• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Gravijah said:
That crysta shit isn't gonna be used for in game items... Right?

Most likely not, but it could be used for mini-expansions way down the line.

Its probably just S-E's way of trying to bypass other services...

notworksafe

Gravijah said:
That crysta shit isn't gonna be used for in game items... Right?
Wrong. Wada said he wants the game to be subscription + microtransactions.

Wada went on to outline the subscription and microtransaction models that FFXIV will employ, adding the company is looking to improve on the Final Fantasy XI system.

“The basic model hasn't changed,” he said. “It's a monthly flat rate service with additional charges for items that users want to buy.

“For FFXI we didn't initially set up the item transaction model that well – although the demand for it was high. We thought that it would be a benefit for users, but that we wouldn't be able to charge.

“We soon learnt that there are a lot of people who want that kind of model, so we would like to introduce more pay-as-you-use items into the game. But there were too few items in FFXI – however we don't want to take it to the other extreme entirely for FFXIV.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/33514/Final-Fantasy-XIV-a-serious-WoW-rival-says-Wada

Luckily it seems he doesn't want it to get too crazy.

Teknoman said:
Well i mean technically you can make whatever class you want.
Yeah, but it's not the same. Like I said, I'll get it and be quite happy with it once all the kinks are worked out.

Gravijah

notworksafe said:

Son of a bitch. Time to be angry, bitch and then end up buying all the shit anyway because I'm a masochist.

Teknoman

Azrael

Not defending the lack of an AH in any way, but I've had no problem selling stuff in the Market Ward. I've sold a batch of Ash Canes, a Copper Scepter, a Maple Wand, and some Copper Chokers and Bone Rings. Most sold within a day of putting them up. Some tips:

- Give your retainer a good name. Don't pick something you think is cute or funny. Keep it simple. Mine is Weaponshop.

- I chose a Roegadyn retainer because they stand out in the crowd. Lalafell retainer is a bad idea. Nobody will even see it.

- Put stuff in your bazaar that people would actually want to buy. Whatever loot you get from mobs or harvesting you don't intend to use yourself, sell it to NPCs. I also sell all HQ loot to keep my inventory as lean as possible. Too many retainers are filling the market ward and even hogging the stalls with junk no one would want to buy.

Torquill

notworksafe said:
Yep. That's why many people are waiting for that to happen. Square isn't exactly timely when it comes to fixes so there's no reason to rush into playing this before it gets fixed. The good content isn't going anywhere.

I'm still back and forth on picking the game up on the 30th...even though I've put my preorder money down for it twice. :lol
I'm trying to hold out for at least a month for fixes and economy

Teknoman

Azrael said:
Not defending the lack of an AH in any way, but I've had no problem selling stuff in the Market Ward. I've sold a batch of Ash Canes, a Copper Scepter, a Maple Wand, and some Copper Chokers and Bone Rings. Most sold within a day of putting them up. Some tips:

- Give your retainer a good name. Don't pick something you think is cute or funny. Keep it simple. Mine is Weaponshop.

- I chose a Roegadyn retainer because they stand out in the crowd. Lalafell retainer is a bad idea. Nobody will even see it.

- Put stuff in your bazaar that people would actually want to buy. Whatever loot you get from mobs or harvesting you don't intend to use yourself, sell it to NPCs. I also sell all HQ loot to keep my inventory as lean as possible. Too many retainers are filling the market ward and even hogging the stalls with junk no one would want to buy.

Pretty much, but dont forget people buy minerals and harvested items pretty fast too.

Kite

How playable is FF XIV with high ping, say around 800+? Any classes/pet classes that might be able to handle the lag? In WoW the Hunter and Warlock classes are playable.

daebo

notworksafe said:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33514/Final-Fantasy-XIV-a-serious-WoW-rival-says-Wada

Luckily it seems he doesn't want it to get too crazy.

Yeah, but it's not the same. Like I said, I'll get it and be quite happy with it once all the kinks are worked out.

I really think that anima (or whatever the teleport shit is named) will definitely be something that is purchasable. It regens too slowly and it is real easy to blow through it.

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
How's that different from selling you ingame items, addons were just an excuse and we all fell for it.

I'm hoping if mini-expansions start arriving again, they arent like that. Something that actually adds to the story (like that Guild Wars mini expansion...mines of sorrow or something).

Gravijah

daebo said:
I really think that anima (or whatever the teleport shit is named) will definitely be something that is purchasable. It regens too slowly and it is real easy to blow through it.

That was one of my fears...

notworksafe

daebo said:
Yeah the term "pay-as-you-use" immediately made me think of both anima purchases and something like a temporary run speed buff.

Teknoman

6zvo1f.jpg

64qdyr.jpg

20pzfad.jpg

I dont remember seeing that random streaker when taking the shot :lol

10pwnko.jpg

2vvumit.jpg

10mscj8.jpg

106bneo.jpg

28sltdt.jpg

a5g7er.jpg

:lol Dunce hat.

Canti

Awesome Dunce Hat!

Still in my level 1 gear, been too busy to put any substantial time into the game >:

Enjoying reading everyone's adventures though.

Anyone else getting crippling server lag on Lindblum? Speed tests are showing that my connection is fine, and most of the time the ping indicator in-game is green but there still seems to be quite bad latency.

FPS wise the game runs really nicely.

Teknoman

Chasteleth said:
Anyone else getting crippling server lag on Lindblum? Speed tests are showing that my connection is fine, and most of the time the ping indicator in-game is green but there still seems to be quite bad latency.

FPS wise the game runs really nicely.

Considering everyone is pretty much at the same level in the game, there are loads of people in the same spot (more than what may show on the screen at times)...and until S-E gets that ironed out, we'll probably have problems like that.

EDIT: If anyone needs a pearl just gimme a tell (Lindblum). Going on now.

Teknoman said:
Considering everyone is pretty much at the same level in the game, there are loads of people in the same spot (more than what may show on the screen at times)...and until S-E gets that ironed out, we'll probably have problems like that.

Ah that's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure that it wasn't some problem at my end.

Jinko

So heres my theory with battle leves.

Rank 1~
1 star = lvl 1
2 stars = lvl 2
3 stars = lvl 4
4 stars = lvl 6
5 stars = lvl 8
Rank 10~
1 stars = Lvl 10
2 stars = lvl 12
3 stars = lvl 14
4 stars = lvl 16
5 stars = lvl 18

And so on...
It seems to be true of these leves anyway, not sure if thats the case with rank 20 leves.

So if you plan to do leves solo just go for the stars that match your level.

TheExodu5

Banned
No, CE's are not going for $150 on eBay. It means nothing that there are some up for $150 when there are others up for $60.

edit: oh woops, that's just the extras.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just bought the CE. MAN this box is huge!! O_O That alone is worth the price of entry for me. Installing now.

How big are the current updates? Where are most gaffers, server-wise?

zlatko

Banned
Jinko said:
So heres my theory with battle leves.

Rank 1~
1 star = lvl 1
2 stars = lvl 2
3 stars = lvl 4
4 stars = lvl 6
5 stars = lvl 8
Rank 10~
1 stars = Lvl 10
2 stars = lvl 12
3 stars = lvl 14
4 stars = lvl 16
5 stars = lvl 18

And so on...
It seems to be true of these leves anyway, not sure if thats the case with rank 20 leves.

So if you plan to do leves solo just go for the stars that match your level.

I soloed all my rank 1 and rank 10's with 3 stars difficulty. Even though I know for the rank 10's I wasn't 14.

Best bet is to also check what the quest wants eliminated. If it's squirrels or weak monsters then do 3 stars. If it's a lot of Dodos or something play it safe with 2 stars.

Anyone got a link to a crafting guide? Someone pointed out to me today that I'm basically doing it wrong by picking rapid synth so much. I didn't pay any attention to the colors of the glow during the crafting, or sparks flying, etc. Apparently if it's red you should pick wait or else your failure rate will be much higher, yellow you can do standard on, rainbow color/white I pick rapid. I'm not sure though if that's right or what sparks or the crazy wind energy colors mean though.

rocK`

Banned
Quick question -- I'm lvl 6, did all the leves and main quest in my town

should I just travel to another place / pick up a new class?

DrDogg

zlatko said:
I soloed all my rank 1 and rank 10's with 3 stars difficulty. Even though I know for the rank 10's I wasn't 14.

Best bet is to also check what the quest wants eliminated. If it's squirrels or weak monsters then do 3 stars. If it's a lot of Dodos or something play it safe with 2 stars.

Anyone got a link to a crafting guide? Someone pointed out to me today that I'm basically doing it wrong by picking rapid synth so much. I didn't pay any attention to the colors of the glow during the crafting, or sparks flying, etc. Apparently if it's red you should pick wait or else your failure rate will be much higher, yellow you can do standard on, rainbow color/white I pick rapid. I'm not sure though if that's right or what sparks or the crazy wind energy colors mean though.

There still needs to be far more testing on the crafting, but with LIMITED testing I have come up with the following:

Rapid = High progress increase if synth is successful, high durability loss if synth fails, low quality increase no matter what

Bold = Low progress if synth is successful, high durability loss if synth fails, medium/high quality increase if synth is successful, no increase if synth fails

Standard = Medium/high progress increase if synth is successful, medium/high durability loss if synth fails, low/medium quality increase if synth is successful

Normal Crafts:
White = Rapid
Yellow = Standard
Pink = Bold
Flashing = Any
Wait = Use if you want to change color or if the crystal becomes unstable

Craftleves:
White = Rapid
Yellow = Rapid
Pink = Rapid
Flashing = Rapid
Wait = If the crystal becomes unstable

Normal crafts are different than craftleves. I can spam rapid on craftleves and succeed 99% of the time (I've literally only failed on craftleve synth spamming nothing but rapid with the occasional bold at the end). However, on a normal craft, if I spam rapid I will fail at least 50% of the time unless I'm way over the rank required.

At rank 10 you get an ability that resets the color to white. I believe this is so that you have a high success of using rapid because that gives you the biggest progress boost. For example, if you're at 65% progress and only 30 durability, with a pink crystal, Bold won't get you to 100% progress and wait will cost you precious durability. So you use the ability, reset it to white and try rapid since it has the best chance of getting you from 65% to 100%.

You can use wait if the crystal is unstable or if you want to use a desired synth. For example, if you want maximum quality, use wait until the crystal is pink, then use Bold.

Now again, this needs far more testing, and I know Jinko and few others disagree with my findings. So take it with a grain of salt, but this is what has been working for me thus far, and I do way more crafting than THA/CON leveling.

RurouniZel

EDIT: nm, fixed when I ran as administrator.

So what server is everyone on, or is it randomly selected?

Atrus

Gold Member
I'm probably going to start level 20 leves today at some point but I'm a bit annoyed by the fact that SE has held everything they've shown to come to some later date. Imps though suck for melee with their AoE TP attack. If anyone has a counter feel free to suggest it.

There aren't any quests released and the mission ones so far are easy. Lag is an issue with almost 3000 people on Figaro, an impressive number for just CE participants. The lag reduces the enjoyment from participating in leves.

On the same token, I notice that it does help you solo those VT and IT Dodo's. In fact, so far I've been soloing a lot of IT's pretty easily with some of them doing no damage whatsoever if you constantly run to their rear. You can get about 300+ H2H on those Dodo's and using the Lancers HP consuming damage boost just about doubles your dmg on weaponskills.

The lack of an AH also means I haven't really been able to sell anything and it's been difficult trying to find parts to synth my own equipment.

I'm enjoying it overall but since this is really just vanilla solo exping, I was really looking forward to the accouterments of the game that was left out of the Open Beta and still being left out.

hgplayer1

rocK` said:
Quick question -- I'm lvl 6, did all the leves and main quest in my town

should I just travel to another place / pick up a new class?

join a party where other people are doing leves and rake in the physical exp and cash

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I dont know if I can ever get use to IJKL camera controls. My hand isnt naturally there while using numpad to move...and I rather not use WASD :lol

nataku

Just about to Limsa... on the ferry right now. Getting to the cities was much, much easier than I thougt it would be. The distance between them really wasn't that large.

I'll be logging off within the next hour because the Nebraska game will be starting, but I'll be bugging the crap out of sack holders for an invite to the LS now that I don't need them to come to me.

In game name is Veplerion Vifnir, btw.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
What ever ended up coming from the JP FF13 early order code? Was it beta access or something? I still have mine but wont work on my region :lol :lol Oh well.

Canti

careksims said:
This game is gorgeous and the music. Finally get to see that castle.

pics.
Ahhh I wish I hadn't messed up and left the party (had fun). Had a few odd problems playing earlier:

JvJKM.jpg

Just before that Orgehead wipes us, no player models appearing so I was just following the floating names.

BNtf4.png

Ridiculous bloom in Limsa that continued for like 20 seconds after I went outside a building.

RurouniZel

Hello everyone, I'm in serious need of help!

I just built a new rig with an AMD Phenom II 3.4 Ghz Quad Core processor and an ATI Radeon HD 5770. It runs the benchmark at 1080P flawlessly.

However, now that I've created my character, when I log online it's jittery as all hell!!

I'm guessing this has to be some sort of latency issue where the connection isn't transferring smoothly enough or something. Can anyone recommend how I adjust my connection settings so that this doesn't happen?

KaYotiX

Banned
Sweet , now I guess I'll grind some levels or crafts. I'm really liking this game. Such a breath if fresh air from most MMOs

Canti

Pietepiet said:
Sallokin, your pixel avatar is ready:

Sallokin.png
Sallokin2.png

Again, host these yourself if you can :)

Here's the full set so far:

QisTopTier
QisTopTier.png
QisTopTierx2.png

Sallokin
Sallokin.png
Sallokin2.png
Awesome as always PietPiet. As I understand it you have quite a backlog of people so would feel guilty asking you to make me one too. Although, if you're on Lindblum perhaps I could pay a few k gil for the service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom