• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietepiet

Canti said:
Awesome as always PietPiet. As I understand it you have quite a backlog of people so would feel guilty asking you to make me one too. Although, if you're on Lindblum perhaps I could pay a few k gil for the service?

Dude, don't worry about it :) This is a hobby of mine and it's nice to fill my portfolio site up some more. PM me a full body shot and I'll put you on the list. I have like 4 on the list right now that need to be done, so it's not that big.

Thanks, by the way :D

Also, yeah, I'm on Lindblum. We did a few leves together a couple hours ago. I'm Sumio Caixa :)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
RurouniZel said:
Hello everyone, I'm in serious need of help!

I just built a new rig with an AMD Phenom II 3.4 Ghz Quad Core processor and an ATI Radeon HD 5770. It runs the benchmark at 1080P flawlessly.

However, now that I've created my character, when I log online it's jittery as all hell!!

I'm guessing this has to be some sort of latency issue where the connection isn't transferring smoothly enough or something. Can anyone recommend how I adjust my connection settings so that this doesn't happen?

Can anyone help me get my settings right? I can't figure out how my new rig runs the benchmark flawlessly, but the game is jittery like crazy! Anyone? :(

RurouniZel said:
Can anyone help me get my settings right? I can't figure out how my new rig runs the benchmark flawlessly, but the game is jittery like crazy! Anyone? :(

Run it in windowed mode (or use Windower XIV) instead of full screen.

Kyoufu

Yeah I regret getting this game now. Its just not playable.

Job system is a step forward from XI, but the actual world itself is a huge step back. Entire fields without any monsters to kill. The only camps to grind anything are always full.

RurouniZel

Unknown Soldier said:
Run it in windowed mode (or use Windower XIV) instead of full screen.

Thanks. Yeah, it runs at 720P smooth as butter, but not 1080P, which is weird since it does on the benchmark. Ah well.

careksims

ffxivgame2010-09-2509-21-18-46.jpg

DoF sometimes just looks great. Wish I didn't have to re-size the pic.

jsrv

Kyoufu said:
Yeah I regret getting this game now. Its just not playable.

Job system is a step forward from XI, but the actual world itself is a huge step back. Entire fields without any monsters to kill. The only camps to grind anything are always full.
have you tried lower population servers?

Canti

Pietepiet said:
Dude, don't worry about it :) This is a hobby of mine and it's nice to fill my portfolio site up some more. PM me a full body shot and I'll put you on the list. I have like 4 on the list right now that need to be done, so it's not that big.

Also, yeah, I'm on Lindblum. We did a few leves together a couple hours ago. I'm Sumio Caixa :)
I didn't realise! Done and done :D

RurouniZel said:
Make sure you have Ambient Occlusion disabled, that is the worst killer of framerate. The other checkbox, Depth of Field, that's also one of the bigger offenders though not nearly as bad as AO. And make sure the Buffer Size is set to "Resolution".

As for the benchmark, the smoothness of how it ran wasn't the point, it's the score it gave you. The score is more realistic about the game's performance than the smoothness of the noninteractive cutscene with only a few NPC's and minor effects.

Allard

So I guess Ishgard is still inaccessible?

Probably but no one knows for absolute certain yet. It seems doing the nation quests is slowly opening things in the world that we both did and did not know about. Been hearing reports of an NPC campion you can summon by linkpearl (for nation quest BCNM's only I'm guessing since they said they can't get it to work in the field yet.) The people saying this said they got to pick it out like a retainer, pick the class (one of the 7 melee/magic classes) and give it a name. The fourth nation quest also opens up Parley or at least introduces it as part of the quest. Maybe in the later level quests people might get the ability to enter Ishgard considering its being blocked by knights who said we need a right of passage to get in.

Also the level to engage in the quests seems to have been lowered slightly, lvl 8ish for quest 3 and lvl 15 for quest #4 (class level, not physical).

Allard said:
Maybe in the later level quests people might get the ability to enter Ishgard considering its being blocked by knights who said we need a right of passage to get in.
Oho - maybe getting one of the Rights of Passage that you can send for from the CE includes a code that unlocks Ishgard...

RurouniZel said:
Thanks. Yeah, it runs at 720P smooth as butter, but not 1080P, which is weird since it does on the benchmark. Ah well.

The benchmark doesn't seem to be a good judge of in game performance, since it just shows a cutscene. I run 1080p on my system and during cutscenes (and in the benchmark) I get mostly 60 fps. During actual gameplay my fps is generally much lower, unless I'm running around a tunnel or something.

Zomba13

Pietepiet said:

Would you be able to do one for me? I could pay/donate some gil if you'd like some.

If you could I'd like something like this, just a bit more in the middle of the chest and minus the lance.
FFXIV_1285336151.jpg

If you cant do it from that picture then this
1284024452.jpg

You can take as long as you want, no rush if you decide to do it.

Someone in the next 10 mins convince me to buy this.. I'm about to go to Frys and may pick this up.

I played with some Gaffers on FF11 but I just hated the whole 'grind' you had to do with your LS for anything past lvl 10. I did get a SMN to lvl 36ish and like a WHM/BLM up to about 20.. but not sure what I want to do here.

Ugh.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Good lord, finally got the damned thing working on two laptops.

Dee Charlie - Rabanastre - most likely just going to be solo-ing as i can't commit large chunks of time due to child/work

TurtleSnatcher said:
Someone in the next 10 mins convince me to buy this.. I'm about to go to Frys and may pick this up.

I played with some Gaffers on FF11 but I just hated the whole 'grind' you had to do with your LS for anything past lvl 10. I did get a SMN to lvl 36ish and like a WHM/BLM up to about 20.. but not sure what I want to do here.

Ugh.

Quit your bitching and just buy the game. :D

So I was looking through some things today and found this little slip of paper that came with my JPN import of FFXIII. Seems like it is some kind of code; could it be the could for the supposed Asura Armbands for FF XIV?

Gravijah

Pietepiet said:

There's no way I could get you to do a pixel version of my Raichu, is there? I will hug you for eternity if you do!

Corran Horn said:
First 30 days free. And ...at least CE version has a free 30 day friend invite code

First 30 days if you buy it? That's my problem. After getting burned on the piece of shit that is Aion it's very hard for me to justify buying an MMO if I can't test it out first.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
funkmastergeneral said:
First 30 days if you buy it? That's my problem. After getting burned on the piece of shit that is Aion it's very hard for me to justify buying an MMO if I can't test it out first.
Yep need to buy. Best way for what you want is to find a friend with a Buddy Pass and use that for a free 30 days. Need to find a way to get disc though somehow and Im not exactly sure how this code works (if you create a new account or use it on the persons original account).

Figured Conjurer would be the best bet for a healer class, so Im a Dark Elf Conjurer.

Little problem Im having, kinda same ones i posted a page or 2 back.

When I'm on the boat to the mainland I have 3 spells equiped, Quick attack "bolt", Ice and Fire. When i get to the mainland I see in my abilities list my conjurer has like 6 spells total.
He has Earth, Wind, Lightining etc..
I click an open box on the left side of the screen guessing thats my action bars and then select one of the conjurer spells not on the bar already. It only lets me but these spells in the "off hand" but none the less they look equiped on the bar. During battle tho, they are grey and unusable..?

Also, the battle system, magic in particular since thats all Ive tried so far, is killing me with its slooooow ability to cast it. Not the speed or recharge, the thing thats killing me is..

See Enemy, double click enemy, press 2 for Fire spell, Do you want it AoE?, no..., Click on enemy to finally cast it..
Maybe Im doing it wrong..kind of hard to judge or figure out when if I let a rat bite at me for more then 5 seconds I die...

Isnt there just a way to "see enemy, Tab or click to target it, press spell to cast on it, press next spell etc..?" I find it tedious to constantly have to click on enemys to initiate fighting or actions expecially when they are moving and such.
Please dont tell me the game is a convoluted in its battle system and such.

edit: Please excuse my stupidity if Im missing something, I dont have a manual just used a buddies disc and code.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Welp, my computer parts and my girlfriends will be here in a bit under a week it looks like. I'll probably miss the inital FFXIV rush (well, second rush) - but I'll trickle in after the rest of the fools. I hope I enjoy this game! Maybe i'll play with GAF, but I get close to people I play MMO's with, I don't know if I should be getting close to people on GAF :lol

Londa

Banned
Just got a bronze needle and it gives you a little flower in the middle of your weaver tool. I love it! I'll post a pic after my game session.

RurouniZel

Well, I just started really playing now that I have semi-working settings. I'm in Wutai, just completed the first tutorial quest.

MetalKingGanon.jpg

Just bought the game..

Also bought a 360 wired pad.. I hear this game has to be played with a pad or something.. Is this true? If not I will just return it.

QisTopTier said:
Equipping skills to your OFFHAND is pretty much ment for the shield skills

Yeah think I figued it out..can only have so many spells on the bar since they consume points? So the reason the spells were greyed out was not because i couldnt use it was because I couldnt equip them on the hotbar..I think.

Still think it sucks I have to click an enemy mutiple times just to get an attack started.
Middle of fighting a rat he jumps, I miss clicking him and it screws me up..

And seriously..Tab'ing highlights players..why? Isnt there a Tab only enemys button?

What Im experience so far is a game that is to far from being streamlined in far to many aspects. Maybe its my lack of a manual.
Heck I cant figure out how if I pull out the city map how do I move it around to see it all besides the area Im in. I can see a good ways north/south/west/east but I cant figure out how to pan all over it with out runnning further in a direction.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Just bought the game..

Also bought a 360 wired pad.. I hear this game has to be played with a pad or something.. Is this true? If not I will just return it.

Plays fine without one, but it's a matter of preference. A lot of people like the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom