• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

char2a.jpg

So my char so far
Name: Eight Corova
Server:Fabul Server

Level 16
Marauder LVL 12
Conj LVL 8
Weaver LVL 6
Blacksmith LVL 2
Armorer LVL 2

Kyoufu

Level 20 lancer with a level 1 weapon. I'm so bad.

On a brighter note, the level 20 ability "Feint" is absolutely amazing and should be gotten for every melee class.

Teknoman

Kyoufu said:
Level 20 lancer with a level 1 weapon. I'm so bad.

On a brighter note, the level 20 ability "Feint" is absolutely amazing and should be gotten for every melee class.

Why dont you have a harpoon?

Coldsnap said:
I still dont understand how to stack leves

What do you mean?

Sins*

Neo Member
Sallokin said:
I think you did yourself a favor. While I've been having a lot, and I do mean A LOT of fun playing. I too have exams and it's been awfully hard to try and stay away from the game lol. There are obviously a lot of issues with the game which have been discussed in this thread. Despite how anger inducing a lot of the omissions have been to me personally, I honestly can't stop thinking about the game, which is a great sign. When you do finally jump on board, I would imagine a lot of the current problems will have been ironed out.
Cool, well you are all playing on the same server right? i'd love to join up with all of you

Effect

What is the max class rank and overall character level?

What matters when it comes to those two in battle? The class rank overall or is it a combination of rank and level?

Teknoman

Effect said:
What is the max class rank and overall character level?

What matters when it comes to those two in battle? The class rank overall or is it a combination of rank and level?

Class rank = the moves that you can use and whether or not you can take full advantage of your equipment's stats.

Physical level = your base stats

I'd say its a combo.

LaneDS

pancakesandsex said:
The crafting and gathering are really fun, completely unlike XI at least.

The only part of that statement I'd agree with is that the crafting and gathering is unlike XI. The UI is too slow and cumbersome to allow for either crafting or gathering to be fun, and it's still a very unforgiving system.

Sallokin

Sins* said:
Cool, well you are all playing on the same server right? i'd love to join up with all of you

Most of GAF are on Lindblum. Though there are few other servers that have some gaffers as well. I think Rabanastre is one of them.

Jonnyram

Sallokin said:
Most of GAF are on Lindblum. Though there are few other servers that have some gaffers as well. I think Rabanastre is one of them.
Yep, quite a few of us on Rabanastre now :)
We should make a list sometime.

Sins*

Neo Member
Sallokin said:
Yeah cool, still need to know if there are AUS gaffers playing :p need to be able to play with people

hgplayer1

Im wanting to try crafting a Bronze Gladius but Im missing the Aldgoat Horn Sword Grip.

Cant find a recipe for it but it looks like the base, the aldgoat horn, is a reward for a leve at camp bloodshore.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the sword grip?

glaurung

Even though I said that I'd wait for the first major patches, I installed the game last night, downloaded all the patches (only took two hours) and started experimenting.

This game really needs some tutorials.

The following is not to be taken like trolling or flaming, I really like the game style and I intend to learn and get better and then some day join the GAF community, but for now just be tolerant of my newbieshness and ignorance. I never got around to play FFXI, so this is all new to me.

I first created a character on the EU Lindblum server. The character creation process is really nice and smooth, even though a bit slow at times. The first problem was encountering the class selection screen. So there are Disciples of War, Magic, Land and Hand. Since I adore crafting in MMOs - creating all those little tidbits of armor and weapons and what not, I picked Disciple of the Hand and then selected Leatherworker as the profession. The beginning outfit of the leatherworker looks a bit silly, kind of like a tank commander, but that is not a problem.

Then I had to finally pick a birthday and guardian deity. I just used my own birthday and chose the guardian deity that corresponded to my birthday as well. What do these selection affect? I could not understand this during the character creation.

I then had to pick a starting area. Confusing, but I picked the forest area. After watching an awesome and high quality cut scene, I was confronted with the first battle. The only skill on my action bar was Stone Throw so I mashed number one, doing just 1 damage per hit. Kind of weak, but the AI companions killed the enemies and another awesome cut scene followed. The graphics are just amazing, even though they are killing my video card.

After watching yet more cut scenes, I was finally able to wander out of the small wood village and find some tiny enemies to fight on my own. It was around this time I understood that I cannot damage them in any other way but with Stone Throw again. Needless to say I died and I could not really work out why.

Eventually I deleted the leatherworker and made an archer instead. With him I could at least kill some wharf rats in the outskirts of the big city.

But yes, the game does not really explain the mechanics of combat at all. The thin booklet that comes with the game in the DVD case is no better at that.

I really want to understand the mechanics and I also want to understand what the purpose of the crafting characters are when they cannot properly fight or gather the materials required.

If there is some nice newbie-friendly web page that does a better job than Squeenix, please point me towards that.

glaurung said:
Even though I said that I'd wait for the first major patches, I installed the game last night, downloaded all the patches (only took two hours) and started experimenting.

The following is not to be taken like trolling or flaming, I really like the game style and I intend to learn and get better and then some day join the GAF community, but for now just be tolerant of my newbieshness and ignorance. I never got around to play FFXI, so this is all new to me.

I first created a character on the EU Lindblum server. The character creation process is really nice and smooth, even though a bit slow at times. The first problem was encountering the class selection screen. So there are Disciples of War, Magic, Land and Hand. Since I adore crafting in MMOs - creating all those little tidbits of armor and weapons and what not, I picked Disciple of the Hand and then selected Leatherworker as the profession. The beginning outfit of the leatherworker looks a bit silly, kind of like a tank commander, but that is not a problem.

Then I had to finally pick a birthday and guardian deity. I just used my own birthday and chose the guardian deity that corresponded to my birthday as well. What do these selection affect? I could not understand this during the character creation.

I then had to pick a starting area. Confusing, but I picked the forest area. After watching an awesome and high quality cut scene, I was confronted with the first battle. The only skill on my action bar was Stone Throw so I mashed number one, doing just 1 damage per hit. Kind of weak, but the AI companions killed the enemies and another awesome cut scene followed. The graphics are just amazing, even though they are killing my video card.

After watching yet more cut scenes, I was finally able to wander out of the small wood village and find some tiny enemies to fight on my own. It was around this time I understood that I cannot damage them in any other way but with Stone Throw again. Needless to say I died and I could not really work out why.

Eventually I deleted the leatherworker and made an archer instead. With him I could at least kill some wharf rats in the outskirts of the big city.

But yes, the game does not really explain the mechanics of combat at all. The thin booklet that comes with the game in the DVD case is no better at that.

I really want to understand the mechanics and I also want to understand what the purpose of the crafting characters are when they cannot properly fight or gather the materials required.

If there is some nice newbie-friendly web page that does a better job than Squeenix, please point me towards that.

You can change job at any time by equipping a different weapon ya know. Disciples of Hand/Land aren't really meant to fight at all.

glaurung said:

There's some beginner info here:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/start01.html

Edit: Didn't mean to double post :/

glaurung

Thanks, the Lodestone page has some guides that make more sense.

But my question remains: there is no auto-attack mode as I understand? How do I know how to queue the battle commands or am I supposed to mash the 1 button until the thing dies.

Also: if the crafting class is not supposed to fight at all, what the hell is its purpose? Simply to receive crafting materials received from other characters and then build stuff?

glaurung said:

But my question remains: there is no auto-attack mode as I understand? How do I know how to queue the battle commands or am I supposed to mash the 1 button until the thing dies.

Also: if the crafting class is not supposed to fight at all, what the hell is its purpose? Simply to receive crafting materials received from other characters and then build stuff?

I think there's a button to queue commands, have a look at the config program.

Crafting jobs are there to craft. Like I said, you can switch jobs at any time by changing weapon. So you can gather materials as a disciple of land and then craft with them by switching to disciple of hand.

glaurung said:

Did you miss the part where people are telling you that you can switch classes and have multiple classes per character? In fact, you can technically max out every single class on one character if you want.

You started as a leatherworker, but you could've just gone on that character to a shop, bought a bow, equipped it, and you would then be an archer, simple as that.

LaneDS

glaurung said:

Right. There is no auto-attack, you just mash the abilities you have until you're out of stamina (which will constantly recharge), the game bugs out (target is already engaged), or the mob dies.

And yes, the crafters are there just to craft. You can do local leves from the adventurer's guild... those are essentially crafting quests where you'll go to a client, they'll give you materials, and you'll craft what they tell you to craft for some skill+exp+gil (and generally some materials to craft with).

You can, as mentioned, just purchase another starting weapon and use that, and you're instantly a different class. You'll have (slightly) more robust abilities than throwing stones to kill monsters with. The abilities you learn for other classes can be mixed and matched (to some degree).

glaurung

LaneDS said:
Right. There is no auto-attack, you just mash the abilities you have until you're out of stamina (which will constantly recharge), the game bugs out (target is already engaged), or the mob dies.

And yes, the crafters are there just to craft. You can do local leves from the adventurer's guild... those are essentially crafting quests where you'll go to a client, they'll give you materials, and you'll craft what they tell you to craft for some skill+exp+gil (and generally some materials to craft with).

You can, as mentioned, just purchase another starting weapon and use that, and you're instantly a different class. You'll have (slightly) more robust abilities than throwing stones to kill monsters with. The abilities you learn for other classes can be mixed and matched (to some degree).
Thanks, things are making more sense now.

But since the crafting startup characters do not have any money in the beginning, I will have no choice but to do the crafting levequests until I have saved up enough for a sword or bow? How do I recognize the NPCs that should give me those quests?

hgplayer1 said:
Im wanting to try crafting a Bronze Gladius but Im missing the Aldgoat Horn Sword Grip.

Cant find a recipe for it but it looks like the base, the aldgoat horn, is a reward for a leve at camp bloodshore.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the sword grip?

I'm also trying to get a Bronze Gladius.

The Rams around La Noscea drop the Ram Horn material for the Bone Sword Grip.

LaneDS

glaurung said:

But since the crafting startup characters do not have any money in the beginning, I will have no choice but to do the crafting levequests until I have saved up enough for a sword or bow? How do I recognize the NPCs that should give me those quests?

At the counter you get quests from there should be two NPCs. One offers regional levequests (battlecraft ones and gathering ones) and the other offers the local ones (crafting). I don't think the level 1 weapons cost all that much, so a few of those quests should pay for one pretty easily. You might be better served starting as whatever class you want to do damage as and then switch to a crafter (or multiple types of crafters) once you have some dough, if you're not too invested in your character already. Either way works though.

jiggle

do cure/sacrifice/second wind's cure potency still get halved when used by a dif job?

edit: and what happens when an armor become 1/xxxx?

Jonnyram

jiggle said:
do cure/sacrifice/second wind's cure potency still get halved when used by a dif job?

Wait, I didn't even realise you can use the skills when you change jobs :O This could be interesting.

jiggle

yeah
that's the best part of the job system
can build a pld or rdm or whatever out of doing this

although if they're nerfing cures, and who knows what else
that kinda defeats the purpose...

edit: craft abilities can be mixed too, and i think job traits also

Awntawn

So I got enough faction points to accept a faction leve. From the descriptions, it looks like this is where the NMs are. Unfortunately didn't get to try due to leve count being used up ;'(

Did manage to complete my chainmail set today though ;D

4jt05c.jpg

Zalasta

Jonnyram said:
Mining is awesome because the points don't disappear when someone else uses them.

Well, that's only partially true. If the node is exhausted, it can disappear when you still have attempts left. But yes, it is pretty awesome that it can support multiple people.

jiggle said:

The stats armor gives decrease as the durability goes down. Some people don't believe it matters too much so they don't repair until it is completely broken, I'm not sure how true that is.

Cmagus

Awntawn said:
So I got enough faction points to accept a faction leve. From the descriptions, it looks like this is where the NMs are. Unfortunately didn't get to try due to leve count being used up ;'(

4jt05c.jpg

Nice armour it looks sick

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Awntawn said:

http://i51.tinypic.com/4jt05c.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
I wonder if the faction leve drops got nerfed too. I was getting some pretty crazy stuff during the faction leves in open beta.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Last night I decided to do nothing but run around and look at random things. Seems like the world has a serious squirrel over population problem. :lol

JudgeN

Awntawn said:

4jt05c.jpg

How do you have a million gold already :lol

glaurung said:

Try doing the first quest that you start the game with for gil, BAM, you now have enough gil for a weapon.

JudgeN said:
How do you have a million gold already :lol

Well one way I'm guessing is by turning in 5 star leves for new leves which considerably increases the gil awarded. @ 17 he's doing rank 20 leves, so I'm not sure what the base gil is there.

Considering rank 10 base ranges from 2k-10k, I'd imagine rank 20 to be a bit more and if he's been doing them since rank 13, that's 4 levels of leves :p

Amneisac

I get it when people say "I want to say I was here from the beginning", and how you enjoy the "challenge" (I put it in quotes because it isn't really a skill-based challenge), but I just value my time more than that. Sure, I'm going to play games my whole life, but I'd like to have fun doing it.

I can't keep playing a game that keeps extinguishing the fire in my heart. An example:

Really well-made crafting and gathering system (seriously), but then no AH or reliable way to sell your goods or even a mail system to work with friends on exchanging materials, etc.

And as for exploring, I don't think the game is that big, and while I like the thought of having the zones be 'seamless', it really just boiled down to fitting a whole bunch of different level content into a zone that looks the same the whole way through. I'd rather have all the different zones with the load times that FFXI had if it meant I'd get a little more variety. There simply aren't that many places to explore right now in FFXIV.

Even FFXI was unplayable without constantly checking external sources such as wikis or zam or some other web site, (further aggravated by not being able to alt+tab in either game) but at least the information had been accumulated at that point. I have been unimpressed with the results of FFXIV's attempts to be more transparent that FFXI was. The lodestone and some of the in-game tutorials are welcome, but I don't think it's enough.

I loved FFXI in spite of its many flaws, but I'm not going to invest hundreds of hours of my time into a game that should have been able to learn from its mistakes and make the best MMO on the market. You guys who look fondly back on punching yourself in the crotch for hours playing EQ are such an incredibly small number of subscribers in today's world that there's no way an MMO can survive by trying to pander to your draconian fantasies. I think that while FFXIV will be successful simply for being a Final Fantasy game, there isn't enough here for me to keep coming back.

I have had fun playing this game, I think it's beautiful and I love the art style. I just can't delude myself into thinking I'm going to continue having fun logging in doing the same few things over and over again. I'll keep playing for the rest of my 30 days, but I think unless it really starts throwing some new tricks at me I'm not going to continue my subscription.

Sins*

Neo Member
Amneisac said:
I get it when people say "I want to say I was here from the beginning", and how you enjoy the "challenge" (I put it in quotes because it isn't really a skill-based challenge), but I just value my time more than that. Sure, I'm going to play games my whole life, but I'd like to have fun doing it.

I can't keep playing a game that keeps extinguishing the fire in my heart. An example:

Really well-made crafting and gathering system (seriously), but then no AH or reliable way to sell your goods or even a mail system to work with friends on exchanging materials, etc.

And as for exploring, I don't think the game is that big, and while I like the thought of having the zones be 'seamless', it really just boiled down to fitting a whole bunch of different level content into a zone that looks the same the whole way through. I'd rather have all the different zones with the load times that FFXI had if it meant I'd get a little more variety. There simply aren't that many places to explore right now in FFXIV.

Even FFXI was unplayable without constantly checking external sources such as wikis or zam or some other web site, (further aggravated by not being able to alt+tab in either game) but at least the information had been accumulated at that point. I have been unimpressed with the results of FFXIV's attempts to be more transparent that FFXI was. The lodestone and some of the in-game tutorials are welcome, but I don't think it's enough.

I loved FFXI in spite of its many flaws, but I'm not going to invest hundreds of hours of my time into a game that should have been able to learn from its mistakes and make the best MMO on the market. You guys who look fondly back on punching yourself in the crotch for hours playing EQ are such an incredibly small number of subscribers in today's world that there's no way an MMO can survive by trying to pander to your draconian fantasies. I think that while FFXIV will be successful simply for being a Final Fantasy game, there isn't enough here for me to keep coming back.

I have had fun playing this game, I think it's beautiful and I love the art style. I just can't delude myself into thinking I'm going to continue having fun logging in doing the same few things over and over again. I'll keep playing for the rest of my 30 days, but I think unless it really starts throwing some new tricks at me I'm not going to continue my subscription.

thats a real shame man. I agree with the lack of Auction house thing

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Comparing the world size to FFXI isn't really fair. FFXI was not that big when it first came out and even at the NA launch, there was already an expansion coming with the game.

Salaadin

Got Miner to 15 last night. They started offering me rank 20 leves but Im holding out until I can get a Bronze pickaxe and I get closer to 20.
A friend of mine has the mats for the pickaxe and his CRP is above the rank 8 synth level but we arent able to get that damn Bronze Pickaxe head crafted. After we do that, all thats needed is Animal Glue and hopefully he doesnt fail. I want that pickaxe badly.

Also got ARM to 12, BSM halfway thru 9 and should hit 10 tonight. Physical level 21.

I need another retainer badly. Having a DoL class as my main is killing my inventory space. Carrying weapons and sub weapons for 3 other crafting classes kills it too. Hurry SE, you can have my money!

Thats my biggest issue right now. I have a ton of ores/ingots/nuggets that I want to hang onto because I also plan on skilling BSM and GLD in addition to ARM.

Dracos

It took me a few days but the game is really starting to click for me. There are a ton of issues that shouldn't exist in any MMO in this day and age, but the potential is there. The interface is rough, the chat and search commands need serious work just to get things to FFXI levels. However, the game is fun enough to justify this paid beta period. I finally did some party stuff and it really is fun. Not having to static camp and pull is great. Mobs fleeing to get backup caught me off guard the 1st time it happened. The job system is really great, and will only get better with time. Even the leve system isn't as bad as I originally though. The timing on getting more available needs some work, but being able to exchange leves for bonus potential is a nice concept. The teleport system is cool and I can imagine that the travel system will get even better with chocos and airships in the future.

From a superficial perspective, the game looks and sounds fantastic. I added the Nvidia SLI fix last night for my dual 460's and now the game screams with all options maxxed out. It was good before but now it's virtually flawless. The interface even seems smoother with a fast and consistent framerate.

If anybody is on the Figaro server, look me up. Name is Leapin Lizzy, starting city Gridiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom