• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

On another unrelated note, the PMs coming in "Arcknight? Kujata? I fucking hated you." Ahhh... good times.

I didn't have any personal experience with you, but a reputation (and that of pretty much everyone else in Outspoken) preceded you. :p

Like all drama in XI, I assume it came from bots and Kings and Aery shouts.

omlet

Pretty sure I was 0/inf. on both cudgels.

On another unrelated note, the PMs coming in "Arcknight? Kujata? I fucking hated you." Ahhh... good times.

I'm not sure if I'm lucky or not that no one I met in XIV knew me from XI. I don't think I made many enemies. XD

Arc07

I didn't have any personal experience with you, but a reputation (and that of pretty much everyone else in Outspoken) preceded you. :p

Like all drama in XI, I assume it came from bots and Kings and Aery shouts.

Hahahaha.

I'm pretty sure (in my particular case) that it was nothing more than sheer jealousy. Can't say the same about the rest of the group.

Jijidasu

Some interesting info from GameWatch translated by AkiRouscelia (loadstone forums):

That's me, btw :eek:

I don't usually translate shit to put on the official forums because of all the ingrate scum over there but if Rein isn't around I try hold out to throw down some tl;dr summaries of what is being said.

There's more information in the article but the most important was that abolishment of anima, which came out of nowhere? I can't recall seeing it printed before the actual article. I'm totally looking forward to content included in transport though, guess this means the Airship is no longer just a cutscene - thank christ.

DrDogg

He's mentioned that the level cap will likely be raised not too long after 2.0 launches, but it'll still be 50 at launch.

And, yeah, you'll retain everything you had before: progress, gear, and 1/10th of your money.

However, since it sounds like a number of the job abilities are quested, you'll probably have to play through the new class quests to get those back.

Also, I'm wondering if the patch stuff will stay the same for the new roadmap? i.e. SMN not coming out until after launch, etc. Seems like with the extra time they'd be able to get that done.

Why 1/10th of the money? Is it to balance the OG players with the newcomers or is the monetary system going to be adjusted so that 1/10th will equal your original bank in the updated economy?

Wow, so much noise on the official forums about how SE should revoke Legacy because the people who didn't get Legacy status are all asshurt. God it's hilarious the amount of effort the lesser community is going to in order to complain.

I went out of my way to make sure I got Legacy even though I was doubtful I'd play again until ARR (and I haven't). SE better not listen to those people. :(

I would suggest SE make a year subscription to be equal (or near) legacy fee, minus the chocobo and name in the credits (the latter which I think is ridiculous of course :p)

Wait... I didn't play at all after I got my Legacy sub. Did I miss out on exclusive Chocobo stuff or will I still be able to get it simply because I'm Legacy? :(

Yeah I know... I tried to help a friend get one for the longest time. It was almost as annoying as farming Tzee Xicu for that stupid staff.

Don't even get me started on the hours I spent camping for that stupid staff! >_<

Nakazato

Why 1/10th of the money? Is it to balance the OG players with the newcomers or is the monetary system going to be adjusted so that 1/10th will equal your original bank in the updated economy?

Wait... I didn't play at all after I got my Legacy sub. Did I miss out on exclusive Chocobo stuff or will I still be able to get it simply because I'm Legacy? :(

likely

and

you'll get you stuff they were part of the legacy perks. but you dont get them till 2.0

Akuosa

The second one, it's a redenomination.

You get an exclusive chocobo as part of the Legacy package, you didn't have to do anything, if you've Legacy you're cool.

Ravidrath

All players' gil is being reduced to 1/10th, along with the NPC prices of everything else in the game. So you'll still have the same purchasing power.

It's also clearly being done just to get the amount of gil under control and keep inflation under control, since there were a lot of gilsellers, and a lot of people with max gil.

Munba

Yeah the last day of the alpha in the gridania plaza, hehe. Because you were famous after posting the dev-translated-posts topic in alpha forum lol.

Jinko

Really glad they removed anima, all they need now is to get rid of leve allowance :p

Never understood the need to restrict players when time is a limiter anyway.

Edit:- I'm curious how this will effect return though, the cool down will seem pointless now if you can just teleport there instead,

Mastamind

Really glad they removed anima, all they need now is to get rid of leve allowance :p

Edit:- I'm curious how this will effect return though, the cool down will seem pointless now if you can just teleport there instead,

Easy set a timer to teleport. Make it like 15-30m. Keep return seperate with a 30m cooldown. Makes it easy to get around, but not exactly spammable.

Xux

Just drop return and make Teleport a 1-5 minute cooldown so you don't load too many zones in a row too fast.

Nakazato

If not at least allow 8 leves every hour

notworksafe

How much will the sub rate be in 2.0?

rJ9Xi.png

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

Ravidrath

I don't think we need anima, but I do feel like there should be some kind of limit on teleportation just because, like... too much might make the world feel like a series of nodes than a contiguous world?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, though - you do need to run there first, and obviously nothing will be right next to the aetherytes.

I always wished that anima let you teleport to the nearest aetheryte when dying, no matter where you are. i.e. For like one anima, so you didn't need to return to a HP, teleport back out, etc.

I don't think we need anima, but I do feel like there should be some kind of limit on teleportation just because, like... too much might make the world feel like a series of nodes than a contiguous world?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, though - you do need to run there first, and obviously nothing will be right next to the aetherytes.

I always wished that anima let you teleport to the nearest aetheryte when dying, no matter where you are. i.e. For like one anima, so you didn't need to return to a HP, teleport back out, etc.

It dosn't feel like that in GW2, since to do all the missions/quests you need to explore every part of all maps. And well since it costs money (not much) you don't feel like overusing it, but the example that Yoshida gave works here too, since some events needs several people to be completed, same would probably happen with FATE so not limiting teleports is important to balance those events.

Of course I heard so many times the "BUT WHERE'S THE ADVENTURE FEELING!!!" in the official forums...., those people want to play XI again.

Jinko

Yea if they are clever in how they make the maps spam teleporting shouldn't be an issue, even in Alpha teleporting back and forth between grid and Bent Branch still meant you had to run to your destination afterwards.

That being said I suppose Duty Finder will be direct teleport to dungeons once you have visited the entrance (hope these are quest points and not just turn up at the door), something like the spirithold quest would be a suitable way to unlock a new dungeon.

Xux

Welp, shuttin' down in a couple days. Figured I should grab a recent pic of Zoe:
Guess I'll have to get decent gear for her come ARR not to mention possibly changing her gender, race, and name, lol.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Errr, so I bought FFXIV a few months ago when it was dirt cheap.

I finally got around to installing it today, and noticed I couldn't register my code on the website and am thus unable to play.

Now, when A Realm Reborn launches, can I just register my FFXIV code and play ARR, or am I borked?

omlet

Errr, so I bought FFXIV a few months ago when it was dirt cheap.

I finally got around to installing it today, and noticed I couldn't register my code on the website and am thus unable to play.

Now, when A Realm Reborn launches, can I just register my FFXIV code and play ARR, or am I borked?

Pretty sure you are borked for not registering your account when you got the game. Whether or not SE disables all the activation codes for unregistered 1.x accounts remains to be seen. SE issued a retail recall of 1.x and disabled registration several weeks (I forget exactly when) back which could mean one of two things:

1) They actually decided they either couldn't or wouldn't actually render unused 1.x registration codes permanently useless, so they just issued the recall to minimize the number of people sneaking in at the last second with a cheap copy of 1.x, and registration for people like yourself will open back up at ARR launch.
OR
2) They actually did render unused 1.x registration codes permanently useless, and the recall and registration disabling was just done as part of the whole sweep-1.x-under-the-rug process and to prevent people from unknowingly buying a game they couldn't activate (or exploiting their 1.x-account-carryover-for-existing-customers goodwill), and you're borked.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Pretty sure you are borked for not registering your account when you got the game. Whether or not SE disables all the activation codes for unregistered 1.x accounts remains to be seen. SE issued a retail recall of 1.x and disabled registration several weeks (I forget exactly when) back which could mean one of two things:

1) They actually decided they either couldn't or wouldn't actually render unused 1.x registration codes permanently useless, so they just issued the recall to minimize the number of people sneaking in at the last second with a cheap copy of 1.x, and registration for people like yourself will open back up at ARR launch.
OR
2) They actually did render unused 1.x registration codes permanently useless, and the recall and registration disabling was just done as part of the whole sweep-1.x-under-the-rug process and to prevent people from unknowingly buying a game they couldn't activate (or exploiting their 1.x-account-carryover-for-existing-customers goodwill), and you're borked.

I guess I'll find out when ARR launches. At least I got FFXIV it for cheap, so it's no big loss if I'm unable to use it to play ARR.

Jinko

yeah, been trying to log in for a few days now. can't seem to connect to servers, or the log in page just doesn't appear.

Yea its been postponed until the 3rd.

P.s. We should try and coordinate a sever for ARR Beta when the time comes (like first or last on the list or something), I'm curious what you guys will do if Sargatanas ends up on a JP data centre come release, I can live with it being based in the US but the latency to Japan is too much for me.

ZiZ

P.s. We should try and coordinate a sever for ARR Beta when the time comes (like first or last on the list or something), I'm curious what you guys will do if Sargatanas ends up on a JP data centre come release, I can live with it being based in the US but the latency to Japan is too much for me.

did they say that they're going to use the same old servers, I figured they were just going to use new servers, and I doubt Red dot will be picking a japanese server.

Nakazato

Up to rain and ravi really

Jinko

did they say that they're going to use the same old servers, I figured they were just going to use new servers, and I doubt Red dot will be picking a japanese server.

I'm sure I remember Yoshi-P saying that when they merged last time they changed to the new servers but where using the old infrastructure/code.

No idea how they plan to do it, they may give us the choice to transfer to a region specific server or it could just be where the chips land.

DrDogg

Thanks for the responses. I haven't been keeping up, but with the beta closing in I'll be paying more attention.

As for anima, I was one of the people who rarely teleported, so I almost always had a lot of anima. I actually wouldn't mind it going back to FFXI style where only specific classes could teleport/warp, but I doubt that would be a popular option.

kiryogi

Banned
Youll still stick around with us Jinko?!

and actually the overall decision of server location would be decided between 3 of us. (Me/Ravi/Mish) Or could be just me too.

omlet

Welp, shuttin' down in a couple days. Figured I should grab a recent pic of Zoe:
Same here, I logged in this weekend for a final look around... talk about ghost town. Goodbye forever, 1.x. ;_;

Yea probably.

Looking forward to more LS chat about blowing up vanya double melds :>

It's not really the servers themselves that are the problem. It's not a lack of resources on the server side, really, that's the problem. The problem is the design of the game and its netcode. While I don't think they have said specifically that they're reusing the old servers, that doesn't mean they aren't going to--in fact it might make good financial sense for them to reuse them (depending on their specs and age), just reconfigured to run what is supposed to be a much more efficient game/service/network design. If they are reusing them, though, don't expect SE to say so, because it would just cause confusion and mass bitching from people who don't understand that even a server built of supercomputer hardware is only as good as the software running on it.

and actually the overall decision of server location would be decided between 3 of us. (Me/Ravi/Mish) Or could be just me too.

Yeah, too many unknowns still at this time. We will be discussing it when launch gets closer, that's for sure. At least, I will. Even if Rain doesn't want to. Hahaha!

Ideally, at least one of the beta test phases will allow us to make characters on servers across either pond (or both, depending on how you look at it). This way, when ARR goes live, those of us with beta access will be able to have a feel for how big an issue the cross-continental lag is so we can make an informed decision before launch and spread the word so everyone can use their free character transfer to end up where they want to be. This, in turn, may or may not mean an official RDNA / RDEU split--mostly up to how the EU players feel about the lag and the typical playtime offsets that caused some issues in 1.x.

If beta phases don't allow that, then it really depends on how SE sets up the process of logging back in to your existing character. If we can start the game up and create a new character first, then we (RD leads) can do that to test the waters, but since we three are NA, EU peeps (and AU, too; I hear it's especially bad for them) will need to do some testing on their end, too. If we can't, and are forced to blindly pick our target server location for our existing characters, well... I don't expect SE to do this, but if they do, we'll probably just have to have an executive decision based on the complex decision making algorithm whose parameters are what Rain ate for breakfast and the airspeed of a fart in the wind.

My personal hope is actually that the new game and infrastructure design makes playing on any region's servers a workable option, which would mean we can stay on a JP server, because I like playing with JP players and I'm quite sure hardly any of them will be moving to servers in other regions. However, I understand that the lag may still be a noticeable issue, in which case I would probably opt to go with something closer to home for the sake of the majority of the LS.

tl;dr: Not enough information to make a decision yet.

Jinko

Yeah, too many unknowns still at this time. We will be discussing it when launch gets closer, that's for sure. At least, I will. Even if Rain doesn't want to. Hahaha!

Ideally, at least one of the beta test phases will allow us to make characters on servers across either pond (or both, depending on how you look at it). This way, when ARR goes live, those of us with beta access will be able to have a feel for how big an issue the cross-continental lag is so we can make an informed decision before launch and spread the word so everyone can use their free character transfer to end up where they want to be. This, in turn, may or may not mean an official RDNA / RDEU split--mostly up to how the EU players feel about the lag and the typical playtime offsets that caused some issues in 1.x.

Yea I was thinking this, looks like phase 3 is when they will add regional servers.

Like I say west coast NA latency is like 180ms from EU, east cost is more like 100, JP is 280+

I noticed a fair bit of .. I'll call it latency because it wasn't lag in Alpha, it was mostly with skill cooldowns and HP bars not updating fast enough, it's not game breaking but depends on what they have planned for later content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom