• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

jiggle said:
making all components wouldn't be so bad if we get more inventory space
having to carry 2 weapons for 6 crafts as well as keeping all their respective ingredients for future use sucks

must be their way of forcing ppl to pay fore retainers :/

I haven't had any problems with that yet, but I have been burning through mats fairly regularly.

I do think we're all likely going to want a mats retainer and a gear retainer, at the very least.

RurouniZel said:
Anyone in Gridania can help me? I'm a warrior with money and no way to replace my gear! All they have around here are bows, lances and some leather. Does anyone know where I can upgrade my stuff? I'm lvl. 10.

Also, I've done all the quests available to me, so I don't know what to do to get more. Just... wait for them?

There's a big world out there, you know.

The Fellowship of the Ring said:
He often used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep and every path was its tributary. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Walk south out of Gridania and follow the main road through The Black Shroud. You will eventually leave the zone and enter Thanalan. Follow the road west until you reach Ul'dah.

The Gladiator's Guild is in Ul'dah, I believe. You can buy a sword at the weapons shop on the west side of the city, directly west of the arena. Then you can hop the ferry by walking west from Ul'dah to reach Limsa Lominsa. The Blacksmith's Guild is there if you want to buy a bronze chainmail from an NPC, but it would be much cheaper for you to buy a sheepskin harness from anyone who's selling it.

jiggle

Ravidrath said:
No, I think there's one every 10 physical levels.

I got one at Level 10, and expect another at 20.

i hope it's not like in the beta where
if u hit 20 before finish lv10 missions
u have to wait an extra 10lv just to see the lv20 missions

i barely have time to do missions so far

edit: is golden sacrifices
with the proposal and funeral scenes
the last one for Ul'dha?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Unknown Soldier said:
There's a big world out there, you know.

Walk south out of Gridania and follow the main road through The Black Shroud. You will eventually leave the zone and enter Thanalan. Follow the road west until you reach Ul'dah.

The Gladiator's Guild is in Ul'dah, I believe. You can buy a sword at the weapons shop on the west side of the city, directly west of the arena. Then you can hop the ferry by walking west from Ul'dah to reach Limsa Lominsa. The Blacksmith's Guild is there if you want to buy a bronze chainmail from an NPC, but it would be much cheaper for you to buy a sheepskin harness from anyone who's selling it.

Yeah, I just found my way to Thanalan. I REALLY like it here! ^_^ Lots of big, open terrain, a new city, new leves! (the Thanalan music kind of reminds me of Blue Dragon actually!)

Playing this game makes me wish that, at least on a superficial level, that this is what XIII had been; a simple not-so-obtrusive story with a large world to explore that doesn't completely shoe-horn you into one section until the story decides you may leave.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jiggle said:
2nqbo87.jpg

I just realized the Taru's look just like the eyepet....

2prxl6w.jpg

Jinko

I keep forgeting what the program is to best convert fraps.

Just did quest 3 in the gridania chain and wouldlike to upload it.

I tried researching how the game works (Never played FFXI) but I'm still confused.
People in here are talking about they have to spend most of their time crafting, is this true? Because if so that sounds pretty boring. I'd much rather quest and kill monsters.

funkmastergeneral said:
I tried researching how the game works (Never played FFXI) but I'm still confused.
People in here are talking about they have to spend most of their time crafting, is this true? Because if so that sounds pretty boring. I'd much rather quest and kill monsters.
It's because Square setup all the crafts to be very dependent on each other, and the NPC's don't sell hardly any weapons/armor. Since the game is really early and there's no central Auction House, rather than working together to craft important things like weapons and armor (as Square obviously wants) crafters are doing all the crafts themselves, which of course takes a long time to level all the different crafts.

Dreamwriter said:
It's because Square setup all the crafts to be very dependent on each other, and the NPC's don't sell hardly any weapons/armor. Since the game is really early and there's no central Auction House, rather than working together to craft important things like weapons and armor (as Square obviously wants) crafters are doing all the crafts themselves, which of course takes a long time to level all the different crafts.

Makes sense, probably hop in later in the game then. Also, are all the races that are posted in the OP available in game right now? Because it seems like everyone that posts pictures are only the human or little munchkin animal type race.

funkmastergeneral said:
Makes sense, probably hop in later in the game then. Also, are all the races that are posted in the OP available in game right now? Because it seems like everyone that posts pictures are only the human or little munchkin animal type race.
Heh - yeah, they are all available. The most popular race is actually the cat-woman, least popular are the big hulking guys

Teknoman

Jinko said:
I keep forgeting what the program is to best convert fraps.

Just did quest 3 in the gridania chain and wouldlike to upload it.

Just use Windows movie maker, create the movie as a WMV 720p file (or 1080p file).

Londa said:
Well, I just finished the chat session. The man said my account situation has escalated and that he wants my phone number and will call me on phone when he has figured out the issue.

Looks like you actually shook things up at S-E tech support... you going to switch back to your default account if things work out?

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
Just use Windows movie maker, create the movie as a WMV 720p file (or 1080p file).

Looks like you actually shook things up at S-E tech support... you going to switch back to your default account if things work out?

No, I'm going to just stay with my new account. I've done a lot on it. I bought the CE to play before the official release. If I waited for SE I wouldn't have been able to do that.

Jinko

Grid Video

Just about to retry it with 4 linkshell members. :D

Edit or not... it said "A maximum of 1 member may participate in this content. Please adjust your group size."

LOL

Baloonatic said:
I'm not really sure where I should start with crafting. Any tips? Not fussed which craft it is.
Find a vendor selling the craft tool (one of the NPC vendor carts in the main parts of town), buy it, equip it. Then go to the Adventurer's Guild, get a LeveQuest from the guy standing next to the guy who normally gives them to you, and get a crafting Leve from there. Figure out who to talk to to start the Leve, he'll give you the items needed to do it. Then bring up the menu, choose Synthesize, and Requested Items (you are crafting items requested by someone).

Dreamwriter said:
Find a vendor selling the craft tool (one of the NPC vendor carts in the main parts of town), buy it, equip it. Then go to the Adventurer's Guild, get a LeveQuest from the guy standing next to the guy who normally gives them to you, and get a crafting Leve from there. Figure out who to talk to to start the Leve, he'll give you the items needed to do it. Then bring up the menu, choose Synthesize, and Requested Items (you are crafting items requested by someone).

Oh right. I had a look at the leves but assumed I had to find the materials myself and didn't bother. Thanks.

funkmastergeneral said:

I haven't done any crafting or gathering and I'm having a blast with the game. Been playing since Thursday.

Teknoman

HappyBivouac said:
I haven't done any crafting or gathering and I'm having a blast with the game. Been playing since Thursday.

Yeah i'll beat up on some monsters with others, make money, go do some gathering to chill out and supply LS crafters with items, and then the rest of my time is just wandering around activating aetheryte crystals and gates.

The_Inquisitor said:
Anyone? It seems I can't find anyone to run with/ get invite >.<

:lol we were trying to find you last night, but dunno if you ever got the /tell about it. If you're online now, i'll jump on and see if i've got enough anima to warp.

Teknoman said:
Yeah i'll beat up on some monsters with others, make money, go do some gathering to chill out and supply LS crafters with items, and then the rest of my time is just wandering around activating aetheryte crystals and gates.

:lol we were trying to find you last night, but dunno if you ever got the /tell about it. If you're online now, i'll jump on and see if i've got enough anima to warp.

I had to sleep. Had class in less than 6 hours. :lol :lol I am on now. Thank you.

Teknoman

The_Inquisitor said:
I had to sleep. Had class in less than 6 hours. :lol :lol I am on now. Thank you.

Man i was finishing up a mining leve, coming to get you, then bam R0 for the server. Dunno if anyone else got kicked.

bran

I'm intrigued, but is this a game I can get good enjoyment out of say, play 5 hours or so a week for 4-5 weeks? Mostly solo?

Dreamwriter said:
Heh - yeah, they are all available. The most popular race is actually the cat-woman, least popular are the big hulking guys

Catgirl is best girl!

Jinko said:
Now this armour is kool.

archerw.jpg

Damn, where can one get this and what level do you have to be?

Bet you wish you were an archer now. Sucka! :lol

LaneDS

Anyone on Rab that can provide me with a linkshell presently?

Character's name is Ico Zwei, I'm in Ul'dah but can teleport to any of the three cities. WTB pants.

Ravidrath

Jonnyram said:
I'm playing on 2010 MBP.
With the GFX set to low, it's pretty smooth actually. So far, at least.

What res/settings?

Hoping this fall's MBP refresh boosts the GPU a bit, but I'd like to know what your settings are. I'm pretty sure the 330M is faster than what I've got in this iMac, so it can probably only be an improvement.

LaneDS

Just stuck my head in the market wards for the first time. That is as dumb and poorly implemented as I had imagined. Trying to find anything is a total crapshoot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dreamwriter said:

Once free months are over I wonder how the races will Balance out. In FFXI the catgirls were only ahead of Galka (at least according to the 2008 Vandiel census, which was the last to have race data.) That's of course if you add in genders of the other 3 into one race, but even if you don't the Mithra were #3 to Taru and Hume males. And other than very low numbers on Elvan female and Galka there was a fairly close balance between everything else. No race dominated.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/development/census/08/04racial.html
img05.jpg

I've noticed a good mix of all races, with Galka being the lowest. Of the Cat Girls I will say that it seems a huge portion of them are the seekers of the moon rather than seekers of the sun.

Ravidrath

OK, what the fuck? Why am I having such a hard time making Hempen Cloth?

I'm Rank 8, and it's rated for Rank 5. I'm using the Maple Wheel, and I'm still failing constantly.

Generally I...

- White : Standard
- Red : Rapid
- Gold : Standard, because Bold has proven too unreliable
- Pulsing : Standard​

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong, or is randomness just being hatefully random at me?

Jinko

Ravidrath said:
OK, what the fuck? Why am I having such a hard time making Hempen Cloth?

I'm Rank 8, and it's rated for Rank 5. I'm using the Maple Wheel, and I'm still failing constantly.

Generally I...

- White : Standard
- Red : Rapid
- Gold : Standard, because Bold has proven too unreliable
- Pulsing : Standard​

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong, or is randomness just being hatefully random at me?

Rapid all the way IMO.

or

White = Rapid
Pulsing = Rapid
Gold = Bold
Red = Standard.

Zomba13 said:
Wow, that actually looks pretty awesome. Do you know what stuff that is and can a PGL wear it?

It was on an archer I am guessing its just standard leather gear that has been dyed white, although I suppose it could turn out to be archer AF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom