• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with physical level? I mean, it seems everything we do gives us physical experience. Does this mean that if I rank-up a different class, or even spend hours crafting and my party members don't, I'll be far more powerful than them when we next go out to kill things, though I'm the same rank as them in my fighting class. How are you supposed to balance your party this way? It's not fair to my party if I'm one-shotting creatures during the leves because I'm 4 levels higher than them.

Teknoman

About the LS glitch, just log out for awhile. As far as class rank leveling, just do guildleves, join others guild leves, and when all that is out, look around for random stuff to beat up on.

You really cant beat up any of the hardier monsters until at least rank 10+ and with better equipment, along with a party.

Dreamwriter said:
What's with physical level? I mean, it seems everything we do gives us physical experience. Does this mean that if I rank-up a different class, or even spend hours crafting and my party members don't, I'll be far more powerful than them when we next go out to kill things, though I'm the same rank as them in my fighting class. How are you supposed to balance your party this way? It's not fair to my party if I'm one-shotting creatures during the leves because I'm 4 levels higher than them.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of this, but there are a couple factors:

1) if you switch from, say, a rank 20 class to a level 1 class and start leveling, you'll be fighting low-level mobs. This will give you a pretty insignificant amount of exp for being physical level 25 or whatever you might be.

2) When you switch to a different class, your surplus for the new class is at 0, but your physical surplus will stay where it was and you'll keep increasing that. If you level a bunch of classes consecutively, you'll eventually hit the physical exp wall.

Alright. Going to go pick mine up. I plan to roll a toon on a server and then eventually roll a new one once Lind pops back up. You are allowed to have the second character for free until the monthly fee hits right?

Torquill

Dreamwriter said:
Phys level will give me more stats but the primary stat for battle calcs is probably rank. So at phys level 50 doing rank 10 leves at rank 11 you probably doing a bit more, but I won't think it will be as dramatic as 1 shotting. Hard to know for sure till some folks get that high.

Think of rank as your traditional level. Phys level is this additional thing

Teknoman

Yeah Class rank determines skill points gained, not physical level. While you might not gain as much physical exp when leveling a new job, you'll get just as many skill points as before.

Of course with better stats from a higher physical level, you'll rank up faster.

nataku

I really hope they add a mail and proper AH or market ward search system soon. Such a craft heavy game is made a million times more frustrating when you need to meet people face to face to trade materials. I'm still sitting in my starting gear because I can't find shit randomly searching through the market wards.

A LS based storage system would be awesome too, but probably a little too much to hope for right now.

hgplayer1

WonkyPanda said:
Just rolled on Rab and I went to Gradania (sp?). Dunno what the hell I am doing at the moment, lol.

check your journal that should point you in the right direction to get the story started. be sure to look at the map in journal to see where the NPC is.

Jinko

nataku said:
A LS based storage system would be awesome too, but probably a little too much to hope for right now.

I'm hoping for this when they add company housing, would make gathering and crafting much easier for everyone in the linkshell.

hgplayer1 said:
check your journal that should point you in the right direction to get the story started. be sure to look at the map in journal to see where the NPC is.

I am supposed to go to this place but the loc that the map shows me looks like no where near where I am. Can i scroll the map?

mephesta said:
Lindblum is up for character creation... GoGOGOGO! :)

My name is Mephesta Nymerian starting in Gridania.

Ohhhhh tempting... Seems like almost all of GAF is on LB. Then again, seems like the entire community is on LB :lol

Teknoman said:
Yeah Class rank determines skill points gained, not physical level. While you might not gain as much physical exp when leveling a new job, you'll get just as many skill points as before.

Of course with better stats from a higher physical level, you'll rank up faster.
Yeah, but my point is, if I'm level 16 in a level 9 party, that's TONS more stat points (over 40 more). Say I put most of those in Strength for a fighter class or Intelligence for a damage-dealer magic class, I'm going to be doing far more damage than the rest of the party, and thus not letting the other people get in as many hits. Not to mention getting more hate and all that. Class rank seems to get you more skills and skill points, but it's the physical level which sets how well your skills work.

The_Inquisitor said:
Installing. God dammit, so worried I am not going to get into Lindbulm.

Any word how long it takes to patch/install?
Install takes a bit of time - copying a few GB off the disc in thousands of tiny files. Patching downloads a 450MB file, you can actually get started on that during the install, check out the OP of the FFXIV thread in the Online section of GAF for direct-download link.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Id be down for Lindblum, but come on guys, that server is unplayable.

Fabul!

hgplayer1

The_Inquisitor said:
Wait so do you register your character on their website or in-game?

website

dont get in too big a hurry though. be sure to look over all your info. make sure you are registered in the right country. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't think Lindblum's numbers are any higher than any other of the starting servers.

Bottom line, majority of GAF is on Lindblum. We're not moving.

hgplayer1 said:
website

dont get in too big a hurry though. be sure to look over all your info. make sure you are registered in the right country. :lol

Ok. Almost done with my payment info. So my character is bought. Do I not actually choose the server till I am in-game? Only MMO I have played before is WoW on and off for 3 years.

OniLee

This may be a stupid question, but there are rank 1 crafting leves correct? I can't seem to find them. Are they located at that crafting guild?

Also I'm on Lindblum and was wondering if I could get a pearl. Name is Cabant Shinoblee, my zone is Gridania.

hgplayer1

The_Inquisitor said:
Ok. Almost done with my payment info. So my character is bought. Do I not actually choose the server till I am in-game? Only MMO I have played before is WoW on and off for 3 years.

in game. register your codes for any items that you are getting before making your character.

Feep

Banned
OniLee said:
This may be a stupid question, but there are rank 1 crafting leves correct? I can't seem to find them. Are they located at that crafting guild?

Also I'm on Lindblum and was wondering if I could get a pearl. Name is Cabant Shinoblee, my zone is Gridania.
No, they're located at the Adventurer's Guild, same as normal leves, but they're given out by the NPC standing next to the guy who gives out the "main" ones. They're called "Local Levequests".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DrDogg said:
INT = Mag. Atk. (damage)
MND = Cure Potency, MP, and Mag. Def.
PIE = Mag. Acc.

So if you're not worried about your spells missing you should be neglecting PIE, not INT.

O.O I know this, notice I said it's "not worth" worrying about them missing as in I DONT WANT THEM TO EVER MISS. haha why would I say I'm not worried about nuking and talk about debuffing mobs if I wanted int :lol

OniLee

Feep said:
No, they're located at the Adventurer's Guild, same as normal leves, but they're given out by the NPC standing next to the guy who gives out the "main" ones. They're called "Local Levequests".

Thank you,

Stupid thing was bugging me all night long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom