• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Shouta said:
Seems like it's one per real life day but the quickening is 25% for 30 mins. At least according to the wiki entries.
Aw man, I wish I had been eligible for those. The Onion helm is worthless after rank 12.

Londa

Banned
I don't know what the different is in that windower version and putting the game in window mode. It's prolly something so small that it doesn't even matter anyways.

Zomba13

So... the new windower, that barely does anything, gets a cease and desist while the old FFXI windower that is so very useful with tons of addons that help you play the game gets to stay up? I mean the FFXI windower does way more than window, even lets you see stats and stuff you aren't supposed to.

Londa said:
I don't know what the different is in that windower version and putting the game in window mode. It's prolly something so small that it doesn't even matter anyways.

I don't know what the actual client for FF14 is like but the "windower" of FF11 allowed you to do things on the net etc as the original client did not allow you to play in windowed mode. They did add the functionality in much later but it still didn't make up for a lot of shortcomings that the native client had. The windower of FF11 made the game so much bearable with the arcahic user interface really if anything.

I think it's humorous that they're trying to nip the bud before it takes root. It was suspected most of the PC playerbase used the program so it would have been catastrophic (income wise) if they banned all the accounts that used the 3rd party program(as noted in the terms of service.)

Slackbladder said:
What the hell!? Square's emails to me are coming out all wrong, like this "0fUêìS?õÑsSP z{Rªæ«xIâÄ ­ Æ¢.ê×J-¦[Rµ«n°Ú-ë^rם\ [Rµ«n±­{.Ê!eµ+Z¶ë!T@ÝÊv¦?È©uë^rם\ [Rµ«n°Ç­??g¢w-(.-Ô­jÛ¬JÖ­º" In some kind of code, eh Square?
Honestly it's such a headache dealing with this game. Is it really worth the hassle?

probably a mistake on their end somehow and I wouldn't think much of it if you are trying to make something out of it. If you're annoyed by this then you might want to reconsider if you want to give them your money.

Jinko

Londa said:

It removes the border and basically makes it fullscreen with the option to still tab out, I guess if they stop it from working (which they haven't so far) we can still use Valru's version.

Awntawn

Londa said:
So restarted my account doesn't let me change countries just gives me a new FFXIV Code. I also lose the helmet code that I put in my old account.
The helmet doesn't work past rank 10, so it's useless in the long run. I'd imagine similar conditions apply to all the other items as well.

Torquill

Classic_Gs said:
Any Gaffers playing on Besaid?
Yes. Find Gaknar Cobblepot. Tell him Torquill sent you. I won't be playing for a month or so, RL and letting the economy and patches settle in a bit.

Bento

Shouta said:
Ugh, this "That target is engaged' bullshit still isn't fixed. What the hell, SE?
Yeah, that shit needs to be fixed fast. What's really darn annoying about it is how random it is, I've gone an hour or two sometimes without it happening and of course it happens once you're going up against a tougher mob when you really need all the firepower you can get :'(

Also my thanks to Teknoman for the Pearl :)

Shouta said:
Ugh, this "That target is engaged' bullshit still isn't fixed. What the hell, SE?

Yeah makes the game feel like Alpha again except this time the enemies get to attack you at normal speed.

Smooth launch my ass! Some of you are kidding yourselves.

Awntawn

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah makes the game feel like Alpha again except this time the enemies get to attack you at normal speed.

On the other hand, the server connections are butter, there are minimal crashes/maintenance, and there are no login queues ;o

notworksafe

Pai Pai Master said:
Smooth compared to Vanguard and APB. :lol

And it's actually not bad in some ways. No login queues, no massive lot of server crashes. Of course that could also be a bad sign in that Square overestimated demand. I bet the queues and crashes will come with the real launch on the 30th. Most people still don't have the game.

So i picked this up today before i went into work, JESUS can the box be any bigger? :lol I'm asusming that's the tumbler taking all the space
Hell i'm pretty certain it wont even run on my laptop (the beta just crashed when i tried to launch the upater, as did the benchmark) but i guess it's possible it could run on my (old) PC, fingers crossed ¬_¬

desa

Question. I pre ordered the standard edition and my buddy has a buddy pass for me to use so I can play early but is it possible to add your bonus item codes after you've already made your character? Or do you only receive those items (asuran armguard, goggles, etc) when making a new character after submitting the codes?

desa said:
Question. I pre ordered the standard edition and my buddy has a buddy pass for me to use so I can play early but is it possible to add your bonus item codes after you've already made your character? Or do you only receive those items (asuran armguard, goggles, etc) when making a new character after submitting the codes?

Codes first, then characters. The items only show up on characters you make after registering the codes.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
L0st Id3ntity said:
When can we expect the reviews to roll out?

I'd say 6 and 7's for the most part. Possibly even less though with the hate Ive seen but I will stick with 6-7 range.

Edit: you edited right or did i misread it completely? lol

daebo

Shouta said:

Yes, this shit is driving me crazy.

Any word on the Rabanstre LS?

I have a buddy pass if somebody needs/wants it.

Jinko

desa said:

You have to add the codes before you make the character, of course if you use the buddy account you most likely don't need to purchase the game. (its unclear at this point though)

DrDogg

SuperLurker said:
After having my first taste of partying tonight I have to say the group healing UI is terrible. Who thought it was a good idea to make health bars that can't be selected?

I'm going to have to work on some macros since casting curaga and hoping it hits the right person just isn't working.

Healing in parties has been broken since the beta. I complained significantly back then. Now I just level crafting until SE gets their heads out of their asses.

What I don't get is that targeting works fine when you don't have a healing spell selected. Which means SE made a conscious decision to change the targeting for healing. WTF... :lol

In other news... almost all of my crafts are now at or very close to rank 10. I haven't touched Armorer yet, but I will as soon as some items sell or I do some rank 10 leves (haven't had a chance to play enough to get them done).

By this time next week I expect to have all crafting jobs to rank 25 or higher.

Unknown Soldier said:
Dreamwriter said:
Bleh - the game still just keeps crashing on me, with d3d9.dll claiming to be the culprit. Newest Direct3D drivers, no dice. New graphics card, no dice. New install of Windows, no dice. Windowed-mode, full-screen, changing all the settings, nothing works. I sent an email support to Square a couple days ago - no response yet. I would try more stuff this weekend, but...I can't think of anything more to try, other than new motherboard (maybe new RAM, but I ran Windows 7's full tests on the RAM, said it was fine).

I've spent a lot of time and money on this game, I sure would like to play it :)
Did it work in beta? Did anything change since beta?
Nope, same thing was in beta (that's where I did much of my experiments to try and fix the crashes). Today I'm gonna try replacing my RAM - I don't think it'll help, but there's not much else to try. At least if that doesn't work, I can use both old and new RAM for double memory.

Shouta

daebo said:

Someone else will have to make. I ended up rolling on Lind.

Teknoman

Turn off ambient occlusions if you're having performance problems.

Also whenenver you install a new PC game, check the start menu options...at least thats what I do. Fallout 3 has the same type of start menu config program as XIV. Just go in there and mess around with the settings/turn to full screen.

Ravidrath

So have people found class quests yet? What are the conditions for triggering them?

Also, I was able to trigger the second story bit (in Gridania) last night at Rank 9 / Level 10... maybe Level allows storyline progression, while Rank is needed for Class progression?

Also: WTF, I logged out in Limsa Lominsa last night, and when I logged back in I was in Ul'dah... My gear was the same as it was when I was in Ul'dah, too.

rocK`

Banned
if anyone is around ~6 and wants to group up to do rank 4+ leves let me know.

also, looking to join GAF linkshell!

in game name: Rock Howard

edit: I'm in Limsa Louminsa

Ravidrath

Also, BTW, selling items to NPCs doesn't seem to be a complete waste of time in this game.

I was able to sell Firefly Elytons, which have no purpose as yet, for 189 each. Marmot Meat is like 100+, etc.

Given how difficult it currently is to sell things, it's actually not a terrible source of income.

Teknoman

I've got to find out what Faction Standing effects. I know you get credits by finishing a leve, which lets you get factionleves eventually (which lead to really diverse battles/leves against beastmen), but as things are now, Faction Standing seems to be like conquest in FFXI...just no one knows if it has any effect on leve rewards.

Ravidrath said:
Also, BTW, selling items to NPCs doesn't seem to be a complete waste of time in this game.

I was able to sell Firefly Elytons, which have no purpose as yet, for 189 each. Marmot Meat is like 100+, etc.

Given how difficult it currently is to sell things, it's actually not a terrible source of income.

Still try retainers, people buy from the markets all the time. Everytime I leave items with my retainer, she has a decent amount of gil waiting for me when I come back.

But yeah, Marmot pelts npc for alot too. It seems like its as easy to get gil in this game as console FF games (excluding XIII).

EDIT: I remember someone saying something about rat fur/pelts for leatherworking...maybe I should bazaar marmot pelts and other things for leatherworkers?

desa

Pai Pai Master said:
Codes first, then characters. The items only show up on characters you make after registering the codes.

Jinko said:
You have to add the codes before you make the character, of course if you use the buddy account you most likely don't need to purchase the game. (its unclear at this point though)

Ok, thanks. Seems odd to me that a buddy pass is basically a retail code if what you're saying is true. I'd definitely go that route if it's confirmed. I'd rather give up the garlond goggles and save some money.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
daebo said:

My friends and I have a small link shell with about 20 members right now. We were doing battlements last night. Any gaffers are welcome.

zlatko

Banned
Jinko said:
Agree with you, no AH is killing this a bit for me aswell, I can make loads of items, but have no way to sell them, so my inventory both character and retainer is just filling and filling.

Soon I'm guna have no space and be forced to NPC stuff, feel like a waste of time.

A Petition would be a great thing IMO, try to post it on all the major FF14 "fansites" seeing as this is where SE are putting their attention.. or so they claim.

It's not anything to do with the epeen thing really, its more a feeling of defeat, you level a craft expecting to make an item, not to get a road block saying you have to then go and level another craft 10 levels higher than your main craft to make a weapon.

It's completely retarded and because there is no real marketplace you are forced to do everything yourself.

Perhaps you are happy to explore and otherthings but some of us just want to get on with what we want to do aswell.

You 100% get where I'm coming from word for word. :D

I also absolutely refuse to give up on this game for numerous reasons, but I can't help but vent when there is some hurdle there tampering with the fun that could be had from the game.

I'm going to sign that petition 100000X times over on FFXIVcore.com, and honestly everyone on Gaf should help. Does loadestone or whatever also have forums we could start one on ?

notworksafe

HappyBivouac said:
It's a legitimately awesome game with a few significant issues that, if you're not an 8 year old, you should realize will get ironed out.
Yep. That's why many people are waiting for that to happen. Square isn't exactly timely when it comes to fixes so there's no reason to rush into playing this before it gets fixed. The good content isn't going anywhere.

I'm still back and forth on picking the game up on the 30th...even though I've put my preorder money down for it twice. :lol

notworksafe said:
Yep. That's why many people are waiting for that to happen. Square isn't exactly timely when it comes to fixes so there's no reason to rush into playing this before it gets fixed. The good content isn't going anywhere.

I'm still back and forth on picking the game up on the 30th...even though I've put my preorder money down for it twice. :lol

If you buy this i'll jump through the monitor and slap you....tango style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yCgtehwUE

notworksafe

:lol :lol :lol That vid is awesome!

And I know I'll buy it eventually, that's for sure. I liked XI a lot and I am really attracted to this game, even if there's no multi-class characters like XI. :(

The question is: will I get it in 5 days or in 6 months? Still not sure...

Teknoman

Valru said:
CE's are now going for $150 on craigslist and I have a sealed one sitting right here...

Recoop cash and get standard later :D

notworksafe said:
:lol :lol :lol That vid is awesome!

And I know I'll buy it eventually, that's for sure. I liked XI a lot and I am really attracted to this game, even if there's no multi-class characters like XI. :(

The question is: will I get it in 5 days or in 6 months? Still not sure...

Well i mean technically you can make whatever class you want.

And yes people should NPC stuff as you can get a load of gil just selling simple items. In the past two days, I think i've gained more gil than I ever would have in XI this early on.

Kandinsky

DrDogg said:
What I don't get is that targeting works fine when you don't have a healing spell selected. Which means SE made a conscious decision to change the targeting for healing. WTF... :lol
It worked fine (subtarget and all) in alpha too:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom