• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabin1001

Londa said:
So I was reading Gaf and someone suggested to use the Free TRIAL (lol) code. I made a new ID and put in the free trail code and it worked perfectly. Now I can play, but I leave behind my other SE service ID, My SE members account, my helmet code, and my Beta Tester account because they were all linked to my Old SE service account. But I will start anew.

With my old SE service account I requested for it to be restarted, but it only just gives me a new FFXIV game code.

So I'll just give it to someone that I know, that would like to play the game and needs a code.

That isn't actually confirmed yet, I would hold onto that code for the full month, we expect the trial accounts will actually be disabled then. It's much more likely their web designers didn't do a good job of making the trial code process appear different to end users. (As in, they didn't make it look different at all).

sabin1001 said:
That isn't actually confirmed yet, I would hold onto that code for the full month, we expect the trial accounts will actually be disabled then. It's much more likely their web designers didn't do a good job of making the trial code process appear different to end users. (As in, they didn't make it look different at all).
That wouldn't make sense - nobody using the trial would want to continue playing the game if they had to re-create their characters and start from scratch at the very beginning after an entire month of progress.

rocK`

Banned
Hey guys,

I was in the beta and just bought the game. What do I need to do to start playing? Click and Buy is telling me to wait 3 days...

Meeru

Banned
CrankyJay said:
Reading this thread is bad for me. Played FF11 for 3 years ... took up so much of my time. Must resist...wife will kill me.
ffxiv is a fun game, but only if you have the time for it :)

Jinko

sabin1001 said:

Yea I think the whole point of the extra code is like 2 game accounts for the price of one, I don't think the SE are getting this are they ?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Can't play till some time next week now. Mobo short circuited :lol and Intel's customer service isn't open on Saturday!

Dreamwriter said:
That wouldn't make sense - nobody using the trial would want to continue playing the game if they had to re-create their characters and start from scratch at the very beginning after an entire month of progress.

No, but what they might do is require you to purchase your own game (or at least purchase a code at the full retail price of the game). Hopefully that's not the case, but it is a possibility.

zlatko

Banned
I hate being helpful. ; ;

I pissed my entire day helping 3 different people with questions, showing them NPCs, teleporting them around, etc.

I had a game plan to get leatherworking to 17+ and get Pugilist to 16+. Instead I got 500 exp to pugilist to hit 14, and managed to get leather work up 1 level to 12. Lack of gear is really killing it for me now. I just can't stomach the idea of leveling even further like I did in beta with a level 1 weapon---but being craft 21+ to make a weapon makes me just tired really quickly.

I ended up logging off and dropping a few hours into Reach instead. I think if someone had told me a year ago I'd be willingly stopping FF14 play after 3 days to play a Halo game instead I would've laughed at them HAAARD.

I'm considering the Gaf advice of just coming back in March to the game, but I really want to experience the story. Plus I hated in FFXI that after a while everything was so set in stone there was no deviation on where to level, what to level, what you wore, and what subjob you had to have. Right now the game is fresh and experimentation is welcomed. I just wish the crafting recipes for things you want to make didn't require high level items from another craft... or at least didn't require that until you are like level 25+ in a craft.

Is there a place where we could start an auction house petition? :lol

Feep

Banned
zlatko said:
I hate being helpful. ; ;

I pissed my entire day helping 3 different people with questions, showing them NPCs, teleporting them around, etc.

I had a game plan to get leatherworking to 17+ and get Pugilist to 16+. Instead I got 500 exp to pugilist to hit 14, and managed to get leather work up 1 level to 12. Lack of gear is really killing it for me now. I just can't stomach the idea of leveling even further like I did in beta with a level 1 weapon---but being craft 21+ to make a weapon makes me just tired really quickly.

I ended up logging off and dropping a few hours into Reach instead. I think if someone had told me a year ago I'd be willingly stopping FF14 play after 3 days to play a Halo game instead I would've laughed at them HAAARD.

I'm considering the Gaf advice of just coming back in March to the game, but I really want to experience the story. Plus I hated in FFXI that after a while everything was so set in stone there was no deviation on where to level, what to level, what you wore, and what subjob you had to have. Right now the game is fresh and experimentation is welcomed. I just wish the crafting recipes for things you want to make didn't require high level items from another craft... or at least didn't require that until you are like level 25+ in a craft.

Man, I'm with you on this stuff, but you're taking it too seriously.

You're letting your desire for a better weapon--that is to say, slightly higher numerical values in memory used when determining damage calculations in battle--completely ruin this game for you. You're getting very into the e-Peen stuff, which is what I hate about WoW/other MMOs, and why I like FFXIV...it's more about exploration, and the story. Head off and check out Coerthas, do all the story missions, chill out. = D

I'm not defending this game's issues...it has quite a few...but just try to enjoy what you can. :D

zlatko

Banned
Feep said:

You're letting your desire for a better weapon--that is to say, slightly higher numerical values in memory used when determining damage calculations in battle--completely ruin this game for you. You're getting very into the e-Peen stuff, which is what I hate about WoW/other MMOs, and why I like FFXIV...it's more about exploration, and the story. Head off and check out Coerthas, do all the story missions, chill out. = D

I'm not defending this game's issues...it has quite a few...but just try to enjoy what you can. :D

; ; Story missions are every 10 class levels. In beta when you did level 10 leves/20 leves you got good enough gear to keep leveling on with without major shift on crafting. I just... mentally can't allow myself to be a gimp. In MMO's I'm that guy who goes out of his way to get that extra +w/e gear(Leaping Boots, Valkrum Emp pin, etc).

Yeah I am trying to enjoy what I can. I think I may have sullied more of the enjoyment for myself though with over exposure through the open beta. I am sorta just trying to get back to where I was level wise at which point it will be more fresh to me. :p I am chill though, but just disheartened that attaining equipment is a hassle/chore at the moment. Luckily months from now I'm sure SE will cave in and add an auction house, and I'll have a max craft to keep myself looking sexy. :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheFatOne said:
Damn I thought your GPU was fried or is your mobo and gpu fried?

The port where the PSU plugs into my CPU on the board is fried. Have to get a replacement on the entire board.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Okay...

I crashed and when I was finally able to log back in I noticed I was no longer in SoD? I lost the linkshell? What the hell... :lol

Mims

Emenis said:
Okay...

I crashed and when I was finally able to log back in I noticed I was no longer in SoD? I lost the linkshell? What the hell... :lol

The same happened to me. If anybody sees me on I'll need to get another pearl.

Edit: Actually it just now loaded me back into the shell 40 minutes after i've been logged in

Bleh - the game still just keeps crashing on me, with d3d9.dll claiming to be the culprit. Newest Direct3D drivers, no dice. New graphics card, no dice. New install of Windows, no dice. Windowed-mode, full-screen, changing all the settings, nothing works. I sent an email support to Square a couple days ago - no response yet. I would try more stuff this weekend, but...I can't think of anything more to try, other than new motherboard (maybe new RAM, but I ran Windows 7's full tests on the RAM, said it was fine).

I've spent a lot of time and money on this game, I sure would like to play it :)

is most of the gaf crew on lindblum? How populated of a server is it and have there been any queues yet? I hope they can take the population of retail next week because it seems some people are complaining of competition for mobs.

Anyone wanna trade for their guest pass? I've got an SC2 trial :)

Dreamwriter said:
Bleh - the game still just keeps crashing on me, with d3d9.dll claiming to be the culprit. Newest Direct3D drivers, no dice. New graphics card, no dice. New install of Windows, no dice. Windowed-mode, full-screen, changing all the settings, nothing works. I sent an email support to Square a couple days ago - no response yet. I would try more stuff this weekend, but...I can't think of anything more to try, other than new motherboard (maybe new RAM, but I ran Windows 7's full tests on the RAM, said it was fine).

I've spent a lot of time and money on this game, I sure would like to play it :)

Did it work in beta? Did anything change since beta?

jsrv

WonkyPanda said:
is most of the gaf crew on lindblum? How populated of a server is it and have there been any queues yet? I hope they can take the population of retail next week because it seems some people are complaining of competition for mobs.

Anyone wanna trade for their guest pass? I've got an SC2 trial :)
I don't know about queues, but Lindblum is one of 5 servers that actually had closed character creation temporarily due to overpopulation so it is extremely high population relative to the other servers. Probably equal or greater than Mysidia by now

Ravidrath

So, like... is there some other place to get Shards for crafting?

It uses 8 Lightning Shards to spin a spool of thread, and... that's a lot to me, right now.

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:
So, like... is there some other place to get Shards for crafting?

It uses 8 Lightning Shards to spin a spool of thread, and... that's a lot to me, right now.

Yea this would be nice for me. I can't skill up Carpentry cause I lack Wind Shards.

nataku

I'm gonna have to find the route to travel to the other two cities and surrounding areas to get teleports. Sent a few tells to sack holders in the LS, but can never find anyone near Ul'dah to get me a pearl.

Sallokin

We really need to coordinate a mass pearl distribution day in the major cities. I really want to get some good parties going so I can figure out how that whole deal works lol.

Teknoman

nataku said:
I'm gonna have to find the route to travel to the other two cities and surrounding areas to get teleports. Sent a few tells to sack holders in the LS, but can never find anyone near Ul'dah to get me a pearl.

What server?

Einbroch said:
Work in progress:

ZmqtP.gif

Einbroch still working on more images?

After having my first taste of partying tonight I have to say the group healing UI is terrible. Who thought it was a good idea to make health bars that can't be selected?

I'm going to have to work on some macros since casting curaga and hoping it hits the right person just isn't working.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SuperLurker said:
After having my first taste of partying tonight I have to say the group healing UI is terrible. Who thought it was a good idea to make health bars that can't be selected?

I'm going to have to work on some macros since casting curaga and hoping it hits the right person just isn't working.

This x100% It's a real pain in the ass, but after partying for a good 6 hours now, I kinda got used to it :lol

vivin

anyone else having login problems? Game crashed while I was running towards the miners guild in Ul'dah. Game then crashed while trying to log on, now its giving me a error 3102, something about the lobby server :S

Edit: and now it works :lol oh well

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
vivin said:
anyone else having login problems? Game crashed while I was running towards the miners guild in Ul'dah. Game then crashed while trying to log on, now its giving me a error 3102, something about the lobby server :S

Edit: and now it works :lol oh well
Game still thinks you're logged in. You just gotta wait for a bit and then try again.

Well I got the free code from a buddy and made my first character. My buddy, who most likely wil barely play told me to roll my toon on Besaid. With a free 30 day code I guess Im stuck there out of thanks to him..yet I have a feeling he wont be on that much...

Now please bare with me on a few things that Im kind of confused about and/or unknowing and such..

First my MMO history...30 day trials or 1 week trials of almost every single commercialy popular MMORPG. FF11, WoW, Guild Wars, CoH, Aion, LOTR, Champions etc.. you name it I bought it and grew bored of it usually less then the 30 days...except 1.
Call me odd but the only MMORPG I ever fell and love with and played for 8 years was Anarchy Online. Yeah its old, its F2P now, and Im always 1 of 2 guys in any gaming forum that played or find it the best MMORPG ever.
Now I say all that above stuff just to kind of give you a feel of my taste so to say and my history with MMORPG's.

Ok, so in AO and every other MMORPG I buy my first instinct is "Healer", my goal is support with damage consisting of DoT's, debuffs etc.. So that leads me to be kind of confused on what race/job to pick at start. I tried what looked to be a dark elf conjurer...pretty much figured I messed up when it seems my guys an elementalist.
So anyone have an idea whats my best first step in this build?
Also when I was playing the elementalist I kept having issues using my magic and or attacking, Im sure a lack of a handbook hurts me. I would manualy have to click the enemy since tabbing even highlighted players then click to engage..no tab just through enemies? Firing off the basic magic attack was easy but when selecting an element Id get the "AoE it?" and then have to waste time what I thought was clicking the creature again. Even then sometimes its like nothng would happen. My list of conjurer spells was a total of 6 too, but when what I thought was me applying them to the hotbar did nothing, aside from ice/fire the others were always grey.. I got kind of flustered...even died to a plague rat... I just felt like I was standing around hit buttons but my guys didnt do anything.
Is there a way I can just tab through enemies, hit an attack key, then fire off spells as they recharge? Very basic stuff, use my wimpy staff to strike auto for very tiny dmg. as I watch the spells open up to be ready to be fired off?

Now Im sure alot of my frustration has to do more with how the game "chugged" along for me. I had a very poor issue with frame rate and people/objects appearing out of thin air.
It took me forever to find my way out of the ocean side city I picked because of this as well as not being able to "move" my map around. As Im trying to find this gate through a mess of choppy running and crap poping up I had a map of the whole city in my hand yet couldnt figure out how to scan the whole floor so to say. Basically if I was standing in the middle of the city and it extended north and south I couldnt figure out how to scroll up or down to see what was further ahead, all my toying with the mouse was moving my chracter "under" the map.

Back to what I was saying about performance tho..basically is it me or launch stability woes? I really dont know much about PC's and to be honest my wife over the last ten years buys me what ever the Dell guys tell her about every 3 years. Like clock work at Xmas or my Bday she gives it to me, sure its a rip off but she means well and I have no clue when it comes to PC parts. So basically heres whats inside my PC at this moment..

Intel Core i7 920 @2.67
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (I cant for the life of me figure out which one, plus my CCC is bugging out...)
6GB RAM
I also had to manualy turn on full screen for some reason, it started in a small window oddly enough. Do I have to play in a small window to help performance?

So is it me, or just the game for right now?

Aside from the problems Im running into, most of which are most likely my own impatience and frustration I ran into to night, what Ive read about the game and such make me really wanna dive into it. Right now I feel like its just my lack of experience with the series coupled in with poor performace and running in circles for an hour..

Jinko

zlatko said:

Agree with you, no AH is killing this a bit for me aswell, I can make loads of items, but have no way to sell them, so my inventory both character and retainer is just filling and filling.

Soon I'm guna have no space and be forced to NPC stuff, feel like a waste of time.

A Petition would be a great thing IMO, try to post it on all the major FF14 "fansites" seeing as this is where SE are putting their attention.. or so they claim.

I'm not defending this game's issues...it has quite a few...but just try to enjoy what you can.

It's not anything to do with the epeen thing really, its more a feeling of defeat, you level a craft expecting to make an item, not to get a road block saying you have to then go and level another craft 10 levels higher than your main craft to make a weapon.

It's completely retarded and because there is no real marketplace you are forced to do everything yourself.

Perhaps you are happy to explore and otherthings but some of us just want to get on with what we want to do aswell.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Shouta said:
Man, the Hermes Sandals really help you get around town. Limsa feels small with the speed boost.

How exactly do they work? I got a speed boost on day one when I put them on, which quickly wore off, now they don't do anything :lol

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Say, is anyone playing XIV on a 2010 MacBook Pro (GeForce GT 330M)? If so, I'm wondering what version driver/what settings/what overclocking app you're using.

Londa

Banned
ok guys I just got a new code for the game because I restarted my old ID.

I'm not going to use my old ID because it doesn't change the fact that its still in Guatemala. I'm just going to hold onto the new code and give it to a friend so they can play the game.
"Since you agreed to the required terms, we are pleased to be able to send you a new registration code. Keep in mind that the FINAL FANTASY XIV Service Account that was created accidentally will be banned and that this process will not be reversible. This is a one-time offer to resolve your issue;if you do not register the account properly again we will not be able to provide an additional registration code."

So restarted my account doesn't let me change countries just gives me a new FFXIV Code. I also lose the helmet code that I put in my old account.

Shouta

Aokage said:
How exactly do they work? I got a speed boost on day one when I put them on, which quickly wore off, now they don't do anything :lol

Seems like it's one per real life day but the quickening is 25% for 30 mins. At least according to the wiki entries.

What the hell!? Square's emails to me are coming out all wrong, like this "0fUêìS?õÑsSP z{Rªæ«xIâÄ ­ Æ¢.ê×J-¦[Rµ«n°Ú-ë^rם\ [Rµ«n±­{.Ê!eµ+Z¶ë!T@ÝÊv¦?È©uë^rם\ [Rµ«n°Ç­??g¢w-(.-Ô­jÛ¬JÖ­º" In some kind of code, eh Square?
Honestly it's such a headache dealing with this game. Is it really worth the hassle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom