• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Kandinsky said:
Fuck this game and fuck SE.

Lol.

Effect said:
The run from the Hume city in FFXI to Juno reminded me of that run. Though that was harder since the interface and control of the character felt limiting. Also creatures didn't seem to stop chasing you in FFXI.
I kinda miss all the aggro and chasing from FFXI. I remember so many times that I would think I outran a mob so I would rest and 2 mins later, dead. I quickly learned that the mobs rarely stopped unless you zoned.

One thing that I am seeing about XIV so far is that it still seems possible to train aggro mobs and then kill other players with them.
I was doing Mining leves in Black Shroud the other day right by some anglers. They were out of range and wouldnt see me but some taru shithead got aggro and ran right by me. 1 minute later, the anglers came trotting back and attacked me. I made it away safely but almost lost the leve because of the waiting I had to do for them to re-position and get back to where Id be safe again.

Londa

Banned
Kintaro said:
For all the problems, FFXIV is like this avatar.

23uzoy905sd.gif

It shakes what it momma gave it very well and there's enough there to keep you playing. However, she drives you nucking futs because she's missing basic elements that others have plenty of. But...when she shakes, you just can't stop.

The potential is there, but with SE's track record, time is not on our side. Or theirs. Because there will quickly be other breast shaking MMOs out there that do not lack basic, fundamental things that should be required in the year 2010. Let alone 2005.

I don't get this o_O....

Salaadin

Londa said:
I don't get this o_O....

Oh, its quite simply really.....
Kintaro has sex with his videogames.

Kintaro said:
From a Gamewatch interview. Chocobos aren't coming any time soon. =/

I dont get this. What more can they add to chocobos? FFXI had riding, digging, breeding, racing. Am I missing anything?

To expand on that youd need what....chocobo battles? chocobo flying? Chocobos carrying an entire carriage full of us?

nataku

Londa said:
TBH that system will make it harder for people just want to sell stuff from leves and killing at random. You get so much crap from all over the place. There is no where to sell everything all at once. You have to make sure each drop falls in that category and if it doesn't you can't sell it there because of the tax...

It's not like they're imposing some kind of super heavy tax on stuff that doesn't fit in the category. It's the exact same tax currently in place for items that don't fit. I don't think I've read anyone complain about the current tax, which I believe is 5%.

Kintaro said:
Speaking of Chocobos...
GW: When can we ride the chocobos?

DK: You’ll have to wait a little longer. It’s easy enough to make them ridable, but we already have teleportation available from the get-go. Compared to that, a chocobo isn’t very convenient. Therefore, we want to add something more to them, so we’ll probably time it to coincide with other new content (*perhaps as a way of accessing it?).

From a Gamewatch interview. Chocobos aren't coming any time soon. =/

The fuck? :lol Running my ass around to get to places once my anima runs out isn't very convenient, SE.

LaneDS

Salaadin said:
I dont get this. What more can they add to chocobos? FFXI had riding, digging, breeding, racing. Am I missing anything?

To expand on that youd need what....chocobo battles? chocobo flying? Chocobos carrying an entire carriage full of us?

They said making chocobos rideable is easy, but maybe they haven't yet figured out how to let players dismount. This is, after all, the only MMO I've ever played that doesn't even let you sort or rearrange your inventory. Once they master both aspects of chocobos I'm sure you can expect to see them next year, along with mailboxes.

...this game has made me bitter.

Torquill

I think SE is missing the point on the chocos. It would be a less instant transport with a different form of currency.

You know. I really don't think they're that dumb. I think they are just making up bullshit reasons when they should just be honest. They had to prioritize shit and chocs was out lower on the list. If it was a mistake own it! Don't feed me bs about it not being useful.

LaneDS

Torquill said:
I think SE is missing the point on the chocos. It would be a less instant transport with a different form of currency.

You know. I really don't think they're that dumb. I think they are just making up bullshit reasons when they should just be honest. They had to prioritize shit and chocs was out lower on the list. If it was a mistake own it! Don't feed me bs about it not being useful.

They're so good at feeding us BS though! Remember a few weeks back they stated they had "no plans" to implement a hardware mouse cursor? Not long after, someone discovers they can change one value and hey, hardware mouse cursor ready to go! Then it's magically a feature at launch.

Square won't own up to issues until they're super apparent to everyone it seems.

Zomba13

I don't care if Chocos are slow coming as long as we get to race and raise them again (RIP Black Hayate the Red Chocobo on my FFXI account. You earned me 30K a day and I will always love you)

If we just get to rent them to ride and they wont be in for ages then that's bull shit.

Torquill

It can't be that hard. They have the models (assuming they dint need to make changes based on adding animation). They just need riding an being ridden (/snicker) animations and the proper purchase and riding interface elements. That's shit my 3 guys here could do. Hey SE, my team will implement chocos for you!!!

LaneDS

Torquill said:
It can't be that hard. They have the models (assuming they dint need to make changes based on adding animation). They just need riding an being ridden (/snicker) animations and the proper purchase and riding interface elements. That's shit my 3 guys here could do. Hey SE, my team will implement chocos for you!!!

If you could have your guys send them a function to sort the inventory that'd be fantastic too!

Effect

I must be crazy. I swore to myself I wouldn't buy this for the PC. I knew I shouldn't have started reading up on the damn game. Ugh. Keeps pulling me back in. After reading around more after getting home I get the feeling my system might be able to run this on the lower settings with some tweaking after reading about various setups as well as one big google spreadsheet breaking down systems and scores. Even then it might not look to bad either (which is the main concern really). If not then a new processor might be needed which is long over due anyway and that should last a while. So we'll see.

Should get the game tomorrow I think as I got the order in at Amazon while it was still listed for pre-order with release day delivery for 99 cents. Order already being packaged it seems so I can cancel. Guess this pushes my other gaming purchases back a few months due to the MMO purchase being moved so far up. It's been hard sticking to the budget.

Coldsnap

I just spent like 5 minutes staring at that gif...

So anyways, I'd like to make a party of people tonight to do 5 star stuff at Beardrock (lvl 10). How about starting in an hour? (give some time for eastern peeps to get home from work)

Oh also if anyone wants to part with a buddy pass for some money PM me, I want to give one to my friend.

DrDogg said:
The game in its current state is not good. The only reason I'm playing is because I will have a TON of free time as soon as I'm done with my current work project (within the next day or two), and I want to be prepared for when it gets good.

SE has invested too much and saw too much success (MONEY!) with FFXI to give up on FFXIV before it gets good. I missed the first few years of FFXI, and now I want to be that guy in 5 years who has the Maat's cap, two relic weapons and a billion gil. :lol Although for the time being I'd be content just having lots of crafts at a high level so I can make 80% of the items people want/need.

This is exactly it. Playing with Stars of Destiny is fun ( even if the game lacks some key-features ), and I want to be the veteran who can say - some years down the line - that I was there during the beta / retail launch, and muse about how things were much, much worse and more unfriendly back then. I know that this line of thinking is twisted and masochistic in a sense, but right now my brain is sticking to it like a fly to a piece of fecal matter.

Moobabe

Is the world map the same size as it was in the beta? I was a little disappointed that by the end of it I'd been to every area, albeit briefly, with a friend.

DrDogg

If anyone needs any 1-10 rank crafts for the following class, please let me know. I'll be mass crafting Fri, Sat and Sun to take money from all the new people.

Weaver
Tanner
Carpenter
Alchemist

I have other crafting classes, but those will be my focus this weekend. I want all four at 20 by early next week.

Kandinsky

DrDogg said:
If anyone needs any 1-10 rank crafts for the following class, please let me know. I'll be mass crafting Fri, Sat and Sun to take money from all the new people.

Weaver
Tanner
Carpenter
Alchemist

I have other crafting classes, but those will be my focus this weekend. I want all four at 20 by early next week.
Take Armorer up mang, best money maker imo.

nataku

From the creator of FFXIAH: http://www.ffxivpro.com/

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/14632/ffxivprocom/

What is it?
We've had quite a few people ask about a FFXIVAH.com. FFXIV doesn't have an AH, at least not right now. Even if they do get an AH there is no guarantee that we can pull the information but will look into it. So, I went with FFXIVPro.com, a more generic name.

FFXIAH.com members do not need to register. The forum/mbox are shared between the two sites.

Adding FFXIV Characters
You can add and verify your FFXIV character. The verification uses SE's Lodestone website. I will give you a random key to enter in your character's biography.
http://www.ffxivpro.com/members/chars

BTW, You cannot post in the Forum or send PMs with you FFXIV chars yet for technical reasons. Sorry.

Bazaar
The first feature I worked on was the Bazaar. It does require you to add/verify a char. Any PM's concerning a bazaar entry will be sent to your username.
http://www.ffxivpro.com/bazaar

Comments/Screenshots
You should be able to submit comments and screenshots where applicable. Submit only FFXIV related screenshots on your player pages. Any other screenshots should be submitted under your User page.

Item Data
I don't have comprehensive item data yet so I linked to Zam for your convenience. I am in search for a tool that lets me export item data from the DAT files.

Bugs
There should be alot so please only report major bugs(application errors for example) directly to me via PM. The site is about as done as FFXIV.

I don't have anything for sale currently, but some of you who use the Bazaar often might want to look into it. It looks like you have to add stuff manually, though.

Quadratic

I made a character on Lindblum named Glico Curry. I'm in Ul'Dah. I would like an invite to SoD if possible. Does anyone know if there's a cap on people in a linkshell?

Quadratic said:
I made a character on Lindblum named Glico Curry. I'm in Ul'Dah. I would like an invite to SoD if possible. Does anyone know if there's a cap on people in a linkshell?

The cap is 120. We are currently not yet at 100. We should have enough room for the SE folks.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It's a little frustrating hearing that FFXIV is kinda... sucky right now. I guess nostalgia and fanboyism will carry me for a few months - and the fact that I wont have all that much time to play it per week.

But I really hope by the new year, it has some more substance (I really don't understand how they can have a crafting based economy, and no auction house... seriously).

Kinitari said:
It's a little frustrating hearing that FFXIV is kinda... sucky right now. I guess nostalgia and fanboyism will carry me for a few months - and the fact that I wont have all that much time to play it per week.

But I really hope by the new year, it has some more substance (I really don't understand how they can have a crafting based economy, and no auction house... seriously).

The crafting and gathering are really fun, completely unlike XI at least.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
pancakesandsex said:
The crafting and gathering are really fun, completely unlike XI at least.

That's really a good thing to hear, in every MMO I've played, I've either played the crafter class (artisan/weaponsmith in SWG, Blacksmith in RO) or focused a lot of energy in crafting, it's really enjoyable for me, and a robust system makes all the difference.

I don't have the game yet, I'll have it tomorrow - although I probably wont be able to play it until all my computer parts come in - so in a few days. Still, I hope I can get in with the GAF server, any MMO is exponentially more fun when you play with people you know.

Beth Cyra

Well I haven't read the thread, and I heard that FF XIV has a ton of problems. Still though I decided to plunk down the money for the LE.

I was told that Soloing is actually doable this time around and I did like alot of what I saw about XI but I just never got into it so I am hoping I will be able to with XIV.

Is there a noobie group for Gaf that is cool with helping with people that really only have experince with WoW?

I played my DK up to 80 and will be picking up Cata but from everything I have heard FF XI and FF XIV are completely different beasts compared to WoW and I would like to get some pointers so I can get over the learning curve going from WoW to FF XIV as smoothly as possible.

Effect

Ravidrath said:
1Up just posted a quick guide to help people get started with the regular edition...

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9057825

Thanks.

Mine shipped out tonight. I wonder if this new release day delivery setup is going to be cost effective for Amazon. Mine was shipped out UPS Next Day Air tonight. I would think they would have a cut off to give themselves time to ship things out. It seems you can order things the day before and they'll still try and get it to you. I'm not complaining but found it interesting.

Sins*

Neo Member
Hey was wondering how the games going, i played the Open Beta, loved it. but i've got exams soon and told myself not to buy it. i might buy it in January when i'm done with everything. Any Aus gaffers Playing it?

Sallokin

Sins* said:
Hey was wondering how the games going, i played the Open Beta, loved it. but i've got exams soon and told myself not to buy it. i might buy it in January when i'm done with everything. Any Aus gaffers Playing it?

I think you did yourself a favor. While I've been having a lot, and I do mean A LOT of fun playing. I too have exams and it's been awfully hard to try and stay away from the game lol. There are obviously a lot of issues with the game which have been discussed in this thread. Despite how anger inducing a lot of the omissions have been to me personally, I honestly can't stop thinking about the game, which is a great sign. When you do finally jump on board, I would imagine a lot of the current problems will have been ironed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom