• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

crafting fucking SUCKS now
what a fucking joke

rank 11 weaver making a rank 5 boots, failed twice, succeeded twice
rank 10 tanner making rank 11 boots, failed 5 times in a row

this sucks

edit: rank 8 alchemist making rank 1 rubber, failed 4 out of 6 times
isn't that kinda... broken?
local leves, hell, just crafting in general is unplayable with rates like that

demonkaze

How do I get a wireless 360 pad to work, my wired one's analog stick Is busted and walks on it's own.

Also, is there anywhere I can buy the official ffxiv pad yet?

jiggle

just wanna make sure on couple of things

when an armor "favors" a job, it just break slower right?
or are there other detrimental effects when worn by non favorable jobs?

also, for "rank", it scales down the stats to your current rank right?
so higher rank armors are not necessarily better than the ones you currently have?

can't believe there's no way to actually see the actual stat increase from armors :/

Awntawn

They've definitely increased the success rate on Standard crafting to even things out. Overall success rate on the synths themselves is about the same if not better; it's just a lot more time consuming now than it was before.

Zalasta

zlatko said:
Further update on crafting patch. It seems the lower level the craft, the less of a problem standarding your way through is. However, the second you are at something level 10+ your craft to synth is where failure sky rockets.

Um...what's your weaver's rank? Because undyed cotton cloth is a rank 20 synthesis and if you're no where close to it, then you are suppose to fail. I wouldn't even try it very often at 16 with guild support.

As much as I didn't care to admit before, but rapid was broken. When you make things in haste, your quality and durability are suppose to take a hit (prior to this patch, you can gain as much as high teens in quality on rapid, which was not the case in beta). Regardless, I firmly believed that they fixed standard, because that should be how one approach crafting. Bold also got a boost too because now you are getting actual quality improvements on successful attempts. As for rapid, I'm not sure what purpose it serves now, since even on success you can still take a big hit on durability, I guess it's only good for mass production of low level synthesis, especially if you're not looking to HQ.

For me, crafting was improved for the better, although I have to say the timing sucked, at least for us who has been playing since the head start. It's like I have to relearn the whole process again.

Ronok

Is anyone else getting disconnected from the server a lot today? It's hardly happened to me before and now suddenly I can't stay logged in for more then 15 mins.

Canti

I'm definitely finding crafting more time consuming, not being able to rely on rapid spamming. With crafts closer or above your level standard seems the only way to go now, the losses can be crazy on rapid (eg. fail 2 rapids in a row and you could be down 40-50%). It seems the safe way to rank-up is concentrating on an even lower rank of craft than before, hope they tweak it a little.

datamage

Heh, I was accustomed to using Standard prior to this update, so I didn't notice much change. :lol

Spent like an hour (or possibly more) last night, sorting all the crap in my retainer's inventory, as well as mine. I'm almost getting suckered into buying another retainer. :(

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but, for those that play in full-screen and would like to be able to access a browser, you can add FFXIV to Steam, and use Steam's browser while you're in-game.

Azrael

jiggle said:
just wanna make sure on couple of things

when an armor "favors" a job, it just break slower right?
or are there other detrimental effects when worn by non favorable jobs?

You don't get the full stat benefit from wearing an item that does not favor your class. If you have nothing equipped to a slot and equip an item that does not favor your class, you will notice that the stat increase will be less than the listed stats for the item even if you're the optimal rank for the item.

Azrael

I went 6/7 on local leves after the patch, a few of which were rank 10 which I was able to complete at rank 9-10. The one I failed I should have succeeded, but I was using Rapid too much because it was the first one I tried after the patch. The only time I would even touch Rapid now is if I'm failing a synth and getting lucky is my only shot at success. Some things you should take in mind:

- Asuran Armguards have no effect starting at rank 11. You will notice a huge drop in your crafting stats when you hit rank 11. So take off your Asuran Armguards and start using something else.

- I use Tender Touch (Carpentry rank 10) and Maker's Muse (Smithing rank 10). Maker's Muse is incredibly powerful now, very high success rate on Standard for 3-4 turns.

- Of course crafting 10+ is going to be tough when we're still using rank 1 or 7 tools and at best hempen crafter gear. Players at these levels are supposed to be using rank 12 tools and cotton crafter gear, but the market hasn't matured to the point yet that they are readily available.

Munba

From Loadstone new FAQ:

Synthesis
Q. I haven't been having much success crafting items. What am I doing wrong?
A. The colored, glowing graphics provides players with a large hint toward a successful synthesis. When the glow is white, the synthesis is at its most stable, and the chances of success are high. When the glow takes on a color, however, the chances of success are low. Players seeking simple completion of their synthesis rather than high-quality results should attempt to use the Wait command when the indicator is colored to restore the stability of the synthesis before finishing it.

Q. Is there a trick to synthesizing high-quality items?
A. Though synthesis actions carried out while the colored circle graphic is red suffer a reduced rate of success, they often serve to increase the quality of the synthesis. In addition, the successful execution of consecutive actions also serves to increase quality. Ultimately, the higher the quality of the synthesis process, the more likely it is to yield a high-quality result.

Q. What do the values attached to synthesis materials, such as +1, signify?
A. These values represent bonuses applied to the durability and quality of a synthesis when it is first begun. Unlike increases to quality made during the crafting process, this initial bonus has no bearing on the degree of difficulty of the synthesis. Such bonus materials therefore increase a player's chances at synthesizing high-quality items, without increasing the difficulty of the synthesis.

Q. I am able to choose between using my main hand or off hand tool when beginning a synthesis. What is the difference?
A. Main hand and off hand tools have varying characteristics which manifest themselves in different ways when a high-quality result is achieved while synthesizing. There are many possible outcomes. For instance, a successful synthesis with a main hand tool may result in a +1 or +2 item, while the result obtained with an off hand tool may be a higher yield of regular quality items.

Q. I don't have enough of the crystals I need for synthesis. Is there a way to get more of the certain crystal type I need?
A. Other than looting fresh corpses, crystals can also be obtained through gathering. Further, for Disciples of the Land, allotting elemental bonus points to a certain element will result in a greater likelihood of procuring crystals of that type. Location is another factor to consider, as some places will yield more of certain crystal types than others.

Effect

Finally got my settings setup last night and the game is running fairly well. Have to keep the game in windowed mode however at 1280x768 (720 works possibly better but screen seemed crowded.). I have texture on high with the other texture setting on highest. Shadows on low and/or standard. Still messing with that. I have physics and dust on. Resolution set at normal. No problem running around Gridania. Did get some lag in one of the cut scenes so far but nothing during normal play. Full screen is where I had problems and no matter of tweaking things would improve the frame rate to my liking. Even moving through the menu was slow at times. Finally settling on window mode however did and seems to have fixed the issues. Not sure if it helped but I forced Vsync to be always on.

Strange. Don't games normally run better in full screen mode compared to windowed? Want to run back to Camp Bentbranch tonight to see how the new settings handle. Did that section before I made the changes. NPCs and characters do take longer to actually appear on screen then I'd like though after coming out of a cut scene or when first logging in. After that though things seem fine.

Using the Xbox 360 wired controller. Getting the PS3 to work was a pain and didn't like that I had to use an unsigned driver. Though I'm finding at times using the keyboard and mouse works better. The interface is certainly more friendly to keyboard and mouse then FFXI's interface ever was. So I'm glad about that.

Ended up on the Istory server since it seemed to be less full. Is that said "I Story" or "Is tory" or some other way? Anyone know? Though still can wipe the character and restart elsewhere. People don't seem that talkative. Thought that could be due to everyone just getting used to the game or tweaking things so it can run.

zlatko

Banned
Munba said:
From Loadstone new FAQ:

Glad they put this out to finally shed some light on crafting. :D

As for the whole cotton cloth I must have got really lucky the other day when I did rapid, so I guess I see why they fixed the crafting if it was allowing me to make items way over my level.

I checked the net and it said they were level 11 to craft, but the people in the guild playing told me to not try until level 18. It's really stupid that to make the cloth I need 18, but I was able to make a cloth bandana and gloves no problem at level 11 weaver. This is one of my biggest gripes about crafting is that something like cloth, or dodoskin leather for example, need a much higher level to create than the damn items you can make with them. That's completely backwards to how it should be. :/

I felt like I got a lot done today though in the game which is probably the first day since I started where I felt I had made good use of my time other than just crafting away like a slave. Hopefully the game can keep this momentum up more, because that's when it's most enjoyable.

Quick question about people grouping up for leves. I myself don't see the reason. I tried a 5 star, level 10 leve today with 5 people. The exp was complete crap as each monster MAYBE gave out 40 exp to my class at best. However, when I solo level 10 leves with a 4 star difficulty I easily net 300+ exp per mob, with the occasional crap exp mob.

So my question is, why group up if it's not beneficial to people exp wise? I join others to help them if they /shout for it since it's free money/exp for me, but I never share my own because the exp I get solo is far greater than if I had grouped up.

Salaadin

Munba said:
From Loadstone new FAQ:
Awesome, thanks a lot.

I had no issues crafting last night. My first attempt went weird but that was when I was still trying to figure out the changes. You do have to be more careful but Im doing pretty good. I also got a new Hammer for ARM though so I bet that helped some. I was able to do rank 10 leves yesterday with success whereas the day before Id fail the majority of the time even spamming rapid.

I never touch Bold or Rapid anymore unless its a lower level synth. Ill get ballsy and do Rapid if Blinding Speed is up but I mostly do what the above FAQ says now: wait on red or yellow, and then Ill use standard on white.

Zalasta

A tip for crafters: Use the lodestone's synthesis list as reference in terms of the required rank. They are listed in degrees of difficulty. Therefore, items at the top in the level 1-10 list is closer to 1 and those towards the bottom are around 10. 90% of the rank information listed in databases like yg and eorzeapedia are wrong. Using the "recommended rank" for crafting leves is wrong as well. Just because a rank 1 leve have you craft table salt does not mean it's a rank 1 item.

Coldsnap

zlatko said:
So my question is, why group up if it's not beneficial to people exp wise? I join others to help them if they /shout for it since it's free money/exp for me, but I never share my own because the exp I get solo is far greater than if I had grouped up.

Yeah, I have experienced this as well. I'm going to test if maybe duo'ing five star leves is better exp tonight.

Shino Mouri is on Lindblum now. I changed my appearance and started in Gridania. I have a lot to do this weekend, but I'll be begging for a linkpearl soon.

Raoh

glaurung said:
Has anyone tried the game with the wired 360 controller? Does it work OK?

yep works fine..

i have a question though. when playing a pc game using the 360 wired controller, can i connect the xbox 360 headset to the controller and use it for chat? will games and xfire and Ventrilo etc work with that headset on a pc game?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
*sigh* I realized I started in a poor place for what I wanted to be (leatherworker) so I figured rather than stumble and try to find my way over to the right city, I would just restart my character in the right city.

Now Lindblum isn't on the list of servers! Apparently this happens occasionally and I just hafta wait a bit.

Cmagus

man they really need to fix the targeting system its gimping gameplay on higher levels especially if your soloing.Cant tell you how many time I get attacked by mobs and die cause im trying to run away a little bit to select another enemy or I end up picking myself or the guy across the field.There is no reason why it cant just switch to another enemy thats attacking you.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Drame said:
Got my copy today and man the patching is slow. Is there a better way to do this?

You can find mirrors, a few pages back there is a link to one, and I think just a general torrent search would probably find something viable.

Drame

Kinitari said:
You can find mirrors, a few pages back there is a link to one, and I think just a general torrent search would probably find something viable.
All righty, cheers!

I've been sitting at 0.0Kb/s for a while now.

The uploading seems to fine for some odd reason.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Drame said:
All righty, cheers!

I've been sitting at 0.0Kb/s for a while now.

The uploading seems to fine for some odd reason.

If you can't find any mirrors, I'll see if I can dredge one up. I have nothing else to do *grumble*

Actually it's been enough time, lemme see if Lindblum is available.

Nope =/.

Raoh

as for downloading the patch separately, i downloaded mine from torrents like demonoid.com

it downloaded in minutes and was hassle free once i found my patch folder..

torrents has always been my go to source for stuff like that...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
You know I still haven't figured it out, how do I navigate the map screen? The map is kind of useless to me if I cant move around and see where I am/where I am going.

datamage

Kinitari said:
You know I still haven't figured it out, how do I navigate the map screen? The map is kind of useless to me if I cant move around and see where I am/where I am going.

Use the following keys: I, J, K, L.

Coldsnap

demonkaze said:
Still kinda curious as to how to get a wireless 360 pad working? Do I need Bluetooth or something?

I have microsofts usb dongle that they sell for the pc, its only function is to connect a wireless 360 pad.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Still cant make a char on lind - s'okay, I'll try again later - the game is essentially unplayable to me anyway, need to wait till monday :(.

DrDogg

I haven't been able to play for a couple of days now, due to work. I'm having withdrawl. :lol

On the bright side, I'll be able to play 24/7 once this project is over and done with.

Zalasta

I think the hardest part about going through a period of not playing is the feeling that you are wasting easy XP/SP/gil from all of the leves you've missed.

Decay24

Neo Member
I've been using Motioninjoy drivers for a PS3 controller since beta and have been getting tons of BSOD errors because of it so I decided to buy the controller Sal is using. It won't get here til Tuesday so I gotta go keyboard.

This is so painful, Im not used to using keyboard for all controls at all. I'm so slow at everything :lol

nataku

Decay24 said:
I've been using Motioninjoy drivers for a PS3 controller since beta and have been getting tons of BSOD errors because of it so I decided to buy the controller Sal is using. It won't get here til Tuesday so I gotta go keyboard.

This is so painful, Im not used to using keyboard for all controls at all. I'm so slow at everything :lol
I find the keyboard and mouse with the hardware mouse enabled much quicker for navigating the menus and long lists, personally. Controlling my character feels better with the controller though, especially since I can run and move the camera to look in a different direction easily.

Kyoufu

The Skill Point gain bug is so fucked up with not even a word from S-E about it. I'm worried if they'll even bother fixing it.

Coldsnap

nataku said:
I find the keyboard and mouse with the hardware mouse enabled much quicker for navigating the menus and long lists, personally. Controlling my character feels better with the controller though, especially since I can run and move the camera to look in a different direction easily.

Yea, batter seems much quicker with the keyboard though. I think I'm going to start weening myself off the controller, even though I was a hardcore controller user in FFXI.

Kyoufu said:
The Skill Point gain bug is so fucked up with not even a word from S-E about it. I'm worried if they'll even bother fixing it.

They sure were quick to fix the exploit, but the SP bug remains unaddressed. Typical.

Salaadin

Kyoufu said:

Is it a bug or is this how they intend it? Why is it being called a bug?

Ravidrath

Good to see some official clarification on crafting stuff from them, but it's still irksome it's not stated IN THE GAME.

I still feel like they aren't telling us the whole truth about crafting tools, though. It's really hard to make yarn w/ a needle, and very easy to make it with a spinning wheel.

Basically, there seems to be some kind of suitability rating for different synths/tools.

datamage

Ravidrath said:
Good to see some official clarification on crafting stuff from them, but it's still irksome it's not stated IN THE GAME.

I still feel like they aren't telling us the whole truth about crafting tools, though. It's really hard to make yarn w/ a needle, and very easy to make it with a spinning wheel.

Basically, there seems to be some kind of suitability rating for different synths/tools.

Right. I typically look at what I'm trying to make, and determine which tool makes more sense for that kind of item. (Not to say SE is following any logic..)

What's the SP bug?

Ravidrath

FrostuTheNinja said:
Should I jump on the bandwagon or is this a "wait and see" situation?

Jump on and wait?

I'm having a good amount of fun at the moment, but I'm still waiting for a ton of major improvements. :p

datamage said:
Right. I typically look at what I'm trying to make, and determine which tool makes more sense for that kind of item. (Not to say SE is following any logic..)

What's the SP bug?

Well, I think there is likely some logic to it. That or my guesses are just in sync w/ Square's illogic.

For example, you want to use a Spinning Wheel to make thread and cloth, and the needle to sew clothes.

Last night I found I was having much more success making Copper Fish Hooks using the file instead of the hammer.

Ravidrath

TurtleSnatcher said:
lmfao

No one I know used the 'wait' command during synthesizing..

Guess we will now :lol

Yeah, I think Gold and Red are there for higher risk/reward when you're above the cap to help you influence HQs.

Maybe they've adjusted it, but I swear when I've tried Wait in the past it's just cost me 10 Durability for no benefit.

Also, anyone seen their synths start leaking energy and know how to deal with it/what that means? In the beta, Bold synthesis seemed to fix leaking, but I haven't been able to reproduce that yet.

Salaadin

Ravidrath said:
Yeah, I think Gold and Red are there for higher risk/reward when you're above the cap to help you influence HQs.

Maybe they've adjusted it, but I swear when I've tried Wait in the past it's just cost me 10 Durability for no benefit.

Also, anyone seen their synths start leaking energy and know how to deal with it/what that means? In the beta, Bold synthesis seemed to fix leaking, but I haven't been able to reproduce that yet.

Ive never seen wait drop 10 DUR. 2 at the most but never 10.

Prior to the update, wHen I was doing a synth that Rapid spam wasnt working good for, Decay suggested that I Wait on red and yellow and use standard on White. I tried that and it seemed to work just as well as Rapid spamming. Now its the ideal way to go.

jsrv

Finally got my game from Amazon only to find out half the servers are closed due to overpopulation. I guess I'll try again later or tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom