• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
asdad123 said:
So i bit the bullet. $50 shipped for a collectors edition on ebay (got lucky I guess)

Anyone playing this on a laptop? Wondering how it will fair on my machine.

i5 450 2.4GHz turbo 2.66
1gb ATI 5650
4gb ram
Yeah, better hope the guy who sold it didn't already install it and use the key to activate it, otherwise you aren't getting a playable game.

Wallach

jiggle said:
7179_1b3a01661d550edc.png

skilling up on conj is so slow =.=;

Your name sounds like "Gilette Razor".

glaurung

So I am going to pick up my CE (EU) from the post office today (yes, living over here causes such delays) and I am wondering whether I should get into installing and patching and all that crap right away.

What is the status of the game as it is? Is it still a paid beta or can I actually play it without too much grief?

Or should I wait a few months before subbing?

glaurung said:
So I am going to pick up my CE (EU) from the post office today (yes, living over here causes such delays) and I am wondering whether I should get into installing and patching and all that crap right away.

What is the status of the game as it is? Is it still a paid beta or can I actually play it without too much grief?

Or should I wait a few months before subbing?

It is still pretty much a paid beta, but if you want to be part of it since the beginning and have fun with GAFfers, go ahead and start playing immediately. I'm enjoying it, at least.

LeoStenbuck said:
FFXIV_1285735089.jpg

Shot of success.

Proof that catgirl is indeed best girl. :lol

Protip: set your Windows Update so that it doesn't automatically update your system and reboot your computer while you're busy looking at FFXIV. Otherwise you might find yourself knocked offline for up to 5 minutes rather unexpectedly while doing something important. :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
This is such a pretty game...

tell me people... is it a buggy mess still? Can you alt+tab or play the game while browsing other windows?

Is the gameplay slow and painful? How does it compare to WoW?

abq

jiggle said:
http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/7179_1b3a01661d550edc.png[IMG]

skilling up on conj is so slow =.=;[/QUOTE]
Why? Do you have to use magic to get SP? Doesn't hitting stuff with your weapon give SP?

danmaku

KefkaTaran said:
Question for those who are further along or remember from beta:

I may be weird in this respect, but the most interesting part about FFXIV by far for me has been the story so far. I'm following the Ul'Dah quest line and loving it. I hit rank 10 gladiator tonight, so I continued the story by going back and talking to the bartender in the Adventurer's Guild who'd given me the original story quest. It was over pretty quickly, unfortunately, but still some really great cut scenes and interesting characters.

So here's my question:

My understanding is that the story quests seem to continue every 10 ranks. So do I need to get up to gladiator rank 20 to keep going now? And if so, do I go back and talk to that same NPC to do so?

Man, I would give anything to have more of these story quests in the game. Even if most of them consist of running back and forth between NPCs currently, getting some really high-quality Square writing within an MMO is very nice. I'm digging the dialogue and general story of the world way more than I did with FFXIII.

I was thinking the same thing. If story quests activate every 10 levels, the whole game should have like 5 or 6 of them (I don't know the level cap, I suppose 50). Too few for a game that's supposed to be heavy on story.

zlatko

Banned
I swear this game wants me to hate it the more I play it.

I keep trying to enter the weaving guild in Ul'dah but the door won't open. I am not having lag either and other people around me are able to just go right through. The door won't open so I can level a craft I don't want to level but I have to.

/fume/rage/fucksquare

Edit: FINALLY opened after logging out 3 times. =/

Awntawn

Still kind of confused how Surplus works. Currently seems to display like this:

20frhv6.jpg

(Love how they call it a "Bonus" btw)

So there's bonuses, and there's bonus ranks. Since skill gain is so sporadic and random on its own right, it's hard to measure any drop-offs, but so far it skill gain seems relatively unaffected. It started at early rank 16 and even mid-17 I'm still occasionally getting as high as 450 SP a mob on leve/behest. I figured that the amount that displays just get lower and lower, but I'm told by some people that I'm just going to start getting less than the number that actually shows in the log. So far it's still 1:1.

Back in beta, it actually showed how many points got surplussed. I wonder if they're just hiding the number in retail, or if they're doing it a different way to make the effects less noticeable ;o

Mandoric

Banned
Zaptruder said:
This is such a pretty game...

tell me people... is it a buggy mess still? Can you alt+tab or play the game while browsing other windows?

Is the gameplay slow and painful? How does it compare to WoW?

Bugginess: Not really, which is a mixed blessing as we're donw to the -intentionally- silly things.

Alt-tab: Yes in windowed mode. It doesn't like losing its deathgrip on D3D though.

Play: Relatively slow yes, painful not really. It plays similar to an ATB FF on high; you can attack every couple seconds, monsters go every few, abilities range from instant to about 5-8s of charge/animation. Battle lengths, likewise, are similar to SNES FFs.

asdad123

Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, better hope the guy who sold it didn't already install it and use the key to activate it, otherwise you aren't getting a playable game.

I contacted the guy and he said he just opened it but didnt use the keys. If anything, Ill just file a dispute saying I was told the keys werent used when they actually were.

abq

Recieved my standard edition copy in the mail today. Gonna see if I can play it now or if I have to wait until tomorrow.

Rentahamster said:
Just bought a new axe (Iron War Axe) for 225,000 gil.

I'm fucking broke again :lol

Did you sell your old one?? Can I has (read: buy)?

By the way, looking to group tonight anytime after 5:30ish w/ my 8 leves if anyone is up for it!

Munba

New FAQ in the Lodestone site:

Markets
Q. I have read that there are changes planned to improve the market system, but is there any more specific information available regarding these changes and the direction the market system will take?
A. We have continued to receive copious amounts of feedback regarding changes that players would like to see made to the market system. As a result, we are planning a number of revisions and additions to the system, the first of which are scheduled to be implemented in the next one to two weeks.

Specifically, market wards will be organized according to specific item types, making it easier to consolidate similar items in the same area. Further, if an item sold within a ward corresponds to that wards’ item type, the tax incurred will be reduced. Items not of that ward’s category may still be sold, but the tax imposed will remain the same as it has up until now.

We will be closely monitoring the trends and developments of the market system following the implementation of these revisions and new features, and will continue to make further adjustments and alterations to improve player usability and convenience. For example, we are currently looking into options that will provide players with precise information as to which items are located in which market areas, or the ability to seek out specific items without the need for speaking to retainers, and more.

Also, we are now taking steps to increase the number of retainers that a character is able to simultaneously employ.

Anima
Q. What is the deal with the anima regeneration rate?
A. During the Open Beta, anima was recovered at the rate of one point every six hours (Earth time). Since service began last week for owners of the collector’s edition, however, that rate has been adjusted to one point every four hours.

Food
Q. What kind of effects does eating have on my character?
A. Eating food serves to temporarily increase certain stats, such as physical and magic attack power, or attributes, such as strength and dexterity. Also, there are foods and dishes suited more to the palates of certain races than others, resulting in more powerful effects.

Londa

Banned
Markets
Q. I have read that there are changes planned to improve the market system, but is there any more specific information available regarding these changes and the direction the market system will take?
A. We have continued to receive copious amounts of feedback regarding changes that players would like to see made to the market system. As a result, we are planning a number of revisions and additions to the system, the first of which are scheduled to be implemented in the next one to two weeks.

Specifically, market wards will be organized according to specific item types, making it easier to consolidate similar items in the same area. Further, if an item sold within a ward corresponds to that wards’ item type, the tax incurred will be reduced. Items not of that ward’s category may still be sold, but the tax imposed will remain the same as it has up until now.

We will be closely monitoring the trends and developments of the market system following the implementation of these revisions and new features, and will continue to make further adjustments and alterations to improve player usability and convenience. For example, we are currently looking into options that will provide players with precise information as to which items are located in which market areas, or the ability to seek out specific items without the need for speaking to retainers, and more.

Also, we are now taking steps to increase the number of retainers that a character is able to simultaneously employ.

Anima
Q. What is the deal with the anima regeneration rate?
A. During the Open Beta, anima was recovered at the rate of one point every six hours (Earth time). Since service began last week for owners of the collector’s edition, however, that rate has been adjusted to one point every four hours.

no I need more improvement than this.

Anima regeneration is fine.

But the markets are still so silly.

It makes no logical sense today when they want a more streamlined system that I should have to search through dozens if not more bazzars for one single item I'm looking for.

Zalasta

Kintaro said:
Do you give a shit about quality when skilling up? No. I've also yet to see a big difference in rewards from leves due to quality.

A friend of mine got fire crystals as reward instead of shards (appraisal rating of over 200), so there is good reason to produce high quality items for leves, unless you're swimming in crystals. Then again, that happened on a rank 1 leve while his GS is over 10.

Zalasta said:
A friend of mine got fire crystals as reward instead of shards (appraisal rating of over 200), so there is good reason to produce high quality items for leves, unless you're swimming in crystals. Then again, that happened on a rank 1 leve while his GS is over 10.

This info has grabbed my attention and I'm sure Sals :lol

Salaadin

Zalasta said:

Thanks so much for posting this. If theres something to this, Then I really need to keep up with the rank 1 leves. I have such a hard time getting crystals of any type.
demosthenes said:
This info has grabbed my attention and I'm sure Sals :lol
:lol
A good friend of mine actually gave me some yesterday for no real reason. I think I gave him 60 lightning shards and 100 earth shards and he unloaded 10 fire crystals to me. He says he gets them by skilling other jobs. I think he has a lot of the DoW jobs past rank 5.

I guess tonight, Ill go Bold synth all the way on the lower rank leves.

Zalasta

Salaadin said:
Thanks so much for posting this. If theres something to this, Then I really need to keep up with the rank 1 leves. I have such a hard time getting crystals of any type.

Well, I didn't believe him at first. He said he took a screenshot of it so maybe I'll ask for it, but I don't see why he would joke about it. Still, I haven't tried reproducing it (since I prefer to do leves that reflect my rank), so maybe one of you could verify it.

Bii

Rentahamster said:
Just bought a new axe (Iron War Axe) for 225,000 gil.

I'm fucking broke again :lol

How the hell do you have that much gil to begin with?

I'm having a tough time trying to obtain more gil other than going through the story elements.

Salaadin

Zalasta said:
Well, I didn't believe him at first. He said he took a screenshot of it so maybe I'll ask for it, but I don't see why he would joke about it. Still, I haven't tried reproducing it (since I prefer to do leves that reflect my rank), so maybe one of you could verify it.

If you can get that screen and post it, thatd be great. Id love some verification on this. Either way, Ill be trying it out tonight and Ill post my own screens if its successful.

Does anyone know what exactly the rank 10 GLD ability "Epiphany" does? I got this yesterday. Description is "Increases chance for improved craftsmanship of next synthesis. Most effective for parts." I assume that means it affects quality? If so, it might be good for this leve/crystal thing. Ill equip it tonight and see.

Bii said:

I'm having a tough time trying to obtain more gil other than going through the story elements.

Do 5 star leves. When you get new leves exchange your previously won 5 star leves for the new leve and it will increase your reward. If you've been keeping up to date with your 8 leves every 36 hours you can easily have that much gil.

Salaadin said:
If you can get that screen and post it, thatd be great. Id love some verification on this. Either way, Ill be trying it out tonight and Ill post my own screens if its successful.

Does anyone know what exactly the rank 10 GLD ability "Epiphany" does? I got this yesterday. Description is "Increases chance for improved craftsmanship of next synthesis. Most effective for parts." I assume that means it affects quality? If so, it might be good for this leve/crystal thing. Ill equip it tonight and see.

For an ability like that how do you equip it?

rSpooky

2 questions I hope someone here can answer. How bad is th emenu lag for any of you? It takes a long time for (some) menu's to open. And also it can take up to almost a minute for npc's to load in, especialy city area's. I just cannot figure out what part of my lag issues are local . i.e. my PC and what is from network issues. It would tremendously help troubleshoot the problem if I knew how the game works, I mean are all actions verified serverside or something?
I just dont know what is concidered "normal" speed for menu's , npc popin etc. All th etime I see a window telling em the target is defeated, while I am stil fighting. Just odd.

Secondly , my Wife keeps losing her macro's. I have a slight suspision that it is because sometimes she runs the game as admin as opposed to just normal.
Since th egame seems to save all settings under the my documents, my games folder , perhaps runnign as admin creates a problem thee. But I have not been able to pruposly reproduce the error using hat theory. Again does anyone know what I should be looking for to solve this issue?

Much obliged.. this game has been giving us to many frustration so far to have been really able to enjoy it.

btw, she runs AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz with a GT240 and I have a AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core Processor 2.30GHz, 4MB Cache,with an 8800GT, both have 4 gig of ram.Both have comparable menu , npc loadin speeds, issues, even on lowest settings.

Salaadin

Bii said:

What demos says. Keep with the leves. Even solo ones can get you 6-7k a pop if you keep up with them and trade in your completed ones every day and half. Battlecraft give the best gil rewards from what Ive seen.

demosthenes said:
For an ability like that how do you equip it?
The same was as you do your weapons but theyre in a different set of slots. Goto your ability screen and select the bottommost row. Your list of crafting/fiedcraft abilities should be there and you can equip them to the slots.

Fieldcraft abilities will randomly activate as you do that fieldcraft. Youll be mining when out of nowhere, your character will do a power up animation and youll see "Sharp Vision is now active" or something like that. I assume its the same for fishing/harvesting.

Crafting abilties will randomly appear below your regular synth options. Youll know they are there because youll see a scroll bar appear in your craft menu. Scroll down below "Bold synthesis" and youll see whatever ability is there for use. Use it, and then continue crafting. They are random though so they arent always there.

rSpooky said:
2 questions I hope someone here can answer. How bad is th emenu lag for any of you? It takes a long time for (some) menu's to open. And also it can take up to almost a minute for npc's to load in, especialy city area's. I just cannot figure out what part of my lag issues are local . i.e. my PC and what is from network issues. It would tremendously help troubleshoot the problem if I knew how the game works, I mean are all actions verified serverside or something?
I just dont know what is concidered "normal" speed for menu's , npc popin etc. All th etime I see a window telling em the target is defeated, while I am stil fighting. Just odd.

Secondly , my Wife keeps losing her macro's. I have a slight suspision that it is because sometimes she runs the game as admin as opposed to just normal.
Since th egame seems to save all settings under the my documents, my games folder , perhaps runnign as admin creates a problem thee. But I have not been able to pruposly reproduce the error using hat theory. Again does anyone know what I should be looking for to solve this issue?

Much obliged.. this game has been giving us to many frustration so far to have been really able to enjoy it.

btw, she runs AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz with a GT240 and I have a AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core Processor 2.30GHz, 4MB Cache,with an 8800GT, both have 4 gig of ram.Both have comparable menu , npc loadin speeds, issues, even on lowest settings.

Menu lag only sucks for me when Im dealing with my inventory or my retainer. Everything else is smooth.

Does your wife dc/crash a lot? Macros and UI layout is saved when you logout from the menu. If you change UI size and arrangement or create macros and then dc or crash, itll be lost and youll have to re-do.
To help with this, whenever I make major changes to my macros, I always log out immediately after just to be safe.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
demosthenes said:

I could not possibly disagree more. Anima regen is terrible. The single biggest chore in the game right now isn't the market wards, it is the travel. Without Chocobos, travels takes forrrrrrevvvvvverrrrrr... I don't care how pretty your game is, when you have to travel so much to turn in Localleves, then go to towns in order to take advantage of the eight Guildleves/Localleves, anima regen rate is NOT fine.

That is one port per day basically. To a camp.

It's sad that SE wants to press on with the market wards w/o an AH. You see bazaars everwhere on people because they don't want to deal with it. Guilds are laggy messes with all the people crafting competing for space with people AFKing in bazaar mode.

It's not working and it won't work.

abq

Did the code for the Onion helmet come in the case or did you recieve it in the mail after registering your copy of the CE?

Kintaro said:
I could not possibly disagree more. Anima regen is terrible. The single biggest chore in the game right now isn't the market wards, it is the travel. Without Chocobos, travels takes forrrrrrevvvvvverrrrrr... I don't care how pretty your game is, when you have to travel so much to turn in Localleves, then go to towns in order to take advantage of the eight Guildleves/Localleves, anima regen rate is NOT fine.

That is one port per day basically. To a camp.

It's sad that SE wants to press on with the market wards w/o an AH. You see bazaars everwhere on people because they don't want to deal with it. Guilds are laggy messes with all the people crafting competing for space with people AFKing in bazaar mode.

It's not working and it won't work.

I dunno, I don't think they wanted people warping all over every single day. I should have said though, it will be fine when other forms of transportation are also added.

JudgeN

demosthenes said:

Its not fine because we still using anima at the same rate we were using it in the open beta. Instead of having to use mass anima to do leve's every 48 hours not we doing it every 36 hours. The results are the same when it comes to usage, anima need to regen FASTER then we are using it, 12 anima every 24 hours would be perfect or they could adjust the price for teleporting.

IE:
4 anima to TP to different region
2 TP to camp in same region
1 non camp aethorite (or however that spelled)
1 return or you can just die

I can deal with all the other games bugs but the traveling part is starting to piss me off so bad because I don't want to waste anima.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
demosthenes said:
I dunno, I don't think they wanted people warping all over every single day. I should have said though, it will be fine when other forms of transportation are also added.

Directly from SE's mouth, the main way to level in this game are leves. The main way to travel to leves are anima. Especially if they're doing leves in Ul'dah and you're in Limsa. Especially since localleves send you all over the place to turn in.

What needs to happen is this:

1) Anima regen rate needs raising.
2) They needs to enable free travel from Camp crystal to Camp crystal in the same region.
3) Chocobos needs to be added ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom