• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

With crafting I find it to be:
White = more likely to succeed with quick
Yellow = more likely with standard
Red = More likely with bold (but as always with bold a failure can mean a big loss of dura)
alternating all = go for what you want. equal chance of success
sparks = the more sparks the more dura you lose on a failed attempt
unbalanced element = you dun goofed

Works well for me anyway.

LaneDS said:
With Windows 7 driver signing it's kind of a pain, but check out MotionJoy. It works just fine once you get it going (which is pretty straightforward).

Thank you. I will check that out when I get home.

LaneDS

Einbroch said:
So, I played the game during beta and wasn't a huge fan of it. Has it changed at all for launch or since launch? I loved everything BUT the gameplay.

If you can, hold out for a few months. I was pretty vocal about my problems with the beta and frankly while the game has it's enjoyable elements I think it's still very undercooked and regret the purchase.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Crafting is easy for me. Rapid all the way when skilling up. I don't give a shit about quality, I care about completing the synth. Rapid eats less durability for more progress. When you're over the skill cap for the item, then you can work in standard and bold. However, they take a big time hit out of durability.

If you work with +1 goods, you can really use bold (and it's really the only time you should) to great extent, but not until then.

If you're skilling up and not trying to complete the synth for the points, you're doing it wrong.

hgplayer1

Kintaro said:
Crafting is easy for me. Rapid all the way when skilling up. I don't give a shit about quality, I care about completing the synth. Rapid eats less durability for more progress. When you're over the skill cap for the item, then you can work in standard and bold. However, they take a big time hit out of durability.

If you work with +1 goods, you can really use bold (and it's really the only time you should) to great extent, but not until then.

If you're skilling up and not trying to complete the synth for the points, you're doing it wrong.

Are you saying that you simply spam Rapid and you finish the synth every time? If so is this during leves or not?

Kintaro

hgplayer1 said:
Are you saying that you simply spam Rapid and you finish the synth every time? If so is this during leves or not?

I have a pretty good success rate unless the synth is above my skill level. Then no matter what you do, its a crapshoot. I always, ALWAYS use synthing support as well. This is during leves and general skill up.

Rapid allows two things. 1) quick progression and 2) low durability loss. Do you give a shit about quality when skilling up? No. I've also yet to see a big difference in rewards from leves due to quality.

It is all about the skill points.

Canti

When I constantly use the same type of synth I tend to get red sparks sooner on fails. Speaking of which, has it been confirmed what the sparks are showing? Does it mean I have a higher chance of failing synths, or I'll lose more durability on fails etc?

Kintaro said:
I have a pretty good success rate unless the synth is above my skill level. Then no matter what you do, its a crapshoot. I always, ALWAYS use synthing support as well. This is during leves and general skill up.

Rapid allows two things. 1) quick progression and 2) low durability loss. Do you give a shit about quality when skilling up? No. I've also yet to see a big difference in rewards from leves due to quality.

It is all about the skill points.

The only thing I've noticed is when I've gotten a couple synths w/ ridiculously good quality I'll get a full recipe instead of just 1st material.

Jinko

demosthenes said:
The only thing I've noticed is when I've gotten a couple synths w/ ridiculously good quality I'll get a full recipe instead of just 1st material.

You always get the full recipe.

Salaadin

Canti said:
When I constantly use the same type of synth I tend to get red sparks sooner on fails. Speaking of which, has it been confirmed what the sparks are showing? Does it mean I have a higher chance of failing synths, or I'll lose more durability on fails etc?

I havent tested it but I always thought that failing a synth while its sparking will cause a heftier hit in durability. Just an assumption on my part though.

As far as crafting goes, I fall in line with Jinkos testing:

Red= Standard
White = Rapid
Pulsing = Rapid
Yellow = Bold

Kintaro is right though. For lower synths and leves when all you want are the skill points, you can most likely get away with spamming Rapid. When it succeeds, you get a nice progress boost and when it fails, you dont get much of a durability loss so its kinda the "safe" way to craft.

Still, I mess around with the colors to try to find some pattern because it is info that we will eventually need to know and the above pattern is what I find to work best for me.

Kintaro

Canti said:

IMO, the sparks are an indicator of the synth in relation to your skill level. Basically, it means you struggle to make it.

An example: I made a bronze sheet yesterday and a level 1 synth yesterday. The level 1 synth (forgot what it was). Never sparked, but some choices failed. The Bronze Sheet, which is level 11 and the same level as my Armorer, sparked like a mother fucker, but I did not fail a single choice in synthing it to completion.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
I've definitely had some where all it gave me was "First material" and nothing else, but then again maybe it only has 1 ingredient now that I think about it :lol
:lol

Yeah some recipes only have one item plus any crystals/shards.

Kintaro said:
IMO, the sparks are an indicator of the synth in relation to your skill level. Basically, it means you struggle to make it.

An example: I made a bronze sheet yesterday and a level 1 synth yesterday. The level 1 synth (forgot what it was). Never sparked, but some choices failed. The Bronze Sheet, which is level 11 and the same level as my Armorer, sparked like a mother fucker, but I did not fail a single choice in synthing it to completion.

You might be right. It could be as simple as that. Thatd be kinda cool if thats all it was. It would be a nice way to tell if you should be attempting something or not.

Xilium

For crafting, I'm of the belief that the colors show probability of success/stability.

So basically, from highest chance of success to lowest, you've got: White > Yellow > Red > Flashing.

The amount the progress bar fills up with each success seems based on your crafting rank vs. the items craft level. I haven't seen more successes with lower level crafts, just larger progress gains with each successful synth. So I take the different syths at face value, in that they only effect durability loss and quality gain.

Going by that, I typically use Standard for white or yellow and Wait for red or flashing. If after 3 waits the orb doesn't become white/yellow, I use Rapid. I only use Bold towards the end if I've had a lot of successes and have some durability to burn as higher quality items lead to higher leve rewards.

I'm not sure what the sparks signify or if they have any effect, but they definitely happen more often when spamming Rapid. I can go all the way through a synthesis with Standard and not get the sparks (though sometimes they start up towards the very end) but they show up after about the 3rd or 4th rapid in a lot of cases.

It seems everyone has their own way of going about it but hopefully Square will release some actual hard facts.

Cmagus

Is there like a science to synthesizing things lol because I have been trying to make some kecks and I've failed like 6 times now and its getting expensive.Checked online says Weaver Rank 0 im 2 and I just don't get this.I've made materials fine but any kind of weapon or clothing its a no go.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cmagus said:
Is there like a science to synthesizing things lol because I have been trying to make some kecks and I've failed like 6 times now and its getting expensive.Checked online says Weaver Rank 0 im 2 and I just don't get this.I've made materials fine but any kind of weapon or clothing its a no go.
Weaver rank 0 means that they don't know what rank it's supposed to be.

Cmagus said:
Haha well damn I thought that meant it was just anyone starting out

Do like 2 or 3 more leves and you'll be up to rank 6 or 7 at least. Make sure if you get 4 attempts you do ALL 4. Even if it only asks for 2, always use ALL the materials given to you.

Kintaro said:

I agree w/ this based on my synths last night.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
By the way, speaking of synths, I acquired some Fish Glue just for GAF. If any of you are high enough level to use it successfully, lemme know.

Canti

Kintaro said:

Sounds reasonable. When you say "struggle to make it" do you mean stat losses were higher or gains were lower (if fail/succeed rate didn't make a difference)? Or both?

I've failed quite a bit getting the hang of Goldsmithing and therefore lost a lot of gil. Just when I thought I had the hang of it (white = standard, yellow = rapid, red = bold, flashing = wait) everyone posts up completely different methods still :lol Maybe I should just hold onto the cash and wait for hard facts.

Ravidrath

I'm not sure the sparks are for "struggling," but maybe...

I got a few HQ opportunities the other day, and got sparks on the one I succeeded on. It seemed to kick in as I was getting low on durability... but that doesn't always happen, either.

What does "Quality" do, exactly? My impression is that it affects HQ chance, and that likely each synth has a Quality value to aim for. But for every day synths, I think the higher the quality, the less Durability you'll lose on failures.

Blacksmith = 10.

Rank 1 leves = no sparks.
Rank 5 leves = some sparks, only near the end.
Rank 10 leves = guaranteed sparks by the end, usually start in the middle.

Reallink said:
I'd estimate rank 16 probably took around 20 hours, which is very casual play for an MMO IMO. I'm thinking either the system is bugged/glitched, or they're keeping track of more than just a single job's SP. Perhaps they're tracking/combining your entire SP pool (across all jobs) for the week, and fatigue your highest/most-played/most-gained one.
Exactly, 20 hours in under a week is far from casual play. I wouldn't be surprised if rank 16 is where they are starting that now, as the amount of skillups to earn 16 ranks is way more than the average casual gamer will get in a week.

careksims

I'm having such a great time because of the GaF crew. I been in MMOs before and I couldn't get into the whole guild thing. This time around, you guys are making it great. I whipped this quick. I wasn't going for accuracy here. :D I wish I could put everyone in there.

Stars-of-Destiny1.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
careksims said:
I'm having such a great time because of the GaF crew. I been in MMOs before and I couldn't get into the whole guild thing. This time around, you guys are making it great. I whipped this quick. I wasn't going for accuracy here. :D I wish I could put everyone in there.

Stars-of-Destiny1.jpg
Wow, sweet!

I find it funny that I immediately know who Six Tigers is :lol

careksims said:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/careksims/Stars-of-Destiny1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Awesome!

Can I please see what happens seconds after this 'shot'. Freaking Dodos! :lol

careksims said:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/careksims/Stars-of-Destiny1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

This is awesome. I don't think anyone is ever even going to give me a linkpearl.:lol

Salaadin

Baloonatic said:
This is awesome. I don't think anyone is ever even going to give me a linkpearl.:lol

What city are you in? I logged in Limsa last night but will be making a run from Limsa to Gridania later on tonight (maybe 8 or 9:00pm est) and in doing so, Ill be at all 3 cities. I can look you up then.

EDIT: Saw your post. Ill look you up tonight. Ill be online around 6:00pm est

Coldsnap

Anyone using a xbox 360 controller? When I go to gamepad settings in FFXIV config they have no default settings for the gamepad, so you have to program it all in yourself -.-

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
careksims said:

Stars-of-Destiny1.jpg

Awesome gestures, goood stuff :D

Coldsnap said:
Anyone using a xbox 360 controller? When I go to gamepad settings in FFXIV config they have no default settings for the gamepad, so you have to program it all in yourself -.-

Yes, you have to open up the FFXIV Config and map the buttons on the controller manually....but you only have to do it once and it's very simple.

Teknoman

careksims said:

Stars-of-Destiny1.jpg

:lol Awesome stuff (you've got to post this on the SoD forums). Whats funny is that this started up in another tab as soon as the image loaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGRxsqajkw0

Torquill said:
Am I the only one just using a good ok'd fashioned PS2 controller?

I'm using a PS3 (DS3) controller wirelessly...so, I guess I come close?

I love the d-pad on Sony's controllers, and if you are going to play FFXIV with a controller, you MUST have a good d-pad.

...just my 2 cents ;)

Torquill

mcdomination said:

I love the d-pad on Sony's controllers, and if you are going to play FFXIV with a controller, you MUST have a good d-pad.

...just my 2 cents ;)
Much love for the Sony Dpad. I wish they couldn't patent those things.

mcdomination said:

...just my 2 cents ;)

I'm playing with my 360 controller and I agree with you, used to play with my DS3 using motionjoy but everytime I used it I got bluesreen after a while. :/

Cathcart

Torquill said:
Am I the only one just using a good ok'd fashioned PS2 controller?
Nope.

Although I am going to look into using a PS3 controller if I can get it working with a bluetooth adapter. I've seen a few guides for doing that. I've also seen a guide to get the wireless PS3 mini keyboard working on a PC. I'd love to be able to use both of them through a dongle. Then I can kick back in my comfy chair without having a keyboard on my lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom