Good strategies and teamwork should trump any gear needed.

Doing content with LS should be the main way to do it, content finder should be used for fast ways of experimenting content and avoiding the typical bottlenecks and "LFP" spams. I don't think it should used as the main method of doing raids.

Also that's exactly why gearscore is a bad idea. 90% of players won't be good geared.

Good strategies and teamwork should trump any gear needed.

I can appreciate that doing things with your LS (or free company in 2.0) should be the preferred way of doing things, but there will be people that want to use content finder primarily.

I don't agree with discriminating based on gear score alone in a local scenario, but I think they do need some sort of barrier to entry regarding content finder to make sure that people at least have equipment that is theoretically good enough to complete the content.

I can appreciate that doing things with your LS (or free company in 2.0) should be the preferred way of doing things, but there will be people that want to use content finder primarily.

I don't agree with discriminating based on gear score alone in a local scenario, but I think they do need some sort of barrier to entry regarding content finder to make sure that people at least have equipment that is theoretically good enough to complete the content.

Some minimum gear should be required, but given that quote dosn't seem it will be very low. Let's say double melded gera will be required for most raids, how many players will have doubled melded gear? Most of the good/very good geared players will play mostly with their free companies or friends...so content finder is left with a giant pool of players with mediocre/decent gear, chances that most content finder parties won't be able to complete most raids will be quite high.

We'll just have to see how they implement it..

I love all of these details coming out.. though it makes me sad that the alpha will only be a couple weeks for global folks

We'll just have to see how they implement it..

I love all of these details coming out.. though it makes me sad that the alpha will only be a couple weeks for global folks

They really want Legacy players wait 1 or 2 months of the beta after tsating the alpha? that's crazy.. FF XIV forums will go mad with bad animation, bad grass, worst grpahics and WoW clone threads.

Edit: I just realized we're monopolising the thread lol.

Jinko

Good point, but as I have always said skill > gear.

I can only hope that gear matters in ARR, no more naked Ifrit please.

I suppose one good thing is Rin will be forced to wear clothes now :p

Sofo

Some minimum gear should be required, but given that quote dosn't seem it will be very low. Let's say double melded gera will be required for most raids, how many players will have doubled melded gear? Most of the good/very good geared players will play mostly with their free companies or friends...so content finder is left with a giant pool of players with mediocre/decent gear, chances that most content finder parties won't be able to complete most raids will be quite high.
But that already happens when you shout. With both RedDot and Nibel, I always had some "dead hours" that I used to join shout parties, be it Aurum Vale/Cutter's Cry or Ifrit/Moogle (didn't dare to join Garuda shouts). Also most Hamlets. Let me tell you, I've seen such disparity in gear and skill and also between those two variables, that I think content finder will be a nice addition.

Chances are you will be doing the "real" stuff with your linkshell or free company, but if there's any way to set up some specifications in the content finder (say: at least a BLM with 450 Macc) then I see no problem with it. It'll be more used to fill spots fast than anything else.

Personally? I think anything that gets me to not shout for hours wasting my time is great.

Jinko

Personally? I think anything that gets me to not shout for hours wasting my time is great.

Agreed, I think this is a pretty big deal, especially for casual players.

Even if you have 7/8 LS members it would be handy to pick up 1 person with a click of a button.

Riposte

I'm curious how they will handle legacy characters in quests... since they are not newbies and have a huge reputation with all three companies. I plan on making a new character.

I like that FATE uses level caps. Gives me hope. Another thing is that they seemed to confirm a hard mode for quests? That's the reason I will play FFXIV 2.0. I don't care about loot. I just want good quests.

Jinko

I like that FATE uses level caps. Gives me hope. Another thing is that they seemed to confirm a hard mode for quests? That's the reason I will play FFXIV 2.0. I don't care about loot. I just want good quests.

Which reminds me I think level sync for open world content is a bad idea ... well ... bad in that old content will basically be left to stagnate and new players won't get to experience it due to not enough participants.

They would be much better matching the monsters strength to the number of players participating in the event. (although that could be tricky)

Maybe I'd suggest that if i get into beta, perhaps they have something else planned like removing level cap on old content /shrugs

I'm all for level sync in dungeons and quest events though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom