• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgplayer1

Coldsnap said:
Yea, I forgot about the pass code. Does he get a free weeks play? Can he update his account to paid and keep his character from the friends pass?

Pretty sure its 30 days but I dont know if he can update it once the 30 days is up. Londa is doing the same thing I think. She could probably tell you more about it.

Salaadin said:
Awesome. Ill be mining Gridania all day then. I need to make some Bronze and get ready to make some of the lower level weapons. Thanks :D

Goodluck, my mining is level 9 now and that's through leves and mining whenever I find a spot while doing battlecraft and such. It might take you a while, but they're definitely there.

BTW, are you up for some more party play tonight? Despite all the deaths I had fun being able to kill with other ppl! :D I have longer than 90 minutes this time too! :D

Cathcart

What are some easy synths for leatherworking when you're just starting out? I don't want to use my local leves for it but I might do some leatherwork on the side to try and get it up to 10 for the crafting trait.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Goodluck, my mining is level 9 now and that's through leves and mining whenever I find a spot while doing battlecraft and such. It might take you a while, but they're definitely there.

BTW, are you up for some more party play tonight? Despite all the deaths I had fun being able to kill with other ppl! :D I have longer than 90 minutes this time too! :D

My Miner is 11 from mostly leves as well but I do spend a lot of my time strictly mining. Im starting to get an overabundance of ore and I cant do anything with it because I dont have a single fire crystal.

Anyone have any crystal getting tips? Fire, in particular because every recipe to turn Ore in Nuggets needs fire. Its irritating :(

Ill be up for some party play tonight. Ill be mostly in Gridania but I guess I can travel if we have to. Looks like leve reset is in about 8 hours, 36 mins so we should do it around that. Thats 8:00pm est.
If you or someone else has some open leves, we can do those too. All 8 of mine are gone until the reset tonight.

I also wont be online until 5 or 6:00pm EST.

Cathcart

Before you go mining today, use the reassign thing and put all of your points into fire. Then do your mining. Should help a little bit.

Salaadin said:
My Miner is 11 from mostly leves as well but I do spend a lot of my time strictly mining. Im starting to get an overabundance of ore and I cant do anything with it because I dont have a single fire crystal.

Anyone have any crystal getting tips? Fire, in particular because every recipe to turn Ore in Nuggets needs fire. Its irritating :(

Ill be up for some party play tonight. Ill be mostly in Gridania but I guess I can travel if we have to. Looks like leve reset is in about 8 hours, 36 mins so we should do it around that. Thats 8:00pm est.
If you or someone else has some open leves, we can do those too. All 8 of mine are gone until the reset tonight.

I also wont be online until 5 or 6:00pm EST.

Have you been able to get guild marks yet? If so is something like 'smelting training' permanent?

I'd like to know the best place for farming fire as well. I have some but certainly not enough for the 50 or so copper ore I have now :lol

edit:

Cathcart said:
Before you go mining today, use the reassign thing and put all of your points into fire. Then do your mining. Should help a little bit.

Ohhhh, would be interesting to see if this effects it.

Salaadin

Cathcart said:

I have most of my points in fire. I get a ton of fire shards this way but NEVER get crystals. Im not even sure how I got the ones I used to have :lol Probably from some leve.

demosthenes said:
Have you been able to get guild marks yet? If so is something like 'smelting training' permanent?

I'd like to know the best place for farming fire as well. I have some but certainly not enough for the 50 or so copper ore I have now :lol
No guild marks yet. Im eager to get there. Id like to do that with Mining first since thats my primary job it seems. My other crafts are all directly affected by my mining.

demosthenes said:
Ohhhh, would be interesting to see if this effects it.
It seems to affect shards. My top 3 attributes are Fire, Earth, and Wind and those 3 are also the easiest shards for me to get. I dont know about crystals though.

Salaadin said:
I have most of my points in fire. I get a ton of fire shards this way but NEVER get crystals. Im not even sure how I got the ones I used to have :lol Probably from some leve.

I think one of the Gridania blacksmithing leves offers 6 crystals per.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
I think one of the Gridania blacksmithing leves offers 6 crystals per.

Thats probably where I got them from.

I see you can buy them using guild marks though it looks like theyre only available for the craft type jobs.
Mobs drop them too. Chiglets and Glowfly according to YG. One guy is saying star marmots near black brush do as well.

DrDogg

HappyBivouac said:
All that stuff is good enough for me. Sure it could use some work but it's still an extremely enjoyable game, gear/crafting/economy issues aside. I don't think any of those things you mentioned are broken, just not absolutely perfect. They don't ruin the game for me like the gear/crafting/economy issues nearly do.

All that stuff is far from good enough for me. Partying was what I loved about FFXI and it's broken now. I feel like I can't even play my character right because S-E can't seem to do it right, despite the fact that they've done it right for years with FFXI.

Secondly, why is it I can kill three orange con mobs for a total of 150 SP, but then kill one blue con mob and get 184 SP? That's ridiculous. It's equally stupid that I can kill back to back blue con mobs and get 200 SP for one, and 60 or no SP for the other, using the exact same attacks.

I'm glad that I can access all these camps and the teleport system is decent, but what's the point of having my HP set at Ul'dah, only to have it changed as soon as a I do a guildleve? The Return function is now pointless, and I'm forced to either run back, or use more anima than I'd like.

And I'm sorry, but forcing me to level both CON and THA just so I can get Cure, Bio and Dia is not my idea of a good system. If I was leveling a tanking class I'd have to level all but two of the melee jobs to do it right.

I won't even mention the issues with the Market Ward. All of this zaps the enjoyment out of the game. Maybe it's fine for you, but this game has HUGE problems at the moment.

Ravidrath said:
Are the materials to make dyes just completely unknown at the moment?

I'd really like to start getting some gear that is actually nicely colored, but YG doesn't seem to have known locations for dyer's moss.

The info is available. You need mining to get the bugs, then I think it's alchemy. I'm picking up mining almost exclusively for this.

Londa

Banned
Found this about the level 20 quest after getting past the second set of missions quest:

Level 20 quest is acually 3 quests that i have found so far. In uld after doing the main storyline quest from the normal npc he says to find this chick in the walking sands. What you do is goto the market wards and teleport to the 2nd option The Merchant Wards. You do a quest get a quest companion and an addition npc linkpearl. Then when you are done there you goto the guild guy next to the mark vendor for whatever class you have over 20 and do another quest for your guild. All total you get 120k gil and 2k guild marks.

I want to know more about this quest companion. Is it like a fellow that helps you with quest (guess I have to wait for find out more)? Another npc linkpearl? Maybe its links you to your quest companion? The Merchant Wards gets unlocked.. looks like it might be another place to buy items from npcs. Makes sense, in FFXI there were areas you could only go to after reaching a certain level and completing certain nation missions.

demosthenes said:
Anyone up for partying tonight? Like 6-7 est time frame? Any city, rank 10 leves :D?
I'm down.

My leves are full so I gotta rely on others to level up now with leves :(

(is that how it works) Well for 36 more hrs that is.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I'm down.

My leves are full so I gotta rely on others to level up now with leves :(

(is that how it works) Well for 36 more hrs that is.

Yea, seems like it. So yesterday we I did a 4 and 5 star of mine and I'll use those today then to boost rewards. I'd be up for any city though, so I'll plan for 7pm ish.

BTW, anyone go to Nine Ives in the Black Shroud? I tried getting their as a rank 5 PUG and got murdered by a Buzzard for like 1400 dmg lol. I was almost there, is there anyway to get there without agro or what rank do they stop agroing?

hgplayer1 said:
Pretty sure its 30 days but I dont know if he can update it once the 30 days is up. Londa is doing the same thing I think. She could probably tell you more about it.

I am also on a Buddy Key, and it's 30 days free game-time. After that I think that you have to register with a CD-key, but I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to continue with my character.

demosthenes said:
Yea, seems like it. So yesterday we I did a 4 and 5 star of mine and I'll use those today then to boost rewards. I'd be up for any city though, so I'll plan for 7pm ish.

BTW, anyone go to Nine Ives in the Black Shroud? I tried getting their as a rank 5 PUG and got murdered by a Buzzard for like 1400 dmg lol. I was almost there, is there anyway to get there without agro or what rank do they stop agroing?
I haven't tried.

Instead I went towards that camp North of Gridania. Moss I believe?? Pretty easy run.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I haven't tried.

Instead I went towards that camp North of Gridania. Moss I believe?? Pretty easy run.

Yea, it's a very easy run.

But I have 2 crafting leves @ Nine Ives or w/e it is is :lol

Cathcart

I ran to Ivies as a rank 9 or 10 carpenter the other day. Just had to be careful but I didn't draw any aggro on the way there. Pretty weird that you have to go there for rank 1 leves sometimes, though.

TurtleSnatcher said:
They are usually Rank 5 not Rank 1.. but you can accept them at Rank 1 if you want..

Yea, my blacksmith and armorer are 5+ so I accepted them, didn't think I'd die on my way, will just try tonight and avoid the Buzzards.

Salaadin

I forgot to ask about Quarrying. Do those only exist in caves? Thats the only place Ive seen them so far. Any way to detect them like Mining points? I hardly find them

Londa

Banned
Lé Blade Runner said:
I am also on a Buddy Key, and it's 30 days free game-time. After that I think that you have to register with a CD-key, but I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to continue with my character.

No, I don't think you have to pay with a CD-key. Because in the instructions it tells you to download the game from your friends disk that gave you the free buddy pass. If you had to buy the CD-key then the whole free buddy pass would make no sense.

Basically, it gives your buddy the change to have the game without going to the store and buying the disk. But they need to pay for the next month before the trial ends, or they lose their buddy pass and will have to buy the disk for 50 dollars.

Salaadin said:
I forgot to ask about Quarrying. Do those only exist in caves? Thats the only place Ive seen them so far. Any way to detect them like Mining points? I hardly find them

Wait, you can detect mining points...how? :lol

If you run around the Black Shroud you'll notice all the Quarrying points are in the streams.

Londa

Banned
demosthenes said:

If you run around the Black Shroud you'll notice all the Quarrying points are in the streams.

you gets actions as a miner to detect points to mine in rocks, some give you flee if the point is far away from you.

Sal might be talking about points in Uldah and Limsa. In those areas there are caves with Quarrying. I don't remember seeing caves in the Black Shroud (could be why those points are in the streams, like in the gold rush when people shifted through the streams for gold). I guess each area is differen't in how you mine and harvest stuff. Like in Uldah you can hatchet cactus.

Is the regular edition coming out this Thursday coming with a buddy pass?

No. CE cost $75 while the regular edition cost $49.99. Maybe be why there is no buddy pass or extra add ons.

hgplayer1 said:
As I understand it, the Buddy Pass lets a person use the 30-day free trial that comes with the game...before buying the game. So yes they can continue with the same character after buying the full game, but they don't then get *another* 30 days free, they have to pay for that "first" month in addition to buying the retail game.

Edit: beaten by Londa

Salaadin

demosthenes said:

Miners have abilities that do this.
Lay of the Land will tell you how many steps you are from a point and what direction its in. Once you get close enough, it will also tell you if its a higher or lower elevation. 10 second recast I believe.

Prospect will tell you how many points are in each direction and give you a short "Quick" effect so you can run to the points faster.

As you level up, you get better versions of each of these that will detect higher grade points as well.

I also saw last night that the points your skills detect depend on the area you are in. I was near the level 1 Aetheryte in Thanalan and all I would detect were grade 1 points. The moment my map changed to Thanalan - Dry Bone, I stopped detecting grade 1's and would only see grade 2. If I stepped over the line back into level 1 Aetheryte territory, I went back to detection grade 1 only.

nataku

demosthenes said:

I ran there as a rank 10 Lancer and didn't aggro a thing, even though everything along the way was red.

Londa

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
As I understand it, the Buddy Pass lets a person use the 30-day free trial that comes with the game...before buying the game. So yes they can continue with the same character after buying the full game, but they don't then get *another* 30 days free, they have to pay for that "first" month in addition to buying the retail game.

Edit: beaten by Londa

Why would you have to buy the game if you have it already installed from your friends disk? In FFXI buddy pass they didn't make you rebuy the game.

ithorien

Man, what is this crap.

Been trying for two days, burning my buddy pass to get onto a server that a bunch of my old FFXI friends are on, but it's been locked.

Do they really expect me to pay them after my 30 day trial with this crap? I'm only interested in playing with my friends, wtf.

/rantoff

Londa said:
Why would you have to buy the game if you have it already installed from your friends disk? In FFXI buddy pass they didn't make you rebuy the game.

That's the general practice of everyone else though, so if that's indeed the case, SE is still a pioneer of this tactic. Trial codes usually are just that, trial, and they expire after the period is over.

Londa said:
To get the key to activate the game? I don't see why they would want to give away the game for free everyone else has to pay $50+ for. Maybe if the retail game was a lot cheaper, like FFXI is nowadays...

JudgeN

Londa said:

Does this mean I payed $75 for nothing when I could have came to GAF and asked for a buddy key? If so then SE you got me, you bastards :lol

Coldsnap

JudgeN said:
Does this mean I payed $75 for nothing when I could have came to GAF and asked for a buddy key? If so then SE you got me, you bastards :lol

You need a cd to download the game so now. Which is why I'm baffled that people are buying the passes off ebay.

ithorien

Coldsnap said:
You need a cd to download the game so now. Which is why I'm baffled that people are buying the passes off ebay.

Probably because the retail client of the game is up on the internets. If the buddy pass does indeed not expire after 30 days, then it makes sense.

JudgeN

Coldsnap said:

Its not baffling its called Bit torrent, at the end of the day the CD key is really what your paying for. Its so odd that they give you a "extra" key so to speak. In a way its nice but in another way it kind of pisses me off.

Londa

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
To get the key to activate the game? I don't see why they would want to give away the game for free everyone else has to pay $50+ for. Maybe if the retail game was a lot cheaper, like FFXI is nowadays...

Remember the person who pays for the CE ends up paying more than 50 dollars. I guess the extra 25 dollars goes toward that free access.

When I put in my buddy pass, it allowed me to spend money for next months play. If you had to go to the store and pay again for the retail copy then the would never give you the option to add crystal or add your credit card in pay to click. I payed for 3 months of pay on my buddy pass. The buddy pass code acts just like the normal FFXIV game registration code.

Does this mean I payed $75 for nothing when I could have came to GAF and asked for a buddy key? If so then SE you got me, you bastards

The paper for the buddy code said "use your friends CD to download the game and use this code"(there is nothing about buying the game after 30 days). Not, "you have the code, now go to the store after your 30 days and buy the game even though you have the game installed on your Hard Disk Drive". That would be bad practice.

Velion

Londa said:
Remember the person who pays for the CE ends up paying more than 50 dollars. I guess the extra 25 dollars goes toward that free access.

When I put in my buddy pass, it allowed me to spend money for next months play. If you had to go to the store and pay again for the retail copy then the would never give you the option to add crystal or add your credit card in pay to click. I payed for 3 months of pay on my buddy pass. The buddy pass code acts just like the normal FFXIV game registration code.

The paper for the buddy code said "use your friends CD to download the game and use this code"(there is nothing about buying the game after 30 days). Not, "you have the code, now go to the store after your 30 days and buy the game even though you have the game installed on your Hard Disk Drive". That would be bad practice.
Well most MMOs would have you to go out and buy the retail copy of the game and enter the retail key on top of your trial key. Its not uncommon for them to do that, Just don't be surprised if you get charged $49.99 on first payment.

Coldsnap

So regular editions are not shipping with the buddy pass? It's just a LE thing?

If so I'm gonna talk my buddy into splitting the cost of the LE.

Darkness said:
If this is true I should have just bought a buddy pass off Ebay for $15 instead of paying $75.
:lol

I should go make a post in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread then b/c I don't know anyone that wants it! :D

Coldsnap said:
So regular editions are not shipping with the buddy pass? It's just a LE thing?

If so I'm gonna talk my buddy into splitting the cost of the LE.
I thought I read that the Standard Edition comes with a Buddy Pass as well.

Teknoman

ithorien said:
Man, what is this crap.

Been trying for two days, burning my buddy pass to get onto a server that a bunch of my old FFXI friends are on, but it's been locked.

Do they really expect me to pay them after my 30 day trial with this crap? I'm only interested in playing with my friends, wtf.

/rantoff

That's the general practice of everyone else though, so if that's indeed the case, SE is still a pioneer of this tactic. Trial codes usually are just that, trial, and they expire after the period is over.

I dont think its permalocked.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
All that stuff is far from good enough for me. Partying was what I loved about FFXI and it's broken now. I feel like I can't even play my character right because S-E can't seem to do it right, despite the fact that they've done it right for years with FFXI.

Secondly, why is it I can kill three orange con mobs for a total of 150 SP, but then kill one blue con mob and get 184 SP? That's ridiculous. It's equally stupid that I can kill back to back blue con mobs and get 200 SP for one, and 60 or no SP for the other, using the exact same attacks.

I'm glad that I can access all these camps and the teleport system is decent, but what's the point of having my HP set at Ul'dah, only to have it changed as soon as a I do a guildleve? The Return function is now pointless, and I'm forced to either run back, or use more anima than I'd like.

And I'm sorry, but forcing me to level both CON and THA just so I can get Cure, Bio and Dia is not my idea of a good system. If I was leveling a tanking class I'd have to level all but two of the melee jobs to do it right.

I won't even mention the issues with the Market Ward. All of this zaps the enjoyment out of the game. Maybe it's fine for you, but this game has HUGE problems at the moment.

The info is available. You need mining to get the bugs, then I think it's alchemy. I'm picking up mining almost exclusively for this.

I think the difficulty system is still busted for some reason. Then again, i'm not sure if it depends on your class rank or physical level. As far as leveling every job...I dunno about that, especially since you wont be able to equip all abilities that would be good for a tank due to action point limits. That'll cause different types of tanks to arise. I think it's all about experimentation this time around.

HAttyboy said:
So, which servers do we GAF LS on (expect Lindblum)?

Rabanastre so far.

Amneisac

I'm not sure that skill points aren't kind of like 'weapon skill' points in FFXI where they are based on actually hitting the mob, doing damage, and a little bit of random luck. That is to say, you might not get the same amount of skill points every single fight because there's a little bit of randomness involved. I know I'll get skill points randomly each time I hit the mob, not just all at once at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom