• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be a pessimist but the Alpha had the sealed off door for Toto-Rak which was a 25+ dungeon in the original game and Haukke Manor which has the same dungeon symbol as Tam-Tara and is surrounded by 30+ monsters.

Oh well....at least we'll have new jobs/classes.

Xux

Oh well....at least we'll have new jobs/classes.
Haha...well...part of the reason the Alpha was limited to ARC/LNC/CNJ was 'cause they're making it so you can only start in the city that has the guild for your starting class. So you'll need to be able to access Limsa and Ul'dah to do the quests to unlock the classes for those guilds.

Teknoman

"Hunting log", huh? Guess they are gonna do a bestiary. Hopefully it gives bonus EXP as you complete entries like the Crafting and Gathering Log did in the Alpha and has as good of descriptions as FFXII's.

Also, sounds like we're stuck with Gridania and LNC/ARC/CNJ 'til phase three maybe. :(

I'd love a bestiary.

Awesome, the music from the Limit Break video is the actual mid boss theme! They seriously need to implement some sort of new dungeon bgm though. Ambient noise is nice for certain dungeons of course, but imo the majority should have either a common theme or a unique theme depending on the area.

As for finally using your original character in the beta, and progress carrying over from phase 4, i'm a little curious how early scenario missions will work with a level 50 character. Level sync/locked to a certain level? I'm sure the missions are going to be totally different since we're now in another time...but at the same time, I dont think I want to be able to just breeze through.

EDIT: Just saw level sync will be in.

Xux

As for finally using your original character in the beta, and progress carrying over from phase 4, i'm a little curious how early scenario missions will work with a level 50 character. Level sync/locked to a certain level? I'm sure the missions are going to be totally different since we're now in another time...but at the same time, I dont think I want to be able to just breeze through.
Well, probably over three-quarters of the cutscenes from the the three cities' missions took place years in the past so I'm sure the plot for those'll be similar
and they'd better because I wanna know if Fye shows up.
Also, you can join the legion of Arcanists doing them, lol.

I hope they let you do the other nation's missions, too, this time.

Jinko

Yea its a bit confusing, from what I can tell, we will be stuck with Gridania and the 3 classes until phase 3.

It doesn't actually mention additional classes or area's being added just the levelling paths.

Would be a bit odd to go to beta and not have the other two area's open though. ( Looks like like FATE, dungeons and grand company stuff for phase 1 and 2)

Munba

I think we'll have all the classes for the beta 1. Also because you can't do lv35 dungeons with 3 classes only.. need gla/pld for sure.

Jinko

I think we'll have all the classes for the beta 1. Also because you can't do lv35 dungeons with 3 classes only.. need gla/pld for sure.

Well I did think that but low level dungeons can normally be done without tanks classes, at least in 1.0 they could.

Plus Tam Tara was designed for 4 for example but you could take in 8 if you wanted too, and of course they can rebalance the dungeons for phase 3 and 4.

Munba

Mmh. Btw it's strange they didn't mention how many classes there'll be in phase 1.

I'm curious to see the new Fisherman too.

edit.
i didn't consider a fact. We'll not have limsa and uldah in phase 1 and 2. So no other classes probably... sigh. Unless they add temporary other-classes npc in gridania.

ebil

Not to sound overly pessimistic or negative because I'm not a pessimistic person, but I honestly don't know how they even intend to balance the battle system (including classes, abilities, armoury system etc.) without implementing all battle classes before phase 3.

Are they really banking on 1~3 weeks of feedback and a measly week of rebalancing before essentially launching the game (Open beta will serve as a free trial/demo period)? Does that mean they will keep on showing only ARC/LNC/CNJ gameplay footage for marketing purposes, which has not thus far proven to be the best strategy to promote the game?

This roadmap shows they're either pretty confident in their ability to provide a fun and balanced battle system (with a lot of major and new features not coming before phase 3) or they're not intending to get and implement that much feedback to begin with.

Of course, they could still implement temporary class NPCs in Gridania, and I sincerely hope they will because so far battle mechanics have been my only major concern about this game and I really hoped Beta would alleviate them since alpha was so barebones. But I guess I shouldn't be speculating at this point and just wait & see, eh!

Limit break is not until phase 3 as well..

If I were going to be pessimistic, I would be thinking that we'll be stuck with the same 3 classes..

oh well.. we'll find out in a few weeks.

rustyhagun

Neo Member
"Hunting log", huh? Guess they are gonna do a bestiary. Hopefully it gives bonus EXP as you complete entries like the Crafting and Gathering Log did in the Alpha and has as good of descriptions as FFXII's.

Also, sounds like we're stuck with Gridania and LNC/ARC/CNJ 'til phase three maybe. :(

I hope this is similar to that of FFXII Hunting Board.

Munba

It seems they are making the Ultra preset for the high-end configuration pc:

The "ultra" (very high) preset for the game settings is in development though since people have been asking for more nice effects for the more powerful machines. I think I heard something about a "wet" effect, not sure if that referred to the water itself being more watery or maybe the characters getting wet

Translated by Soukyuu (loadstone forums) from the niconico video.

DrDogg

Has there been any mention of the level cap for ARR launch? Last time I played it was 50, just wondering if there's any word on that going up when the new game hits.

Since we can transfer our old characters, I'm guessing that means we'll retain gear and levels right? Last time I looked into it, that was the plan, but that was quite some time ago so I don't know what's changed.

Ravidrath

Has there been any mention of the level cap for ARR launch? Last time I played it was 50, just wondering if there's any word on that going up when the new game hits.

Since we can transfer our old characters, I'm guessing that means we'll retain gear and levels right? Last time I looked into it, that was the plan, but that was quite some time ago so I don't know what's changed.

He's mentioned that the level cap will likely be raised not too long after 2.0 launches, but it'll still be 50 at launch.

And, yeah, you'll retain everything you had before: progress, gear, and 1/10th of your money.

However, since it sounds like a number of the job abilities are quested, you'll probably have to play through the new class quests to get those back.

Also, I'm wondering if the patch stuff will stay the same for the new roadmap? i.e. SMN not coming out until after launch, etc. Seems like with the extra time they'd be able to get that done.

Jijidasu

I think they'll almost definitely have SMN out by launch. With the extra time given and the way Yoshi and Matsui spoke about it last time it seems very positive.

Ravidrath

I think they'll almost definitely have SMN out by launch. With the extra time given and the way Yoshi and Matsui spoke about it last time it seems very positive.

I certainly hope so. ACN being out at launch is great, but it'd be out of place without a Job-ified version to go along with it.

...Wonder if the extra time might let them get Musketeer and one of its jobs out, too?

Xux

I wonder how Arcanist'll even work. Hopefully it's different from the whole perpetuation thing from FFXI and more like a stance where Carbuncle and the Primal Essences use variations of your spells.

Also, Dev Blog update on the Livestream...even though details about the contents aside from the pictures is coming later.

Jinko

Not to sound overly pessimistic or negative because I'm not a pessimistic person, but I honestly don't know how they even intend to balance the battle system (including classes, abilities, armoury system etc.) without implementing all battle classes before phase 3.

Are they really banking on 1~3 weeks of feedback and a measly week of rebalancing before essentially launching the game (Open beta will serve as a free trial/demo period)? Does that mean they will keep on showing only ARC/LNC/CNJ gameplay footage for marketing purposes, which has not thus far proven to be the best strategy to promote the game?

This roadmap shows they're either pretty confident in their ability to provide a fun and balanced battle system (with a lot of major and new features not coming before phase 3) or they're not intending to get and implement that much feedback to begin with.

Of course, they could still implement temporary class NPCs in Gridania, and I sincerely hope they will because so far battle mechanics have been my only major concern about this game and I really hoped Beta would alleviate them since alpha was so barebones. But I guess I shouldn't be speculating at this point and just wait & see, eh!

I expect most of the boss encounters and calculations will be done by the battle team just as they did when the changed the battle system in 1.0.

I doubt there will be much to worry about other than a few rough edges.

Mature

...Wonder if the extra time might let them get Musketeer and one of its jobs out, too?
I've sort of been hoping they've just been playing it close to the chest as far as future classes/jobs. I don't care if they don't have anything more than Arcanist at launch, but it would be nice to see the first big update have two more or something.

Jijidasu

Wow, so much noise on the official forums about how SE should revoke Legacy because the people who didn't get Legacy status are all asshurt. God it's hilarious the amount of effort the lesser community is going to in order to complain.

desu

Wow, so much noise on the official forums about how SE should revoke Legacy because the people who didn't get Legacy status are all asshurt. God it's hilarious the amount of effort the lesser community is going to in order to complain.

Wow, really? Well the forums are always like that :s.

You know who should have gotten a Legacy account?

People who got suckered into buying this piece of shit at launch. I shouldn't have had to pay them for three months of bullshit on TOP of the 80 dollars I paid for the launch edition CE. I've never been so burned on an MMO in my life.

A friend of mine is considering going back for Realm Reborn, but I'm just so jaded behind the original launch, it makes me mad just thinking about giving SE more money (for MMOs). I will say that it looks promising from what I've seen so far, though.

Jinko

You know who should have gotten a Legacy account?

People who got suckered into buying this piece of shit at launch. I shouldn't have had to pay them for three months of bullshit on TOP of the 80 dollars I paid for the launch edition CE. I've never been so burned on an MMO in my life.

A friend of mine is considering going back for Realm Reborn, but I'm just so jaded behind the original launch, it makes me mad just thinking about giving SE more money (for MMOs). I will say that it looks promising from what I've seen so far, though.

Why ?

You still own the game and get ARR for nothing, they fixed their mistake or look to be trying to.

Legacy was for those who stuck by the game even though it was a stinking turd.

The thing with those Alpha forum posters is they are just annoyed because they didn't take the initiative when they had the chance, we had plenty of emails to give us warning to get Legacy status.

Jijidasu

Jinko pretty much put it down the way I was thinking. I wasn't sure how to put it nicely; if you didn't put up with it and pay, you don't really deserve Legacy.

Legacy is a "Thank you" for sticking with the game, not a "Sorry, please come back". It's clear by their approach that they're not going to be grovelling for customers, they're going to take them back by producing a quality game.

Why ?

You still own the game and get ARR for nothing, they fixed their mistake or look to be trying to.

Legacy was for those who stuck by the game even though it was a stinking turd.

The thing with those Alpha forum posters is they are just annoyed because they didn't take the initiative when they had the chance, we had plenty of emails to give us warning to get Legacy status.

I think that a special incentive should have been offered to people who bought the game at launch. The quality of that game was shit, and they knew it. They released it anyway. Perhaps we disagree, but I shouldn't have to wait for two years for a bad game I paid 80 dollars for to be good. If they sent me an email and said "Hey, we didn't give you a quality product, but we're working on fixing it and living up to the expectations of this brand. As one of our earliest subscribers, we're willing to offer you XYZ to come back when the new game is released", that would have at least made me feel like they were trying to mend the bridge. If any of the people on the boards feel the slightest way I do, I think that's justified.

An email that says, "HEY PAY US FOR SHIT NOW AND YOU'LL GET SHIT LATER EVEN THOUGH YOU ALREADY BOUGHT OUR SHIT GAME" isn't very cool to me.

Sorry for ranting. As I said, a friend is all excited for this again and it just brought up a really bad taste in my mouth from the last time. I was really upset about the legacy program to begin with, because FFXIV should have just been taken offline when they decided that ARR was going to be a thing. Instead, they did everything they could to milk MORE money from people to help pay for developing their "second chance".

Yes, I mad. D:

Munba

Some interesting info from GameWatch translated by AkiRouscelia (loadstone forums):

First thing that got me was the abolishment of anima. Yoshi P gave his reasoning being it's disheartening to be told by a friend that a FATE event is starting in Ul'dah while you're in Gridania with no anima, so they're removing it.

Airships and Boats are going to be tied to content and the storyline. He thinks it'd be nice to have pirates attack the airships, and Krakens and other sea monsters attack the boats a la FFXI.

I think that a special incentive should have been offered to people who bought the game at launch. The quality of that game was shit, and they knew it. They released it anyway. Perhaps we disagree, but I shouldn't have to wait for two years for a bad game I paid 80 dollars for to be good. If they sent me an email and said "Hey, we didn't give you a quality product, but we're working on fixing it and living up to the expectations of this brand. As one of our earliest subscribers, we're willing to offer you XYZ to come back when the new game is released", that would have at least made me feel like they were trying to mend the bridge. If any of the people on the boards feel the slightest way I do, I think that's justified.

An email that says, "HEY PAY US FOR SHIT NOW AND YOU'LL GET SHIT LATER EVEN THOUGH YOU ALREADY BOUGHT OUR SHIT GAME" isn't very cool to me.

Sorry for ranting. As I said, a friend is all excited for this again and it just brought up a really bad taste in my mouth from the last time. I was really upset about the legacy program to begin with, because FFXIV should have just been taken offline when they decided that ARR was going to be a thing. Instead, they did everything they could to milk MORE money from people to help pay for developing their "second chance".

Yes, I mad. D:

You got the subscription fee essentially nixed until the entire game entered rebuilding mode and then Legacy was floated. Subs were clearly placed under market pricing, and even if you didn't like it it made sense to pay for Legacy if you thought you'd be spending any significant time with the new game. And as a an owner you don't have to pay any entry fee to play the remade game either. Give me a break.

Stuart444

I don't have legacy status but I can't say I'm surprised. MMO players on forums tend to be like this. Usually a vocal minority though but still not surprising.

omlet

I think that a special incentive should have been offered to people who bought the game at launch. The quality of that game was shit, and they knew it. They released it anyway.
There was special incentive. It was in the form of months of $0.00/month access to the game, followed by months of cheaper-than-industry-standard monthly subscription rates, all while improvements were constantly being made to the game. You also don't have to buy the game again. Your character(s) also keeps any progress made. There have been plenty of incentives, and it's not like SE didn't tell us about them. If you chose not to stick around or return to take advantage of them (launched burned a lot of people, you're not alone in that!) while they were offered, that's not SE's fault.

Legacy campaign is both a "thank you for sticking with 1.x" nod, and (probably more importantly for SE), a "we know 2.0 is probably going to be drastically different from 1.x in ways that you, our current players, may not like, but please don't leave--we'll even keep your subscription rate low" play. Its main intent was not "hay guise give us $30 now so you can have $5 off your monthly sub rate in 2.0!" though it undoubtedly did have the side effect of prompting some people to do exactly that.

If any of the people on the boards feel the slightest way I do, I think that's justified.
Right on, holding a passionate, silly grudge for two+ years about a video game is totally justified.

I was really upset about the legacy program to begin with, because FFXIV should have just been taken offline when they decided that ARR was going to be a thing.
Okay, so let me get this straight... you have a customer base. You release a product that many of them don't like. Some of them do like it. Your great idea is to then alienate your remaining--your entire--customer base for months, if not years, while in the process depriving yourself of an excellent environment to test ideas and refinements for both current and upcoming projects. You will go far in the world of business.

Instead, they did everything they could to milk MORE money from people to help pay for developing their "second chance".
Yeah, the game sucked at launch, so there is no way that the 1.x players could have been enjoying the game enough that by the time SE wanted to start charging subs again that they would actually be OK with paying less of a sub than the sub they were expecting to be paying when they got the game in the first place!

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for everyone who got didn't get into 1.x beta to see how bad it was and then got "suckered into" buying CE at launch (I'm serious, when I saw pictures of people lining up to buy the game at release, my heart was literally hurting), but get over it, seriously.

Seriously.. legacy status had very minimal requirements.. they made tons of improvements to the game over the last 2 years.. they've been working this whole time to turn it around..

I bought the CE at launch.. played for 2 months and quit.

I checked it out again after patch 1.18 that changed aspects of the battle system I didn't like.. and it was better, but still not a game I wanted to spend a lot of time in.

After they announced 2.0 and a few months went by, I checked it out again in April of 2012, paid for a month.. it was better than the last time, but the community was pretty small by then and I never got to meet up with the GAF crew..

Then they announced the legacy program.. I didn't think anything about it.. then as it got closer to the end of the world for 1.0, I resubbed for 2 months in august to watch the end of the world and check out some of the additional changes (and watching Dalamud get closer and closer to impact)

Those 3 months I paid for in 2012 were the only amount of money I gave SE aside from the cash I laid out for the CE I bought in September of 2010 and that is all that was required for legacy status.

I felt burned by the original game too, my love for FF XI kept me playing it longer than I would have any other mmorpg in that state. Those of us that bought the game will get ARR free of charge, along with a new free trial and guaranteed beta access starting in phase 3.

They are rewarding the people that stuck with them while they struggled to fix the game and the "We're sorry, please come back" is the new free trial and beta access in phase 3.

Arc07

I didn't pay any attention to the updates because I told myself I wouldn't play this game (quit after a couple weeks) but now I'm regretting not noticing the whole legacy thing. :/ Oh well.

Jinko

It's kinda of funny how divided people are about the legacy thing, bias does play a big part of that of course.

I would suggest SE make a year subscription to be equal (or near) legacy fee, minus the chocobo and name in the credits (the latter which I think is ridiculous of course :p)

Chie would that appease you, or would you be bothered that you had to upfront 1 years worth of sub to get the same deal.

Ravidrath

I don't think they should address it at all, because MMO players' favorite food is sour grapes.

The 12 month "bulk" plan is not a bad idea, though. Pretty sensible compromise in a situation where I feel that giving in would set a bad precedent.

Meicyn

Gold Member
And also the satisfaction of coming back as a level 75 Paladin and exacting revenge upon that bastard. Felt soooo good.

Nakazato

Half of the reason why FFXI was so good was because of shit like this. Most of the great story moments and battles are overshadowed by all of the random massacres.
Tell me about it lol. I had the horror come through the boats upper deck i perfected dodged and flee'd with 1 min till the boat docked and got killed lol.

Ravidrath

When they added those skeleton NMs on the boat that dropped those two WHM cudgels... good times.

Yeah, we had a guy that was camping those... finally got one, too.

We had a WAR that got super-emo in Dynamis when the WHM managed to do a Hexa Strike that did more damage than his previous WS with it. The WHM got lucky and the WAR was unlucky, but it was still amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom