• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
HappyBivouac said:
All that stuff is good enough for me. Sure it could use some work but it's still an extremely enjoyable game, gear/crafting/economy issues aside. I don't think any of those things you mentioned are broken, just not absolutely perfect. They don't ruin the game for me like the gear/crafting/economy issues nearly do.

I agree. Sure, the game will improve and get better ( FFXI now versus FFXI at launch are two completely different games quality-wise ), but I'm excited to be there since the beginning. I'm a Final Fantasy geek in that regard.

For some reason I can't connect to the Lobby-server right now. It keeps giving me an error-message. :/ Ah well.

Edit: Ah, all the worlds are in 'emergency maintenance' -mode. That explains it.

jiggle

Awntawn said:
I'm assuming this is to fix the mage party powerlevel exploit.

Pray for banhammers and not rollbacks 3;

what exploit is that?

Ravidrath said:
Are the materials to make dyes just completely unknown at the moment?

I'd really like to start getting some gear that is actually nicely colored, but YG doesn't seem to have known locations for dyer's moss.
!

iirc
during the closed beta, they were mined from grade2 in ul'dha and dropped from cactaurs

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Awntawn said:
I'm assuming this is to fix the mage party powerlevel exploit.

Pray for banhammers and not rollbacks 3;

shhhhh the mechanics of this is what is keeping healers on par with the physical classes in rank points. They better not screw us over =/ Now I'm not saying abusing it cool but, its really hard to do dmg to rank up as a caster compared to the melee classes that are spamming 24/7, if anything just cut the heal bonus at the end in half if they feel its too strong

zlatko

Banned
So how's the game a few days in? I've been a massive gaming streak with Reach with buddies who aren't online often, so I had to put FF14 on the back burner for the past few days.

I'll probably be back for more Tuesday night or Wednesday night. On Lindblum for you guys is it easier to get a hold of equipment yet or is everyone on Gaf just forcefully leveling up multiple crafts?

When I get back I'm going to keep grunting my way to level 20 leather working, weaving, armor smithing, black smithing, and alchemy. I think that should cover all my gear needs other than accessories from Gsmiths I'll buy.

zlatko said:
So how's the game a few days in? I've been a massive gaming streak with Reach with buddies who aren't online often, so I had to put FF14 on the back burner for the past few days.

I'll probably be back for more Tuesday night or Wednesday night. On Lindblum for you guys is it easier to get a hold of equipment yet or is everyone on Gaf just forcefully leveling up multiple crafts?

When I get back I'm going to keep grunting my way to level 20 leather working, weaving, armor smithing, black smithing, and alchemy. I think that should cover all my gear needs other than accessories from Gsmiths I'll buy.

I think it's very enjoyable. The world is huge, the atmosphere is brilliant, I haven't had a lot of lag-related issues and the game works fine even on my three-year-old computer ( I had to turn down a lot of effects, though ).

FFXIV won't be a very popular MMORPG, I'm afraid, but it will gather a hardcore community around it - just like FFXI did. I will be one of those - I don't know what it is, but I find the brutality and unfriendly nature of FFXIV ( and of FFXI ) much more appealing than the pastel-coloured, smooth as butter -world of WoW.

Ronok

As windowerxiv.com is down now, is there a possibility of someone giving me a link to the file hosted elsewhere? Also, what's the chance of me getting banned for using it? lol

Ronok said:
As windowerxiv.com is down now, is there a possibility of someone giving me a link to the file hosted elsewhere? Also, what's the chance of me getting banned for using it? lol

There is a windower for FFXIV? I just use the 'windowed' -mode from the official config. It works well enough.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Shouta said:
That's not even retrying a leve, that's waiting for the timer to come up and getting a fresh set. Exchanging doesn't work either if it's your last leve. Just so much dumb with their implementation of the system.
Yeah, that's not "retrying" a leve, but I think that's still what they meant when they said you could "retry" leves, since that's the only way of "retrying" a leve.

I think they put that in place so that people can't just do a leave to 99% completion, intentionally fail, and then try again right after. You could abuse the crafting leves fairly easily like that, and the battlecraft leves as well. Certain leves give really good SP, so having people intentionally failing and repeating the leve would be something they'd want to avoid, I imagine.

Granted, you could always get a bunch of people together who have that same leve and repeat it that way, but it takes a lot more work.

vjoe

Neo Member
Lé Blade Runner said:
There is a windower for FFXIV? I just use the 'windowed' -mode from the official config. It works well enough.

Part of the game window gets hidden behind the taskbar in my Windows 7 when I use the official windowed mode.

Ronok

Lé Blade Runner said:

I've been running in windowed mode as well, but I really want to play full screen while able to browse the internet. :lol It's a little distracting have parts of the page behind exposed.

kiryogi said:
Use autohide on taskbar?

I do this as well, and everything was fine for a while. But as there is a better solution.....

Awntawn

QisTopTier said:
shhhhh the mechanics of this is what is keeping healers on par with the physical classes in rank points. They better not screw us over =/ Now I'm not saying abusing it cool but, its really hard to do dmg to rank up as a caster compared to the melee classes that are spamming 24/7, if anything just cut the heal bonus at the end in half if they feel its too strong
I'm guessing they'll just implement a skill point gain cap per mob of around 500 or so.

Awntawn said:
I'm guessing they'll just implement a skill point gain cap per mob of around 500 or so.

Physical attackers are already fucked over enough in parties unless they are the tank or the #1 overall DPS, this would only make it worse. As it is Squenix originally put in the special exception for casters/healers because they whined about not getting SP in beta, most likely Squenix will reward the rampant exploitation of the exception by simply removing it and going to back to how it was in beta. This will make the mages angry again but they shouldn't have been mass-exploiting the new system the way they were. What Squenix giveth, Squenix taketh away. Learn your lessons well. :lol

Kintaro said:
For those Stars of Destiny Linkshell members yet to make the jump to our site and forums, make sure to make yourself at home.

I have also set up a sticky post here detailing websites with essential information on the game, including helpful databases for jobs, recipes and more.

I want people to stick around and enjoy the game. Is it rough? Yes. Will it get better? Yes. Should those of us who have made the jump have as much fun as we can in the meantime? Hell yes.

I put a links section up on the front page as well below the sackholder list. wanna add whats missing?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't see why SE doesn't just total up all the SP gained by every party member during the fight, divide by the number of party members, multiplied by an exp penalty for any mobs too high above or too low below your level.

Basically:

[(Sum of SP gained by all members)/# of members] * level difference penalty/bonus for each individual member.

That way, you gain SP guaranteed for every single battle (as long as you're not extremely higher level than the mob).

Fighting a monster for 2 minutes and not getting any SP at the end is incredibly frustrating. So is fighting a monster, getting 56 SP one battle, 350 SP the next, 0 SP the next, 130 SP the next, etc.

Consistent SP gains would be less annoying than than the random crap that goes on now.

Awntawn

Rentahamster said:
I don't see why SE doesn't just total up all the SP gained by every party member during the fight, divide by the number of party members, multiplied by an exp penalty for any mobs too high above or too low below your level.

Basically:

[(Sum of SP gained by all members)/# of members] * level difference penalty/bonus for each individual member.

That way, you gain SP guaranteed for every single battle (as long as you're not extremely higher level than the mob).

Fighting a monster for 2 minutes and not getting any SP at the end is incredibly frustrating. So is fighting a monster, getting 56 SP one battle, 350 SP the next, 0 SP the next, 130 SP the next, etc.

Consistent SP gains would be less annoying than than the random crap that goes on now.
I played UO, so I guess that's why I don't really mind the random skill gains :lol The glitch where you gain points during battle that are lost at the end because it doesn't display needs to go, though.

The hammer is going to come down soon.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=769ec8e213b1a0cf3cae79c9e25a020eed84861b

We have confirmed an issue where players may obtain abnormal amount of skill points by casting enhancing or healing magic to the party member. The issue is currently being addressed.

Also we would like to remind that repeating this method intentionally to obtain abnormal amount of skill point is considered as fraudulent behavior. With players who have abused this method, an investigation shall be made and their account may receive penalty including account suspension in case we determine it to be malignant. The investigation is expected to take a while until the completion. For those of you who have abused this method, please report yourself through GM Call. By reporting yourself in, GM will correct the amount of skill point and skill rank you have gained and the penalty to your account will be exempted.

I guess I'm glad I don't play a mage class, because pretty much every mage I played with the last few days tried to exploit this.

Awntawn

I'm glad they're fixing it. It's partially their fault for the design flaw, but exploiting is total lamesauce.

But I'm just glad there's no rollback :lol

Ronok

Rentahamster said:

Basically:

I've been wondering why they don't do it like this from the start. It makes no sense. In the long run it will just lead to everyone playing for themselves in a party. :-/

jiggle

:/
i just want to get in and use up my leves before the next 36hr ends
i hate that they don't let us queue up some leves

Ronok

BlazingDarkness said:
I can't even get to my character screen, keep getting lobby timed out
this fuckin game -_-

You act like this has been a consistent problem with the game... There have been problems for a little over 30 mins after maintenance....

JudgeN

Kyoufu

JudgeN said:
I feel bad for them because the problem here is SE has NEVER been good with nerfing. Anyone remember the Ranger nerf in FFXI? SE is going to fuck it up, I can just feel it.

Nerf what exactly? DoMs aren't getting many skill points as it is. A nerf would mean reducing their SP gain to zero permanently, which isn't going to happen.

Ravidrath

So what was the "exploit," exactly? Using enhancing magic on party members? Or was there some specific, broken application of that that people were using?

I play mages and definitely have not felt that my skill was keeping up with melees...

Londa

Banned
We have confirmed an issue where players may obtain large amount of skill points by casting enhancing or healing magic to the party member. The issue is currently being addressed.

Also we would like to remind that repeating this method intentionally is considered as fraudulent behavior. With players who have abused this method, an additional investigation shall be made and their account may receive penalty including account suspension in case we determine it to be malignant. The investigation is expected to take a while until the completion. For those of you who have happened to abuse this method without knowing it to be fraudulent, please report yourself through GM Call. By reporting yourself in, the amount of skill point and skill rank you have gained will be corrected by GM and the penalty to your account will be exempted.

For details on account penalty and prohibited activities, please refer to the following pages.
Account Penalty Policy
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=56910
Prohibited Activities in Final Fantasy XIV
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=56909

Repent and tho shall be forgiven! :lol :lol :lol

For those that think its harmless to exploit a glitch or faluty system to gain exp, rank, gil or items, SE thinks other wise. I was told about the glitch yesterday and I said " I rather not risk my account for something like that".

Awntawn

If my knowledge is correct, basically people would get a huge party of mages, start up a leve, turn on GA, engage a mob, and just cure spam without killing it for as long as they could. The skill points would then rack up and you get a hugeass chunk when you finally kill the mob. People got close to if not already maxing out Conj/Thaum within a few days.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Stars of Destiny: Prologue to adventure

It's not much, but figured i'd make something with the clips I captured last night. Also something I noticed in the puglists guild.

Really cant wait to get back into the Tam-tara deepcroft and tear through the place to see whats at the bottom.

Amazing music in Tam Tam, reminds me of ToAU. (or was it CoP)

Edit:- Haha it is the same music !! Doh

Zalasta

Shouta said:
That's not even retrying a leve, that's waiting for the timer to come up and getting a fresh set. Exchanging doesn't work either if it's your last leve. Just so much dumb with their implementation of the system.

Actually, you can retry them. After the next reset, they become available to do again, at that time you can either do them, or exchange them for something new without doing it. If you decide to do it again, after you complete it (or fail it a second time), you can immediately exchange them in unlike the new ones you've picked up that same period. So it is a retry and it doesn't count against you.

Coldsnap

Can someone please end this discussion with me and my friend. He has a Radeon 4550 and doesn't think he can run the game while I think he can. The rest of his computer is fine 3.0ghz 4 gigs. What do you think?

Coldsnap said:
Can someone please end this discussion with me and my friend. He has a Radeon 4550 and doesn't think he can run the game while I think he can. The rest of his computer is fine 3.0ghz 4 gigs. What do you think?

Run the benchmark?

Coldsnap

demosthenes said:
Run the benchmark?

Yea, we ran it awhile ago. I remember it being considerably low, around 800. I heard though that he benchmark really wasn't that telling of the games performance due to a MMO being more core heavy.

hgplayer1

Coldsnap said:
Yea, we ran it awhile ago. I remember it being considerably low, around 800. I heard though that he benchmark really wasn't that telling of the games performance due to a MMO being more core heavy.

Can he use your copy of the game and your friend pass code to try it out?

I had a low score like that and I am able to run it where its "playable"

8600 GT on a dual core here

Coldsnap said:

I had about 1200 points from the benchmark, and the game is running fine after I stripped down some of the effects and details. 800 can still do it, I think.

I completely ignored all the hype on this game and had written it off since I didn't enjoy FF11. Wife starts reading up on it and shows me some videos of it, seemed intriguing. She comes home this weekend with a copy of it and gives me the buddy code. We get started and I'm really at a loss here. It's slower than other mmos, but not to slow, the systems are convoluted, but... I'm liking it. First had to turn off the wow conditioning, let these new systems sink in and I'm kind of hooked now.

Spent all weekend playing it, we don't have lots of time like we used to, so the fatigue system sounds like it'll work in our favor. But I do have some questions:

-The bazaar: Please say something is going to be done to make this actually usable. A search feature is greatly needed.
Also I found how to purchase items you need, but it's like you have to already have at least one of those items in your inventory to place an order, is there any way to do this for stuff you don't have?

-Tradeskills: I want to get into these, but I'm a little confused. Why does some of my ore have +1 or +2 next to it, will that effect the quality of the item created? Also things like buffalo leather and sheep hides, can those be farmed off mobs? Or are they store bought?

Cathcart

Salaadin said:
It was suggested this weekend that we use our level numbers on the job spreadsheet instead of the job abbreviation to mark what we are playing as. That way, we can track other gaffers by level in case something needs to be crafted, etc. If you can, please change your row on the spreadsheet to reflect your job levels.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

Quoted for new page and for great justice. Also because I want to see who can make me a new weapon because these rank 1 punchers are getting kinda old :lol

JudgeN

Awntawn said:
If my knowledge is correct, basically people would get a huge party of mages, start up a leve, turn on GA, engage a mob, and just cure spam without killing it for as long as they could. The skill points would then rack up and you get a hugeass chunk when you finally kill the mob. People got close to if not already maxing out Conj/Thaum within a few days.

This, but I believe there is a cap to how much skill you can get per mob. 500 skill? Think its a little higher on leve mobs, but getting max skill per level mob is very much insane.

Coldsnap

hgplayer1 said:
Can he use your copy of the game and your friend pass code to try it out?

I had a low score like that and I am able to run it where its "playable"

8600 GT on a dual core here

Yea, I forgot about the pass code. Does he get a free weeks play? Can he update his account to paid and keep his character from the friends pass?

Salaadin

Cathcart said:
Quoted for new page and for great justice. Also because I want to see who can make me a new weapon because these rank 1 punchers are getting kinda old :lol

I want new weapons too but I think we will need someone double to required level to be able to make them reliably. A friend tried making a pickaxe for me yesterday. YG has it as a level 7 synth, hes a level 10 and from my understanding, it was next to impossible. I might just take my MIN, ARM, BSM, and GLD to 20 and then worry about new weapons for everything. By then, I think Id be able to craft some of them.

Has anyone been able to get Tin and Zinc Ore anywhere? I think Tin my be in the black shroud because I accidentally damaged some yesterday but I didnt see any after that. Are those 2 ores rarer than the others or something?

Salaadin said:
I want new weapons too but I think we will need someone double to required level to be able to make them reliably. A friend tried making a pickaxe for me yesterday. YG has it as a level 7 synth, hes a level 10 and from my understanding, it was next to impossible. I might just take my MIN, ARM, BSM, and GLD to 20 and then worry about new weapons for everything. By then, I think Id be able to craft some of them.

Has anyone been able to get Tin and Zinc Ore anywhere? I think Tin my be in the black shroud because I accidentally damaged some yesterday but I didnt see any after that. Are those 2 ores rarer than the others or something?

Both in the Black Shroud. Zinc is pretty rare but I have close to a stack (12)...is that the stacking number lol? And I probably have 15 tin ore I think. I get them randomly from grade 1 spots.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Both in the Black Shroud. Zinc is pretty rare but I have close to a stack (12)...is that the stacking number lol? And I probably have 15 tin ore I think. I get them randomly from grade 1 spots.

Awesome. Ill be mining Gridania all day then. I need to make some Bronze and get ready to make some of the lower level weapons. Thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom