• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronotech

Crafting sure is hard to get into. The Leves are nice to have but when trying to craft outside of those, how are you guys gathering the necessary materials needed? Using The Lodestone, I can find some recipes... but trying to find the materials without an AH is ridiculous.

Meh. MEH!

daebo

Jonnyram said:
No GAF shell yet, afaik, but Shouta may start one. I'm in Ul'dah but I hear it's quite easy to move between the starting nations in this game?

Shouta said:
I ended up starting on Lindblum because all the FFXI vets I played with are on there. You should make the LS, Jonny. I am considering doing a second character on Rabanastre though because 8 leves every 24 hours isn't enough for me at the moment. I'm not terribly interested in crafting until there's an AH so that leaves me with some holes to fill.

Let me know if you do end up making one. Name is Alora Qiota. Would really like to get a big group going working off each others leves. As it is, I've had to mine, blacksmith and armor all weekend lol. I just want to fight and level up my Marauder.

nataku

Yeah, crafting in general when you actually need to make something you need is a huge pain in the ass. I'm trying to gather the materials needed to make a Harpoon and it's testing my patience. Randomly searching the market wards for NPCs that are randomly scattered in them drives me crazy.

Plus the lack of a mailing system means trading materials between players or people in the LS is horribly inconvenient.

Crafting in general is far too complicated with the current trading systems they have in place.

EDIT: Did they take Lind down? It won't let me connect.

"Unable to connect to World server.
Please visit the Final Fantasy XIV Official Site for details."

And there we go.

Decay24

Neo Member
We are currently experiencing technical difficulties where players are unable to access the Lindblum world. The issue is currently being addressed, and new updates will follow as additional information becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
From Sep. 26, 2010 20:51 (PDT)

[Details]
Unable to access the Lindblum world

[Reason]
Under investigation

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
For those Stars of Destiny Linkshell members yet to make the jump to our site and forums, make sure to make yourself at home.

I have also set up a sticky post here detailing websites with essential information on the game, including helpful databases for jobs, recipes and more.

I want people to stick around and enjoy the game. Is it rough? Yes. Will it get better? Yes. Should those of us who have made the jump have as much fun as we can in the meantime? Hell yes.

Shouta said:
I ended up starting on Lindblum because all the FFXI vets I played with are on there. You should make the LS, Jonny. I am considering doing a second character on Rabanastre though because 8 leves every 24 hours isn't enough for me at the moment. I'm not terribly interested in crafting until there's an AH so that leaves me with some holes to fill.

Realistically, we're all finding it hard to have enough time to do leves, because we're getting in parties and doing leves for 5-6 people sequentially in multiple towns.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I get such shitty performance with this game. 940 OCed to 3.6 and a GTX 480 nets me 30~ frames max, and below 20 in crowded areas.

Teknoman

_tetsuo_ said:
I get such shitty performance with this game. 940 OCed to 3.6 and a GTX 480 nets me 30~ frames max, and below 20 in crowded areas.

Strange...you arent forcing vsync or anything are you? Also do you have ambient occlusion turned off?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
No Vsync and I've tried turning AO and DoF off. The boost is there but not by much. The game only ever uses 60% of my GPU max. It's is just really strange.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
TurtleSnatcher said:
So how much of a disadvantage would I be at if I changed my Conjurer to a Puglist..

Im just thinking my gear will suck face so it may not be worth it.
At lower levels, the kind of gear you wear makes little difference so don't worry about it. You should worry about properly equipping yourself once you hit rank 10-15. After that, proper equipment makes a larger difference in your character's performance.

KaYotiX

Banned
Only thing this game REALLY needs is a dedicated AH, I went into the bazaar place and WTF was Square thinking. Such a cluster fuck.

As of now I'm just going find mats myself by mining. Having fun though and I haven't had this feeling about a MMO since Burning Crusade.

Varna

_tetsuo_ said:
No Vsync and I've tried turning AO and DoF off. The boost is there but not by much. The game only ever uses 60% of my GPU max. It's is just really strange.

Game is almost completely CPU dependent. It does not give a shit what kind of graphic card you have. Going from 9800GTX+ to a 460GTX only gave me like a 10 frame boost in the barren areas and it did not help the low curve at all.

Crafting wise, I do not own FFXIV, but I did play SWG at launch, which had a player run economy too.

Here is how it started:

During the first days there was nothing, because nobody has build anything. Most of the things that was worthwhile, in houses(player owned houses), weapons, armors, foods and drinks(buffs), droids(pets/utility/other helpers), vehicle designers, and so on... Nothing had been build yet.
The crafters had to start out slowly. Since many of them didn't know combat at all, they could not go out into the wilds and get the highest quality of minerals. of course as it was, only the most vicious and deadly animals had the highest quality of bone, hive and meat for example. so Bio-Engineering a Rancor was not just something you did.

Crafters first organised a price with gathers. people who could collect materials, metals, iron, hive, bone, and other substances to build stuff. the crafters would spam the marked making shitty low quality items in the beginning which the fighter classes had to buy(because there was nothing better to be looted... anyway, the crafters made a deal with gatherers on the minerals and suddenly they got better things to work with and they made better items which people paid more for, and the economy ran itself.

but not without its manipulation, twists and turns. it was awesome. If FFXIV makes it, it will be interesting to see the ecnomy starting up. if it can... making a player run economy is much much more difficult than going the WoW route. kudos to SE for trying something so bold, even if the rest of the game is not good at all!

Thoraxes

_tetsuo_ said:

Hmm. Check out the Nvidia 260.63 beta drivers and see what happens. I've heard stories of performance upgrades for many who have used them.

I don't know why'd you be running so low personally.
I'm getting a solid 30 FPS on my Geforce 9800 GTX+ OC and Phenom X4 9550 (2.2 ghz) 5GB of RAM, with everything maxed out and 16xCSAA. (I optimize the hell out of my system though).

Also if you run it windowed, I'd reccomend using the XIV Windower. There's a setting built into it that makes the game run like it's being run full-screen (priority-wise as a process) when you have it as the top window (i.e. playing it).

Another thing too is shadows. Man those kill. Some of my friends just turn them fully off, which you CAN NOT do in the "FFXIV Configuration" that is out of game, BUT you CAN DO in-game under the configuration menu.

Varna said:
Game is almost completely CPU dependent. It does not give a shit what kind of graphic card you have. Going from 9800GTX+ to a 460GTX only gave me like a 10 frame boost in the barren areas and it did not help the low curve at all.
I've found the complete opposite. Going from a Radeon 5750 to 5870 made the framerate go from very noticably slow and juddery all the time to perfectly smooth 90% of the time, and that's with everything set to max, rendering buffer set to "Resolution", depth of field on and ambient occlusion off (enabling AO brings the framerate back to where it was before my upgrade!) I was amazed by the difference, even after the benchmark score more than doubled.

But, um...testuo, you are complaining that you get 30 fps most of the time? I thought I read that the game was locked to 30fps max, so you are getting max framerate.

Vigilant Walrus said:
but not without its manipulation, twists and turns. it was awesome. If FFXIV makes it, it will be interesting to see the ecnomy starting up. if it can... making a player run economy is much much more difficult than going the WoW route. kudos to SE for trying something so bold, even if the rest of the game is not good at all!

Actually, the rest of the game is breathtakingly good. This is the one area people are most concerned about.

desa

_tetsuo_ said:

Try the latest Nvida beta drivers.

Munba

Teknoman said:
Stars of Destiny: Prologue to adventure

It's not much, but figured i'd make something with the clips I captured last night. Also something I noticed in the puglists guild.

Really cant wait to get back into the Tam-tara deepcroft and tear through the place to see whats at the bottom.

Nice video. They put a music in the Tamatara Deepcroft but i never heard it in the old alpha ost :0

What music is that in the beginning?

Teknoman said:
Sure, where are you?

Linsum. Running around the city lost trying to figure out where the hell I can buy mining tools and such. :lol :lol :lol

I really know nothing about this game. What should I be doing as conjurorist?

Teknoman

Munba said:
Nice video. They put a music in the Tamatara Deepcroft but i never heard it in the old alpha ost :0

What music is that in the beginning?

Music in the beginning was from 3d dot game heroes: Theme of the legendary hero.

The deepcroft still has no music, just stuck Ululations from beyond (FFXI track) on there. I really think dungeons could benefit from some universal theme...or at least having 3 or so themes for each dungeon style.

However, there is a dungeon in La Noscea (Limsa region) that does have music.

Shouta

Unknown Soldier said:
Realistically, we're all finding it hard to have enough time to do leves, because we're getting in parties and doing leves for 5-6 people sequentially in multiple towns.

How is that realistic? Not everyone can party all the time and what if your group has folks with the same leve? They'll all activate and you'll lose out on leve mobs. There's not enough regular mobs to kill in the areas and there's still no proper explanation on how the hell we're supposed to retry failed leves.

The_Inquisitor said:
Linsum. Running around the city lost trying to figure out where the hell I can buy mining tools and such. :lol :lol :lol

I really know nothing about this game. What should I be doing as conjurorist?
Casting spells :) Conjuror eventually has a mix of basic elemental offensive spells, buffs, and healing. Some people play Conjuror as pure healers, others as pure damage dealers, others as a mix. Some people mix Thaumaturge (adds debuffing/damage over time) and Conjuror spells.

Dreamwriter said:
Casting spells :) Conjuror eventually has a mix of basic elemental offensive spells, buffs, and healing. Some people play Conjuror as pure healers, others as pure damage dealers, others as a mix. Some people mix Thaumaturge (adds debuffing/damage over time) and Conjuror spells.

Haha I meant as in professions. I would assume tailoring or something. I have no idea how to join the proper guilds or anything.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Shouta said:
there's still no proper explanation on how the hell we're supposed to retry failed leves.
You just gotta wait the 36 hours until they reset. If you fail them, just wait and you can try them again. Or, you can go back to the adventurers' guild and swap them out for different ones (although exchanging failed leves won't give you reward bonuses).

Munba

Teknoman said:
Music in the beginning was from 3d dot game heroes: Theme of the legendary hero.

The deepcroft still has no music, just stuck Ululations from beyond (FFXI track) on there. I really think dungeons could benefit from some universal theme...or at least having 3 or so themes for each dungeon style.

However, there is a dungeon in La Noscea (Limsa region) that does have music.

I see, thanks.

The dungeon in La Noscea is that in the north-west (mistbeard cove)?

Shouta

Rentahamster said:
You just gotta wait the 36 hours until they reset. If you fail them, just wait and you can try them again. Or, you can go back to the adventurers' guild and swap them out for different ones (although exchanging failed leves won't give you reward bonuses).

That's not even retrying a leve, that's waiting for the timer to come up and getting a fresh set. Exchanging doesn't work either if it's your last leve. Just so much dumb with their implementation of the system.

Teknoman

The_Inquisitor said:
Haha I meant as in professions. I would assume tailoring or something. I have no idea how to join the proper guilds or anything.

Cant really join them...yet anyway. Most you can do is earn guildmarks (from higher level leves) for specific guilds. Eventually you'll be able to do job quests to earn more specifc rewards as well.

Oh and if you're online right now, meet any of the listed holders at one of the camps around Limsa.

http://stars-of-destiny.enjin.com/home

List/info there.

DrDogg

HappyBivouac said:
Actually, the rest of the game is breathtakingly good. This is the one area people are most concerned about.

So by "the rest of the game" I assume you aren't talking about the broken party system, broken SP system, broken targeting system, forced home point, or forced multi-job leveling? :lol

All from a mage/crafting point of view BTW.

The game isn't bad, and I have no intentions to stop playing, but it needs A LOT of work.

DrDogg said:
So by "the rest of the game" I assume you aren't talking about the broken party system, broken SP system, broken targeting system, forced home point, or forced multi-job leveling? :lol.

All that stuff is good enough for me. Sure it could use some work but it's still an extremely enjoyable game, gear/crafting/economy issues aside. I don't think any of those things you mentioned are broken, just not absolutely perfect. They don't ruin the game for me like the gear/crafting/economy issues nearly do.

Ravidrath

Are the materials to make dyes just completely unknown at the moment?

I'd really like to start getting some gear that is actually nicely colored, but YG doesn't seem to have known locations for dyer's moss.

Also, is it just me, or is everyone gouging all the time?

I guess it's good because it's making me go out and level crafts, but I spent all day harvesting and crafting... only to find that, like, all the Rank 11 armor I want needs like Rank 20 in mulitple crafts. Arg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom