• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Inquisitor said:
Might have gotten lost on last page. How do you target an enemy after selecting a spell via the keyboard. (AKA dont want to use mouse) TAB switches targets.

enter? I am not too sure actually

Teknoman

Xilium said:
Did you go through all of the NPC linkshell dialog? I didn't start in Ul'dah so I don't even know if this applies, but in Gridania, you didn't get leve until you activated the lodestone and talked to the NPC through the linkshell.

Yeah always answer the npc pearl when you see it flashing.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/basis01.html

Also you might be able to mess with the keyboard config for targeting hotkeys.

Teknoman

The_Inquisitor said:
So where the hell is camp bearded rock. I can't figure out the map for the life of me.

Go outside the town (lower level is the way out), and then check the map. Might have to scroll over a little, but its pretty close.

Teknoman said:
Go outside the town (lower level is the way out), and then check the map. Might have to scroll over a little, but its pretty close.

I can't figure out how to get out of town. How do I scroll on the map?.

Edit: finally got it. When in doubt, take the long bridge away. :lol :lol

I also dont understand how to attack. I select the target, hit my spell, and then hit enter. Nothing happens.

Edit: Ah it's because it was already engaged I suppose. Now I am having trouble finding damn stuff to kill for my leves.

Anybody playing on Trabia? Or where is the majority of GAF located anyways? I might re-roll, as I'm not that far into the game on my server.

Yet... If there are people there, my in-game nick is Arthe Xavier. Give me a holler. :)

Where is the documentation on taking screen shots? Did you all just guess and figure it out? I need to find out how to change it the keys for it, I cannot hit scroll lock and printscreen at the same time on my keyboard.

Teknoman

The_Inquisitor said:
I also dont understand how to attack. I select the target, hit my spell, and then hit enter. Nothing happens.

Edit: Ah it's because it was already engaged I suppose. Now I am having trouble finding damn stuff to kill for my leves.

Might be underground if you went to the yellow spot on the mini map/ full map and didnt see red flashing dots (enemy markers). Sometimes theres a nearby cave or tunnel/higher area, and they might be there.

Either that or you're experiencing server lag.

Got my guy up to physical rank 7.. Conjurer rank up to 6.

Seems ok. I guess you just keep doing Levequests until your head blows up? D:

Who do we message about LS invites.. because leaving your name in the thread doesnt seem to do much.

Teknoman

pancakesandsex said:
Where is the documentation on taking screen shots? Did you all just guess and figure it out? I need to find out how to change it the keys for it, I cannot hit scroll lock and printscreen at the same time on my keyboard.

Isnt it the same as in XI? Also isnt there a keyboard config in game? If not just use fraps I guess.

Rengoku

pancakesandsex said:

My keyboard doesn't have scroll lock, so in order to take screenshots, I had to download SharpKeys to remap the key.

Baloonatic said:
You just need to follow your mini map.

This game does a terrible job of explaining wtf to do. I figured out with 10 mins to go you have to go to lightly glowing area on map. I had no idea I had to start a quest at the crystal first either.

Now how the hell do I switch classes/do professions?

The_Inquisitor said:
This game does a terrible job of explaining wtf to do. I figured out with 10 mins to go you have to go to lightly glowing area on map. I had no idea I had to start a quest at the crystal first either.

Just take the game slow yo.

lol..

Also I think equipping said classes weapon auto changes your class.. I believe...

The_Inquisitor said:

Buy the weapon/tool needed for that class, and equip it. Note, while the *game* doesn't do a great job of explaining things, the instruction book is pretty good (and even has a full list of keyboard commands). And The Lodestone has more info.

nataku

The_Inquisitor said:

Open your map, there should be a big, glowing yellow circle where you'll find the mobs for your levequest. The arrow on your minimap points in the direction of the circle.

Most of the time when you kill the group at the circle, and new group pops up elsewhere, so open your map again to see where you have to go.

DrDogg

BlazingDarkness said:
Yeah that's the one, but for some reason when i try to activate the levequest it just says there are none for the camp
Bit frustrating really o.o

Yeah the only option for smith is stone throw which is entirely useless

As a crafting class you have to talk to one of the NPCs around the camp to initiate your leve. It's probably the one a bunch of crafters are surrounding.

Torquill

Druz said:
Is it true crafting is really the only way to gear up properly?
For now, maybe. Once the economy is more established, absolutely not.

The problem is people haven't leveled crafters to put the gear in the market for you to buy.

One of th reasons I'm holding off for awhile. They're trying a very player centered economy

LaneDS

The_Inquisitor said:
Is there any way to quickly teleport around the city? I am getting really tired of running.

Negative. You can teleport to the Aetheryte, but that's really not all that useful or a good use of your anima.

Torquill

animlboogy said:
I'll be letting this ome wait, I think... Winter break, maybe? Or PS3 launch, regardless of the platform I play on... Influx of new players AND an established economy! Does that sound like a good plan, or am I really missing out?
I'd prob do the same thing, cept indont think I can hold out that long. One good thing about ff mmos is people always leveling new jobs so not too hard to find lower peeps playing

I dont get these tailoring quests..

I go to the person I'm suppose to talk to and they give me the 'required materials' but I'm not sure how to make these tunics.. Like what do I have to use to make them? I have a ton of items .. :lol

Ignore my previous reply - I re-rolled a character on Lindblum, and will get a pearl tomorrow ( my in-game nick is Blade Runner ).

Contrary to the general concensus ( which seems to be overly negative ), my first impressions are positive. The atmosphere is familiar to an old FFXI veteran - the visual style, for example, is a direct successor to FFXI. And yes, the game is very beautiful. The soundtrack is also just about as good as it gets, as is expected of Mr. Uematsu.

The UI might take some time to get used to, but it isn't as bad as you might think from the feedback. It has its quirks, but alas, once you get the hang of it - and especially if you use a controller - it works.

I am already getting the tingling sensation of a new, unexplored world before me - a world which definetely seems to be worth exploring. I am not, and have never been, an end-game player, so the fun is all in the journey. FFXIV definetely has the potential to be the next best thing ( for me ) on the MMORPG -market.

DrDogg

Torquill said:
I'd prob do the same thing, cept indont think I can hold out that long. One good thing about ff mmos is people always leveling new jobs so not too hard to find lower peeps playing

I will have every crafting class, CON and THA to cap (50) before Christmas. I'll have nothing but the (hopefully) new jobs to level once the PS3 version hits.

I'd play GLA, but they need to give me an easy way to respec first.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I dont get these tailoring quests..

I go to the person I'm suppose to talk to and they give me the 'required materials' but I'm not sure how to make these tunics.. Like what do I have to use to make them? I have a ton of items .. :lol

Select "Synthesis" from the menu, then scroll up to "Requested Items" or something like that. This opens your local leve list. Select the crafting leve you're doing and it auto loads the items into the crafting menu.

DrDogg

Ugh... I'm looking at crafting recipes (instead of working) and I think I'm going to have to level Miner as well. It seems to be helpful to a lot of classes, and with no AH I see no choice but to add yet another class. Although I have no desire to get Miner to 50 if I can avoid it. :lol

jiggle said:
went away for the weekend and all i could think about was this game XD

any gaf shell on Rabanastre yet?

Yeah, we have a huge one on Rabanastre. It's called "reroll on Lindblum..." :D

Thanks DrDogg

Wow at this stuff giving you experience.. weird. haha

EDIT: So where can I pull up these recipes I earn after I complete these quests?? Says I learn the recipe but not sure where its 'stored'

Londa

Banned
Lé Blade Runner said:
Ignore my previous reply - I re-rolled a character on Lindblum, and will get a pearl tomorrow ( my in-game nick is Blade Runner ).

Contrary to the general concensus ( which seems to be overly negative ), my first impressions are positive. The atmosphere is familiar to an old FFXI veteran - the visual style, for example, is a direct successor to FFXI. And yes, the game is very beautiful. The soundtrack is also just about as good as it gets, as is expected of Mr. Uematsu.

The UI might take some time to get used to, but it isn't as bad as you might think from the feedback. It has its quirks, but alas, once you get the hang of it - and especially if you use a controller - it works.

I am already getting the tingling sensation of a new, unexplored world before me - a world which definetely seems to be worth exploring. I am not, and have never been, an end-game player, so the fun is all in the journey. FFXIV definetely has the potential to be the next best thing ( for me ) on the MMORPG -market.

So glad to see comments like this.

Jonnyram

jiggle said:
went away for the weekend and all i could think about was this game XD

any gaf shell on Rabanastre yet?
No GAF shell yet, afaik, but Shouta may start one. I'm in Ul'dah but I hear it's quite easy to move between the starting nations in this game?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My friends ls on Rab now has 60 members and everyone is very active and helpful :D You can imagine the none stop chain of leves that went on today :lol

Shouta

Jonnyram said:
No GAF shell yet, afaik, but Shouta may start one. I'm in Ul'dah but I hear it's quite easy to move between the starting nations in this game?

I ended up starting on Lindblum because all the FFXI vets I played with are on there. You should make the LS, Jonny. I am considering doing a second character on Rabanastre though because 8 leves every 24 hours isn't enough for me at the moment. I'm not terribly interested in crafting until there's an AH so that leaves me with some holes to fill.

Shouta said:
I ended up starting on Lindblum because all the FFXI vets I played with are on there. You should make the LS, Jonny. I am considering doing a second character on Rabanastre though because 8 leves every 24 hours isn't enough for me at the moment. I'm not terribly interested in crafting until there's an AH so that leaves me with some holes to fill.

Mine / Botany / Fish?

FINALLY got to party w/ some SoD peeps today and despite the fact that the dodos kicked our ass it was a good time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom