• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teknoman said:
We do still have a steam chat room...which imo needs an icon edit to reflect FFXI/FFXIV.

How do I access it? My account is pacman326 on steam.

Edit: Oh and this is the first collector's edition I have ever bought. Jesus the box was HUGE. :lol :lol :lol

Okay I get the attribute system.. but I dont get this elemental attribute points..

How does this affect stuff? D:

So far I'm just following my journal.. hopefully this is the right way to go through FF14.. Feels so weird distributing attribute points though. I dont want to fuck my character up with wrong choices.. likewise its odd since if I put so much into Intelligence and MND stuff for my Conjurer.. that just means I will never be able to use any type of melee or archer on this character.

So diff from FF11's auto distribute.

Ravidrath

3348_370bf998a72442f9.png

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, but my point is, if I'm level 16 in a level 9 party, that's TONS more stat points (over 40 more). Say I put most of those in Strength for a fighter class or Intelligence for a damage-dealer magic class, I'm going to be doing far more damage than the rest of the party, and thus not letting the other people get in as many hits. Not to mention getting more hate and all that. Class rank seems to get you more skills and skill points, but it's the physical level which sets how well your skills work.

There seems to be caps per rank.

For example I have 75 points in dex and still miss when starting a new classes. (I assume the reason is because class 1 is say capped at 25-30 dex.

Obviously someone of lvl 20/1 Archer will have much more HP and survibality than someone who is 1/1, although thats not really a problem in my opinion.

Its the same with higher level gear, your stats are scaled down to your rank.

The_Inquisitor said:
Ah fuck, the patcher timed out. Can someone link me alternative dl?

Use a torrent because it's going to be MUCH better. I downloaded the 400+mb patch in about 5m whereas the SE patcher was saying 4hrs. /facepalm

WonkyPanda said:
Use a torrent because it's going to be MUCH better. I downloaded the 400+mb patch in about 5m whereas the SE patcher was saying 4hrs. /facepalm

Can't. At school. Need direct dl.

Can someone share it on dropbox or something?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, a 2 player party is just fine - this isn't like FFXI where most of the game was designed for 4+ character parties, the storyline quests are generally aimed at soloing, and the Leves you can set their difficulties (which are ranked by suggested number of people in the party)

Does changing the difficulty of the leves have an advantageous effect (I am assuming so!).

If so, I would like 2 separate clear examples along with a (short) essay on the advantages and disadvantages of raising/lowering leves difficulties.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
TurtleSnatcher said:
Okay I get the attribute system.. but I dont get this elemental attribute points..

How does this affect stuff? D:

So far I'm just following my journal.. hopefully this is the right way to go through FF14.. Feels so weird distributing attribute points though. I dont want to fuck my character up with wrong choices.. likewise its odd since if I put so much into Intelligence and MND stuff for my Conjurer.. that just means I will never be able to use any type of melee or archer on this character.

So diff from FF11's auto distribute.
Don't worry about stats too much, you can respec as much as you like.

Does anyone have a link or know what the PS3 controller layout is? I got my USB ps2 controller to work but I want to see how the default controller layout is. Or, someone can share with me theirs :D

NVM, Found these:

Target/Open Menu
Directional Pad - Up, Down, Left, Right respectively

Movement
Left Analog Stick - Up, Down, Left, Right respectively

Camera
Right Analog Stick - Up, Down, Left, Right respectively

Emote List Stack Battle Commands
Right Bumper

Cancel
B Button

Select/Confirm
A Button

Main Menu
X Button

Auto-run
Left Bumper

Open Macros (Ctrl)
Left Trigger (Nice you can do this on XIV, couldn't on XI with wireless 360 controller)

Target Lock
L3 Button (Left analog stick button)

Passive/Active Mode
Y Button

Open Macros (Alt)
Right Trigger

Change View
R3 Button (Right analog stick button)

Display Map
Start Button

View Status Effect
Back Button

Kinitari said:
Does changing the difficulty of the leves have an advantageous effect (I am assuming so!).

If so, I would like 2 separate clear examples along with a (short) essay on the advantages and disadvantages of raising/lowering leves difficulties.
Better rewards from higher-difficulty leves. And it seems to get rank points up faster, although that could just be because you are fighting more/buffer enemies.

I put it in C:\Users\blah/Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv\2d2a390f\patch

Is this incorrect?

Edit: Oh! Do I need the 9.18 patch first before 9.19?

Am i doing something wrong? The dude at the start gave me a quest to go to Camp Bearded Rock (or whatever) and activate the levequest on the stone, but when i do that it says there are no levequests for that area. ???

elwes

Rentahamster said:
Don't worry about stats too much, you can respec as much as you like.

Can't you only respec for a few points once a day, though? That's what one of my guild mates was telling me. When I respec'ed my LNC to add more strength, I only got about 8 or 10 points back.

Ravidrath

The_Inquisitor said:
Thanks Wonky! I will have patch downloaded in 7 minutes. Love my University network!

Question about your university's no-torrent policy... does that mean you can't use the official updater at all, since it's torrent-based?

Also, would a paid proxy service like BTGuard allow you to get around the torrent restrictions there, maybe?

Ravidrath said:
Question about your university's no-torrent policy... does that mean you can't use the official updater at all, since it's torrent-based?

Also, would a paid proxy service like BTGuard allow you to get around the torrent restrictions there, maybe?

WoW updater worked just fine last year.

BlazingDarkness said:
Am i doing something wrong? The dude at the start gave me a quest to go to Camp Bearded Rock (or whatever) and activate the levequest on the stone, but when i do that it says there are no levequests for that area. ???

You have to get the levequests at the adventurer's guild first, then you can start them at the camp.

If anyone is available to give me a pearl, character name is Citan Oolab on Lindblum, currently near Ul'dah.

Baloonatic said:
You have to get the levequests at the adventurer's guild first, then you can start them at the camp.

Hmm ok, does the game actually tell you this? I'm so confused lol
Also, as a Blacksmith, can i actually attack enemies?

Teknoman

Baloonatic said:

If anyone is available to give me a pearl, character name is Citan Oolab on Lindblum, currently near Ul'dah.

I think he was talking about the beginning quest after the opening cutscene. The one where (if you're in Limsa) Baderon tell you to go check out the first camp, then after you activate it, it should automatically give you the levequest "my first adventure".

It pretty much walks you through that part with the npc linkshell and stuff, so i'm not sure what happened.

Maybe its different if you start as a crafting or gathering class? You can fight as them, but its not that effective...aside from buffs/debuffs they might get later on.

Did the npcs beat up the monsters for you in the opening cutscene?

So what do you do after you exhaust the leve quest? I did about 4-5 of em (failed one because of a D/C) and now I am lost as to what i am doing now. LOL. I am level 5 though :)

Teknoman said:
I think he was talking about the beginning quest after the opening cutscene. The one where (if you're in Limsa) Baderon tell you to go check out the first camp, then after you activate it, it should automatically give you the levequest "my first adventure".

It pretty much walks you through that part with the npc linkshell and stuff, so i'm not sure what happened.
Yeah that's the one, but for some reason when i try to activate the levequest it just says there are none for the camp
Bit frustrating really o.o

Teknoman said:
I
Did the npcs beat up the monsters for you in the opening cutscene?

Yeah the only option for smith is stone throw which is entirely useless

Teknoman

WonkyPanda said:
So what do you do after you exhaust the leve quest? I did about 4-5 of em (failed one because of a D/C) and now I am lost as to what i am doing now. LOL. I am level 5 though :)
  • Finish first story quest (if you havent already)
  • Go party with other people that have guildleves
  • Explore the surrounding areas and add more camps/aetheryte gates to your list
  • Try out one of the gathering jobs/crafting jobs

Cathcart

If you're on the spreadsheet, go back and update it with your job ranks for any job over rank 10 or so. For example, instead of just writing 'BSM' in the BSM column to indicate that you're working on smithing, just put in your rank. We'll know it's BSM since it's in that column. This way if someone needs a rank 20 leatherworker they can quickly see who can help them. Link is in the OP.

Teknoman

BlazingDarkness said:
Yeah that's the one, but for some reason when i try to activate the levequest it just says there are none for the camp

Yeah the only option for smith is stone throw which is entirely useless

Maybe its different for non-combat classes? Try checking your journal to see if it says anything different?

Xilium

BlazingDarkness said:

Did you go through all of the NPC linkshell dialog? I didn't start in Ul'dah so I don't even know if this applies, but in Gridania, you didn't get leve until you activated the lodestone and talked to the NPC through the linkshell.

Might have gotten lost on last page. How do you target an enemy after selecting a spell via the keyboard. (AKA dont want to use mouse) TAB switches targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom