• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like standard MMO stuff. 4 second global cooldown on combat abilities, all combat abilities consume TP, and TP recharges every 4 seconds: 50 in combat, 100 outside combat with a 1000 TP cap.

I hope skill chains and magic bursts make it in at some point to give combat more depth.

I liked the way xi handled tp better I think

Allard

yeah, combat isn't done.. it will be different for beta.

Its so hard posting in here because of Alpha but I will echo these thoughts, there is reason people are supposed to follow an NDA for the Alpha because this build was intentionally stripped to the most basic level for purpose of stress testing the server (everything; content, combat, crafting, questing, animations even areas), Yoshida has already commented on the changed we should expect in beta, before even Alpha began.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It's 4:30 PM in Japan right now. I wonder if no invite yet means that I'm out of luck again.

N.A

Banned
This is pretty neat :)

CgeRF.png

Thanks for the 1 year anniversary present SE :)

Xux

I got in with the 11/26 batch. Pretty cool stuff. My only annoyances are listed as changing for the beta so not really much to say if I could.

Jinko

Didn't get in either .. bleh

This is pretty neat :)

CgeRF.png

Thanks for the 1 year anniversary present SE :)

I can't even find the link to display that info, SE account page as bizarre as ever.

Edit:- Nevermind found it, buried under 5 sub menus.

Funny thing is that video was far better and more entertaining than anything SE has put out. Quality is also much better than SE videos. Dunno why they are so afraid to show combat which they are clearly avoiding.

Combat is being changed for beta probably why.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
According to the Japanese twitter account, they're plan to add the next batch of testers on Dec 5th (after looking at the login numbers, as stated before).

^

Not fair to ban anyone but the person recording.. the other people may not have been aware that they were being recorded..

On the other hand, banning everyone in that video would open up more slots for GAFers..

wow @ all of these people posting videos without covering their names..

I guess they don't care if they get banned.

Jinko

^ if people are getting in who only played the game for 1 week back in 2010 I doubt they care about their account being banned :p

Wonder what his PC specs are 17 FPS is pretty poor :(

^ if people are getting in who only played the game for 1 week back in 2010 I doubt they care about their account being banned :p

hey, I only played a couple of months before I quit.. but I don't want to be banned lol

(which is why I'm not posting videos ::cough:: )

Allard

Official Developers Blog on the promotional site launched today.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog

With the Alpha now in full steam I hope the developers will give some decent updates as we now look forward to beta.

Edit: Also the blog is from futureland with it saying the update was done on December 4th! (Yes I am aware of JP time :p).

Jinko

Is that annoying music from the alpha?

Yea I wanted to hear what the music was like in the dungeon :(

Hopefully they have different music for each dungeon in 2.0 got really boring in 1.0 to hear the same thing all the time, even though it was a good BGM.

Allard

Don't see much point of the developers blog when we already have the producers letters and forum posts.

Its different because its not just going to be the producer talking but developer heads and not all the head developers have a forum handle to talk, not to mention its on the FFXIV promotional site complete with RSS feed so the potential subscriber base is a lot bigger. My guess is they plan to use the blog as a venue to talk about new and upcoming content without needing to use the Official forums and without using the producer letter which is well... a producer/director only thing. Furthermore at some juncture they plan to shut down the current official forums and merge it into the new ARR one so who knows what posts might get lost in the shuffle, its better for new promotional material to be on the official site.

Jinko

Its different because its not just going to be the producer talking but developer heads and not all the head developers have a forum handle to talk, not to mention its on the FFXIV promotional site complete with RSS feed so the potential subscriber base is a lot bigger. My guess is they plan to use the blog as a venue to talk about new and upcoming content without needing to use the Official forums and without using the producer letter which is well... a producer/director only thing. Furthermore at some juncture they plan to shut down the current official forums and merge it into the new ARR one so who knows what posts might get lost in the shuffle, its better for new promotional material to be on the official site.

Yea that's all well and good but nothing meaningful will be disclosed without going through Yoshida or the PR team first, doesn't matter who tells us the news as long as someone does.

I don't see how the site will have a potentially bigger sub base than lodestone which also has a RSS feed. (I'm happy to be proven wrong of course)

Cmagus

Looking nice though I am just waiting till something pops up on screen booting the recorder. The maps looks nice now that whole covers your screen thing was abit much

Did anyone that has downloaded the alpha client have problems with download speed? I'm gettin 0.1 - 0.2MB/s.

Are you an aussie by chance?

I saw a number of aussies on the alpha forums complaining about horrible download speeds for the client.

Otherwise it could be just a load issue.. it downloaded quickly when I got in on the 26th..

King_Moc

Banned
Are you an aussie by chance?

I saw a number of aussies on the alpha forums complaining about horrible download speeds for the client.

Otherwise it could be just a load issue.. it downloaded quickly when I got in on the 26th..

Nope, UK. It's ridiculously slow. Down to about 10 - 15Kb a second now.

King_Moc

Banned
You with BT by any chance ? they use traffic shaping with torrent/P2P before midnight.

Nope, Virgin Media. On fibre optic. I'm 99.999% certain it's not the ISP. The internet in general seems fine. Must be Sqeenix. Will just have to wait, i guess. Annoying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom