• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Woah whats going on, for my small patches my download speed is at like... 650kb/sec. When I tried that big one through the patcher it was going at 20kb/sec. Glad I found a mirror.

Londa

Banned
Salaadin said:
A version update of FINAL FANTASY XIV was performed at the following time.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 30, 2010 at 1:00PM (PDT)

[Affected Service]
-FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]

* Updates pertaining to synthesis are as follows:
Fix:
-Fixed an issue where synthesis was prone to failure due to the effects of basic synthesis actions (such as "Standard," "Rapid," and "Bold") not working correctly.
Fix:
-As a result of an adjustment made to the basic synthesis actions, using "Rapid" commands will incur a higher loss of durability and using "Standard" commands will incur a lower loss of durability.

Fix:
* Fixed an issue preventing players from exchanging /tells and other chat commands.

Fix:
* Fixed an issue causing the "Hasty Hand" ability to succeed regardless of synthesis difficulty under certain conditions.
NOTE: This issue was addressed during the version update performed on Sep. 29, 2010 at 3:00AM (PDT). We apologize for the late announcement.

yay!!! this will make crafting much more enjoyable. i hated how chatting was almost impossible while crafting.

gsarjeant

I'm not sure that's referring to crafting chat. I think something in yesterday's update was causing problems with /tell in general.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Woo! My computer can actually (barely) run FFXIV, pre-new computer parts!

I need to step out for a minute, when I get back, someone better attempt to add me as a friend :x.

Kin Itari, Lindblum.

Balya

Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but the registration code that previously showed up as "expired" for CE owners is working now. Just tried it on a hunch and it went through.

careksims

It was one if those bad seagate HDDs I didn't know about. Just turned the pc on this morning and the HDD wasn't there. Then I read I had one of those bad Ones :( it was doing so well for a year.

Grampasso

Uhm... for some reason the login keeps telling me my password is wrong... though I can access to my account on S-E site with the same password. ANy known issue about this? ?_?

LaneDS

Grampasso said:
Uhm... for some reason the login keeps telling me my password is wrong... though I can access to my account on S-E site with the same password. ANy known issue about this? ?_?

Had this issue with linking my MEMBERS account to my S-E account a few days ago to get the XIII gauntlets. Sadly I couldn't get any resolution and just gave up on the gauntlets. I hope you have better luck.

Grampasso

LaneDS said:
Had this issue with linking my MEMBERS account to my S-E account a few days ago to get the XIII gauntlets. Sadly I couldn't get any resolution and just gave up on the gauntlets. I hope you have better luck.
Oh, so the members account is different from S-E account? That explains why I couldn't enter with my members account then o_O

LaneDS

Grampasso said:
Oh, so the members account is different from S-E account? That explains why I couldn't enter with my members account then o_O

Yeah, it's their old system and you have the option to link a MEMBERS (yay caps) account to your S-E account. It's also really bloated and stupid, like a lot of the XIV design decisions. Grumble.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Having some trouble with my ps3 controller which has worked fine before. When I load the game I get the square/enix logo, but then a black screen.

Redid the drivers, ran the EXE that detects the usb ports, rebooted, etc. Game doesn't load. Unplug the controller and it loads fine. If I go into the config tool, then controller settings I can use it fine just there, just not when the actual game starts. Anyone have any ideas??

Sallokin

Pietepiet said:
The lovely Ronok/Misaki:

Ronok.png
Ronok2.png

Full set, now in 90x90 avatar versions so they don't get scaled ugly. If you're using it as an avatar, please use these/replace your current version with this one to preserve crisp pixels :) :
QisTopTier_ava.png
Sallokin_ava.png
Kiryogi_ava.png
Ronok_ava.png

These are sooooooo awesome man. Great work. Changed mine out. Pixel crispness ftw.

Effect

Wow. Didn't think my system could do it but the game is running surprisingly well. Just changed the resolution to 1280x1024 and made it full screen. It seems the game might have detected settings for my hardware, not sure. Some things were off. Shadows are at standard and some settings are set on high. Maybe it's because I'm still in the starting instance but I am around other players so maybe this will hold up. Just now have to get my PS3 controller to work.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Man, my computer can barely play this thing as it is :p. Monday is when I get all my parts, so it'll be interesting seeing the change. For all rights, my computer shouldn't even be able to run this game, so I guess I lucked out.

Anyhoo, Ima start spamming people with sacks on Lindblum, so get ready.

adam.chance

Neo Member
If there is anyone online that could invite me to the linkshell I would appreciate it.

Name: Mephesta Nymerian
location: I will be at the archer's guild in Gridania crafting outside for a little while.

Ravidrath

Anyone who bought the regular edition had trouble getting onto servers?

A friend apparently tried to get on Mysidia today and couldn't...

zlatko

Banned
I swear if they made crafting harder then I'm done with crafting entirely and I'll force level myself naked to rank 50 pugilist. It's already a pain in the ass to be leveling them all pretty much at once, but to make it a harder process would make me rage hard. :/

Also I saw a few posts on people asking about crafting leveling, and maybe they aren't aware of this...so here's a tip for getting extra exp.

* When you do a crafting leve you will be given materials for 5 crafts, and only need to make 3 items. This varies of course, but you are always given extra than what you need. When you finish up all the items the leve wants, you can use up the extra items it gave you to craft, therefore getting extra exp. So with a 5 material quest, giving you 300+ exp, you can get 1500+ total instead of 900ish.

Hope that helps anyone who may have not known about this already.

Edit: I had no patch to download? I just got a crafting leve for something I'm 4 levels over though and failed my first attempt doing all rapid like I usually do. A success gave me 20% progress but 10 durability gone, and fails were about 2-5% progress with 17 durability gone.

Did this crafting nerf already take place without having to download or anything ?

Edit#2: Well it must have taken place without me having to download anything, because I failed 2 of my 4 attempts on a leve I did last time I got them, at a lower level, doing all rapids, no problem. On my last 2 attempts I just did standard the whole time and it worked out like rapid used to, so it def. seems rapid and standard just swapped places for creating items during leves.

Ravidrath

zlatko said:
I swear if they made crafting harder then I'm done with crafting entirely and I'll force level myself naked to rank 50 pugilist. It's already a pain in the ass to be leveling them all pretty much at once, but to make it a harder process would make me rage hard. :.

Honestly, it seems easier to me. Now you spam Standard instead of Rapid, and the success rates seem higher to me.

Rapid and Bold were always intended to be special or above-the-cap abilities, I think.

Allard

Honestly, it seems easier to me. Now you spam Standard instead of Rapid, and the success rates seem higher to me.

Rapid and Bold were always intended to be special or above-the-cap abilities, I think.

Yeah I actually like the changes. Standard seems to actually work most the time for me with exception to tough recipes and when you succeed you stand a good chance of having minimal (6-3 durability hit) to even 0 durability and more quality return then you had on rapid. Bold also seems to be giving me more consistant quality increase on success. Rapid is now the "Oh crap" or "Must... Mass... Produce" command now. You gamble if you want to craft fast, the durability hit upon failing is much, much higher now for rapid. All around the commands feel more well rounded. Spamming Rapid, getting next to no durability hit and getting the highest process just didn't seem right to me because it made standard damn near useless.

Zomba13

Meh I've found myself failing a lot more, even using just Standard now. Failed 50% of the synths on a rank 1 leve at rank 9 leather and can't successfully do higher rank leves where as before I could scrape by things up to 3 or 4 ranks higher.

The biggest problem is that in order to upgrade my equipment I need to level my crafts so much higher than what I want to make the stuff. Like the synth is a rank 5 synth but needs mats that mean I have to be rank 15 to make of I have to shell out money and try to find them. I just want some new shoes! I don't want to have to focus all my time on FFXIV crafting so I can make them and the changes mean it'll take even longer.

Pachinko

So did they patch some fun into this since the beta or is the opening still almost as much of a slog as the seaside town was ? I neglected to try it during open beta when there was apparently a second start location but I was left thinking that FFXIV needs a few months more patching and polishing, possibly an expansion pack.

Am I wrong ?

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:

Pretty much. I'd think rapid if you want to churn out items fast, bold if you want to try at an HQ item, and standard for...well normal synth.

zlatko

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Meh I've found myself failing a lot more, even using just Standard now. Failed 50% of the synths on a rank 1 leve at rank 9 leather and can't successfully do higher rank leves where as before I could scrape by things up to 3 or 4 ranks higher.

The biggest problem is that in order to upgrade my equipment I need to level my crafts so much higher than what I want to make the stuff. Like the synth is a rank 5 synth but needs mats that mean I have to be rank 15 to make of I have to shell out money and try to find them. I just want some new shoes! I don't want to have to focus all my time on FFXIV crafting so I can make them and the changes mean it'll take even longer.

I failed a level 10 leve as a level 14 leather worker. I tried to standard my way through it and got not even 1 of the 4 items completed. This update def. made crafting worse for me. I swear on my life I failed making 1 item once for all the leves I had done, and now with this update I have bombed 2 leves entirely.

I can only imagine how much worse it will be for items we create on our own since it seems on leves the success rate is actually increased.(Like a level 5 armor leve lets you make level 27 head equipment)

So I tried to experiment with the left over materials once I had already bombed and seem to get this:

white orb= standard works often
yellow orb = 50/50 chance a rapid will work. bold and standard failed every time.
red= rapid worked once, standard failed everytime. Opted to just wait on these.
rainbow color = standard works often, rapid failed often.

This was from weaving, leather working, and armorer. Anyone else seeing the same pattern?

LaneDS

Pachinko said:
So did they patch some fun into this since the beta or is the opening still almost as much of a slog as the seaside town was ? I neglected to try it during open beta when there was apparently a second start location but I was left thinking that FFXIV needs a few months more patching and polishing, possibly an expansion pack.

Am I wrong ?

In my opinion you're very right. I had similar impressions and fooled myself into buying the CE and regret it. Game still needs a lot of work and it'll be a long while until they fix most of the pressing issues. Your mileage may vary though, as others seem to be enjoying it just fine.

Allard

Pachinko

Am I wrong ?

I'd definitely suggest waiting if you are on the fence. The basic foundation for the game imo is awesome, but there are clearly some missing features that is needed to round out the very, very rough edges. The Server Lag with the UI is still there but if you are in areas with minimal people, the lag is near non-existent but with almost everyone sprawled out across the zones now... fat chance you will find a lag free zone.

Basically what this game is missing is features that were clearly supposed to be there but they decided to wait on implementing them till they were 'ready' the result is most the game is fragmented and seems not well thought out as consequence. They clearly have lots of plans for the retainers and the market but right now they are featureless bazaars that work frustrating at best to not at all resulting in a chaotic and extremely frustrating economy system. Broken beyond belief. Guild Leves have a nice middle ground now with the 36 hour timer, Unless I am playing for 5-6 hours a day I rarely run out of them if I doo all 16 availible to me, especially once you run out of Anima, you will need to walk to alot of your destinations. Which wouldn't be as much an issue if we could use chocobos... another feature yet to be implemented.

I'd say if they work on it, get two content updates before the PS3 release, that will be probably the best time to jump in if you are on the fence. Right now its a frustrating (but still fun!) experience that just needs to mature... like a lot.

Teknoman

Anyone else put their authenticator on a keyring? For some reason the plastic on mine is getting air pockets under the cover.

EDIT: Nevermind :lol

TheFatOne

Man Alchemy has been really easy to level up. All you need is fire shards and dirty water. One fire shard per synth it's really awesome. Is any ls sack holder in Limsa Lominsa rigth now I could really use an invite. My name is Daedalus Verrier.

zlatko

Banned
Someone on Gaf a couple days back said something around the lines of," Are we experience a exp boost on crafting during the CE days before the standard edition comes out?"

Then today they change the crafting process to be harder...so it seems like they def. planned this out. Have the CE guys level up a buncha crafts to the 10-15 range, have them put items in bazaar, now standard guys have things to buy instead of leveling crafts themselves.

omfg..

teknoman was trading me gloves and the server dies on the trade window!? :lol

zlatko said:
Someone on Gaf a couple days back said something around the lines of," Are we experience a exp boost on crafting during the CE days before the standard edition comes out?"

Then today they change the crafting process to be harder...so it seems like they def. planned this out. Have the CE guys level up a buncha crafts to the 10-15 range, have them put items in bazaar, now standard guys have things to buy instead of leveling crafts themselves.

Seriously doubt that...

I mean even doing Quick Synths you would realize that it was bugged as shit broke and u barely lost durability.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I absolutely cannot play this game, it is unplayable.

Because my computer can barely run it. I can do things, but slowly, and NPCs will sometimes take up to 2minutes to load. It's worse for PCs. It's nice to run around and get a feel of things before my stuff comes on monday (new computer parts :p) but it's really showing the age of my computer.

zlatko

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
omfg..

teknoman was trading me gloves and the server dies on the trade window!? :lol

Seriously doubt that...

I mean even doing Quick Synths you would realize that it was bugged as shit broke and u barely lost durability.

Yeah I do too, but his prediction/theory was somewhat right, because it did play out that way. :p

I still think this new system right now loses a bit too much of durability on standard synths compared to rapid synths. Standard should be more like if you gain 10% progress, and succeed, you lose 3-4 durability, but if you fail you gain 1-3% progress and lose 5-7 durability.

Right now when I gain 10% and succeed it still knocks off like 16+ durability which is super high for a standard if you ask me.

Atrus

Gold Member
The update took the fun out of crafting.

Just about all of the synths I was able to make before are now next to impossible. If you fail on a rapid just once, you loose too much to ever recover. If you click standard all the way through, you'll never get to a 100 and Bold, well Bold is for stuff you can already do.

I barely even managed to make simply copper nuggets thanks to the massive losses on Rapid and the lack of gains on Standard. Effectively, you need to get the guild boosts just to reduce the difficulty of it all, but it's pretty much not fun anymore.

I'm pretty pissed actually. I should have just grinded the hell out of crafting before this utterly moronic update kicked in.

Cmagus

Atrus said:
The update took the fun out of crafting.

Just about all of the synths I was able to make before are now next to impossible. If you fail on a rapid just once, you loose too much to ever recover. If you click standard all the way through, you'll never get to a 100 and Bold, well Bold is for stuff you can already do.

I barely even managed to make simply copper nuggets thanks to the massive losses on Rapid and the lack of gains on Standard. Effectively, you need to get the guild boosts just to reduce the difficulty of it all, but it's pretty much not fun anymore.

I'm pretty pissed actually. I should have just grinded the hell out of crafting before this utterly moronic update kicked in.
See I find that Weird I'm the complete opposite I've been crafting for the last few hours and haven't failed anything at all infact everything I have has gone through in a breeze.

demonkaze

I haven't had the chance to play this for the last two days and I'm missing playing it despite it's faults.

Has the "target is already engaged" bug been fixed yet? I get this all the time in parties causing me to just stand there and lose out on sp.

zlatko

Banned
Further update on crafting patch. It seems the lower level the craft, the less of a problem standarding your way through is. However, the second you are at something level 10+ your craft to synth is where failure sky rockets.

This patch def. made crafting failure more common and that blows big.

Edit: I literally can't make stuff I was making the other day now after the patch. Undyed cotton cloth I was able to craft, but now it's impossible no matter how I approach it. If I even TRY a rapid and it fails I lose 31 durability. THAT'S TOO FUCKING MUCH. I basically have to try and pray that standard makes it to the end which after 4 attempts failed it didn't.

This is too big of a polar opposite from how it was. First it was really easy, now it's stupid hard because of durability loss on fails. I pray there is a patch in the next 24 hours, because as it is I feel stuck in the game. I can't craft gear to level crafts/gather/exp better, so therefore I can't do any of those things without being a gimp at them.

I think the system COULD stay the way it was if SquareEnix would stop being so tight lipped about their own damn system and tell us wtf we are supposed to do on the different colors for crafts and what all effects crafts and how. Trying to find a piece of hay in a needle stack is what this is at the moment.

Teknoman

demonkaze said:
I haven't had the chance to play this for the last two days and I'm missing playing it despite it's faults.

Has the "target is already engaged" bug been fixed yet? I get this all the time in parties causing me to just stand there and lose out on sp.

Havent had the problem all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom