• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinko said:
Something I find worrying is if people are already hitting 1 million gil a week after launch and the maximum is only 9'999'999 isn't this going to be a problem ? :lol

How much can the retainer hold?

If you spend all your time solo, ypu will find this game very boring and crappy. If you get into one of our rolling GAF leve parties you'll find your self playing for hours on end and having almost the time of your life. It's an MMOG, you're supposed to play with other people!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Something I find worrying is if people are already hitting 1 million gil a week after launch and the maximum is only 9'999'999 isn't this going to be a problem ? :lol
If that's the cap, then how can some people sell stuff in their bazaar for 999,999,999 gil? Or did I just read it wrong...

Unknown Soldier said:
If you spend all your time solo, ypu will find this game very boring and crappy. If you get into one of our rolling GAF leve parties you'll find your self playing for hours on end and having almost the time of your life. It's an MMOG, you're supposed to play with other people!

One would hope they fix the party system yet. Targeting, my healer not being able to see my hp, etc.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
How much can the retainer hold?

Good call, retainers can hold gil. Id assume its the same 9,999,999 limit.

I guess we can find out in 8 weeks :lol

Unknown Soldier said:

Even crafting together can be fun. 2 people get together, trade items that each of you might need, and craft. Its fun to just hang and socialize. Spend time alone and you wont be playing long at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Have you experimented with fighting more than one mob at once during regular exp grinding? Sorta like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77gpRjc_d_M

(Although I don't know why he calls it an exploit - as far as I can tell, he hardly gained any SP during that fight)

I kinda want to try out using AoE attacks and beating multiple mobs to see what the exp/sp gain is like. Positioning and hate management might be too much of a hassle to make it worthwhile, though...but no harm in testing it out.

At the very least, it could be a useful farming method.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Even crafting together can be fun. 2 people get together, trade items that each of you might need, and craft. Its fun to just hang and socialize. Spend time alone and you wont be playing long at all.
If we ever get community housing, it would be nice to have an instanced area for crafting where you can purchase synth support.

It gets awfully crowded in the guilds and around the camp synth area and the repair NPC.

notworksafe

Unknown Soldier said:
Isn't the game designed around casual soloing?

Salaadin

Rentahamster said:
If we ever get community housing, it would be nice to have an instanced area for crafting where you can purchase synth support.

It gets awfully crowded in the guilds and around the camp synth area and the repair NPC.

Thats a good idea. Instanced crafting would be awesome.

notworksafe said:
Thats what they say but the most fun is had when youre together in groups doing leves with others. Go figure.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
If that's the cap, then how can some people sell stuff in their bazaar for 999,999,999 gil? Or did I just read it wrong...

Oh maybe I read it wrong maybe it is 999 million.

I guess we can find out in 8 weeks

It's going to be much sooner, level 30 leves are guna give double if not triple the money rewards of level 20 leves.

At end game money is guna mean nothing unless SE nerf us all later down the road.

Yea, would be nice if we could all set our retainers up in the house so we can support each other whilst crafting etc.

I would much prefer that to the current marketwards.

Rentahamster said:

GAF HOUSE! Make it so!

TheFatOne

God I hate UPS. It's almost three and my game still isn't here. I think I should get it around 5 or 6 which sucks. Whenever I actually want something on time they are late :(

TheFatOne said:
God I hate UPS. It's almost three and my game still isn't here. I think I should get it around 5 or 6 which sucks. Whenever I actually want something on time they are late :(

Servers are down anyway. Go and download the older updates so you have less to download when you have to update, you have about 500mb to get, not much but get it now.

Jinko

TheFatOne said:

Servers are down for another hour, so you aren't missing much :)

Servers are down anyway. Go and download the older updates so you have less to download when you have to update, you have about 500mb to get, not much but get it now.

This won't work, SE change the patches to an all in one new patch, at least this is what they did in beta.

notworksafe said:

Well Squenix had said that the story intentionally can be soloed. And you can solo the basic zone mobs. nobody promised it would be fun, though. Unless you play WoW, you should expect to group when playing an MMOG.

notworksafe

Unknown Soldier said:
Well Squenix had said that the story intentionally can be soloed. And you can solo the basic zone mobs. nobody promised it would be fun, though. Unless you play WoW, you should expect to group when playing an MMOG.
That's more than a little bullshit. But it demonstrates that Square really has no idea what they are doing (or is lying about their motives).

The game is for casuals and soloers...but don't expect to have fun!

The crafting system is meant to help gear up players and keep the players working with each other...but don't expect to get anything without spending a ton of time checking retainers.

The teleporting system is a great way to get around...but don't expect to use it more than a few times. And don't expect chocobos for getting around when your Anima is gone!

Linkshells are a great way for players to interact with each other and help each other out...but don't expect to share gear through a mail system! Better get to hoofing it since all your Anima is gone.

Yep, we're making Wards for selling things...but don't expect to be able to do that with just one retainer! That'll be $1 a month per, please!

You can level any class on any character...but not too much at once. That'd be bad for casuals that are busy not having fun while playing solo.

If nothing else, SQE is consistently inconsistant. :lol

Awntawn

Jinko said:
Damn I thought I did well to get 500k :lol

As for the Faction NM leve, I wonder what happens if you fail this ?

Spend points > start leve > DC > WTF !
It goes into your regional guildleve list, so I imagine failure is the same in that as long as you don't exchange it, the X mark goes away at the reset and you can just try it again.

And I made it all by putting the server in bondage outfits D;

Jinko

Yet 90% of that will be fixed in time, they are already make the marketwards better, housing is on its way which will no doubt bring a mail system.

It's been clear for a while now that SE rushed this to market to recoup some cash, alot of things didn't make it in, housing, AH, Chocobo's and airships to name a few.

notworksafe

Jinko said:
Yet 90% of that will be fixed in time, they are already make the marketwards better, housing is on its way which will no doubt bring a mail system.

It's been clear for a while now that SE rushed this to market to recoup some cash, alot of things didn't make it in, housing, AH, Chocobo's and airships to name a few.
Yeah I expect all of those things to be put in/fixed and more...but it's silly to match up what SQE says to the reality.

Salaadin

Its not that soloing isnt fun. Its just that the game as a whole is more fun when you group together.
Ive spent plenty of time alone in game and I still have a good time.

Pietepiet

The lovely Ronok/Misaki:

Ronok.png
Ronok2.png

Full set, now in 90x90 avatar versions so they don't get scaled ugly. If you're using it as an avatar, please use these/replace your current version with this one to preserve crisp pixels :) :
QisTopTier_ava.png
Sallokin_ava.png
Kiryogi_ava.png
Ronok_ava.png

Ronok

I don't find any mmo very fun while playing solo, so it's no surprise that I spend most of my time doing leves with the LS. I'm going to have to put in some extra work soon though, or I'll be left behind. I don't want to miss out on the future fun with everyone. :'( I'll try and get to rank 16 tonight I think. :D

EDIT:

Pietepiet said:
The lovely Ronok/Misaki:

Ronok.png
Ronok2.png

Full set, now in 90x90 avatar versions so they don't get scaled ugly. If you're using it as an avatar, please use these/replace your current version with this one to preserve crisp pixels :) :
QisTopTier_ava.png
Sallokin_ava.png
Kiryogi_ava.png
Ronok_ava.png

:eek:!!! So good! I love it. Thank you! :D

Oooooh I think I'm next :3

edit: I really like doing this.

/poke
*wait 1 second*
*hit f*

Looks like I'm pointing w/ my Gaxe, I'll post a picture later :lol

comedian

Still unable to play this game despite buying it tuesday.... getting the error Unable to detect Direct X devise, which according to my little google search is a common problem... this is getting ridiculous.

Kyoufu

Awntawn said:
It goes into your regional guildleve list, so I imagine failure is the same in that as long as you don't exchange it, the X mark goes away at the reset and you can just try it again.

And I made it all by putting the server in bondage outfits D;

Wait, you can re-try a leve once you fail it? Like if I d/c during a leve, can I try it again in the same day?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I just bought the game! (Got it cheap, woo!) But my computer parts wont be ready till monday, so I am out of luck till after the weekend! Boo. Anyhoo, I figure patching will be done by then, currently halfway through installation.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kyoufu said:
:lol That is dumb, oh well. :/
Yeah, but then you could retry it again and again for crazy good SP gain.

I think it should be: You can retry immediately, but you won't gain any SP, EXP, or mob drops from the battles.

Cathcart

Rentahamster said:
Yeah, but then you could retry it again and again for crazy good SP gain.

I think it should be: You can retry immediately, but you won't gain any SP, EXP, or mob drops from the battles.

Or just have it queue up all of the sp gains and assign them to you when it is completeed/the timer runs out/you give up.

Salaadin

A version update of FINAL FANTASY XIV was performed at the following time.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 30, 2010 at 1:00PM (PDT)

[Affected Service]
-FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]

* Updates pertaining to synthesis are as follows:
Fix:
-Fixed an issue where synthesis was prone to failure due to the effects of basic synthesis actions (such as "Standard," "Rapid," and "Bold") not working correctly.
Fix:
-As a result of an adjustment made to the basic synthesis actions, using "Rapid" commands will incur a higher loss of durability and using "Standard" commands will incur a lower loss of durability.

Fix:
* Fixed an issue preventing players from exchanging /tells and other chat commands.

Fix:
* Fixed an issue causing the "Hasty Hand" ability to succeed regardless of synthesis difficulty under certain conditions.
NOTE: This issue was addressed during the version update performed on Sep. 29, 2010 at 3:00AM (PDT). We apologize for the late announcement.

Zomba13

Salaadin said:
A version update of FINAL FANTASY XIV was performed at the following time.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 30, 2010 at 1:00PM (PDT)

[Affected Service]
-FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]

* Updates pertaining to synthesis are as follows:
Fix:
-Fixed an issue where synthesis was prone to failure due to the effects of basic synthesis actions (such as "Standard," "Rapid," and "Bold") not working correctly.
Fix:
-As a result of an adjustment made to the basic synthesis actions, using "Rapid" commands will incur a higher loss of durability and using "Standard" commands will incur a lower loss of durability.

Fix:
* Fixed an issue preventing players from exchanging /tells and other chat commands.

Fix:
* Fixed an issue causing the "Hasty Hand" ability to succeed regardless of synthesis difficulty under certain conditions.
NOTE: This issue was addressed during the version update performed on Sep. 29, 2010 at 3:00AM (PDT). We apologize for the late announcement.
So... do we now use Standard if we want to get the synth done?

Salaadin

Who knows. They said it broke only recently. We wont know if they adjusted it to be back the way it used to be or made it worse until we log on and try it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Holy crap i'm reading comments that the patching takes like 3 years - does anyone have any mirrors I can use? I don't want to wait three years to play this game (regardless of how much better it should be by then).

Zomba13 said:
So... do we now use Standard if we want to get the synth done?

No....not so fast.

Before my best Standard would be like 20 % progress, -10 durability, +## quality.

My best Rapid would be: 30% progress, -0 durability, +## quality (usually 0 or low).

Now Standard will probably be 1-5 on a correct one, and rapid will probably be 1-10.

Best way to find out is to grab a rank 1 leve in 3 hours and see what happens.

Jinko

Kinitari said:
Holy crap i'm reading comments that the patching takes like 3 years - does anyone have any mirrors I can use? I don't want to wait three years to play this game (regardless of how much better it should be by then).

I think gromph said he would keep uploading patches for the retail version.

Check the beta thread in the online section.

hgplayer1

About crafting.....you cant really try a synth that has no recipe correct?

In other words you couldnt throw a bunch of items together and start the synth without confirming the recipe first, correct?

I had this wild idea to try crafting a aldgoat horn sword grip by getting the base item and then studying other grips to see if I could come up with a recipe for it.

Then I remember that there are freaks that play around the clock that have probably already tried that and I want to not even try.

demosthenes said:
One would hope they fix the party system yet. Targeting, my healer not being able to see my hp, etc.

there's definitely a lot of work that needs to be done, but fundamentally the gameplay is solid and it's only going to improve. I hope. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom