• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Wtf?

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=769ec8e213b1a0cf3cae79c9e25a020eed84861b

We have confirmed an issue where players may obtain large amount of skill points by casting enhancing or healing magic to the party member. The issue is currently being addressed.

Also we would like to remind that repeating this method intentionally is considered as fraudulent behavior. With players who have abused this method, an additional investigation shall be made and their account may receive penalty including account suspension in case we determine it to be malignant. The investigation is expected to take a while until the completion. For those of you who have happened to abuse this method without knowing it to be fraudulent, please report yourself through GM Call. By reporting yourself in, the amount of skill point and skill rank you have gained will be corrected by GM and the penalty to your account will be exempted.

For details on account penalty and prohibited activities, please refer to the following pages.
Account Penalty Policy
http://support.na.sq...&la=1&kid=56910
Prohibited Activities in Final Fantasy XIV
http://support.na.sq...&la=1&kid=56909

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Oh and:

At the following time, we will be performing FINAL FANTASY XIV maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 28, 2010 from 9:00 to 12:00 (PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

EDIT: Apparently RMT were using that as some way to quickly skill up characters?

careksims

I love the expressions and animation in this game. Love taking screens with Fraps

ffxivgame2010-09-2723-52-34-77.jpg

lupinko

Hmm, I waited for my friend to give me his code, but whatever reason I tried redeeming it and it says the code doesn't exist? Unless I'm doing something wrong.

I'm talking about the FFXIII code btw.

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:
OK, what the fuck? Why am I having such a hard time making Hempen Cloth?

I'm Rank 8, and it's rated for Rank 5. I'm using the Maple Wheel, and I'm still failing constantly.

Generally I...

- White : Standard
- Red : Rapid
- Gold : Standard, because Bold has proven too unreliable
- Pulsing : Standard​

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong, or is randomness just being hatefully random at me?

When I craft I found it's realiable most the time to do this:

White: Standard
Red: Bold
Yellow: Rapid
Pulsing: Either wait for a solid color or try Standard or Rapid

Haint

So I'm fatigued/surplussed at rank 16...I thought they said it wouldn't kick in til at least 20. This was with very casual play, I've spent way more time leveling crafts and other classes than grinding this one job. I know people were confirming rank 20 start points a few days ago. What would have caused this premature activation? Have they said what they're keeping track off--play time, total SP, or what?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Reallink said:
So I'm fatigued/surplussed at rank 16...I thought they said it wouldn't kick in til at least 20. This was with very casual play, I've spent way more time leveling crafts and other classes than grinding this one job. I know people were confirming rank 20 start points a few days ago. What would have caused this premature activation? Have they said what they're keeping track off--play time, total SP, or what?
For what it's worth, during the open beta, I didn't get fatigued until rank 19.

Atrus

Gold Member
Teknoman said:
EDIT: Apparently RMT were using that as some way to quickly skill up characters?

Not just RMT. Word of this exploit spread and a bunch of people were explicitly using this to power-level themselves.

I have a pick I'll upload tomorrow of such a group. I tailed them after a leve near Drybones because one can't really miss such a large group with constant spell effects.

Atrus

Gold Member
Reallink said:

I don't know but I haven't hit the Surplus yet and I'm:

Rank 16 Pugilist, Rank 10 Lancer, Rank 9 Archer, Rank 12 Goldsmith, Rank 8 Miner and Rank 20 Physical.

6637_e8bd2e54131311b0.png

The Surplus system might be based on rate of XPing over time per job, which for me wouldn't be that much given that I'm constantly switching jobs.

I know someone who was only leveling pugilist and hit it at Rank 19 or 20 Pug.

Atrus said:

Rank 16 Pugilist, Rank 10 Lancer, Rank 9 Archer, Rank 12 Goldsmith, Rank 8 Miner and Rank 20 Physical.

The Surplus system might be based on rate of XPing over time per job, which for me wouldn't be that much given that I'm constantly switching jobs.

Doesn't the fatigue timer for one job start counting down as soon as you switch to another or something? Have they not explained it fully yet?

Haint

Atrus said:

Yea, I've been constantly bouncing back and forth too. I'm 16/12/10/9/8/8/5/4/4 across a variety of combat classes, crafts, and harvests. This is why it was so surprising I hit it at all, much less significantly earlier than people that straight grind 1 job.

Atrus

Gold Member
Borman said:
Just started!
That said, are there any guides to Leve's and all that? Sort of confused by how the system works so far.

You can do a maximum of 8 Regional Leves and 8 Local Leves every 36 hours. Once you finish leves you can trade up to four leves when you ask for another in order to boost the leve reward.

For instance I boosted a leve that rewarded 888 marks to about 1500 guild marks. Guild mark leves start appearing when you get closer to level 15.

Leves are broken into 3 factions and the faction with the highest or lowest ranking at a specific camp will have better rewards. (It hasn't been out long enough to test but the tutorial says as much). Leves come in difficulties of 1 to 5 stars but the difficulty tends to be all over. Generally speaking, leves that are silver bordered are harder to do.

When doing a local crafting leve of a craft you have leveled, the materials will be given to you. You just need to go to a point designated in your journal, talk to the NPC it tells you to, and then click synthesize. Then you click Requested Item, and then the leve will come up. Click confirm to get the items and all you need to do is make sure you successfully complete the synth.

The game gives you more materials than required and will allow 1 or 2 failures at most. Depending on the quality of the item, you may be rewarded bonuses when you talk to the NPC again after you've made the required items.

When doing battlecraft leves you can call on your Guardians Favor, which basically allows you to skill up faster. You can join other peoples leves for a slight reward, or many people can do the same leve together and get their respective rewards. The rewards change and will be different for each player.

If a leve has started and you were not in the party or got disconnected, simply click the Aetherite again and continue leve.

If you've accumulated 100 points for a faction, it looks like you can take a faction leve but I haven't done that yet.

Wow never knew about the Surplus system.

So weird.

Anyways..

Got to Phys Rank 12 tonight.. and Pugilist is now at 8. I have most of my starting gear replaced but a few pieces. And I'm no longer using my Onion Helm. SUCCESS! :lol :lol :lol

jiggle

using retainer bazaar for the first time
am i doing it right?

transfer items to retainer
put them up into his bazaar

that's it?
retainer will pop up in market war automatically?

jiggle said:
using retainer bazaar for the first time
am i doing it right?

transfer items to retainer
put them up into his bazaar

that's it?
retainer will pop up in market war automatically?

I think u gotta put your retainer in a market first..

I think.

Either way its a really bad system.. and not many people were shopping in there though lots of decent items i saw..

jiggle

TurtleSnatcher said:
I think u gotta put your retainer in a market first..

I think.

Either way its a really bad system.. and not many people were shopping in there though lots of decent items i saw..

thnx
and yeah, ppl are bazaaring in popular locations instead :/

Dammit, I'm starting to have regrets with my Miqo'te. She just looks so damn...innocent. I feel like a pervert just looking at her damn polygons. I am currently lv 7 phys and 6 Conj with about 13k gil all from quests. I wonder if its not too late to reroll.

Question for those who are further along or remember from beta:

I may be weird in this respect, but the most interesting part about FFXIV by far for me has been the story so far. I'm following the Ul'Dah quest line and loving it. I hit rank 10 gladiator tonight, so I continued the story by going back and talking to the bartender in the Adventurer's Guild who'd given me the original story quest. It was over pretty quickly, unfortunately, but still some really great cut scenes and interesting characters.

So here's my question:

My understanding is that the story quests seem to continue every 10 ranks. So do I need to get up to gladiator rank 20 to keep going now? And if so, do I go back and talk to that same NPC to do so?

Man, I would give anything to have more of these story quests in the game. Even if most of them consist of running back and forth between NPCs currently, getting some really high-quality Square writing within an MMO is very nice. I'm digging the dialogue and general story of the world way more than I did with FFXIII.

EDIT: One other question! I'm now rank 10 gladiator, as I said, and physical level 13. However, I'm pretty much still stuck with my beginner equipment. Any good places to go looking for new stuff? Preferably from NPCs? I don't really want to dig through the retainer nonsense. I could work with my linkshell to craft some stuff, I'm just not sure when I'll have time to gather mats, etc.

jiggle

when i first saw the name of this leve reward - dodoskin skirt
i didn't think it'd be as bad as the name suggested
and then i saw the icon and thought no way my character can equip it

lo and behold:
2gxnzwj.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

KefkaTaran said:
EDIT: One other question! I'm now rank 10 gladiator, as I said, and physical level 13. However, I'm pretty much still stuck with my beginner equipment. Any good places to go looking for new stuff? Preferably from NPCs? I don't really want to dig through the retainer nonsense. I could work with my linkshell to craft some stuff, I'm just not sure when I'll have time to gather mats, etc.

1) make your own (time consuming, but well rewarded in the future)
2) get from leves (rare and might not even be good for your job)
3) check random bazaars you run across
4) market ward

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Now so far I been trying a 1 vit/2mnd/4pie build with thm

what i been doing in parties is tossing up my debuffs, (slow, bio, dia, poison) then back up healing (sacrifce) and auto attacking.

But the thing is, the way they have their nuke set up to do bonus dmg after one hit I was thinking it might have potential like the warlock in wow were their shadowbolt ended up becoming really strong *back in the old day* as a dps nuker.

I'm just looking on input and theories :D

Mims

Was it just me or was anybody else getting more crashes than normal last night? Before I only had crashed once since retail started but last night I crashed atleast 3 times.

Salaadin

Mims said:
Was it just me or was anybody else getting more crashes than normal last night? Before I only had crashed once since retail started but last night I crashed atleast 3 times.

Not me. I havent had many crashes at all. Just one since the games launch.

Cathcart

So I found a nice camp spot near Gridania and got PGL (omg why isn't it PUG) up to 12 because I want to get in on that sweet guild point action next time we team up. Then later I was working on carpentry and hit 13 and suddenly rank 20 battlecraft leves were available. So I guess it just takes your max rank job to determine what's available, doesn't matter if it's a fighting job or not. I didn't even think of leveling carpentry to get pugilist guild points :lol

Bisonian

I'm looking for some crafting advice. I know there's probably an official thread for the GAF linkshell, but I was hoping someone could share some tips here as well.

I used local leves to power Armorer up to level 10, and now I find myself kind of stuck. I have not had a successful craft once on a rank 10 Armorer leve.

My first reaction was to go and make a better Armorer tool. I checked through some recipe databases and it seems both the second and third Armorer tools are a) expensive, and b) level 11 blacksmithing recipes. That would mean that I would need to level blacksmithing up.

So, I've been doing that, and I'm reaching the limit I can accomplish there. Naturally I tried to make a new blacksmithing tool to help out, and the first one requires a level 25 item made with a level 21 weaving pattern. What?

This doesn't seem to make any sense, and I feel like I've hit a dead end. How have people gotten over the level 10 hump on their crafting jobs? I know that I have neglected gathering an armor set for crafting, but the stats don't seem all that great. Does that make a difference? Should I suck it up and start gathering them? Otherwise, is there a better way to get new crafting tools?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

So is getting a PS3 pad working on PC easy these days? I remember reading awhile ago that it was a pain in the ass, but a lot of people seem to be doing it now...

Running Windows 7 Ult. x64.

DrForester said:
Once free months are over I wonder how the races will Balance out. In FFXI the catgirls were only ahead of Galka (at least according to the 2008 Vandiel census, which was the last to have race data.) That's of course if you add in genders of the other 3 into one race, but even if you don't the Mithra were #3 to Taru and Hume males. And other than very low numbers on Elvan female and Galka there was a fairly close balance between everything else. No race dominated.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/development/census/08/04racial.html
img05.jpg

I've noticed a good mix of all races, with Galka being the lowest. Of the Cat Girls I will say that it seems a huge portion of them are the seekers of the moon rather than seekers of the sun.

It always struck me as odd that Elves were so unpopular (and continue to be in 14). This is a fantasy game, don't people want to be elves?

Bisonian said:
I'm looking for some crafting advice. I know there's probably an official thread for the GAF linkshell, but I was hoping someone could share some tips here as well.

I used local leves to power Armorer up to level 10, and now I find myself kind of stuck. I have not had a successful craft once on a rank 10 Armorer leve.

My first reaction was to go and make a better Armorer tool. I checked through some recipe databases and it seems both the second and third Armorer tools are a) expensive, and b) level 11 blacksmithing recipes. That would mean that I would need to level blacksmithing up.

So, I've been doing that, and I'm reaching the limit I can accomplish there. Naturally I tried to make a new blacksmithing tool to help out, and the first one requires a level 25 item made with a level 21 weaving pattern. What?

This doesn't seem to make any sense, and I feel like I've hit a dead end. How have people gotten over the level 10 hump on their crafting jobs? I know that I have neglected gathering an armor set for crafting, but the stats don't seem all that great. Does that make a difference? Should I suck it up and start gathering them? Otherwise, is there a better way to get new crafting tools?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Grind out the rank 5 leves for your craft a little longer? Sorry I don't have an answer but I just hit the place you're at and was kind of wondering the same thing and planned on doing the above. Yea the skill ups are slower but I don't want to start using my own materials yet :3

I have decided that I won't continue playing this game after the free trial is over. The game just doesn't feel done, it really is a payed beta. Doing the same thing over and over (crafting and battlefield leves) gets too boring after a while, at least it does for me. Might get the PS3 version when it comes out if things have changed. It's sad because this have been my most hyped game since they announced it.

DrDogg

NeoForte said:

I'm beginning to think the colors do not have anything to do with which synth to use. Everyone seems to have different ideas about which colors mean what.

For example, for me it's been:

White: Rapid
Yellow: Standard

I'd like to say it's the ease of your next synth, but I've failed seemingly an equal number of times on all colors. So I don't know... :lol

Amneisac

MomoPufflet said:
It always struck me as odd that Elves were so unpopular (and continue to be in 14). This is a fantasy game, don't people want to be elves?

I think a lot of people may be put off by the effeminate nature of the elven males in ffxi and ffxiv.

Amneisac

I'm sure with time the crafting thing will be straightened out, but the only system that really makes sense is a system in which the color relates to the success of your next synth. Otherwise it just turns into a rote memory game. Might as well just go buy a Simon and bang away at that shit.

nataku

I hit R10 Carpenter and decided to try some R10 local levequests, only to fail miserably. Hell, I even failed a couple synths on some R1 leves at R9.

The crafting system is random as hell. I feel like I have no control over what happens.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
nataku said:
I hit R10 Carpenter and decided to try some R10 local levequests, only to fail miserably. Hell, I even failed a couple synths on some R1 leves at R9.

The crafting system is random as hell. I feel like I have no control over what happens.

Make sure you always, ALWAYS get support when you do localleves.

The system is just like FFXI's really. Even a 100 crafter can fail a very low synth in that game.

Jinko

DrDogg said:
I'm beginning to think the colors do not have anything to do with which synth to use. Everyone seems to have different ideas about which colors mean what.

For example, for me it's been:

White: Rapid
Yellow: Standard

I'd like to say it's the ease of your next synth, but I've failed seemingly an equal number of times on all colors. So I don't know... :lol

Yea ive come to the conclusion that:-
white = most success
yellow = medium success
red = least success
but then its so random at times its hard to know is this is true or not.

Even if this is true I just spam rapid, only switching to standard if i have a lot of durability left at 70-80% completion.

I don't use bold unless im over 50% as sometimes itwill fail and take 30+ durability with it.

The system is just like FFXI's really. Even a 100 crafter can fail a very low synth in that game.

Yup and this is complete BS, SE are fast becoming me least favourite dev.

Reallink said:
Maybe it's your physical level that's fatigued? Don't forget that both rank and level do it. And I hate to say it, but rank 16 in 5 days doesn't sound to me like "very casual play", particularly when you've been ranking a whole ton of other classes :)

MomoPufflet said:
In FFXI they were ugly as hell, that's why nobody wanted to be one. They are far better in this game (and thus I'm playing as an Elzen).

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Kintaro said:
Make sure you always, ALWAYS get support when you do localleves.

Here is an example problem I have with the crafting:

Bronze Arrowheads making for myself -> 95% of the time it's easy.
Bronze Arrowheads making for leve -> All of a sudden the same item becomes hard as hell to make. Then it becomes easy again at random.

That's just what I've noticed. :shrug:

Edit: Rank 14 Blacksmith

LaneDS

MomoPufflet said:
So is getting a PS3 pad working on PC easy these days? I remember reading awhile ago that it was a pain in the ass, but a lot of people seem to be doing it now...

Running Windows 7 Ult. x64.

With Windows 7 driver signing it's kind of a pain, but check out MotionJoy. It works just fine once you get it going (which is pretty straightforward).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MomoPufflet said:

Well Like I said, there really wasn't a huge difference in the race balance in 11. Not including Elvan (f) and Galka there's less than a 6% difference in the #1 spot and #6.

I do wish they could provide data only for characters over say, level 20 to get rid of mule numbers. I know on my server it seemed that Taru's and Mithra were the choice races for that Mule/Bazzar toon.

Einbroch

Banned
So, I played the game during beta and wasn't a huge fan of it. Has it changed at all for launch or since launch? I loved everything BUT the gameplay.

Thoraxes

NeoForte said:

I've been looking at it both those ways, but also i've been trying to see if the colors just represent a chance of success and these seem to be more accurate for me at least.

White: 75% Normal chance to succeed.
Red: 30-50% Chance to succeed.
Yellow: 80-90% Chance to succeed.
Pulsing: Completely random chance to succeed.
Waiting: Changes chance to succeed.

Just when I thought I was noticing if there would need to be a balance between quality and progress, it messed all up on me, so I honestly don't think there's a correlation between the two, but I do think that making it of a higher quality is much more risky because of the durability hit. This list i've made is also helps explain why the colors always seem to be flashing more than staying a solid color when sparking, at least I believe there's a correlation between the two.

Since i'm saying it's chance based, you always have a chance to succeed with whichever option you choose on any of them, and since we've never found a 100% correlation between color and synth. type, I honestly think what I have is correct.

Overall, I think that SE wanted to make a variable crafting system with some element of randomness in it, so that crafting would be different every time you do it, and not just mindless hammering on the keyboard. You have to pay attention.

EDIT: Access to facilities also gives you more chances to mess up a synth. before the crystal/orb becomes unstable/sparks, so you will have more control over the synth. for a longer time, assuming you're likely to mess up.

carlo6529

I asked this before and got an answer, but it did not work.

How do you cast spells like shock spikes and stoneskin on entire party? I have been casting it on party members standing in front of me, dead on,...etc and it only casts on the single target. Anyone know?

Haint

Dreamwriter said:
Maybe it's your physical level that's fatigued? Don't forget that both rank and level do it. And I hate to say it, but rank 16 in 5 days doesn't sound to me like "very casual play", particularly when you've been ranking a whole ton of other classes :)

In FFXI they were ugly as hell, that's why nobody wanted to be one. They are far better in this game (and thus I'm playing as an Elzen).

When you hit fatigue your TNL turns Yellow in your status menu. Green, by the way, means bonus XP (e.g. Guardian Aspect). Only my class TNL is yellow, physical is still white. I'm also only 21 physical, which is somewhat average if you've spent any amount of time around crafting camps. A shit ton of people will ding around that level and many are even several levels higher. I'd estimate rank 16 probably took around 20 hours, which is very casual play for an MMO IMO. I'm thinking either the system is bugged/glitched, or they're keeping track of more than just a single job's SP. Perhaps they're tracking/combining your entire SP pool (across all jobs) for the week, and fatigue your highest/most-played/most-gained one.

Soroc

carlo6529 said:
I asked this before and got an answer, but it did not work.

How do you cast spells like shock spikes and stoneskin on entire party? I have been casting it on party members standing in front of me, dead on,...etc and it only casts on the single target. Anyone know?

You need to toggle your Area Effect on so that the spell hits everyone in a cone in front of you.

When you click on the spell you'll notice the little area effect button at the bottom, click on it to activate it then cast your spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom